PDA

View Full Version : Caithnessian Organic Farms?

Rheghead
25-Oct-07, 00:21
Does anyone know if there are farms which have 'organic' status in Caithness? I am particularly interested in organic milk but would love to know of any other areas of organic food production.

engiebenjy
25-Oct-07, 00:24
Yes Rheghead, this is something i've often wondered about, but kept forgetting to ask. Down in Aberdeen land we used to be able to get boxes of seasonal organic veg delivered for a reasonable cost. It really was pot luck what you got in the box, but that was half the fun! And it was tasty too.

spurtle
25-Oct-07, 10:30
Yes Rheghead, this is something i've often wondered about, but kept forgetting to ask. Down in Aberdeen land we used to be able to get boxes of seasonal organic veg delivered for a reasonable cost. It really was pot luck what you got in the box, but that was half the fun! And it was tasty too.

Most crofts would be as good as organic, and mostly better, as they have not converted from a previously intensive regime. This process takes 3 years I think, and cannot beat extensive cultivation over thousands of years! Not many doing direct selling unfortunately, but the new subsidy system might persuade people to start something like a crofters' co-operative (or could that be an oxymoron?). Anybody interested in doing that please say ..........
Andrew Morgan at Noss is organic.

Dreamweaver
25-Oct-07, 10:34
The veg box idea was discussed on here some while ago but nothing has been mentioned recently. I know quite a few people who would like to buy them.

ashaw1
25-Oct-07, 17:32
Yes quite a few people showed an interest in this type of scheme ( myself included ) a while ago. I would be interested to know if anyone has taken the idea any further.

Moira
25-Oct-07, 23:02
Here's a link to a thread started on here some time ago :-
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=8215&highlight=Food+for+thought

I know this does not exactly answer your question Rheghead, but it is a start. I've no idea how this project is going now. I would suspect that demand outstripped capacity.

I'm not a great user of milk - organic or otherwise. I am a great believer of local produce, however and buy it at every opportunity.

Claw
26-Oct-07, 08:37
There are several organic farms, the only commercial farm with produce for selling other than livestock is the egg farm at Clyth mains however all the eggs there go direct to a main supplier in the borders.
due to the funding mechanisim for organic aid most farmers do not stay in the scheme as the payment was a 5 year payment to cover the costs of going organic and the lower yields/stock numbers required.

Rangag on the casewaymire is organic but does not look like the best advert for organic faming.
I think the farm at Noss is also organic and grows grain and livestock.

Most farmers who have left the scheme do so because the higher production costs are not covered by the increase in end product price

Details of members available from the Soil association or SOPA who administer the certification scheme.