PDA

View Full Version : Nine Billion pounds and counting

peter macdonald
23-Oct-07, 08:37
http://www.theherald.co.uk/politics/news/display.var.1778589.0.0.php

PM

JAWS
23-Oct-07, 09:04
Typical self centred attitude. What about Wales, Northern Ireland, the North of England and the West Country? They will suffer just as much by London grabbing everything as usual.
You would think the "poor Scots" were being specially singled out for neglect.

Besides, it was those two Scots' Exiles, Blair and Brown, who came up with the bright idea and lied about the costs in order to push it through! :eek:

Bill Fernie
23-Oct-07, 09:18
The chances of winning are so small anyway that you could protest by giving your £1 or however much you spend on lottery tickets to a local charity. Or for a much smaller gamble, but probably better chance of winning, to Wick Academy Football Club Scorrie Scoop weekly draw. They definitely will not be spending the money for anything else except to keep the club going.

If you still want to gamble it would be far better to buy premium bond by sticking a pound or two in a jar until you have £100 and march down to your local post office and then you have 100 chances every month of wining a million and you can still get your money back.

JAWS
23-Oct-07, 09:48
Couldn't agree more, Bill. The National Lottery was never intended to subsidise grandiose schemes intended to feed Government egos but that is what it has been hijacked for.

Rheghead
23-Oct-07, 09:58
I don't mind giving a pound or two to help fund the olympics in London. The regeneration of London will be major and it needs it. I'd rather do someone a good turn than not. If the same happened in Edinburgh then I'd do the same. I don't do north/south petty politics.

porshiepoo
23-Oct-07, 18:24
Would the general opinion be the same if we were talking 'Edinburgh Olympics'?

The Olympic games stand to benefit the whole of the UK, why shouldn't lottery funding be used?
One minute Mr Maxwell claims that the London Olympics will be good for Scottish athletes but then turns round and says that the funds used for the same Olympics is robbing Scottish Athletes.
Doesn't really back it up either does he!
Where does he expect the funding to come from?

Oddquine
23-Oct-07, 19:43
Would the general opinion be the same if we were talking 'Edinburgh Olympics'?

The Olympic games stand to benefit the whole of the UK, why shouldn't lottery funding be used?
One minute Mr Maxwell claims that the London Olympics will be good for Scottish athletes but then turns round and says that the funds used for the same Olympics is robbing Scottish Athletes.
Doesn't really back it up either does he!
Where does he expect the funding to come from?

Mine would....I see no benefit to any area of any country outside the immediate main Olympic stadia, and I fail to see how it will even benefit the whole of England, far less the whole of the UK.

And lottery funding shouldn't be used because the Olympics is not a good cause.......it is a method of acquiring public funds to regenerate the London Area and should be funded from all those businesses who will benefit from that regeneration.

And I will say exactly the same if Glasgow gets the Commonwealth Games for which I believe they are considering bidding.

But then, lottery funding will probably not be available for that anyway.

Oddquine
23-Oct-07, 19:55
Typical self centred attitude. What about Wales, Northern Ireland, the North of England and the West Country? They will suffer just as much by London grabbing everything as usual.
You would think the "poor Scots" were being specially singled out for neglect.

Besides, it was those two Scots' Exiles, Blair and Brown, who came up with the bright idea and lied about the costs in order to push it through! :eek:

Jaws, it was a Scottish Minister at a Scottish University during a sports related visit ..........why would he mention any other country/region?

Anyone with a lick of intelligence would be able to extrapolate from the remark that the hi-jacking of Lottery Funds would apply to all instances of lottery funding wherever they happen......because I guess the reductions won't only be in sports related awards.

Don't think so...........it was the Government, the Mayor of London and the British Olympic Association that commissioned the Arup Report..........and the Arup Report that consisted of mostly wishful thinking and creative accounting.

Rheghead
23-Oct-07, 20:08
If you don't like what is decided as a good cause for lottery funding then don't buy a ticket if you feel that strongly about it, it's really that simple if you think it through.

Oddquine
23-Oct-07, 20:13
I did buy tickets from time to time, Rheghead.....but haven't since the Lottery anouncement.

golach
23-Oct-07, 20:14
Gambling is a sin, we should not be gambling at all.

