PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Reset?

Rheghead
25-Oct-07, 21:52
The Org member list has grown a lot since the reputation facility was introduced under controversy many moons ago. Because of that, I thought it might be nice to ask admin to have the rep reset back to zero in the new year?:confused

What does everyone else think about that?

Ricco
25-Oct-07, 21:54
Aw, give us a chance to catch up. :eek:

sam
25-Oct-07, 21:58
Makes no difference to me, but as there are always going to be people coming and going would it not have to be reset a regular basis, then you have those who are on all the time, those who are on sometimes and others who are very rarely on.
so would reseting it really make a difference?

anneoctober
25-Oct-07, 22:02
I'm with Ricco, I would like to get the chance of building up my rep (such as it is!) and see if I can achieve the dizzy heights of "Rep Woman" by 2010. ;)

Thumper
25-Oct-07, 22:08
Good Lord Rheghead!I am trying SO hard to build mine up and you want to take it away?Never, ever, no, no, no!Don't do this to me...I can't cope...I have to go thump something now [lol] BTW Why does the guys with a lot of good rep points green thingy glow at the end???? x

Jeemag_USA
25-Oct-07, 22:09
I am not sure what is the point of resetting the rep, might need to explain it a bit more as I don't understand why it needs to be reset. I have a very good rep and lots of very nice comments so I'd rather it was not reset. The rep thing is not something that needs a lot of time to be built up, if you post a lod of good things a lot of people appreciate it and they rep you, this can happen in a couple months or a year. If I could think of a valid reason for resetting it I'd probably agree but I can't think of one?

Julia
25-Oct-07, 22:19
No Way, No How! I don't see the point in resetting it at all, there a quite a lot of members who have not yet made it to the member's lists as they have not posted enough even though they may well have been members for quite some time.

I suspect you (Rheghead) have the most postitive reps, I'm proud of my wee green boxes even though there aren't that many of them. Yet!

rockchick
25-Oct-07, 22:19
What's the point of having good rep if it's to be wiped clean because new members haven't had the chance to accumulate as many points?

I consider rep points on similar lines as I consider ebay "feedback" - it gives me a measure to hold someone against, when I perhaps have never spoken to that person before.

Leave them where they are...let the newbies win their own.

Angela
25-Oct-07, 22:33
Awwww, no, please don't take my rep away! :~(

I really appreciate folk taking the trouble to give me good rep, and I wouldn't want good rep I've given others to be worthless either.

Resetting rep to zero would just distort things - especially when you see how many posts people have made, you can get an idea of both quantity and quality :)

The only thing I find frustrating is having to spread rep around. I do understand that it's to prevent people repeatedly giving good rep to their pals, but it's annoying when you genuinely want to show appreciation for a good post and aren't allowed to.

johno
25-Oct-07, 22:34
well, believe it or not i have pretty good rep, :Razz regardless of all the infractions ive recieved, :eek: but i could,nt care less if it was zero,ed.
why does it need to be anyway. ps, so i did,nt bother to vote.

golach
26-Oct-07, 00:20
The Org member list has grown a lot since the reputation facility was introduced under controversy many moons ago. Because of that, I thought it might be nice to ask admin to have the rep reset back to zero in the new year?:confused

What does everyone else think about that?
Honestly Rheg why, would we change our reps, I love my bad reps, it makes me who I am.[lol]

helenwyler
26-Oct-07, 00:35
Honestly Rheg why, would we change our reps, I love my bad reps, it makes me who I am.

Ah golach!

You're tempting us now![lol]

Just for clarification...and as you know about these things;)...do you get points deducted for bad reps?

I've so far, but narrowly, escaped spotless.

Helen

Mr_Me19
26-Oct-07, 07:52
I wouldn't mind it being reset (here and on other vBulletin forums).

I have occasionally recieved bad rep but with good comments. And so I look bad for doing good! :lol:

I wouldn't really mind if it was a genuine statement. Just when it was supposed to be positive and I got negative.

Lolabelle
26-Oct-07, 09:39
Ahh, no thanks, I'll keep mine. I really value the comments I have, and we all have to start somewhere.

But I have one comment that is really nice, but with a red dot, is that a mistake do you think???

bluelady
26-Oct-07, 09:59
Im proberly been thick here but what is a disabled reputation ?

northener
26-Oct-07, 10:31
Im proberly been thick here but what is a disabled reputation ?

A reputation that walks with a limp!:D

You can change your personal settings so you don't get repped unless you want to be.

Personally, I like to have my ego massaged as much as possible.....

