PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

hotrod4
24-Oct-07, 18:38
Just wondering how many folks out there are running Vista and what they think of it?

I am running Vista 64 Ultimate and I love it.
The new interface is nice, better security and I love the dreamscenes.

I read before i got it thta most games wont work, Untrue all my games work no bother, I only found problems with small games from the likes of "big fish".

Just curious as most forums seem to pick on Vista.
Me, no way its ace :)

johno
24-Oct-07, 18:45
i had,[ have] vista ultimate ,ran it for a bit but could,nt get nero and several other thing,s to work with it so i uninstalled it and now im back on xp, if you,ve got all your copying stuff nero etc up and running i,d be interested in reinstalling it.when i had it on a lot of the servers would,nt work with vista but im sure it would only be matter of time before the problem was resolved.

huh
24-Oct-07, 18:52
XP. Won't be going to Vista for a while (until SP1 at least). I've toyed with Ubuntu but it intimidates me tbh. I know Windows inside out and only the basics for Linux. It took me half an hour to get it to output in 1280x1024.

Oddquine
24-Oct-07, 18:55
I'm thinking about a new computer. I'm presently using XP Pro, having reluctantly moved up from Windows 98SE...which I loved because I was the boss.

I have come to a compromise with XP. I turned off everything I didn't think I needed running in the background all the time and re-added if I found I needed it. It's surprising how much of XP is pure bloatware, on a par with Norton, McAfee and, I'm afraid the newest crop of Adobe Creative/Web Suites.

So why do I have this feeling that Vista will take over my computer even more than XP did..........and I'm going to have to beg to be allowed to run anything I want unless I invest in GBs of memory.

And anyway what is the difference between the various Vista packages on offer apart from price...and as I'm not much into gaming..........is it backwards compatible with peripherals and programmes for XP..or is that too much to expect?

Julia
24-Oct-07, 19:02
I have the Vista Premium upgrade but have not had the courage to bung it on yet, I'm worried it all may go horribly wrong!

Mr_Me19
24-Oct-07, 19:08
I voted XP but I dual boot with Ubuntu. I tried Vista but got extremely annoyed with it. Wouldn't do much for me. Looked good though. Once SP1 is released I will make the move (although it won't be just that on there, at least one other operating system).

Vista may be more secure, but it just wasn't enough to warrant a new operating system. Maybe XP SP3?

Oddquine
24-Oct-07, 19:17
I voted XP but I dual boot with Ubuntu. I tried Vista but got extremely annoyed with it. Wouldn't do much for me. Looked good though. Once SP1 is released I will make the move (although it won't be just that on there, at least one other operating system).

Vista may be more secure, but it just wasn't enough to warrant a new operating system. Maybe XP SP3?

I'm thinking of having two hard drives when I upgrade as I fancy making learning Linux my winter project.

Ricco
24-Oct-07, 19:50
You won't catch me upgrading for at least a year. Don't like being part of the MS field-tester crew. ;)

horseman
24-Oct-07, 20:02
I am still trying to make sense of xp, an the kids are 'fitting me up' with 2 hard drives an one is so huge I could run the county on it. Not my bag at all but it's about 10 against 1 at present.I will have to look at it an see if it's on or whether to come down on them;) all good fun but:)

cuddlepop
24-Oct-07, 20:05
You won't catch me upgrading for at least a year. Don't like being part of the MS field-tester crew. ;)
Think we'll wait too before we upgrade.Brother just got a new computer with this installed and its been a nightmare.:(

Riffman
24-Oct-07, 20:07
Well my laptop that is in the post has vista on it, but I can see me fixing it up with XP as probably most of my programs won't work....

I was playing on a brand new vista machine and managed to make it crash quite badly. So nothing changes, just the blue screen of death now renders in 3D....

Mr_Me19
24-Oct-07, 20:49
I'm thinking of having two hard drives when I upgrade as I fancy making learning Linux my winter project.

You don't need two hard drives. I have only one. It just has two partitions. As for making linux a winter project.... You might to better to reschedule it as a life project! :lol:

hotrod4
24-Oct-07, 20:49
i had,[ have] vista ultimate ,ran it for a bit but could,nt get nero and several other thing,s to work with it so i uninstalled it and now im back on xp, if you,ve got all your copying stuff nero etc up and running i,d be interested in reinstalling it.when i had it on a lot of the servers would,nt work with vista but im sure it would only be matter of time before the problem was resolved.

