PDA

View Full Version : unfair promotions at work

dandod
24-Oct-07, 00:02
does anybody else think its amazing that even though Tesco has moved to Wick and Thurso (baring in mind they are the largest supermarket chain in thu UK)it can not change the town i work for them and there are lots of promotions going on at the moment which are not advertised and some poor staff are currently in the process of filling out their application forms little do they know that the jobs have already been given on the quiet just goes to show its not what you know but who you know.just like how somerfield was before they all got jobs in tescos.

DeHaviLand
24-Oct-07, 00:19
Dont you just love paranoia and sour grapes? Wonder if Tesco sells them?

dandod
24-Oct-07, 00:26
Dont you just love paranoia and sour grapes? Wonder if Tesco sells them?

its obvious that you may work for tescos or may even be one of those people i am writing about either way you will probably deny it it may be strange to you but there are some people left in this world that just like to see things done fairly.i just feel sorry for the people who filled up these application forms.And by the way i am not one of them

DeHaviLand
24-Oct-07, 00:29
Well, its obvious that I dont work for Tesco. Maybe you're being overlooked because of your lack of observational skills? Or because of your punctuation problem!

dandod
24-Oct-07, 00:31
looks like i struck a nerve judging by your last reply.Enough said:Razz

DeHaviLand
24-Oct-07, 00:43
Lol, you really are barking up the wrong tree. In fact, you are completely in the wrong forest. Now, run along and fuel your paranoia ;)

dandod
24-Oct-07, 00:47
Whatever maybe if you had a heart you would'nt be so pesemistic.All i am saying is how i feel sorry for those people who got their hopes up for nothing and to get other folks opinions on this matter as i am sure this sort of thing happens to lots of people.

riggerboy
24-Oct-07, 09:37
does anybody else think its amazing that even though Tesco has moved to Wick and Thurso (baring in mind they are the largest supermarket chain in thu UK)it can not change the town i work for them and there are lots of promotions going on at the moment which are not advertised and some poor staff are currently in the process of filling out their application forms little do they know that the jobs have already been given on the quiet just goes to show its not what you know but who you know.just like how somerfield was before they all got jobs in tescos.

i`m afraid it happens all over, its not what you know but who you know, most of us are in or have been in employment through nepotism at 1 time or another,

Sandra_B
24-Oct-07, 09:55
It should not still be surprising to find out that when it comes to getting a job in Caithness it's not what you know but who you know...

concerned resident
24-Oct-07, 10:05
This is nothing new, the masons and other organisations have been doing it for years, but don't mention it, its a secret.

Jeemag_USA
24-Oct-07, 10:09
Join the club, I have been promoted three times in five years, but I have done it by working extremely hard. But i see it all the time around me, the least expected person to get a job getting it, in fact there is even an old saying in the place that i work "Screw up, move up" and it doesn't exist for nothing. So its happening all over the world ;)

I actually thought to myself one time, maybe I should just not care about my work, annoy the heck out of people and not show up on time and maybe I will get to the top faster. but I can't lower myself :Razz

Bobinovich
24-Oct-07, 11:16
Which means that some (but by no means all) of the people in top positions in this world are there thanks to their screw ups! Scary thought [disgust]

grandma
24-Oct-07, 11:17
It's the same everywhere, whether applying for jobs or apprenticeships especially with Dounreay and other big employers. I suppose it's fine if you're the one with the connection but not for the rest of us mere mortals

dandod
24-Oct-07, 11:20
its the people who dont know the job has already been given to someone and are filling out their application form and hoping they will get the job.Tesco is corrupt beyond belief when it comes to things like this.

jay
24-Oct-07, 11:39
as tesco are currently advertising for over 100 new staff for the thurso shop, I find it very difficult to believe that the jobs are all filled before people apply. Also the people who are doing the recruiting are not from this area and therefore do not know anyone to have connections with - so sorry I have to agree that your posting does smack of sour grapes

johno
24-Oct-07, 11:45
nothing new there, thats been going on since time began, it,s not what you know but who you know. but that doe,snt make it right, [disgust]

dandod
24-Oct-07, 12:26
as tesco are currently advertising for over 100 new staff for the thurso shop, I find it very difficult to believe that the jobs are all filled before people apply. Also the people who are doing the recruiting are not from this area and therefore do not know anyone to have connections with - so sorry I have to agree that your posting does smack of sour grapes

if you read my original message you would realise im talking about promotions and not new staff......

bobbyjoeufb
24-Oct-07, 12:26
I totally agreed that promotion has a lot with who you are friends with and seen several occasions that people have been picked before the interveiws have even be carried out!

