PDA

View Full Version : Litter

Anji
25-Oct-07, 12:26
I had the misfortune to follow a van belonging to a Wick firm on the Groats to Wick road yesterday about 12.30pm. Just before we reached Reiss, a bit of paper was thrown from the passenger window. About three minutes later, more litter was thrown out, including a crisp bag. Obviously, the van passenger was enjoying his lunch.
What is wrong with people like this, who cannot see that they are destroying the beauty of Caithness? I could have understood it, to an extent, if it had been tourists, but they were obviously locals. I would write to the firm if I thought it would make any difference, but my letter would probably be thrown out of a van window!

xx_chickie
25-Oct-07, 12:29
I had the misfortune to follow a van belonging to a Wick firm on the Groats to Wick road yesterday about 12.30pm. Just before we reached Reiss, a bit of paper was thrown from the passenger window. About three minutes later, more litter was thrown out, including a crisp bag. Obviously, the van passenger was enjoying his lunch.
What is wrong with people like this, who cannot see that they are destroying the beauty of Caithness? I could have understood it, to an extent, if it had been tourists, but they were obviously locals. I would write to the firm if I thought it would make any difference, but my letter would probably be thrown out of a van window!

RRRG. This sort of thing makes me so angry!! People have no consideration whatsoever! There's no need for it, but it seems there's nothing we can do about it :(.

Does anyone know how successful the enforecment of fixed penalties litter dropping has been? :confused

northener
25-Oct-07, 12:30
Stick the company name on here. If the owners of the firm get wind of it, believe me, they'll make sure it doesn't happen again.

Anji
25-Oct-07, 12:33
Stick the company name on here. If the owners of the firm get wind of it, believe me, they'll make sure it doesn't happen again.

Big red van, it was, the name MM Miller on it. Shame on you!

Rheghead
25-Oct-07, 12:34

Did you get the reg number? Next time report it to the police and make a statement if you feel so strongly about it. The least they could do is have a word with the driver but they could bring a case provided there is enough evidence.

xx_chickie
25-Oct-07, 12:35

Would be nice if the company saw this!! :D

Dman
25-Oct-07, 12:36
Funny that does'nt come as a suprise

henry20
25-Oct-07, 12:40
http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=201939&postcount=19

Well the buyer for them posts here, so it's a possibility.

Anji
25-Oct-07, 12:41
I did memorise the reg. but I was on my way to work, and had forgotten it by the time I found a pen and paper. I was so mad that if I had not been on my way to work, I would have followed the van until it stopped and had words with the culprit myself. I don't know if the police could have done anything. What evidence did I have? There were at least two in the van and only me in my car. It would have been their word against mine.

Did you get the reg number? Next time report it to the police and make a statement if you feel so strongly about it. The least they could do is have a word with the driver but they could bring a case provided there is enough evidence.

floyed
25-Oct-07, 12:42
Im not sure that was the right thing to do by putting the companys name on here, as its not there fault one of their employees threw rubbish out the window. If you felt that strongly about it why didn't you follow the van and speak to him yourself or go to the company and find out who it was.

xx_chickie
25-Oct-07, 12:43
http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=201939&postcount=19 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=201939&postcount=19)

Well the buyer for them posts here, so it's a possibility.

Good investigation work, henry!!

floyed
25-Oct-07, 12:44
I did memorise the reg. but I was on my way to work, and had forgotten it by the time I found a pen and paper. I was so mad that if I had not been on my way to work, I would have followed the van until it stopped and had words with the culprit myself. I don't know if the police could have done anything. What evidence did I have? There were at least two in the van and only me in my car. It would have been their word against mine.

We must of posted at the same time, i see now you where going to your work and couldn't follow the van.

Anji
25-Oct-07, 13:13
I did have reservations about stating the company name, but I think that a stern word from the boss would have more effect than a stern word from little me. An employee represents the company he/she works for. I've already answered your question in another reply.

quote=floyed;287773]Im not sure that was the right thing to do by putting the companys name on here, as its not there fault one of their employees threw rubbish out the window. If you felt that strongly about it why didn't you follow the van and speak to him yourself or go to the company and find out who it was.[/quote]

elamanya
25-Oct-07, 13:24
dont think it would be a good idea for a woman on her own to approach strange men in a van .. not in this day and age im afraid .