I had a beta version of nero up and running without any problems at all on Vista Uiltimate.(maybe i was just lucky)
The only problem i had was the drivers for my 7.1, 24 bit soundcard from creative.
Took alot of contacting them until they released a beta driver which has worked brillinatly(so far!)
Even on my Nvidia 6600 graphics it runs no problem.
I have never had the bluescreen of death on it but did numerous times on XP :(

I had Windows mce 2005,xp pro and XP corporate edition but find Vista Ultimate the best by far its not even memory hungry.Running 2gb of ram and on checking my RAM counter now i have.....1.3gb free.

It looks like I am in the minority though! :) or got a good version of it

Mr_Me19
24-Oct-07, 21:04
Running 2gb of ram and on checking my RAM counter now i have.....1.3gb free.

On XP with 2GB of RAM and firefox open with multiple tabs (memory hog for those of you who aren't firefox users) and i have 1.75GB free.

Vista is far too bloated. XP is bad enough. I'm going to stop now before I go into a big rant. :lol:

*Martin*
24-Oct-07, 21:04
I have Vista Basic 32bit and I don't see why everyone is so against it. I haven't had any problems with any programs (Norton, Photoshop, Office 2003) and various other mutli media programmes that I can't remember just now) The only problem I have had was when it came to broadband. Went with Orange 1st (Won't go into how bad they were but I got to keep the free modem :)) and then with TalkTalk and neither of them had Vista support. The problem turned out to be the modem drivers weren't vista compatible but a quick update sorted that.

I think it has only ever "froze" once and I have had it since February!

Hotrod how do you know how much ram you have free?

Mr_Me19
24-Oct-07, 21:08
If you go to Task Manager and then click the performance tab. There is a frame labelled 'Physical Memory'. All the info you want is in there.

lazytown
24-Oct-07, 21:12
I am using a variety of operating systems, xp, vista, windows server 2003. I only started using vista properly about 3 weeks ago. When I tried using it previously a lot of the drivers I required were not available but thankfully they have now released them.

Personally I think XP is more stable than Vista, I want to change it back to XP but don't have the time at the moment to change it...:~(

Vista is giving me flashbacks of Windows ME...Any other techies out there may remeber how bad that was. But I am sure Microsoft will release a few service packs to sort out the bugs, they have spent to much money to let it slide by like the did with ME.

Bobinovich
24-Oct-07, 22:03
I'm with Ricco for now - I've no doubt there will be no option but to upgrade to Vista in the future, but for now I know XP well and am happy with it.

I've just got the OH a laptop for Christmas and had to search to find one with the necessary spec. and with XP on.

botheed
24-Oct-07, 22:06
Just wondering how many folks out there are running Vista and what they think of it?

I am running Vista 64 Ultimate and I love it.
The new interface is nice, better security and I love the dreamscenes.

I read before i got it thta most games wont work, Untrue all my games work no bother, I only found problems with small games from the likes of "big fish".

Just curious as most forums seem to pick on Vista.
Me, no way its ace :)thats good news. i must admit it will take alot for me to change from xp. a lot of mixed views on vista.

quirbal
24-Oct-07, 22:10
I've got Vista but I wish I kept XP because Vista is rubbish and most of my programs don't work on it.:(

engiebenjy
24-Oct-07, 22:12
I'm with Ricco for now - I've no doubt there will be no option but to upgrade to Vista in the future, but for now I know XP well and am happy with it.

I've just got the OH a laptop for Christmas and had to search to find one with the necessary spec. and with XP on.

Hope that wasnae a secret Bob? (or are you fishing for a good birthday pressie? LOL)

r.rackstraw
24-Oct-07, 22:33
I recently replaced my desktop and it came with Vista installed. Can't say that I have found any benefit from Vista and I don't seem to have as much control of things as I had before.
Also I found that a Vista driver was not available for my printer so I had to buy a new one. Likewise my broadband modem was not compatible with Vista so I had to replace that as well.

Oddquine
24-Oct-07, 22:41
I recently replaced my desktop and it came with Vista installed.

Which is why I've decided to get one custom built......so I can choose my OS (among other things).

