PDA

View Full Version : I am bursting for a wii !!!!

catnip
25-Oct-07, 20:42
Hey it looks like the Nintendo Wii is the Furby of this years Christmas, you cant get one anywhere.
The old boy very upset as it was going to be in his stocking this year, I suppose we have to keep on trying.
Out of interest, how many of you orgers out there are also needing a Wii !!!
:mad:

mums angels
25-Oct-07, 20:52
well i was in woolworths 2 days ago and the lady infront was asking for a wii and she was told that her name and number would be taken and she should get one at end of next week , however i was told by someone else that they had asked there and was told they had none and didn't know when they would get any .

we have the wii and at first it was never off but hasnt been on now for a cpl months and doubt it will now hubby has the ps3

scotsboy
25-Oct-07, 20:54
Loads of them avaialble out here in Saudi. Only problem is they are the US system.........well not sure if that is a problem or not, but they are available.

engiebenjy
25-Oct-07, 21:04
Well, I gave woolies my name and number. Then found one on amazon. Day it arrived , woolies phones and asks me to go and collect my wii! Had to politely decline.

Try this website (you will need to refresh the page). This is where I found my one. You just have to keep checking back, and hope that somebody has one in stock!

http://www.wiigamereviews.co.uk/

catnip
25-Oct-07, 21:04
I would much rather get one from this country, no where on the net has got them either they are all out of stock.:~(

mums angels
25-Oct-07, 21:08
I would much rather get one from this country, no where on the net has got them either they are all out of stock.:~(

when we went to get ours we felt the same ..nowhere had them so we just ended up puting name on list at woolies and they then phoned about a week later to say that they were on the system that morning only problem was that you had to pay then and there over the phone to gaurante it .

good luck finding one :D also keep an eye out on the classified ads on here ..

engiebenjy
25-Oct-07, 21:13
The website I have posted above checks the stock on the major high street retailers, Currys, Dixons etc as well as Amazon and other online retailers.

catnip
25-Oct-07, 21:16
Thanks Engiebenjy will keep that on my favorites, it will be the old boy who will do all the searching, I just gotta pay for it. He is so excited like a wee bairn !!!!

obiron
25-Oct-07, 21:21
think and fingers crossed (cos i have the invoice) mine is on the way.

christie1234
25-Oct-07, 21:26
i have a wii plus two controllers less than six months old seldom used if you are interested leave a contact number or e-mail and i will contact you

JamesMcVean
25-Oct-07, 21:31
I picked up a wii in woolies thurso a few weeks ago, I guessed that there might be a stampede!! Got it for about the same price as online...
BUT...SHOP AROUND ONLINE FOR THE GAMES!!!!
www.blahdvd.com (http://www.blahdvd.com)
and the virgin megastore site are two of the cheapest I found!
Prebooked the Super Mario Galaxy too...
Sonic Versus Mario Olympics...
Ebay is pretty good for new games too, and I am told that Gamecube games work on Wii...picked up Mario Cart for the Gamecube for a tenner!!
That is crimbo almost taken care of...lol

Everyone else gets a book!
:D

scorrie
25-Oct-07, 21:46
There was a mad rush for them last year as well. I managed to get one for my son last Christmas by ordering months in advance. Could have sold it for double the price on eBay nae bother at all but don't think the young chiel would have been impressed!! After the Christmas rush they seemed freely available at £179 just about everywhere. I don't think it helped that most of the games stank to high heaven. With Metroid Prime 3 coming out tomorrow and Super Mario Galaxy finally surfacing (almost a year late) next month, it looks like the prospect of some decent games and the Christmas conundrum solving factors have pushed buyers to the point where they will pay over the odds on eBay. Personally, I didn't find the Wii much of an advance on the Gamecube and there seemed to be many more good/great games for the Gamecube. I certainly wouldn't recommend paying way over the odds for one.

Torvaig
25-Oct-07, 21:46
At the risk of losing my street-cred, what does a wii do? I've just taken receipt of a Rubik's Cube......

Thumper
25-Oct-07, 21:50
At the risk of losing my street-cred, what does a wii do? I've just taken receipt of a Rubik's Cube......
It gives relief Torvaig![lol] x

Torvaig
25-Oct-07, 21:51
It gives relief Torvaig![lol] x

Whew..........

balto
25-Oct-07, 22:24
i work in woolies and we operate a waiting list and so far everyone that we have had on our list in thurso have had a chance to purchase a wii(apart from the few that werent in when we phoned them) we arent getting them into store only on our instore ordering system so my advice for anyone wanting one get your name on the list just to be on the safe side just because you do that doesnt mean you are stuck taking it from us.

grumpyhippo
25-Oct-07, 22:34
Warning.....

You mustn't Wii in public...........................

dandod
25-Oct-07, 22:49
well i was in woolworths 2 days ago and the lady infront was asking for a wii and she was told that her name and number would be taken and she should get one at end of next week , however i was told by someone else that they had asked there and was told they had none and didn't know when they would get any .

we have the wii and at first it was never off but hasnt been on now for a cpl months and doubt it will now hubby has the ps3

the only thing good about the wii is wii sports the rest is not that good. ps3 is much your hubby has made a very wise decision. i have a ps3 best invetsment i have made dont forget it has a built in blu ray player they retail for £800 and the games coming out for it will be the best we habe ever seen. so my advice would be forget about a wii and invest in a ps3 you wont regret it.

*Martin*
25-Oct-07, 23:27
I got a wii free with my contract phone! It's barely used anymore. 1st week it was barely off! Wouldn't mind getting rid o it for a PS3 (now that Gran Turismo 5 has the top gear track) or a 360 but I think the ladies in my life might give me a bitty o grief!

hotrod4
26-Oct-07, 06:16
Good luck getting your hands on a wii.
I got one from Inverness,the boy in gams=estation sold me his for £200 with extra controller.
Didnt think that much of it,sports was good all other games we bought was pants.Medal of honor vanguard was completed in under an hour :(.
Sold it and stick to my 360 which was an excellent investment when i can get on it as my son has taken it over :).

I know its off subject but If anyone has a 360 that no longer works call 360 support as there is now a 3 year gaurantee on the machines as there were a few problems with overheating in the beginning.
Mine was out of gaurantee but i phoned them up and they have taken it for repair free of charge!!!!(mine wasnt overheating just didnt like certain games,wouldnt load).If you dont ask you dont get!!!

teddybear1873
26-Oct-07, 08:21
My fiance is shipping me one from the states. Saving about 50-60 quid. Wal-mart seem to have them in stock

candyfloss
26-Oct-07, 08:53
The website I have posted above checks the stock on the major high street retailers, Currys, Dixons etc as well as Amazon and other online retailers.
That's how we got our Wii too a few months ago,
their great fun and very good at keeping you fit :lol:

Hibeechick
26-Oct-07, 10:02
My fiance is shipping me one from the states. Saving about 50-60 quid. Wal-mart seem to have them in stock

Are you sure it will work? I know that any US games wont work on uk machines? Know a few that were not sure about buying it from the states incase it didn't work.

I got my Wii a couple of weeks ago from Woolies. It's never off.

highlander
26-Oct-07, 10:52
I was just going to post that but hibeechick got in first lol, years ago i got a furbee sent over from the USA, it was at a time when they were like gold dust over here, anyhow i put durcell batteries in it, it spoke a few words then went up in smoke!!!! LOL not to say i was in the dog house, maybe it was to do with british batteries?

Torvaig
26-Oct-07, 13:29
OK, I've researched "wii" on google and it certainly sounds like good fun but you surely must need a lot of room to play with it! Much better than the sedentary games that are on the go so should help with our obesity problems.

(Note to self: buy a wii......);)

VOYAGE
26-Oct-07, 14:12
Had the same problem. My son went round the shops in Edinburgh two weeks ago and he managed to get the last one in Game.

hotrod4
26-Oct-07, 15:27
Maybe I am just being cynical but Wii's were in big supply around the middle of the year.They were in abundance and now on the run up to xmas there are none?
This happened last year and made big publicity for Nintendo, I wonder if its not just some kind of marketing ploy? after all, we are all discussing it here! :)

Victoria
26-Oct-07, 15:42
i've got one already and its fab! ;o)

Bananas
26-Oct-07, 16:57
It seems to be a case of who you know and where you work!

Mrs B works at T*sco* & last week they had six for sale, it was not announced they just appeared on the shelves.

Look & ask locally, I was lucky but this happened 679+ miles away.

If you don't get your hands on one I can tell you they are not good for aged elbow joints.

B.

octane
26-Oct-07, 17:59
There deffo is a uk shortage with only so many coming back into the shops in the run up to christmas. Probally 99% of them are pre-sold already because of the waiting lists in the stores, but theres not going to be enough to meet demand.

It really is a fun console to have and thumbs up to Nintendo for trying a different approach to gaming. Fair enough the graphics are not up to PS3 or the 360 standards but its the interaction and the fact you get off your ringpiece and get involved and put in some effort.

As for USA consoles you will need an adaptor to power up the voltage plus you will only be able to play USA or Japanese games on it as the the tv format is NTSC for this machine.

Im 99% certain you need the three formats to play the wii

UK PAL Wii =PAL GAMES=PAL TV
USA NTSC Wii=NTSC GAMES=NTSC TV

catnip
26-Oct-07, 18:16
Was there a big rush on for them last year when they came out first I do not think there was, it is probably because they have gone down in price a fair bit.

I'm still bursting though !!!!!!!

Getting desparate!!!!!
Christie1234 have sent you a pm !

balto
26-Oct-07, 18:30
aye there was a big rush on them last year to as bad as what there is just now as i have said in a reply i work in woolies and we are operating a waiting list which so far nearly all our customers have been lucky to get a wii.

catnip
26-Oct-07, 20:28
A very big thanks to you all for all your advice

I MANAGED TO GET A WII !!!!!!!

Hopefully tomorrow !
:Razz

scorrie
26-Oct-07, 20:53
Was there a big rush on for them last year when they came out first I do not think there was, it is probably because they have gone down in price a fair bit.

I'm still bursting though !!!!!!!

Getting desparate!!!!!
Christie1234 have sent you a pm !

As I said earlier, there WAS a big rush on them last year, partly because it was launched close to Christmas. The price they launched at last year was £179, exactly the same price as they are now. The retail price has not changed at all, any higher prices were those charged by secondary sellers on eBay etc

octane
26-Oct-07, 21:08
there going £250 tops for the sports pack at the moment plus around £25 postage on ebay and people are just 'wii'ling to pay that for them.

bobsgirl
26-Oct-07, 23:08
I knew that the Wii would have these problems for Christmas time. I bought hubby his for Father's Day. I checked and checked the Woolies website for ages.......to no luck.

My Best mate happened to be checking for me at the same time and managed to book it for me. Woolies said no to me but yes to her on the same day!!

Keep checking as you never know when it will be in stock.

quirbal
26-Oct-07, 23:12
Wii sports is good but the rest of the games are not, sadly, as I actually expected more from the Wii.

catnip
26-Oct-07, 23:13
I GOT ONE !
AND AM VERY HAPPY

bobsgirl
26-Oct-07, 23:14
There is a new Wii Olympics game out, seen it on the net but never found it in a shop yet!! Gotta buy it and try it!!

Fran
27-Oct-07, 03:52
Himself got a Wii from e-bay shop, new, and loves it but finds it hard to master two control things in each hand. I dont understand it myself but enjoy looking at the pictures while he plays it. He has great fun with it. According to the macmillan nurse a lot of disabled people and nursing home residents play it as they enjoy playing golf and tennis from their chair. I love the music on it.

zappster
27-Oct-07, 08:47
as my kids have been growing up ive learnt to get what they want for xmas you REALLY have to do your xmas shopping real early (august, september!)... be it telly tubbies ,tracy island,poochie,Nintendo gamecube,robosapien,Gameboy Advance, nintendo wii or whatever fads going at the time...we've been lucky over the years & manged to get whatever they wanted.Only thing is when a new craze starts getting advertised around now for example ..thats when the chaos starts!!haha
Sad really aint it?