Ricco
25-Oct-07, 13:26

Make it BIG:

MM Miller employ a litter lout!

I hate litter louts. Sitting here I am looking down the road and there is litter everywhere down the street. In fact, I'll get a bag and go out and clear it up in a minute. [disgust]

Ash
25-Oct-07, 13:37
its not just litter that bugs me, yesterday a woman in a 4x4 was in my street rolled down her window and through a fag end into my garden, by the time i got to door she had driven off, this irrates me, my front garden is like an ashtray im fed up of cleaning up other peoples mess[evil]

northener
25-Oct-07, 13:47
I believe Millers have been informed about this thread.

Will be interesting to see if there's any response;)

Julia
25-Oct-07, 14:10
This is a top peeve of mine! I have no time for litterbugs. I quite often see school kids leaving the bakery, pie in hand, and they just chuck the paper bag on the ground right beside the bin. Worse still parents with little ones in buggy's unwrapping sweets and just dropping the wrapper, if you don't teach your kids to put litter in bins then they won't ever bother.

ashaw1
25-Oct-07, 14:23
This totally drives me up the wall, if everyone dropped litter what state would the place be in. In the last week i have been in both Somerfield and Tesco car parks in Wick and on both occasions have come accross a carrier bag from the shop stuffed full of wrappers cans/bottles which someone has just deposited out of their car door. Too lazy to get off their rear ends and walk a hundred yards to the bin or even take it home and put it in their bin. And i must say it is not always the younger generation that are guilty of this.

Liz
25-Oct-07, 14:24
I hate litter!!!!!

Why oh why can't people just take their litter home and put it in the bin?!!!!

Mind you it's not just paper etc, which is bad enough, but found a filing cabinet which had been dumped in a ditch!!!

karia
25-Oct-07, 14:37
Hi Folks,

I live at the edge of a park and see all manner of things strewn about.:eek:

My pet hate is people who park there for a while and empty their ashtrays before leaving.:mad:

Karia

Rheghead
25-Oct-07, 15:10
I believe Millers have been informed about this thread.

Will be interesting to see if there's any response;)

Removal of the thread possibly.

The driver hasn't been found guilty of littering, a good lawyer could think of grounds for doubt that it wasn't MM Miller's van that was the source of the litter, the litter could have been on the road already and the front wheel flicked it up, giving the impression that it came out of the window, for example. No one is denying that litter from vehicles is a problem, but the fact remains is that this company might fear it is being victimised on this forum for a wider problem without due cause, based on one isolated incident.

simple338
25-Oct-07, 15:18
MM Miller take such inconsiderate behaviour seriously. The culprit has now been identified and formally reprimanded as to his conduct while on company business.

Health & Safety Manager
MM Miller (Wick) Ltd

Liz
25-Oct-07, 15:26
MM Miller take such inconsiderate behaviour seriously. The culprit has now been identified and formally reprimanded as to his conduct while on company business.

Health & Safety Manager
MM Miller (Wick) Ltd

Well done!!! It is good to see a company being so responsible!

Anji
25-Oct-07, 15:35
This is one of the reasons that I did not name the firm in the original thread.
However, I know that the litter fell from a hand protruding from the window of that van. I would not have started the thread otherwise. I am sure that the owner of the firm is mature enough to realise that neither I nor anyone else is blaming his firm for the national litter problem.
Are we all supposed to ignore litter louts in case we are accused of victimisation?

Removal of the thread possibly.

The driver hasn't been found guilty of littering, a good lawyer could think of grounds for doubt that it wasn't MM Miller's van that was the source of the litter, the litter could have been on the road already and the front wheel flicked it up, giving the impression that it came out of the window, for example. No one is denying that litter from vehicles is a problem, but the fact remains is that this company might fear it is being victimised on this forum for a wider problem without due cause, based on one isolated incident.

Anji
25-Oct-07, 15:37
Thank you.

Health & Safety Manager
MM Miller (Wick) Ltd

changilass
25-Oct-07, 15:39
Well done MM Miller

Rheghead
25-Oct-07, 15:47
This is one of the reasons that I did not name the firm in the original thread.
However, I know that the litter fell from a hand protruding from the window of that van. I would not have started the thread otherwise. I am sure that the owner of the firm is mature enough to realise that neither I nor anyone else is blaming his firm for the national litter problem.
Are we all supposed to ignore litter louts in case we are accused of victimisation?