Yoda the flump
24-Oct-07, 22:54
I'm running OS X.4.10 (Tiger) and thinking of upgrading to Leopard when it comes out on Friday.....

Its great to see that you Windows users are finally getting an OS that has the potential to compete with what Mac users have had for last few years, shame you will all be falling behind again on Friday.....

Next time you upgrade your PC buy a Mac instead, then you can have the most advanced OS around and still run Windows if you want (or are sad enough to want to!)[smirk]

quirbal
24-Oct-07, 23:02
I'm running OS X.4.10 (Tiger) and thinking of upgrading to Leopard when it comes out on Friday.....

Its great to see that you Windows users are finally getting an OS that has the potential to compete with what Mac users have had for last few years, shame you will all be falling behind again on Friday.....

Next time you upgrade your PC buy a Mac instead, then you can have the most advanced OS around and still run Windows if you want (or are sad enough to want to!)[smirk]

I think your opinion may be a bit biased Yoda.

Yoda the flump
24-Oct-07, 23:06
I think your opinion may be a bit biased Yoda.

Well lad, wait till Leopard is finally released on Friday, or see here for a taster http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/ (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/)

quirbal
24-Oct-07, 23:09
Well lad, wait till Leopard is finally released on Friday, or see here for a taster http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/ (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/)

Mac vs Windows really is just like Playstation vs Xbox. You are really never going to get an unbiased opinion. And really can one actually be better, isn't a case of one mans trash is another mans treasure.:confused

Yoda the flump
24-Oct-07, 23:15
Mac vs Windows really is just like Playstation vs Xbox. You are really never going to get an unbiased opinion. And really can one actually be better, isn't a case of one mans trash is another mans treasure.:confused

Are you sure? You can have a Mac and run Windows, but you cannot have a Pc and run OSX!

But to be honest, why would you want to run windows if you have OSX?

canuck
24-Oct-07, 23:17
XP was just fine for me, but a hard drive melt down 3 weeks ago meant that I was computer shopping and the new laptop came with Vista. So I am quickly learning its features. So far all I can say is that it is different. I am not a gamer or a photo collector. As long as I can connect to the org, run yahoo and churn out a few simple documents, I am okay.

huh
24-Oct-07, 23:17
but you cannot have a Pc and run OSX!

Au contraire.

http://www.osx86project.org/

Yoda the flump
24-Oct-07, 23:20
Au contraire.

http://www.osx86project.org/ (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.osx86project.org/)

Well there is no excuse then. Dump Windows and run OSX on your PC now!

quirbal
24-Oct-07, 23:20
XP was just fine for me, but a hard drive melt down 3 weeks ago meant that I was computer shopping and the new laptop came with Vista. So I am quickly learning its features. So far all I can say is that it is different. I am not a gamer or a photo collector. As long as I can connect to the org, run yahoo and churn out a few simple documents, I am okay.

Exactly, so why splash out almost 2 grand on a Mac???

Yoda the flump
24-Oct-07, 23:26
Exactly, so why splash out almost 2 grand on a Mac???

Where are you buying yours from?

You can get a Mac for under 400quid (admittedly you need to provide the keyboard etc) and a Macbook for under 700.

If you are looking to spend 2 grand then you will get a damn good deal on the Mac Pro for that.

quirbal
24-Oct-07, 23:31
Where are you buying yours from?

I just took a rough guess at a figure off the top of my head from seeing Macs previously. Where did you get your figures from, a look at the website to find the cheapest piece of rubbish that you could find without a keyboard and such sorts and then quote it to me. Im on to you Yoda.[disgust]

dandod
24-Oct-07, 23:35
I just took a rough guess at a figure off the top of my head from seeing Macs previously. Where did you get your figures from, a look at the website to find the cheapest piece of rubbish that you could find without a keyboard and such sorts and then quote it to me. Im on to you Yoda.[disgust]

i got my computer fron the 99p shop. they were on offer,2 for 99p. bargain or what?!![lol]

quirbal
24-Oct-07, 23:41
i got my computer fron the 99p shop. they were on offer,2 for 99p. bargain or what?!![lol]

Youve got great taste, we must have bought our computers in the same sale.[lol]

I think I saw the Macs there too, 2 for £1, a bit too steep for me

dandod
25-Oct-07, 00:00
Youve got great taste, we must have bought our computers in the same sale.[lol]