I can give several Manpower examples, one being that I had applied to move desks as I was bored after 2-3 years being on the same desk. I was asked by the person who was running the call centre to listen in on another desk and see if I liked it.

I did enjoy the other desk so I agreed with the call centre management that I would move to that desk and was given a start date. For the rest of the week there was still people listening in at that desk and appling for a job which had already been given.

I felt sorry for the other people who applied but knew that I was shortly going to be leaving Manpower for good and that one of these other people would get the job once I had left.

So it does happen and it is wrong.

scotty_mags
24-Oct-07, 13:07
It is not just Tesco's you see it all over Caithness/Sutherland........My hubby once went for a job, got interviewed TWICE....got down to last 2 and then my dad told him that the job had already been promised to the boss's nephew......they were only doing interviews so that they looked like they were doings things "right"......it seems unfair to me that peoples hopes are raised in this way....it's lile they are playing god with peoples hopes and dreams
[disgust]

Rheghead
24-Oct-07, 13:36
I've been working for 26 years and I haven't had a promotion yet, I guess the management realise that I am too good to be promoted.:Razz

peter macdonald
24-Oct-07, 14:32
"This is nothing new, the masons and other organisations have been doing it for years, but don't mention it, its a secret."

but if its a secret how do you know ???? ;-)))))

Thumper
24-Oct-07, 14:54
I have to admit that I have found this to be the case in caithness,years ago when i left school I tried to get into Dounreay but couldn't,then my dad,who was a mason had a word with some friends and I got an interview!Didn't go for it tho cos I thought to myself why would I want a job that I didn't get on my own merit.It isn't everywhere tho,at my last job a promotion came up and everybody was saying that it was mine as I was "popular" but I didn't get it it went to an outsider and again, I was rather glad as I didn't want to get the promotion just because I got on well with the "topdogs" x

peter macdonald
24-Oct-07, 15:15
Thumper re job when when you left school do you think this still goes on??? I always thought that element (masons) died out years ago
I still think theres a lot of who you know etc though
PM

huh
24-Oct-07, 15:21
"This is nothing new, the masons and other organisations have been doing it for years, but don't mention it, its a secret."

but if its a secret how do you know ???? ;-)))))

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's a secret.

peter macdonald
24-Oct-07, 15:27
Lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumper
24-Oct-07, 16:29
Peter, I am not too sure it has died out but I am a bit wary to say why I think that way (not because i am scared of repercussions but I don't want to start another thread going bad) I think there is still a bit of string pulling that goes on,but it may be as others have said it's not what you know it's who you know,whether they are masons or not x

peter macdonald
24-Oct-07, 16:40
Thumper thanks for that Its something i dont anything about nowadays Again thanks

Thumper
24-Oct-07, 16:44
Just want to say that I have nothing against masons,my Dad was a very highly thought of mason and was proud to be one.I grew up with that all my life and visited his lodge regularly so please don't think I am "anti masonic" I was even asked to join the easternstar(I think thats what it's called) not so long ago x

hotrod4
24-Oct-07, 18:22
I always thought that it was a "who you know" basis for jobs.
My mind has changed somewhat as after years of adopting that attitude I thought of myself in a more positive manner and put all my effort into gaining promotion.
I have been interviewed 5 times in 5 years.(previous 5 years numerous interviews no job)
I was offered 4 out of the 5 positions, only 1 was I unsuccesful.

I am not trying to say i.ve cracked it,I certainly havent,i just find if you get yourself noticed in a positive way and have a MEGA positive attitude and air about you, it can work out.

I know what you mean about Tesco though I have just left there!!

northener
24-Oct-07, 18:42
I've been promoted quite a lot in the past 6 years. I'm now Chief Executive of the company. Nobody gave me a back-hander or a helping nudge up the ladder.

