PDA

View Full Version : ICE .. A seriously good idea.

Camel Spider
23-Oct-07, 13:50
Not sure if this has been posted before but I think its worth passing on. My neighbour is a Paramedic and in the course of a chat he has mentioned a proceedure called ICE .. (In Case of Emergency) .. I had never heard of it. Apparently it originated in America where paramedics were finding mobiles on accident victims and did not know who to call first to inform.

The idea is that we all carry mobiles, but if you are (God forbid) injured, asssualted, collapse and are out cold then any Paramedic, Fireman or Police Officer will look at your mobile phonebook and look for the entry of ICE. All you have to do is log the number of the person you would want contacted in the event of emergency under the name ICE. Obviously if there is more than one then you would log them as ICE 1, ICE 2 in order of priority.

I think its a darn good idea and have entered a couple of ICE entries already.

Thumper
23-Oct-07, 13:53
Hi there!I have been using the ICE system for a year now and it was very helpful recently when I had an accident so I think its a great idea x

Camel Spider
23-Oct-07, 14:28
Hi there!I have been using the ICE system for a year now and it was very helpful recently when I had an accident so I think its a great idea x

A year ??, today was the first I had heard of it. Should be publicised a bit more methinks.

Thumper
23-Oct-07, 14:39
Yeah probably should be cos I was speaking to a fireman just before christmas last year and he had never even heard of it,I was told about it by a mate in the states and decided to give it a try.At least all my mates know that I have a number under ICE even if nobody else does...yet!The org will help with that problem tho :) x

mccaugm
23-Oct-07, 14:42
Not sure if this has been posted before but I think its worth passing on. My neighbour is a Paramedic and in the course of a chat he has mentioned a proceedure called ICE .. (In Case of Emergency) .. I had never heard of it. Apparently it originated in America where paramedics were finding mobiles on accident victims and did not know who to call first to inform.

The idea is that we all carry mobiles, but if you are (God forbid) injured, asssualted, collapse and are out cold then any Paramedic, Fireman or Police Officer will look at your mobile phonebook and look for the entry of ICE. All you have to do is log the number of the person you would want contacted in the event of emergency under the name ICE. Obviously if there is more than one then you would log them as ICE 1, ICE 2 in order of priority.

I think its a darn good idea and have entered a couple of ICE entries already.

Just done it as well....what a simple but brilliant idea.

SNOWDOG
23-Oct-07, 17:04
ICE has been on the go for quite a while in the UK. Its very handy as most people do carry a mobile phone nowadays. :)

paris
23-Oct-07, 17:33
Had mine loged on mobile for well over a year now and as were on the rds alot its peace of mind. Brill idea. jan x

Angela
23-Oct-07, 17:36
I'd never heard of this until now, but have just added mine to my mobile.
What a great (and really simple) idea! :)

nanoo
23-Oct-07, 17:40
I think that is a simply brilliant idea as well. I'd never heard of it till today either. Thanks Camel spider.;) Now wheres that mobile.:roll:

spiggie
23-Oct-07, 17:41
Hey, yea its a great idea ive had ICE in my phone for about 6 mnths now. ~But thank god not had to use it.

Margaret M.
23-Oct-07, 19:24
As Fred will tell you, nothing good comes from America and ICE was actually started in England. The emergency crews here prefer that the info be kept with the driver's license rather than having to access the mobile.

mk1
23-Oct-07, 19:38
What a great idea, I've never heard of this until now. I've put ICE into my mobile and my hubbies and sons.

karia
23-Oct-07, 19:51
As Fred will tell you, nothing good comes from America and ICE was actually started in England. The emergency crews here prefer that the info be kept with the driver's license rather than having to access the mobile.

That's okay , assuming you drive a car.

what about pedestrians and passengers, both car and public transport ?

Best to do both..nothing wrong with a 'belt and braces' approach.

karia

balto
23-Oct-07, 20:22
what a brilliant idea that is i must go and do that now.

golach
23-Oct-07, 20:26
Thanks CS, have added ICE numbers to both mine and Mrs G's phones, she thinks I am wonderful and have thought this up all by myself :roll:

karia
23-Oct-07, 20:29
Thanks CS, have added ICE numbers to both mine and Mrs G's phones, she thinks I am wonderful and have thought this up all by myself :roll:

But you're going to come clean about that ....aren't you?;)

karia

golach
23-Oct-07, 20:31
But you're going to come clean about that ....aren't you?

karia
Why?...............:lol:, I need all the Brownie points I can get [lol]

changilass
23-Oct-07, 20:34
Trust you to take the credit Golach:lol:

ashaw1
23-Oct-07, 20:39
Heard this a while ago, yes it is a really good idea! Will definately do it!

NLP
23-Oct-07, 22:45
Only recently got a mobile (live in the dark ages I do) I put ICE on straight away,heard about it a while back, must get hubby to do it.

wifie
23-Oct-07, 23:22
Thanks, Camel Spider, for reminding me I must do that on my moby and OH's!

Jeemag_USA
23-Oct-07, 23:29
It is a very good Idea, its also one of the reasons I have never used the keypad lock function on my phone, I know that manufaturers added this function with all the best intentions, but personally I think it is not a sensible thing to use a keypad lock on your mobile phone, for one reason if you lose your phone you can call it and find out who picked it up, I have had to do this twice, and another is if you are in an accident and someone tries to use your phone they can't. I am going to add ICE to my phone. Thanks.

Anne x
23-Oct-07, 23:48
Ive done it tonight and to OH mobile who cant work it apart from saying Hello and On /Off Button