PDA

View Full Version : Help

chocolatechip
25-Oct-07, 16:17
Hey There Orgers I Was Wondering What You Did The First Time You Went On A Plane I Want To Know Because I Never Flown Before

Thumper
25-Oct-07, 16:20
I went to the airport and walked through a tunnel :) No seriously, if you are a wee bit scared about flying try taking Kalms,they are herbal and if you take them for a couple of days beforehand they really will helpcalm you down a bit.Its nothing to be scared of just try to relax and enjoy it x

johno
25-Oct-07, 16:33
Put our hand baggage in the overhead rack then sat down.
really its no different than sitting in a car but a lot safer.
Take a book with you, or you can watch the inflight movie,or an mp3/4 or i pod
actually if your like me the only interesting bit is the take off & landing.

peedie
25-Oct-07, 16:42
Hey There Orgers I Was Wondering What You Did The First Time You Went On A Plane I Want To Know Because I Never Flown Before

try not to worry, i have to fly between wick and aberdeen and i'm not keen on flying. its a little plane i go on. different from the big planes. i'm gettin better at it but still not my fave activity! if you really dont like it speak to one of the air stewards they're really nice and always will tell you whats going on and not to panic. i find if i know whats going on i dont worry so much. good luck! :)

Mister Squiggle
25-Oct-07, 16:48
Are you worried about flying Chocolatechip?
Although have flown so much, I still get butterflies when I'm boarding a plane and I don't like the turbulence. An air steward commented once that I was holding the arm rest so tight I'd probably rip it off, and that was on a 45 minute flight.
There's only two things I do now, and that's have a nice wee drop of the in-flight red wine followed by a good snooze.
Don't do what a friend of mine did once, and take a sedative. She was disembarking in Bahrain and had to be almost carried off the plane, dribbling and muttering. I have heard people swear by Kalms and my aunty wears a special copper clip on her ear which she promises cures travel sickness. Strange, but if it works for her ...

EDDIE
25-Oct-07, 16:52

Some people get sore heads when taking of and landing like me it helps if u suck a sweety

jings00
25-Oct-07, 16:54
first time i wis on a plane i was wee, but got on fine.
second time was years later and i got so nervous i couldn't stop laughing. but it was great!! don't worry about it :-)

teddybear1873
25-Oct-07, 17:00
My face was glued to the window the first time. Short flights are fine, but i find long international flights a bit boring. You could always ask the captain for a wee shotty

hotrod4
25-Oct-07, 17:45
Some people get sore heads when taking of and landing like me it helps if u suck a sweety

I agree i always suck a sweetie when flying as my ears wanna pop (almost made a typo on pop, thank goodness for PREVIEW POST:) )

canuck
25-Oct-07, 20:30

I was seven years old and we were flying from Vancouver to Victoria. I stood in the washroom in the airport and cried my eyes out. I was terrified. My mother was beside herself trying to comfort me. It was one of the flight attendants who talked to me and made me feel safe. Then as we boarded the plane she gave me a lovely smile. That was hundreds of thousands of miles ago. I love flying. In fact if I had to do it all again I might consider being a pilot.

Just be prepared to get packed in and strapped in and pretty much be confined to that position for however many hours the flight is. Do your leg exercises: flexing your toes, your ankles and what you can of your knees.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

bekisman
25-Oct-07, 20:46
1966 hit CAT (clear air turbulence) over Switzerland, plane dropped out of sky, overhead lockers opened, people thrown all over..
1967 On landing in Tehran window imploded
1969 On landing at Kai Tak (Hong Kong) in a Hercules; undercarriage caught fire
1974 On landing at Luton in storm aircraft lurched; wing grazed the side of runway.
BUT I'm still happy to fly - do about three medium flights a year, and I'm still here.. For years I would sit rigid 'waiting' for 'something' to happen -I never took my seatbelt off. But nowadays aircraft safety takes the uppermost.
I always get on up the rear steps - sit by a window, and as we taxi down the runway, lift off, that momentary drop, before heading up to flying altitude, uppermost in my mind is the pilot and second officer want to live too!..
And don't forget (I was told) no aircraft has been destroyed by turbulence, you're bound to get bumps as after all you'll be flying the distance of three football pitches each second..