So I am outraged to think that all my hard graft has been for nothing according to some people on here.

I worked damned hard for my promotions and, working for myself, there is no-one else around to make the decisions for me.
Why, when I appointed myself Lord High Executioner last month I didn't see any of you lot congratulating me on my new position. Typical sour grapes if you ask me.

You spineless shirkers, stop whingeing and get back to work!

Northener.

1st Sea Lord and Head Concubine.

dandod
24-Oct-07, 19:00
i also think its sour grapes.congrats on your promotion. P.S the best job is signing on at the brew the hours are great wish i could get a job there.

wi46
24-Oct-07, 19:10
If you work for a large national company it is your expertice and ability that gets you promoted and not who you know or who you are related to. I personally have been promoted a few times in past 2 years and interviews done in London by people who know nothing about who you are or who you are related to?

hard work and great work ethic are what counts in my book.

helenwyler
24-Oct-07, 19:51
I've been promoted quite a lot in the past 6 years. I'm now Chief Executive of the company. Nobody gave me a back-hander or a helping nudge up the ladder.

So I am outraged to think that all my hard graft has been for nothing according to some people on here.

I worked damned hard for my promotions and, working for myself, there is no-one else around to make the decisions for me.
Why, when I appointed myself Lord High Executioner last month I didn't see any of you lot congratulating me on my new position. Typical sour grapes if you ask me.

You spineless shirkers, stop whingeing and get back to work!

Northener.

1st Sea Lord and Head Concubine.

LOL Northener![lol]

Quite how you integrate your tasks as 1st Sea Lord and Head Concubine is beyond me, but then naval affairs are beyond my ken;).

And are we all due for the chop since your other self-appointment?

Helen (aka spineless shrinker, self-employed)

botheed
24-Oct-07, 20:08
does anybody else think its amazing that even though Tesco has moved to Wick and Thurso (baring in mind they are the largest supermarket chain in thu UK)it can not change the town i work for them and there are lots of promotions going on at the moment which are not advertised and some poor staff are currently in the process of filling out their application forms little do they know that the jobs have already been given on the quiet just goes to show its not what you know but who you know.just like how somerfield was before they all got jobs in tescos.i dont know much about their promotion ways, but i wish they could get someone on the fish counter, i was told the other night by the lady on the meat counter to do the rest of my shopping first then come back it should be staffed then:lol: bring on wall mall the sooner the better

lady penelope
24-Oct-07, 21:22
Dandod
I'm very sorry you think like that. I like to think if I do get promotion it will be on my own merits.
I might just be your boss. maybe;)[lol]

dandod
24-Oct-07, 21:31
lady penelope i think you have issed the point and i dont think you will be my boss as i have already had my promotion.

lady penelope
24-Oct-07, 21:40
So just what is your point then.

I think all us orgers have missed the point.

Are you complaining or what?

Do you feel sorry for these poor applicants?:confused

I hope you feel happy in your new job.

dandod
24-Oct-07, 21:42
Dandod
I'm very sorry you think like that. I like to think if I do get promotion it will be on my own merits.
I might just be your boss. maybe;)[lol]

yep i just found out im in charge of the trolleys making sure the wheels do not squeak i will be the one to tell you where the oil need to go but dont worry i wont be hard on you

dandod
24-Oct-07, 21:52
lady penelope i think you have issed the point and i dont think you will be my boss as i have already had my promotion.

drop some bait and fish may bite

botheed
24-Oct-07, 21:54
Thumper re job when when you left school do you think this still goes on??? I always thought that element (masons) died out years ago
I still think theres a lot of who you know etc though
PMi thought it was hows your father not who you know:lol:

dandod
24-Oct-07, 21:58
i thought it was hows your father not who you know:lol:

maybe someone should set up a webcam in st fergus lodge

bluelady
24-Oct-07, 22:01
i also think its sour grapes.congrats on your promotion. P.S the best job is signing on at the brew the hours are great wish i could get a job there.

