PDA

View Full Version : Lump in the throat.

cuddlepop
21-Oct-07, 16:48
Our adopted wee dog has a lump in her throat.
Noticed it yesterday and took her to the vet.The vet gave her a good check up and found nothing else wrong.

The lump is hard and she'll let you touch it.None of her other lympth nodes are up and she's eating and drinking as usual.

The vet gave her an anti inflammitary injection and a course of anti biotics.We've to take her back on Thursday and will decide then on the next move.

The dreaded C has ben mentioned.:~(

Liz
21-Oct-07, 18:00
I really hope it is nothing serious and that the treatment she is on will work.

I would have thought if it was anything bad that she wouldn't be eating and drinking as usual though?

Take care x

cuddlepop
22-Oct-07, 13:57
Thanks for your concern Liz ,Dealus has had a "pillar to post" upbringing and only recently has had a place she can call home,we're rather fond of her now.
The dogs has alwas had a small appetite and in my opinion is too thin, its
just a worry that its going to cost alot of money to fix:~(

Liz
22-Oct-07, 14:07
Aaaaww poor Dealus!

Does the PDSA 'operate' in your area as they will may help with the bill but only if you are on certain benefits I think?

Really, really hope it's nothing bad!

cuddlepop
22-Oct-07, 14:18
There's no PDSA in our neck of the woods think the nearest one is Inverness.

The vet's pretty understanding and I'm sure will let us pay it up in installments.

I'm terible I've already gpt worst case in my head.

It just sometimes you just know.

For once I'm praying my instinct is wrong.:~(

Liz
22-Oct-07, 14:45
Glad you have a good Vet. It would be worth contacting the PDSA anyway.

I know how you must be feeling having had animals all my life and dealing with health problems along the way.
It is such a worry!

I very much hope your instinct is wrong and that it is something like a cyst.
Even if it is the dreaded 'C' word there is every chance it will be okay.

Take care xxx

northener
22-Oct-07, 19:17
Cuddlepop,

You have my greatest sympathy with this.

We lost our lurcher to cancer in the throat 5 years ago. Looking back, all the signs were there but we didn't realise until it was too late.

It sounds as if it is cancer, hopefully, you've noticed in time.

cuddlepop
22-Oct-07, 19:20
Cuddlepop,

You have my greatest sympathy with this.

We lost our lurcher to cancer in the throat 5 years ago. Looking back, all the signs were there but we didn't realise until it was too late.

It sounds as if it is cancer, hopefully, you've noticed in time.
thank you Northener,the vet hopes its just a cyst and the antibiotics will shrink the growth but so far there's no great reduction.

She's only four which makes the possibilty even sader:~(

cuddlepop
25-Oct-07, 17:15
Vet has decided that what ever it is,it has to be removed.
Booked in for the 5th of November with an estimated bill of £200 plus.
Chritmas postponed till further notice.;)

Seriously wish now we took out insurance so if this isn't sinister and is't something like a bit of bone stuck in her throat then we'll insure her.:)

Liz
25-Oct-07, 17:53
Well let's hope that it is nothing sinister and that the op will be a success.

If I win anything on the lottery I will pay your bill!!!

cuddlepop
25-Oct-07, 19:53
Well let's hope that it is nothing sinister and that the op will be a success.

If I win anything on the lottery I will pay your bill!!!
The kids have agreed to split it amongs themselves.
I guess we're still the foster parents.;)

A lotto win would be lovely though,best of luck.:)

cuddlepop
06-Nov-07, 13:21
Our wee dog has somehow managed to cure herself of this problem that or the antibiotics took a wee while to work.

Dont know,dont care she's cured

Yippeee:D

Liz
06-Nov-07, 13:43
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!:lol:

That is brilliant news Cuddlepop!