Ricco
23-Oct-07, 20:14
This'll be why Richard Branson's public lottery never got a look in - there would have been no chance of hi-jacking that.

changilass
23-Oct-07, 20:19
It could have been a lot worse, they could have said it had to come out of the coffers and raised all of our poll tax (or whatever they are calling it these days)

Rheghead
23-Oct-07, 20:22
It could have been a lot worse, they could have said it had to come out of the coffers and raised all of our poll tax (or whatever they are calling it these days)

Since the SNP are against the poll tax then they would just simply raise the income tax to pay for an auld reekie games.

Oddquine
23-Oct-07, 21:16
Since the SNP are against the poll tax then they would just simply raise the income tax to pay for an auld reekie games.

I'd hope that any future Scottish Government would realise that an Olympic Bid is a waste of money.....and actually getting it would be a monetary catastrophe going by the London bid and so many of those which have had them before.
And no Government would dare raise taxes to pay for an Olympic Games which only benefits the few.

Rheghead
23-Oct-07, 21:36
I'd hope that any future Scottish Government would realise that an Olympic Bid is a waste of money.....and actually getting it would be a monetary catastrophe

I will agree with you, given the fragility of a post-independent Scottish economy.

Oddquine
23-Oct-07, 21:50
I will agree with you, given the fragility of a post-independent Scottish economy.

I'd hope that fragility of economy or not, any sensible Scottish Government would do what a sensible Westminster Government should have done.........say to the BOC..........if you want it.........you pay for it yourself.

Rheghead
23-Oct-07, 22:14
No Olympic committee can afford an olympic games themselves, I doubt if that is what they are there for and/or if it has been done in another country, it is just ludicrous to think they could. Mind you, Greece has never looked back since they hosted the OGs, the spin offs have greatly increased their prestige and economy. The benefits are not always direct and can therefore be overlooked/under-stated.

I dare say the SNP would love to jump into a celtic alliance with Ireland to stage them.

Oddquine
23-Oct-07, 22:41
No Olympic committee can afford an olympic games themselves, I doubt if that is what they are there for and/or if it has been done in another country, it is just ludicrous to think they could. Mind you, Greece has never looked back since they hosted the OGs, the spin offs have greatly increased their prestige and economy. The benefits are not always direct and can therefore be overlooked/under-stated.

I dare say the SNP would love to jump into a celtic alliance with Ireland to stage them.

If they can't afford it, they shouldn't have it then! It is, after all, an optional extra to life! :roll:

Good grief, if London had its prestige increased more than they think it is already, it won't be able to get its head in the door!

I'd be interested to learn about all these benefits to Greece, as opposed to Athens ,as, as far as I can see in tourism at least the areas furth of the London won't see much return............so far it is calculated that the £9bn and rising cost will benefit the rest of the UK outside London by 10% of £3bn in increased tourism over 10 years.

Doesn't seem much of a return does it? :confused

Rheghead
23-Oct-07, 22:51
If they can't afford it, they shouldn't have it then! It is, after all, an optional extra to life! :roll:

Good grief, if London had its prestige increased more than they think it is already, it won't be able to get its head in the door!

I'd be interested to learn about all these benefits to Greece, as opposed to Athens ,as, as far as I can see in tourism at least the areas furth of the London won't see much return............so far it is calculated that the £9bn and rising cost will benefit the rest of the UK outside London by 10% of £3bn in increased tourism over 10 years.

Doesn't seem much of a return does it? :confused

The OGs is a cultural thing. Like all cultural things, eg National Art, sport etc, profit or self finance is desirable but not everything is expected to make a profit even though that is how the politicians would like us to think. Prestige is the aim and having the OGs does that and more some. If we only endeavoured to do things that would be profitable then Scotland would be a very dull place indeed.

peter macdonald
23-Oct-07, 23:09
The OGs is a cultural thing. Like all cultural things, eg National Art, sport etc, profit or self finance is desirable but not everything is expected to make a profit even though that is how the politicians would like us to think. Prestige is the aim and having the OGs does that and more some. If we only endeavoured to do things that would be profitable then Scotland would be a very dull place indeed

Well Rheghead A bit of a change here you always tell us how insolvent Scotland is so now the Edinburgh Government should be acting imprudently to stave off boredom ????
My gripe about this is simple and would apply to any event similar in Scotland it costs a lot of money of which the tax payer will have to to pay (the lottery will only pay for 2/3 of the bill as it stands now ) Montreal is a prime example of how an event like this is/can be a fiscal disaster