I am just merely pointing out that threads on the org where people are accused of offences are usually quickly removed either because guilty is rarely determined or the thread descends into a slanging match of conflicting speculation. As it happens, the incident has apparently been dealt with and Millers haven't took humbrage at being named and shamed. They could easily have taken this thread the other way if they had been petty about it.

floyed
25-Oct-07, 15:58
I am just merely pointing out that threads on the org where people are accused of offences are usually quickly removed either because guilty is rarely determined or the thread descends into a slanging match of conflicting speculation. As it happens, the incident has apparently been dealt with and Millers haven't took humbrage at being named and shamed. They could easily have taken this thread the other way if they had been petty about it.

I agree totally with you Rheghead.

EDDIE
25-Oct-07, 16:56
the most effective way to stop it is to make a note of his registration and complain to the company he works for

burstbucker
25-Oct-07, 18:31
I cant understand that this is on the message boards at all when all that was needed to be done was a simple phone call to the firm. This thread is ridiculous.

connieb19
25-Oct-07, 19:03
A few bits of litter, that's nothing in comparison to what I saw a few weeks ago on the Castletown road. A council lorry filled with rubbish bags was in front of me, there was like a plastic sheet strapped at the back which wasn't on right, black bags were falling out bursting all over the road. I tried flashing my lights to the driver but he didn't notice. This went on all the way to Seater. The lorry lost at least 20 bags of rubbish on the road. [disgust]

karia
25-Oct-07, 19:31
A few bits of litter, that's nothing in comparison to what I saw a few weeks ago on the Castletown road. A council lorry filled with rubbish bags was in front of me, there was like a plastic sheet strapped at the back which wasn't on right, black bags were falling out bursting all over the road. I tried flashing my lights to the driver but he didn't notice. This went on all the way to Seater. The lorry lost at least 20 bags of rubbish on the road. [disgust]

Annoying yes!

However from what you say it was neither intentional nor likely to happen frequently.

You don't say if they returned and picked up the missing bags or whether on reaching your destination you phoned the council to alert them of the situation.

The council would have been obliged to rectify the problem if you had.

Karia

connieb19
25-Oct-07, 19:36
Annoying yes!

However from what you say it was neither intentional nor likely to happen frequently.

You don't say if they returned and picked up the missing bags or whether on reaching your destination you phoned the council to alert them of the situation.

The council would have been obliged to rectify the problem if you had.

KariaDo you really think I was going to wait about to see whether they picked it up? I've better things to do with my time, unlike some eh? :roll:

karia
25-Oct-07, 19:49
Do you really think I was going to wait about to see whether they picked it up? I've better things to do with my time, unlike some eh? :roll:

So you just phoned it in then?:Razz

karia

connieb19
25-Oct-07, 19:59
So you just phoned it in then?:Razz

kariaNo, I would have said if I did. Why does it concern you so much anyway, or are you just trying to add your sarcasm to yet another thread? :roll:

karia
25-Oct-07, 20:17
No, I would have said if I did. Why does it concern you so much anyway, or are you just trying to add your sarcasm to yet another thread?

Sheesh..I only asked!:roll:

So,.. failure to report a road traffic hazard and potential public health issue then!;)

connieb19
25-Oct-07, 20:22
Sheesh..I only asked!

So,.. failure to report a road traffic hazard and potential public health issue then!;)Maybe you could go with your nice white gloves and pick the rubbish up. You're doing nothing else anyway. ;)

connieb19
25-Oct-07, 20:25
Hi Folks,

I live at the edge of a park and see all manner of things strewn about.:eek:

My pet hate is people who park there for a while and empty their ashtrays before leaving.:mad:

KariaI'm sure you've reported these people though karia.

karia
25-Oct-07, 20:25
Maybe you could go with your nice white gloves and pick the rubbish up. You're doing nothing else anyway. ;)

You are right connie, I could do with the diversion from nursing my terminally ill mother...it's just soo not important.

Karia

Ash
25-Oct-07, 20:28
ok think this is getting out of hand:(

Moira
25-Oct-07, 21:37
Guys & Gals - I'm locking this thread. I think the original poster here is satisfied with the outcome and some later posts are becoming way too personal for me.