PDA

View Full Version : crocus in my garden

lynne duncan
22-Oct-07, 18:26
as it was a nice afternoon, went and weeded our borders, and found a crocus in full bloom, think someone forgot to tell it the time of year, was going to leave it and show the neighbour when overly helpful hubby came along and finished the weeding and before i knew it poor crocus was at the bottom of the brown bin.
is it usual for crocuses to flower out of season, never seen any of mine do it before

Dreamweaver
24-Oct-07, 16:53
We have flowers in our garden which we were told by the previous owners were autumn crocuses - quite different to spring ones. They are a purply colour and much larger than spring ones. Don't know proper name tho.

badger
24-Oct-07, 18:18
My garden is looking the best it has all year - roses, nasturtiums, poppies, lupins - all blooming away. Do they know it's autumn? The grandchildren's annual caterpillar hunt on the nasturtium leaves is only just under way, in fact I thought we were going to miss it this year.

Julia
24-Oct-07, 19:04
My rose bush has just bloomed a big red rose, I think it's confused :confused

Scunner
25-Oct-07, 18:03
We have flowers in our garden which we were told by the previous owners were autumn crocuses - quite different to spring ones. They are a purply colour and much larger than spring ones. Don't know proper name tho.

proper name is Colchicum. The flowers appear in Autumn and then the leaves appear in spring. Sometimes called Meadow Saffron

helenwyler
26-Oct-07, 00:25
It's anarchy in my garden!

I've got a Winter and Summer Jasmine blooming at the same time....and wild geraniums coming into second (or even third) bloom!:eek:

Dreamweaver
26-Oct-07, 15:52
Hey thanks Scunner. Now we know why we get all those leaves without flowers in the spring :lol:

Tilter
26-Oct-07, 22:14
proper name is Colchicum. The flowers appear in Autumn and then the leaves appear in spring. Sometimes called Meadow Saffron

Where can I get some Autumn crocusses? There's none in the Suttons's catalogue. They're lovely.

Scunner
26-Oct-07, 23:07
Try Bloms Bulbs - under misc bulbs - they are quite expensive, but last for years, Also saw them in Howdens in Inverness

gardenergirl
26-Oct-07, 23:15
Try Bloms Bulbs - under misc bulbs - they are quite expensive, but last for years, Also saw them in Howdens in Inverness

Simpsons Inverness just got a whole load in, plus the staff are much friendlier than at Howdens! (I worked there :D)

Tilter
26-Oct-07, 23:38
Simpsons Inverness just got a whole load in, plus the staff are much friendlier than at Howdens! (I worked there :D)

Thanks for the help. Where is Simpsons?

gardenergirl
27-Oct-07, 18:40
Here's a map of how to get there: http://maps.yell.com/clients/browse.cgi?client=yell_mandd&nat_id=4887087&pc=IV2+5BA&sl=false&storePC=IV2+5BA&ssm=&companyName=Simpsons+Nursery&clarifyIndex=&clarifyOptions=&replayURL=%2Fucs%2FUcsSearchAction.do%3FcompanyNam e%3DSimpsons%26M%3D0%26location%3DInverness%26scra mbleSeed%3D74225729%26potential%3D0

((edit: I'm not sure that link works. If not, just type in Simpsons and Inverness and it should work!))
That map's not that clear, so: drive south down A9, past longman roundabout, drive past Aberdeen turn off (the one that also goes to the Business and Retail park), and take the next left (I think it's signposted Raigmore Hospital). Turn right at the end of this road at the traffic lights. Keep going up this road until you see Simpsons on your right.

Sounds complicated, but it's not really! :D Plus they do a great bowl of soup and cup of tea!

Scunner
27-Oct-07, 22:01

Have to agree that Simpsons in much friendlier than Howdens. I was in Howdens recently and saw them there, thats why I made the suggestion