PDA

View Full Version : Ebay for xmas pressies.

telfordstar
24-Oct-07, 19:13
Having listened endlessly to my son and daughter harp on and on about what all they want for xmas, I decided to have a wee nose on ebay at the certain toys that they were wanting all brand new and in thier original boxes unopened and was totally amazed at the prices of some of them. A good few companys on ebay were at least £30-£40 cheaper than some of the other internet shops and high street stores including major supermarkrts. Does anyone shop for xmas presents on ebay?

mums angels
24-Oct-07, 19:26
i shopped for most pressoes on ebay last year and was happy with them all , good prices and all brand new .. havnt done this year as i dont seem to be able to find anything cheap enough after you add the p&P ...will keep looking though :D

telfordstar
24-Oct-07, 19:39
i shopped for most pressoes on ebay last year and was happy with them all , good prices and all brand new .. havnt done this year as i dont seem to be able to find anything cheap enough after you add the p&P ...will keep looking though :D

must admit mums angel i have found some of the p&p charges really expensive but im just gona keep loonh=g and chancing my luck with the listings that you can make an offer on:D

Thumper
24-Oct-07, 19:46
I use ebay a lot andbought a lot of prezzie's from it last year,but the p&p has really gone up on things!I have found it cheaper at times to buy as much as poss from one shop or seller so they reduce p&p x

anneoctober
24-Oct-07, 19:53
I use ebay a lot andbought a lot of prezzie's from it last year,but the p&p has really gone up on things!I have found it cheaper at times to buy as much as poss from one shop or seller so they reduce p&p x
I buy all year round, and stock up on kids underwear etc. I usually try to stick with the same sellers, so that they get to know you and again buy a few items to get postage reduced. Only time I got "burnt" was with a kids DVD "Trapdoor" says it all when you think about it :roll: [lol]

porshiepoo
24-Oct-07, 21:03
I buy from ebay alot and if it's for pressies I just make sure they're new and unopened and sealed. I won't buy anything from someone who's p&p is extortionate.

Thumper
24-Oct-07, 21:05
I sold some stuff on ebay recently and thought I would be a nice person and keep my p&p reasonable so charged £3 I nearly died when I went to post it and it cost £4.75! The P O charges have gone way OTT x

mccaugm
24-Oct-07, 22:29
I sold some stuff on ebay recently and thought I would be a nice person and keep my p&p reasonable so charged £3 I nearly died when I went to post it and it cost £4.75! The P O charges have gone way OTT x

My friend is an ebay addict and always advised to get the weighing chart from the Post Office. She said, weigh the goods and charge the price given by the Post Office, otherwise you will lose money. She also said make sure you add a bit extra for the weight of packaging. Good advice I reckon...

Thumper
24-Oct-07, 22:31
My friend is an ebay addict and always advised to get the weighing chart from the Post Office. She said, weigh the goods and charge the price given by the Post Office, otherwise you will lose money. She also said make sure you add a bit extra for the weight of packaging. Good advice I reckon...
You are definately right there!All I had to post was a top!Good lord a few years ago you could post an artic lorry and still have change from a fiver :lol:...lesson learned x

anneoctober
24-Oct-07, 22:51
You are definately right there!All I had to post was a top!Good lord a few years ago you could post an artic lorry and still have change from a fiver :lol:...lesson learned x
while eating your Hovis & cham piece on the way home....... [lol]

Thumper
24-Oct-07, 22:54
while eating your Hovis & cham piece on the way home.......
Anne...I luv ya ;):lol: x

engiebenjy
24-Oct-07, 23:01
I buy loads of stuff from ebay. Have definitely noticed that since the change in the rules about postage, the prices have rocketed. A lot more as well who are trying to say that up here we are offshore.

Basically, I just avoid these people. My main rule with ebay is before i bid, I always check the feedback that a seller has, if it is below 98.5%, and they have lots of feedback, I don't bother.

I have only ever once been stung on ebay, seller had feedback of 94%.

telfordstar
24-Oct-07, 23:22
im like that as well i always have a look at their feedback before i buy from a seller. I went to sell a mobile phone recently it was an ok model and was going for £50 which i was delighted at then i started getting all this messages to my ebay account saying that they wanted to pay so many hundreds for it and could i send it to nigeria i had written that it was uk postage on the listing but oh no. so then just before the mobile listing ended the seling price shot up to £970 (shocking seeing as it was only worth about £90) and was bid by a new bidder. As there was just seconds to go untill it was over it wouldnt let me cancel the bid. so it ended at £970 and the next thing i gets an email from ebay saying that it was a hijacked account and not to send an invoice as they were just trying to get into my paypal account. Thank heavens i never sent an invoice and i had no intention of either it was obvious it was sus. so then had to relist mobile and thankfully got it sold with no problems. Its shocking that folk are praying on people to do that. me personally i go on ebay for a good old bargin :D

Bobinovich
24-Oct-07, 23:22
We've bought our eldest a new Christmas pressie of Ebay and what a bargain! The item was £10, the P&P £25! However the value to us is much higher as, compared with similar items available retail, we'd have to pay over £100 for the closest item.