Julia
25-Oct-07, 22:34
It's a great and exciting experience! One of my first flights I panicked and made all the kids cry! [lol]

It's the angle of the take-off that goes for me, I'm scared of heights.

horseman
25-Oct-07, 22:52
Good post chocolatechip-us lot go to usa in near future an oh has never flown before-hovercraft is nearest-she is ever so apprehensive-not to mention having kittens about it!
All me wise words are not having the desired effect,so seems i will have to handcuff her an drag on next to me an sing to her-that would distract the devil- will let you know if there is a contrary outcome;)

chocolatechip
25-Oct-07, 23:09
Thanks orgers but the flight is only in the uk planning on going down south to england, but I am so terrified that i have asked my dad to come with me on the plane:)

Riffman
25-Oct-07, 23:23
My first flight that I took was back in '95 on Fokker 75. It seated 75 people and if things went wrong you were Focked....

But on a more serious note, I both love and hate flying. I love being up there and looking down at the ground, but when I start thinking about the fact that I am 35,000ft in the air doing 500mph and have no parachute....

:D

I reckon that since '95 I have clocked over 120 flights, before the days of wannabe terrorist I used to go up front and chat to the pilots and even did some jump seat landings.

The only time I have been really scared when flying was when I was in the left seat of a cessna and in control of it :)

I feel a lot safer flying than driving my wee car through Thurso, and statistically speaking it is the safest form of transport.

The level of safety features is quite incredible, I had to write essays about them in the past (got me a BSc in Aircraft Maintainance).

So don't worry about it too much, you are in safe hands, the pilot wants to get home for tea too!

Lucy
26-Oct-07, 17:42
The first time i went on an airoplane was about 30years ago. coming from glasgow back to wick. we had a change in aberdeen, they gave us the wrong boarding pass and the first we knew about it was when the captain said "if you now look out the right hand side you will see we are passing over Wick" Eeeek, stop the plane this is where i get of!!!!!. When we landed in shetland we had a lovely free dinner and put on the next plane back to wick. i can now say i have been to Shetland for the day!!. With security this would never happen now-a-days.

i am off on long haul on Monday (approx 10hrs). iv'e got the book, PSP and the sweeties, and hoping for some decent films.

Ricco
26-Oct-07, 20:37
Absolutely loved it. But then, flying is in the genes - my dad was a pilot and all the men in our family find it natural.

botheed
26-Oct-07, 21:30
Hey There Orgers I Was Wondering What You Did The First Time You Went On A Plane I Want To Know Because I Never Flown Beforei was sick:(

nicnak
26-Oct-07, 21:33
Well the first time I ever went on a plane I jumped out -literally!
My first flight was a parachute jump and it was absolutely fantastic and has had me hooked ever since!

catnip
26-Oct-07, 23:10
Took a good few stiff drinks before boarding, I was just peppering it, but why be afraid of flying, be afraid of the ground cause thats where you would land !:confused

I dont like flying.

chocolatechip
27-Oct-07, 00:05
It's like I said before I am nervous because I am going on my own but trying to persuade my dad to come with me but I don't think he will, so I can imagane myself screaming and wanting to stay home, I'm that scared about heights that I won't even go on high scary rides at the fair ground:roll:

bluelady
27-Oct-07, 00:09
1966 hit CAT (clear air turbulence) over Switzerland, plane dropped out of sky, overhead lockers opened, people thrown all over..
1967 On landing in Tehran window imploded
1969 On landing at Kai Tak (Hong Kong) in a Hercules; undercarriage caught fire
1974 On landing at Luton in storm aircraft lurched; wing grazed the side of runway.

