PDA

View Full Version : Howard

luskentyre
25-Oct-07, 23:12
Apologies if this is a bit self-indulgent, but I wanted to share Howards recent story with everyone.

Howard was found at Dounreay, a 6-month old feral kitten who was very malnourished and had a 50/50 chance of survival. That was 13 years ago.

On 31st July I came home to an answering machine message to say Howard had been run over that morning and was at the vets. I rushed over to see him but he was in a bad way. His pelvis was broken, his tail was badly cut, one leg was paralysed and they thought he was blind. He didn't respond to me since he was in shock and he'd also had a blow to the head.

The vet didn't have much hope that he would make it through the night.

He did make it though, and I got him home a few days later. Luckily his sight was ok. He couldn't walk though and could only move by dragging himself along with his one good front leg. He had to be confined to the porch for 6 weeks so that the pelvis could heal. Antibiotics were administered 3 times a day as well as painkillers.

Now, almost three months later, I'm glad to say that Howard is much better. His pelvis and tail have healed. His front leg is still paralysed from the "elbow" down, but he's getting about just fine. Put it this way, I found him half-way up a ladder the other night!

I can't let him out on his own, but we do go for walks with him on a lead. He's getting used to the idea, although I have to disagree with the product description - "allows you to easily guide your cat in the direction you want" - aye, right!

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say that hope goes a long way and also to say "thanks" to those who gave me hope that Howard would recover. Special thanks to Liz who was so helpful and never gave up hope!

Here's a short clip of Howard in action the other day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMJyxUzD1Ig

Liz
25-Oct-07, 23:43
I am absolutely thrilled at how well Howard has recovered.

It just shows how amazing animals are but also you must take credit as a devoted owner who did everything he could to ensure a good recovery.

So well done to you and Howard!

He is an amazing cat and brilliant at Ping Pong as well!!!

Howard's story should give hope and encouragement to any owner whose pet is unfortunate enough to suffer illness or injury.

evelyn
25-Oct-07, 23:56
That is such a lovely story. What a lucky boy he is having someone like yourself to nurse him back to good health.
He has a mean lob at the ping pong!
evelyn

carasmam
25-Oct-07, 23:59
Aahh what a great video. He's very agile for 13 isn't he? Also considering what he went through - as Liz says - an inspiration to anyone who is having a traumatic time :cool:

kriklah
26-Oct-07, 08:35
Well arent black cats supposed to be lucky???

Similar story with my Bingbing. When she was 3yrs old i came home to find her at the top of the driveway, laid down and our other cat, Tribble, sitting with her, i just assumed theyd been playing until i opened the door and Tribble followed me in but Bing just lay there, then started to pull herself along with her front paws. She couldnt move her back end atall. i carefully (didn't want to cause more damage) lifted her into a box and called the vet out. He check her by squeezing her paws and tail hard with no responce, looked like her back was probably broken, didnt hold much hope of recovery, but would take her in over night. (i even signed the consent form just in case). Next morning i went in to the vets, having been crying all night, i expected to be told she didnt make it. The vet himself was out at the time but the nurse called him as he wanted to speak to me first. He was very suprised - hed never seen a cat recover from such injuries before!!!!! He'd given her an anti-inflamitry jab, and that morning she was back on her feet!!!! we can only assume shed had be hit by a car and the brusing left her temporarily paralized. It took a few weeks for her to be fully recoverd but shes still around now, 11 1/2 yrs old now and still going strong, no idea how many lives she has left (she fallen off our roof at least once that we know of!!) amasing how resilient animals can be.

ive lost Tribble at age 9, (unspecific cause) but have since taking in Tarmac, a feral kitten that was playing chicken with my sisters car on the A9!!! and Mistoffelees who was dumped in a bag by a burn in wick at about 6 weeks old, she was the cat that had her kittens in a tree back in july!!!

guess some cats are just luckier than others!!!!