Jeemag_USA
26-Oct-07, 12:12
Not sure if everyone knows this or not by reading some of the above. Rep points having nothing to do with your post count or your member/orger/1k orger status. They are two seperate things.

Angela
26-Oct-07, 12:27
Not sure if everyone knows this or not by reading some of the above. Rep points having nothing to do with your post count or your member/orger/1k orger status. They are two seperate things.

That's what I had in mind when I posted above, Jeemag. If you reset a person's rep to zero, but don't reset their post count to zero at the same time, it could look as if thy had made a huge number of posts that nobody had approved of. Poor Rheghead would look as if he'd made over 4,000 posts and got no good rep for them! :(

I'm not sure if everyone knows that the rep given by each Orger varies....as far as I can make out, rep given by an Orger who has a higher rep, is more "valuable" and therefore gives you, the recipient, more points.

I'd be interested in knowing how this works -whether other things such as length of membership and post count also increase the "value" of the rep one Orger gives another. :confused

northener
26-Oct-07, 14:15
That's what I had in mind when I posted above, Jeemag. If you reset a person's rep to zero, but don't reset their post count to zero at the same time, it could look as if thy had made a huge number of posts that nobody had approved of. Poor Rheghead would look as if he'd made over 4,000 posts and got no good rep for them! :(

I'm not sure if everyone knows that the rep given by each Orger varies....as far as I can make out, rep given by an Orger who has a higher rep, is more "valuable" and therefore gives you, the recipient, more points.

I'd be interested in knowing how this works -whether other things such as length of membership and post count also increase the "value" of the rep one Orger gives another. :confused

Ye Gods

This is getting as complex as voting in Scotland.

I'd better start toadying around the more 'established' posters and restrict my more colourful and insulting responses to those who are not worthy.

Nah, that would be boring.

quirbal
26-Oct-07, 20:27
I don't even know how you get rep so it doesn't make a difference to me.

horseman
26-Oct-07, 21:35
Leave it alone if it a'int broke.

canuck
26-Oct-07, 22:00
I don't even know how you get rep so it doesn't make a difference to me.

quirbal, on that blue line at the top of the caithness.org page the first words on the left are 'User CP'. Click on that. Down the page you will find the rep comments sent to you when people 'repped' you.

The number of points from each orger vary according to the number of green rep boxes which that orger has. When Rheghead sends good reps (and he does) you get about a bazillion points. The rest of us vary from about 3 to 30 points.

To send a good rep, click on the scales on the top right hand corner of the post.

quirbal
26-Oct-07, 22:58
Cheers for the rep Canuck. Who knows maybe you might get some in return?:)

mccaugm
26-Oct-07, 23:17
What exactly do you have to do to get a good "rep"?

Bobinovich
26-Oct-07, 23:23
It's usually down to the quality of the post which makes someone want to give good (or bad) reputation.

Although I've got my reputation turned off I've still received good rep along with some great comments - occasionally I go in and turn the rep on so I can read the comments, then turn it back off!.

Niall Fernie
27-Oct-07, 10:18
Hopefully I can answer the questions about rep points and rep altering points:

Reputation starts at 10 points for all users.

Users must have at least 30 posts and at least 30 rep points before they can affect another users rep.

To begin with users have 1 rep altering point.

For every 180 days registered, users gain 1 rep altering point.

For every 500 posts users gain 1 rep altering point.

For every 200 rep points, users gain 1 rep altering point.

The reputation levels where you get a green square are:

-50, -10, 0, 10, 50, 150, 250, 350, 450, 550, 650, 1000, 1500, 2000

quirbal
27-Oct-07, 11:33
I have 59 points, so shouldn't I have more than 1 square.:confused

Niall Fernie
28-Oct-07, 09:01
All you get at 50 points is a change in the little saying when you hover over the square, should be extra squares from 150 onwards.

Lolabelle
28-Oct-07, 11:02
Hopefully I can answer the questions about rep points and rep altering points:

Reputation starts at 10 points for all users.

Users must have at least 30 posts and at least 30 rep points before they can affect another users rep.

To begin with users have 1 rep altering point.

For every 180 days registered, users gain 1 rep altering point.

For every 500 posts users gain 1 rep altering point.

For every 200 rep points, users gain 1 rep altering point.

The reputation levels where you get a green square are:

-50, -10, 0, 10, 50, 150, 250, 350, 450, 550, 650, 1000, 1500, 2000

:eek: I am more confused than ever

laguna2
28-Oct-07, 11:11
Totally confused!!

But please, leave the few good rep points I have as they are :D