I dinnae think you would enjoy your job there. I was in continue employment for over 30 years and recently got made redundant. I am now trying to find a suitable job, I'm not proud, I will do anything to get back in the working ethos. Often I have been told that I'm over qualified or do not hear back at all. One job I went for was given to an inside applicant as someone eho worked there told me. I dinnae enjoy going to e brew- Be careful what you wish for Dandod

dandod
24-Oct-07, 22:14
I dinnae think you would enjoy your job there. I was in continue employment for over 30 years and recently got made redundant. I am now trying to find a suitable job, I'm not proud, I will do anything to get back in the working ethos. Often I have been told that I'm over qualified or do not hear back at all. One job I went for was given to an inside applicant as someone eho worked there told me. I dinnae enjoy going to e brew- Be careful what you wish for Dandod

the very point i was trying to make most likley the jobs you applied for was already gone before you had a interview why do employers waste people time

mccaugm
24-Oct-07, 22:20
I worked in an office where the staff knew that there were to be managment posts coming up soon. One of the staff got an envelope and wrote his predictions for who he thought would get what promotions. The envelope was sealed and put in a secure drawer. Once all the promotions had taken place, the staff member took the envelope out and sure enough all his predictions came true. He was not a Mystic Meg, he just knew who the best buddies of the senior manger were.....nepotism....jobs for the boys call it what you will. A year or two later the senior manager suddenly left and we never heard from her again...probably just as well...:confused

bluelady
24-Oct-07, 22:21
the very point i was trying to make most likley the jobs you applied for was already gone before you had a interview why do employers waste people time
Exactly,and I agree with you, but your last comment do'es read like your mocking people on e brew, you may need to re-phrase it! I ken there may be a few who do enjoy it, but for me and many others in the "older range" do not.

Yoda the flump
24-Oct-07, 23:03
Eeek..... do we now get all our applications back as the jobs were gone before we applied (a la Richard and Judy).

bluelady
24-Oct-07, 23:06
it would save us getting writers cramp having to keep doing em again and again [lol]

JAWS
25-Oct-07, 01:25
If you don't like the way your employer operates there is a very simple solution.

nanoo
27-Oct-07, 17:49
Hi gang, i was in Tesco this afternoon (it was choc a block) and they were posting vacancies for jobs as i was passing, a friend of mine who works there says, a lot of workers in the Wick store and live in Thurso are going to the Thurso shop(which makes sense to me) therefore a lot of jobs are up for grabs in the Wick shop now. If you want a job, you know where to go. Good Luck to you all.;)

WeeBurd
27-Oct-07, 23:15
Too often people come up with conspiracy theories when it comes to promotions - in many cases, they simply have to open their eyes and look at their own performance with an honest mind to understand why they may have been overlooked.

I have been on the receiving end of bad feeling in the past in relation to being promoted, one individual actually complained in one situation that I was appointed, assumming it was only because of who I knew. This was not the case - I had to go through the same rigorous interview/presentation etc, as every other candidate. The fact I knew the boss did me no favours, quite the opposite - I worked super hard on my application process, as I felt I needed to PROVE that I was a professional, and capable of performing on my own steam. However, it hurt to know that people who I believed to be friends were openly discussing my capabilities and perceived unsuitability for the post I was given.

Understanding and managing people is not an easy job. Some people do it well, others fail miserably - but this thread really highlights what managers are up against at times. It really isn't all about money, yet that's what the rest of the "team" seam to think.:(

Phoebus_Apollo
28-Oct-07, 00:30
I have no qualms about denoucing freemasons as cowards....their insidious method of controlling who works where in Caithness is sickening. Dounreay is a walking advert for the brethren and it surprises me they don`t all walk in aprons holding a compass..just wait till the NWO kicks in.:roll:

DeHaviLand
28-Oct-07, 01:50
I have no qualms about denoucing freemasons as cowards....their insidious method of controlling who works where in Caithness is sickening. Dounreay is a walking advert for the brethren and it surprises me they don`t all walk in aprons holding a compass..just wait till the NWO kicks in.:roll:

See post 2

hotrod4
28-Oct-07, 11:04

Sounds like someone never got in!! :)

Lolabelle
28-Oct-07, 12:44
Sounds like someone never got in!! :)

LOL, hee, hee, hee! [lol]