"I dare say the SNP would love to jump into a celtic alliance with Ireland to stage them." Whats this supposed to mean ??? Have you a problem with Celts?? (as a race not a football team to clarify)

I really dont get how you want to turn this into a Scotland England thing This lot at Westminster are shouting about how this will regenerate the old docklands east of London area Why do they need to wait for an excuse such as a sporting event to do this ??? Why are MPs from Bromley etc complaining about the cost?? Why did John Prescott shout about building all these new homes in the South East whilst neglecting to mention regeneration of East London??? I dont know the answer but Ill wager some Nu Labour spin doctor does Maybe he found the idea in a Tory manifesto where they seem to get all their policies nowadays
PM

Ps see the Telegraph
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/22/nolympic22.xml

Philip Davies, a Tory committee member, said: "You couldn't make this up. I never heard anything like it.

"We are going a further £400 million further over budget in a bid to make sure stay on budget."
A cracker (to quote the late Frank Carson )

Rheghead
23-Oct-07, 23:28
"I dare say the SNP would love to jump into a celtic alliance with Ireland to stage them." Whats this supposed to mean ??? Have you a problem with Celts?? (as a race not a football team to clarify)
PM

Well the chips are definitely frying deep tonight.:roll:

I meant exactly how it sounded, have you a problem with Scotland entering an alliance with another nation that it shares so many cultural links?

I share your concern if you are using the Montreal olympics as your yardstick for a financial disaster. I am sure you are not suggesting that a 'celtic' olympics would turn out the same way since you are convinced that Scottish post-independent financial accumen can pull off a major miracle?

I really dont get how you want to turn this into a Scotland England thing That's the thing, I'm not, but you are.

peter macdonald
23-Oct-07, 23:47
"That's the thing, I'm not, but you are."
Where have I said this in my post ????

meant exactly how it sounded, have you a problem with Scotland entering an alliance with another nation that it shares so many cultural links?

As I made very obvious Im not in favour of any such event in Scotland or the UK

I share your concern if you are using the Montreal olympics as your yardstick for a financial disaster. I am sure you are not suggesting that a 'celtic' olympics would turn out the same way since you are convinced that Scottish post-independent financial accumen can pull off a major miracle?

Where have i said that??? If Canada cant make it work or Quebec Im sure a country of 5m people cant

So anyway why havent you commented on the rest of my post about nu Labours mismanagement of this event ???
PM

Rheghead
24-Oct-07, 00:10
So anyway why havent you commented on the rest of my post about nu Labours mismanagement of this event ???
PM

Probably for the same reason that you have, it is politics, you think that continually bringing these things up, it will add more grease to the wheel for independence. I could do the same about the SNP's failures. You similiarly have failed to acknowledge that Alex Salmond would love to hold an olympic games given half the financial chance and he would have the same opportunity to mismanage it, depending on one's view. We are just two different sides of the question of independence, except my side is more transparent and better for Scotland.

peter macdonald
24-Oct-07, 07:55
Please read this "As I made very obvious Im not in favour of any such event in Scotland or the UK" from my post above
Jack Macconell and Alec Salmond were both in favour of bring the European football championships to Scotland I do not agree with that I feel itsa a waste of money It will bring little of any benefit to caithness The London Olympics even more so
If you like to see your taxes chucked away on event like this its up to you but then its New Labour thats doing it so it must be OK then???

Rheghead
24-Oct-07, 10:59
Please read this "As I made very obvious Im not in favour of any such event in Scotland or the UK" from my post above
Jack Macconell and Alec Salmond were both in favour of bring the European football championships to Scotland I do not agree with that I feel itsa a waste of money It will bring little of any benefit to caithness The London Olympics even more so
If you like to see your taxes chucked away on event like this its up to you but then its New Labour thats doing it so it must be OK then???

Thankfully Alex Salmond is a decent enough politician to realise that he is a man for the people, especially the central belt, he would like Scotland to be a fun place to live and one which other nations should look to for cultural inspiration. He has little interest in those parts of Scotland whose population levels are low and which require/need further mass improvements in infrastructure for little political return, he wants to break into the central belt Labour-voting stronghold so his political future is assured. You're doing a stirling job at voicing his excellent political strategy.