PDA

View Full Version : Cat mauled by two dogs on Castlegreen Road, Thurso

BMcGillivray
22-Oct-07, 17:31
This afternoon, my ginger and white cat, Chancer, was mauled by two unattended huskies on Castlegreen Road.

Chancer could often be seen laying outside our house on Castlegreen Road, and often affectionately walked up to those walking by.

The police have been involved, and they are trying to find the two dogs and their owner.

Our next door neighbour rushed out and wrestled with the dogs to try to rescue Chancer, managed to get him away from them, but unfortunately Chancer died not long after.

Id appreciate hearing from anyone who knows anything about these dogs, or saw them roaming around.

And please keep your pets and children away from these dogs if you do see them.

Liz
22-Oct-07, 17:42
That is awful!
I am so very, very sorry for your loss.
It is tragic that poor Chancer should have died in such a way!!!!

People should not have dogs if they can't control them!!![mad]

corgiman
22-Oct-07, 17:50
what an awful thing to happen :~( well done for bringing it to other peoples attention and hopefully someone will know something and these animals are found soon. Your neighbour must have been terribly shocked to witness this.

lady penelope
22-Oct-07, 18:32
That's just terrible.I have three cats and would hate that to happen to any of mine. I also have a dog and he is never left to wander.:~(
I hope you find the owner of the dogs.

Julia
22-Oct-07, 19:09
Poor wee Chancer! :cry: That's terrible, I hope they find the dogs responsible and euthanize them before they hurt another animal or even a child.

teritoots
22-Oct-07, 21:33
Oh my god thats so sad you must be devasted and so angry. I know I would be. This kind of thing should never ever happen!
I never thought dogs could do such a thing, I always thought that it was bark much worse than bite and cats normally ended up the boss.
I really hope they find the dogs and Prosecute the owners before they attack another cat or child/adult!

Mik.M.
22-Oct-07, 22:22
So sorry to hear about your cat, have cats myself and live near you. Will keep my eyes open when around castlegreen road.

luskentyre
22-Oct-07, 23:01
What an awful thing to happen... I'm so sorry.

Mrs Sweetie
22-Oct-07, 23:17
That is dreadful; what an awful thing to happen. [evil] I understand how you feel as my cat was attacked by 3, unleashed, dogs who entered our back garden as the owners were walking past. Luckily she managed to get to safety through the cat flap but suffered multiple cuts and dislocated knees and was not expected to survive. It happened years ago and I am still angry now!

How brave of your neighbour to intervene. I hope the dogs owner is brought to task.

nanoo
24-Oct-07, 11:48
I read this in the local paper this morning and i felt disgusted as i was reading. No dog should be out without an owner at any time and these two should be caught and caught fast as they might do this to a child. Having said that, I am so sorry to hear about Chancer, my heart goes out to you because he was your boy. I have cats myself and to loose any of them is just awful as they are one of the family after all. Luckily, all 6 of mine are house cats and have been since they were kittens, so i don't need to worry about them. Once again, i'm so sorry, Chancer was 15 years old and should have been allowed the dignity of passing away in his sleep some time in the far future.:~(

BMcGillivray
24-Oct-07, 12:11
Thank you for all your messages.

The article from todays Courier can be read here - http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/3287/Thurso_pet_is_victim_of_savage_attack_by_dogs.html

As a result of the local papers coverage, the SSPCA have been in contact, and are working to find those responsible, so hopefully something will be done soon.

angela5
24-Oct-07, 15:44
Sorry to hear about your cat, i hope the owners of these dogs are found and prosecuted.

Thumper
24-Oct-07, 16:41
What a terrible thing to happen to your cat!I am so soory to hear about it, hopefully the owner of the dogs will be found a prosecuted! x

mccaugm
24-Oct-07, 22:43
What a terrible thing to happen to your cat!I am so soory to hear about it, hopefully the owner of the dogs will be found a prosecuted! x
Totally agree...I had the same thing happen to a kitten a number of years ago. It was her first time being let out and she didn't stand a chance...I really feel for you.[evil]:(

DM07
24-Oct-07, 22:52
Im sorry for your lost. Nature is a hard thing. I lost my duck last week. Broke my heart. My mother told me of your story this morning after reading the paper. We get so attached to pets and its hard when one persons pet harms anothers.
Thinking of you

BMcGillivray
01-Nov-07, 14:43
Just as an update, its now been just over a week and a half, and nothing has been able to be done, as far as we've been told, the police/SSPCA have no proof on who's dogs they were.

Additionally, last night at 11pm, the two huskies returned to where it happened, then tried to get into our back garden where our Labradoodle puppy was barking terrified. Thankfully our other cat and the puppy were kept inside safely, and the police were again called, who sent out a patrol looking for the dogs.

We've heard nothing further so far.

corgiman
01-Nov-07, 14:59
That is absolutely awful and these dogs being dogs and doing what nature taught them, now know that they had an easy kill there and are looking for more, I really do hope that this matter is resolved very soon before any more damage is done.

Liz
01-Nov-07, 16:19
I am so sorry that you are no further on and that your other pets are at risk!

What on earth are the dogs' owners thinking about. Does no one in the area know who they belong to?

BMcGillivray
01-Nov-07, 16:31
I am so sorry that you are no further on and that your other pets are at risk!

What on earth are the dogs' owners thinking about. Does no one in the area know who they belong to?

Im sure many people have a good idea of who it is, a single name has been mentioned to us several times by different people, a name that authorities have followed up on, but have no proof to say it was definately them. So unless someone comes forward to tell the police something that provides enough proof to say it was them, nothing can be done.

We had hoped that the press coverage would encourage neighbours, friends or family of the owner who may have seen the dogs leave and start roaming the town to come forward, so that something can be done.

Liz
01-Nov-07, 16:34
Could it be that people are afraid of the owner so do not want to come forward?

It would be worth reporting them to the Dog Warden when they are on the loose.

BMcGillivray
01-Nov-07, 17:36
Could it be that people are afraid of the owner so do not want to come forward?

Quite possible, apparently the person who's name we were given has a bit of a reputation around here, but unfortunately a name, a reputation and the fact they have two huskies isn't enough evidence to do anything.

It would be worth reporting them to the Dog Warden when they are on the loose.

The Dog Warden was contacted by the police back when the incident first occurred, but they were unavailable, when we later phoned the local Dog Warden, we were told that she doesn't deal with dangerous dogs and that it was a police matter, but we will keep on trying.

Liz
01-Nov-07, 20:02
It beggars belief that after all the publicity the dogs are still allowed to roam the streets!!![mad]
Think this shows what the owner is like!!!

I really hope that the owner is traced soon (wouldn't think it would be that hard?!!!) and your street, and your pets, will once more be safe!

I will get an appeal put on the Cats Protection website to see whether anyone will come forward and name the owners.

mop top
02-Nov-07, 08:12
Was at Balmore centre today when the dog warden arrived with 2 huskies. wonder if these could be the 2 that were on the loose last week, seems a bit of a coincidence that these were picked up straying if they were not! Wonder what happens now? can the owner just go back and claim them or are the police involved.

corgiman
03-Nov-07, 15:45
Any further news on this? It would be great to hear they have been taken off the streets.