Remind me NEVER to book e same flight as you [lol][lol]

Margaret M.
27-Oct-07, 02:47
I'm that scared about heights that I won't even go on high scary rides at the fair ground:roll:

I have no head for heights -- anything higher that the fourth rung (on a good day) on a ladder and I am petrified. I cannot look out of a window if it is several floors up but for some reason flying does not bother me in the least. If I am in the backseat of a car, I can be tossing my cookies in no time flat but I have never felt queasy when flying. Just try it, I'm sure you will be fine.

Ricco
27-Oct-07, 08:50
I have no head for heights -- anything higher that the fourth rung (on a good day) on a ladder and I am petrified. I cannot look out of a window if it is several floors up but for some reason flying does not bother me in the least. If I am in the backseat of a car, I can be tossing my cookies in no time flat but I have never felt queasy when flying. Just try it, I'm sure you will be fine.

There is an interesting theory that vertigo only has an effect if you are still attached to the ground - ie a tall building. In a plane you break your link with the ground and therefore have a new 'ground' - the base of the plane. Therefore no vertigo.

Metalattakk
27-Oct-07, 08:57

Ditto. I can't abide heights either, and get car-sick watching people's home videos. I have to fight the wife for the window-seat on a 'plane though!. :D

It's almost surreal looking out of an aeroplane window. Flew over the Pyrenees on the way to Majorca once, and the view out the window was awesome.

If you're going to be flying on your own, for the first time, just take a look around you at the other people on your flight before take-off. See how calm and relaxed they are. It's all easy-peasy, trust me.

Oh, and if you can, chocolatechip, get a seat at the back of the 'plane. After all, when was the last time a 'plane reversed into a mountain? :lol:

chocolatechip
27-Oct-07, 14:48
Why would I want a back seat in the plane? I want a seat not beside the window, so that I am near steps to get out quickest and near other people:lol:

Yoda the flump
27-Oct-07, 14:59
Why would I want a back seat in the plane? I want a seat not beside the window, so that I am near steps to get out quickest and near other people:lol:

Not sure you want to sit at the back.

I was flying into Manchester on an Eastern Airways Jetstream and was sitting near the front. Halfway through the flight another passenger can and sat in an empty seat in the front.

On disembarking I found out why, a guy sitting in one of the back seats had vomited everywhere (and I mean everywhere).

Thing to remember about flying is if there is an accident it is many times more likely to happen on the way to the airport.

WЄЄKЄŔ
27-Oct-07, 15:03
I did a number 2 . :lol:

bekisman
27-Oct-07, 15:09
Hi bluelady

not had any real problems for years, had a very bumpy landing (Ryanair) during a storm at Glasgow Prestwick in 06, folk screaming, but all was well in the end - the captain got a round of applause, which was very nice, and on a short flight from Budapest up to Warsaw (with Sky Europe) had hydraulic fluid dripping from the ceiling all over me - but turned out to be condensation from an oxygen bottle, that's about it really..

For Chocolatechip; have a look at this "I Will Fly" site, some help there..
http://www.iwillfly.com/clinics/clinics.htm (http://www.iwillfly.com/clinics/clinics.htm)

and finally... Just think; 'How many commercial airline flights are there per day in the world?'
Answer:
There are at least 49,315 per day - think about it..

rockchick
27-Oct-07, 15:25
My first flight I was very nervous...I still don't like take-off and landing, but the bits in-between are no different than sitting on a bus.

I would suggest if you are scared of heights make sure you are on an aisle seat. Alternatively, there should be covers for the windows that you can slide over so you can't see outside (except these need to be opened for take-off and landing).

The aircraft noise level is less in the front of the plane than in the back - but the drone can drown out other passengers, which can be a bonus, so the back may be the place for you.

Finally, instead of sucking on a sweet, I suggest bringing chewing gum with you. Chewing it enables your ears to pop when the air pressure changes and also helps you relax (instead of clenching your jaw).

Oh, and don't make any jokes about airport security when you're going through the airport. They take that stuff really seriously and you can find yourself getting kicked off the flight before you get on.

Good luck!