We both use Ebay for a variety of things and have both bought and sold but, like others, have found postal rates to be much higher of late.

I was selling a laptop recently and got a private PM from someone asking if I'd sell it for £800 and post it to the States - I simply replied that No I wouldn't as who would want to pay £800 for a 2nd hand laptop and that if they contacted me again I'd report them to Ebay!

Julia
25-Oct-07, 00:32
I always check out ebay when looking for any type of purchase, I usually find it cheaper. I use the same method every time, search for 'buy it nows', choose UK only listings and then sort by ascending price thus getting me the best deal, taking postage into consideration as well. I won't buy from anyone who does not state postage in their listings.

The reason the p&p is so high is that it keeps the sellers listing fee and final value fees down, if you sell something for 99p but the postage is £5 then you only pay the fees accumulated from the 99p listing. It sounds a lot but usually items are still cheaper than the high street.

I always weigh items for sale before listing and only charge a wee bit over to cover packaging etc.. The chart from the PO is quite easy to follow, a lot of things seem more expensive to post but on the other hand some stuff is much cheaper. I've sold over 800 items on ebay and think I've got the hang of it.

My favourite sale ~ found an old tv remote control for a set I no longer had, I listed it starting at 99p and it sold for £27! The biggest item I have sold on ebay was a king size bed. Um, yes I am addicted [lol]

telfordstar
25-Oct-07, 13:17
I always check out ebay when looking for any type of purchase, I usually find it cheaper. I use the same method every time, search for 'buy it nows', choose UK only listings and then sort by ascending price thus getting me the best deal, taking postage into consideration as well. I won't buy from anyone who does not state postage in their listings.

The reason the p&p is so high is that it keeps the sellers listing fee and final value fees down, if you sell something for 99p but the postage is £5 then you only pay the fees accumulated from the 99p listing. It sounds a lot but usually items are still cheaper than the high street.

I always weigh items for sale before listing and only charge a wee bit over to cover packaging etc.. The chart from the PO is quite easy to follow, a lot of things seem more expensive to post but on the other hand some stuff is much cheaper. I've sold over 800 items on ebay and think I've got the hang of it.

My favourite sale ~ found an old tv remote control for a set I no longer had, I listed it starting at 99p and it sold for £27! The biggest item I have sold on ebay was a king size bed. Um, yes I am addicted [lol]

wow thats amazing about the remote control i bet you were fair delighted with that one i would of been hahaha. Im just having a clear out as well so what i make fro what in selling might make a start on the old xmas shopping hope to find a good old bargin:D

Valerie Campbell
25-Oct-07, 18:21
Ebay is brilliant pricewise, but do watch out for p&p sometimes. And always pay using PayPal. Everything we've bought has been delivered safe and sound and we've been really pleased with it.

superted
25-Oct-07, 20:25
I shop on play.com for cd,dvd,books and computer games. All are alot cheaper than the high street and they have free p+p on all items!:lol:

Dadie
25-Oct-07, 20:47
we bought a fishtank from ebay which was smashing!

oops sorry i meant smashed!
we ended up getting one locally a lot cheaper so it doesnt always end up cheaper from ebay....(but it is good to look just incase)

obiron
25-Oct-07, 21:24
its ok for somethings but i found last year the dr who stuff youngest wanted was cheaper in argos. some of the items were about £10 dearer and postage on top. so sometimes it pays not to get it off ebay.

Thumper
25-Oct-07, 21:34
I think if it's a popular item you are looking for sometimes ebay is more expensive as they are hoping if you want it badly enough you will pay more!I did it with teletubbies,furbies,tracy island,buzz lightyear etc....omg I am still getting over all those stressful times :( x

Big G
25-Oct-07, 23:05
so sometimes it pays not to get it off ebay.

some people use ebay to get a high price for their item, so sometimes you are actually cheaper going to argos or somewhere.

I have only had one fake item from ebay. It was a bottle of aftershave which said was never opened and blah blah blah. When it came the envelope wasn't only ripped but the bottle had a sticker with the aftershave title written on it and stuck on a second hand bottle and it absolutely stank! :mad: I left him negative feedback and then he had the cheek to leave me negative feedback too saying i took AGES to pay. This person is no longer a member of ebay. :D

Also i bidded on buying a bed and didn't see the bit that said 'collection only' - to this day i am still positive it said 'courier delivery'...anyway he left me negative feedback so i have 2 negatives on my page! Woops!

I quite often buy/sell things on ebay. It's good fun selling!

ashaw1
26-Oct-07, 20:44
I have bought and sold many items on ebay, luckily without any problems. I usually add the p+p onto the item price and use this as a comparison. If i can buy it cheaper elsewhere then i do, if not or it is difficult to locate elsewhere then i use ebay.