I think I saw the Macs there too, 2 for £1, a bit too steep for me

i thought they stopped making macs years ago thats what the flump told me.anyway i heard he bought his mac at a jumble sale along with some second hand pants.

t
25-Oct-07, 01:28
Voted Other

I am running OSX Tiger on my Hacked Apple TV

My main PC is running Sabayon the best Linux so far even installs all the drivers no messing

hotrod4
25-Oct-07, 07:44
I have Vista Basic 32bit and I don't see why everyone is so against it. I haven't had any problems with any programs (Norton, Photoshop, Office 2003) and various other mutli media programmes that I can't remember just now) The only problem I have had was when it came to broadband. Went with Orange 1st (Won't go into how bad they were but I got to keep the free modem :)) and then with TalkTalk and neither of them had Vista support. The problem turned out to be the modem drivers weren't vista compatible but a quick update sorted that.

I think it has only ever "froze" once and I have had it since February!

Hotrod how do you know how much ram you have free?

If you are using your windows sidebar right click on it and addgadgets.There is a link there that will list all the componenets available.(theres hunners)
On mine I have a CPU/RAM monitor a Bandwith monitor,"24" style clock,and news feeds.
You can add loads of things to the sidebar.

NickInTheNorth
25-Oct-07, 10:10
I Pretty well dumped proprietary operating systems 2 years ago. I run Ubuntu on my desktop and laptop, and would never buy a Microsoft Bloat ware system again.

I've had no crashes in 2 years! I use all free software and to be honest I reckon that it has all been better than the expensive commercial stuff I've used in the past.

Unfortunately I also have XP on the laptop for a few games for the kids, but I'll ditch that just as soon as I can find them some good alternatives.

Bobinovich
25-Oct-07, 10:32
Aye, and each one takes up precious system resources which could be better used elsewhere.

I don't understand the need for these gadgets running all the time - there's already a clock in the system tray, and do you really need to know the CPU/RAM usage, bandwidth, etc. every few seconds? There's also a calendar (can get that by moving your mouse over the time - may need a click though I can't remember), post-it notes (erm, what's wrong with the real thing?), weather monitor (look oot 'e window!). It'll be the first thing I'll be turning off when I do have to move to Vista

In general I try and run the minimal amount of background tasks to ensure a smoother running system. When a customer askes me to clean up their PC the system tray is the first place I start to chop things off and it's incredible how much that alone speeds up a machine (both during Windows startup and general running).

Flyermonkey
25-Oct-07, 11:10
I am completely with Yoda on this one.... am very excited about Mac OSX Leopard coming out on Friday as it will be another leap forward for Mac and, unlike Microsoft, Apple actually streamline their operating systems (as much as they can) with each new release thus avoiding unnecessary 'bloat'. This means that I was able to run a 6 year old Mac laptop on the latest OS without any problems (try that with a PC).

I am not completely bias as I am in charge of the computers and IT at work (all PCs) but I can't face the nightmare of upgrading the PCs and inevitable days of problems that it will entail and for very little real gain (Windows XP currently does everything we need). At my last work it was all Macs we had and it would be a matter of course to upgrade when a new MacOS came out (and there were never any serious problems...).

Eventually we will have to update to Vista but I really hope I am working somewhere else before that happens.

golach
25-Oct-07, 11:16
I run XP also Canuck, and find it to my personal liking and it fulfills me needs, I do not play games or download music legally or illegally. If I can get on the internet and read my e-mails and read the .Org and can get Msn and Yahoo Messengers open to chat to my pals all around the world then I am happy.
I dread the day I have to upgrade to Vista.

NickInTheNorth
25-Oct-07, 11:31
I run XP also Canuck, and find it to my personal liking and it fulfills me needs, I do not play games or download music legally or illegally. If I can get on the internet and read my e-mails and read the .Org and can get Msn and Yahoo Messengers open to chat to my pals all around the world then I am happy.
I dread the day I have to upgrade to Vista.

If those are your needs golach then if ever you decide to "upgrade" to vista take a look at Ubuntu (or other linux distro) it will do all you require easily (and lots more besides!).