What a lovely early Christmas present eh?

nanoo
06-Nov-07, 16:16
Fan dabi dozy news cuddlepop. Glad the wee dog is better, give her a cuddle from me.:lol::roll:

jean
08-Nov-07, 01:14
Brilliant news Im so pleased for you!:D

cuddlepop
22-Nov-07, 21:10
The strangest thing has happened over the past few days the lump has returned.:(

Its now the size of a golf ball and was making it difficult for the wee dog to swallow her biscuits.
We took her to the vet this morning and he suspected the lump is an abscess.A high dose anti biotic has been prescriped this time for longer.We're hoping this time the body will win the fight for good.if not then he's going to have to operate to see what the offending object is,he suspects a bit of stick.

I asked about the excessive molting and apparently its stress.The wee doggy is really ill but you'd never know to look at her.

As you can imagine she's getting spoilt rotten.:D

carasmam
22-Nov-07, 21:42
What a shame :~( Things were looking so good for you all. Hope the antibiotics kick in again soon. At least she is young, if she needs an op the general anaesthetic shouldn't be too much of a worry.

Thinking of you ;)

nanoo
23-Nov-07, 13:23
Hi cuddlepop, i am so sorry to read this today. I thought the wee dog would go from strength to strength. I'm hoping the high dosage of anti biotic will do the trick and clear the abcess right up and then you can all get back to enjoying having her around for a very long time. Keep your chin up cuddlepop and remember an awful lot of orgers are wishing for good news for you as well. I know what that means and believe me it works. Keep us all posted. I'll be wishing for another early Christmas present again, though this time for you and not for me. LOL. xxxx;)

cuddlepop
23-Nov-07, 15:37
Thank you for all your lovely replys.
I'm giving that cosmic ordering a try too,it worked for Noel so fingers crossed.:D

Liz
23-Nov-07, 15:48
I am so sorry that the lump has come back!!!:(

Still if it is an abcess (maybe it burst before?) then they should be able to make her better. It could be something like a small piece of stick which is causing an irritation and hence an abcess.

Whatever it is hope she makes a full recovery soon!!!

Take care
xx

carasmam
29-Nov-07, 11:17
How is Dealus now Cuddlepop? I've been thinking of you this last week.

cuddlepop
29-Nov-07, 15:02
How is Dealus now Cuddlepop? I've been thinking of you this last week.
Thanks Carasman the lump is now shrinking and she's back to eating with our other dog.She use to wait until we were all in bed and then nibble her food through the night,it must have been so sore.
All we can do is keep the fingers crossed and lots of universal "please....";)

Its amazing the spirit she has and you would have never really have Known how ill she was.:D

Liz
29-Nov-07, 15:35
Glad poor wee Dealus is improving again.

She sounds like a dear, brave wee soul.

I will send some nice healing light to her right now!

cuddlepop
29-Nov-07, 15:41
Glad poor wee Dealus is improving again.

She sounds like a dear, brave wee soul.

I will send some nice healing light to her right now!
Oh thank you Liz,the more healing light the better.

As for brave you should have seen her fight of this rather nasty big golden lab this morning.
The owner had it on a lead and harness but we had to pass it as the footpath is so narrow .
Anyway it launched itself at our dog and poor Dealus had a stick in her mouth so had to drop it before she fought back.
Think she was more upset about putting the stick down.:lol:

the owner apologised but I'm still flabbercasted this type of dog acted the way it did.:confused

northener
29-Nov-07, 21:37
Nice to hear your mutt's on the mend!

Labs can be quite belligerent when they want, especially if they're put in a position where the dogs are getting in each others personal space.

Hope you get the all clear soon.

carasmam
07-Dec-07, 15:30
Hows the 'dug' now cuddlepop ?

cuddlepop
07-Dec-07, 15:39
Hows the 'dug' now cuddlepop ?
The wee angle is back to being her usual "monkey nuts"
I'm convinced she's got the animal form of ADHD,she just never stops.:lol:

carasmam
07-Dec-07, 16:10
ha ha stop feeding her blue smarties and fizzy pop then :lol: