PDA

View Full Version : biggest eyesore in scotland

katarina
24-Oct-07, 09:45
Just read in the courier today about Wick being 'the biggest eyesore in Scotland'. Two councilors spoke out in favour of some sort of tidy up. Jess Cambell had stated in a strongly worded letter that several sites were a disgrace to caithness and in urgent attention.
Sounds like it refers to the present day, but that was TWENTY years ago. Jess is no longer with us, but what would she think to see that Wick must still be the strongest contender for the above title?
i thought something would be done about it after the council's 'walk around the town,' but apparently not. Why can't the owners of the derelict buildings be forced to tidy up or sell up?

Sandra_B
24-Oct-07, 09:52
No, the biggest eyesore in Scotland has got to be that gigantic grey metal structure out by the golf course in Thurso. How on earth did they get planning permission for that? You can see it for miles!!

paris
24-Oct-07, 11:28
I dread to think what they would think if they went on a visit to some of the huge council estates in England ! Wick is a lovely place , quaint, friendly, a very close community , wish i still lived there . janx

Lavenderblue2
24-Oct-07, 11:32
No, the biggest eyesore in Scotland has got to be that gigantic grey metal structure out by the golf course in Thurso. How on earth did they get planning permission for that? You can see it for miles!!

I totally agree with you Sandra - that eyesore is the first thing I see every morning when I open my bedroom curtains!

LB

PS. It must be bad if you can see it from Germany!!

riggerboy
24-Oct-07, 12:19

they dont have planning permission as its a tempory building and therefore doesnt need planning permission, you apply to the council for a temp building and they say yes or no

Riffman
24-Oct-07, 12:32
Well its pretty solid for a temporary building.... I had a good look round it soon after it opened, very impressive facility, a little unsightly perhaps.

Torvaig
24-Oct-07, 12:56
I agree with Katrina; something should be done about some of the derelict and unkempt property around. Sometimes just a lick of paint is all that is needed to make a place look better.

If I win the jackpot on the lottery this week I'll become a property developer, buy them all up and change them into something that the community can benefit from. (Now if there is a god, this WILL happen!;))

And about the building at the Thurso side of the county, surely it is better that it is white, matches the clouds that we usually have, it employs an awful lot of people and is much less sightly than some of the other sights that we have to tolerate. The longer a thing exists, the more we get used to it. After all, imagine something like the Dounreay site being built today; there would be an outcry but now most residents look on it rather fondly I would think. Also the poles used to carry the electricity lines are very much an eyesore but I don't think most people even notice them and they are everywhere! Plus the High School, the big green college etc., etc.

I could go on and on about eyesores but I won't.......and I can hear the sigh of relief from here.......:lol:

Geo
24-Oct-07, 13:25
While I like Wick, if I take off my rose coloured glasses it does need a serious lick of paint. Some of the shops look very drab and that's before looking at the likes of the old video store which need levelled. The river edge is often very messy. It's a lovely little town but it needs a bit of tlc.

scorrie
24-Oct-07, 18:03
I keep reading here that the County is booming, particularly on the Wick side. If that is the case, then it surely can't be long before it starts to show through an improvement in the town's appearance?

EDDIE
24-Oct-07, 18:07
any were in caithness is not an eyesore its actually a good place to live the downfall with living in caithness is there is not a lot of job opportunity thats all the biggest eyesore in scotland has got to be cumbernauld whoever designed that place should be shot its more like an industrial estate than a town thats true

Oddquine
24-Oct-07, 18:40
While I like Wick, if I take off my rose coloured glasses it does need a serious lick of paint. Some of the shops look very drab and that's before looking at the likes of the old video store which need levelled. The river edge is often very messy. It's a lovely little town but it needs a bit of tlc.

Would be good if the Council would tidy up their offices in the centre of Wick.........they are a disgrace!

Why should anyone else if they don't care themselves?

mccaugm
24-Oct-07, 19:17
Wick has its good points and bad points. However, I would now rather live there than where I used to live in Invergordon. It is in a sorry state with its so called "improvements". It is heartbreaking to see my old hometown with ridiculous murals over every available gable end in the High Street. The only place the murals look reasonably OK is at the railway station. They asked the people of the town if they liked the idea before it started and 97% were against it. The murals still went ahead. Somehow the concept of democracy was lost on the council.[evil][disgust]

dandod
24-Oct-07, 19:58
aye................

botheed
24-Oct-07, 20:02
if yare nae happy leave:eek:

Tighsonas4
24-Oct-07, 20:25
it seems to be a fact that if athing is left long enough you seem to
get used to it. enter wick from the north and as you enter high st
theres the old cinema on the left and the big house oppisite also
looking deserted need wind of change [lol]:roll:

horseman
24-Oct-07, 20:34
Hah-you should try living in my uneducated neck of the countryside;)
We are bottom of almost everything-hospitals-police -job prospects-schools ( with one notable exception) town an county set ups,we are fairly up on heart disease an alcoholism- but all authorities say no no ,that is last years figures-we are a lot better now , hah.
We failed to get a mention in the recent worst places to live on britain!I felt like pleading was it favouritism,on top of that we have kettering as a neighbour[lol]
But as my family live around here,what the heck-home as we all know is where you hang your hat,an my tam o shanter is on the peg just inside the front door.

JAWS
25-Oct-07, 01:36
Would be good if the Council would tidy up their offices in the centre of Wick.........they are a disgrace!
Does anybody know when they last saw a paintbrush, even one passing in somebody's shopping bag?
They look like they haven't been painted in the last twenty years.

katarina
25-Oct-07, 11:08
Wick has its good points and bad points. However, I would now rather live there than where I used to live in Invergordon. It is in a sorry state with its so called "improvements". It is heartbreaking to see my old hometown with ridiculous murals over every available gable end in the High Street. The only place the murals look reasonably OK is at the railway station. They asked the people of the town if they liked the idea before it started and 97% were against it. The murals still went ahead. Somehow the concept of democracy was lost on the council.[evil][disgust]

I really like the murals in invergordon - I think it really adds interest to the place. Wish they would do the same in wick. I'd offer my services if the council want to take it up.

sorry M just my opinion.

Dman
25-Oct-07, 12:31

I agree the place just wants some tidying up Wick has the potential to be a lovely coastal town, with a few more ammenities.