You could simply download a "live cd image" write it CD, and boot from the CD - doesn't install anything or change your system in anyway. Then you can take a look and see what you think.

hotrod4
25-Oct-07, 11:54
Aye, and each one takes up precious system resources which could be better used elsewhere.

I don't understand the need for these gadgets running all the time - there's already a clock in the system tray, and do you really need to know the CPU/RAM usage, bandwidth, etc. every few seconds? There's also a calendar (can get that by moving your mouse over the time - may need a click though I can't remember), post-it notes (erm, what's wrong with the real thing?), weather monitor (look oot 'e window!). It'll be the first thing I'll be turning off when I do have to move to Vista

In general I try and run the minimal amount of background tasks to ensure a smoother running system. When a customer askes me to clean up their PC the system tray is the first place I start to chop things off and it's incredible how much that alone speeds up a machine (both during Windows startup and general running).

I agree with you to a degree, if you have limited RAm,etc.
But I have 2gb of ram and always have over 1gb left.I can still run FSX (set to max graphics), FSHost,Teamspeak,VAFS (all for my flight sim)and my torrent program all at the same time including dreamscenes without any problems whatsoever.
I have the RAM I need so why not use it and make my desktop look nice?

If you have limited RAm then no need for sidebars etc, but I like to MAX out my machine, as I see no point in having loads of RAM etc unless youre gonna use it.

The Angel Of Death
25-Oct-07, 12:12
Been running vista now for about 4 months and although i didnt like it at first (knew xp inside out and back to front) i was on the verge of changing back however i persavered and gave it a bit longer now i wouldnt go back to xp with vista its far more stable and doesnt have any of the crashes that i got with xp

Only had a few programs that wouldnt work but once they were upgraded they worked a treat at present i havent found a prog that i cant get to work on vista

katarina
25-Oct-07, 13:08
I've had a lot of bother with Vista. Finally when I thought all the problems (mostly incompatability) i bought a new printer. I downloaded the correct driver but it wouldn't work. Even computer guru could not fix the problem.
the other problem is the internet. seems vista and AOL don't like eachother much. It's working now, for how long is anyones guess.

EDDIE
25-Oct-07, 17:00
vista would be ok if it wasnt for the activation code carry on its got right out of hand its a complete hasstle if ure into uprgrade your computer buy yourself

teddybear1873
25-Oct-07, 17:04
Windows Vista aint worth using for at least another year. Seen it, had it, took it off. Not worth the bother.

hotrod4
25-Oct-07, 17:28
vista would be ok if it wasnt for the activation code carry on its got right out of hand its a complete hasstle if ure into uprgrade your computer buy yourself

What activation code????? :)

hotrod4
25-Oct-07, 18:37
I am just posting this while using Ubuntu.
Thought I would try it out just to see what its like.
Help I am lost already wheres the windows logo ;)

Mr_Me19
25-Oct-07, 20:02
If you use Ubuntu then I reccomend installing beryl. You can get some really nice themes on there.

I can't remember what it was called but I came across a distro at one point that looked almost identical to XP. The only difference was it was better!! :lol:

hotrod4
25-Oct-07, 20:28
If you use Ubuntu then I reccomend installing beryl. You can get some really nice themes on there.

I can't remember what it was called but I came across a distro at one point that looked almost identical to XP. The only difference was it was better!! :lol:

I would like to have Ubuntu and Windows as a dual booting system so may try it as it seems really easy.
Anyone else have this done that can give me some tips?
Many thanks!

Mr_Me19
26-Oct-07, 07:55
It would take ages to type it all out so I found this link:

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2006/05/08/dual-boot-laptop.html

It should be what you need. Any questions then go ahead and ask.

Ricco
26-Oct-07, 09:07

I must say that I agree with Bobinovitch on his points he has made. In order to have all these features available you would have to leave it on 24/7 to take advantage of features like virtual post-its.. It also makes the machine run harder... therefore more power consumption... ergo more contribution to global warming. Where was Vista made? Oh, yes - the USA... say no more!

psyberyeti
27-Oct-07, 22:59
I run Vista 32 bit.

I have no control over the computer or what it does and when, even though it tells you that you have control.

Its filing system is a maze - I'm not sure if it hides my stuff deliberately, or just does it to make life even more difficult.

Stick with XP - don't upgrade if you are used to a user friendly system.

Sorry to be such a downer. Ah, one good point - you don't get a 'blue screen of death' anymore:D.

But, it's not good for (MS) business, so your screen just freezes and you have to do a reboot:(.

Maybe if you are new to computing, then Vista is great. But as an oldie who likes to make the computer do what I want I'd rather go back to XP. I've got a dual-core processor as well and it gives little advantage over my original 2.8GHz single chip.

Yoda the flump
27-Oct-07, 23:00
Well, if you are new to computing get a Mac!

Jeid
27-Oct-07, 23:40
I ran Vista for a while. Was ok, but it didn't like some of my music related hardware hence back to Windows XP.

Vista looks flash, but other than that, I found it pretty difficult to find simple things that I wanted to fiddle with.

XP, although not ideal, it's not bad either.

Mr_Me19
28-Oct-07, 11:56
I agree with you to a degree, if you have limited RAm,etc.
But I have 2gb of ram and always have over 1gb left.I can still run FSX (set to max graphics), FSHost,Teamspeak,VAFS (all for my flight sim)and my torrent program all at the same time including dreamscenes without any problems whatsoever.
I have the RAM I need so why not use it and make my desktop look nice?

If you have limited RAm then no need for sidebars etc, but I like to MAX out my machine, as I see no point in having loads of RAM etc unless youre gonna use it.

If you have the RAM then use it. Otherwise its a waste of money. On the desktop computer I have 1.5GB of RAM and so have all my nice graphics turned on etc. But on my laptop I have almost everything turned off. It has a pathetic 256MB. I am coping with it though just now as I am planning on a new one at christmas time. Nice powerful system for some games and programming.

hotrod4
28-Oct-07, 13:51
Well, if you are new to computing get a big Mac!

Does that come with fries?
(sorry couldnt resist :) :)

Mr_Me19
28-Oct-07, 18:47
Who is the poor person that is stuck using Windows ME?

Bobinovich
28-Oct-07, 18:52
According to the poll results (click underlined 1) it's Bothyman. I've always maintained that so long as it works for you then any OS is suitable. I still come across people using W95 & W98 because that's what came on their PCs and they don't use it enough to justify a new PC!

Similarly there are a lot of people still using dial-up because all they want to do is send and receive e-mails to family & friends. Even with Broadband as low as £9.99 a month which makes dial-up all but redundant!

NickInTheNorth
28-Oct-07, 18:54
Who is the poor person that is stuck using Windows ME?

They may be fortunate and be using NT

And I just noticed that Win2000 isn't listed!

hotrod4
28-Oct-07, 19:23

And I just noticed that Win2000 isn't listed!

Well spotted!!!! Wondered when someone would notice my "deliberate" error ;)

Rheghead
28-Oct-07, 19:25
I don't know what my problem is but my internet speeds as per speedtest.net are 3mb/s download but whenever I view a jpeg or download a file from the internet I get speeds of ~25KB/s. I am convinced that the problem is Vista.:~(

canuck
28-Oct-07, 20:11
I don't know what my problem is but my internet speeds as per speedtest.net are 3mb/s download but whenever I view a jpeg or download a file from the internet I get speeds of ~25KB/s. I am convinced that the problem is Vista.:~(

No Rheghead, I think that all of those green boxes must be interfering with your computer speed.

Or another option might be the fairies in the garden setting up some kind of cloaked blocking devise.

But what do I know. I cannot even figure out if I have Vista 32 or 64.

TBH
28-Oct-07, 20:24
They say that vista is just a poor copy of mac o.s 10, if so why bother getting an upgrade?

TBH
28-Oct-07, 20:35
I doubt very much you would get 3mb download and besides, your speed are dependent on other peoples connection speed, i.e, even if you had the fastest connection possible you would still get rubbish speeds if the person or server you were downloading off had a slow connection.

Yoda the flump
28-Oct-07, 22:21
They say that vista is just a poor copy of mac o.s 10, if so why bother getting an upgrade?

Yes, that would be correct. But you would be talking about Tiger, not Leopard that has just been released. That takes OSX further away from Windows.

Mr_Me19
29-Oct-07, 08:54

They are using Windows, it's not fortunate. :lol:

I cannot even figure out if I have Vista 32 or 64.

Chances are it will be 32 bit. They are more common, and 64 bit requires special hardware and so vendors will be sure to state this a lot.