PDA

View Full Version : Printer advice please

Kingetter
20-Oct-07, 21:03
I'm getting this 'annoying' message each time I go to print something. I've never ever had it on any other printer, including Epson.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Printer/PrinterService-2.jpg

What's involved in servicing etc a printer can anyone tell me?

Is this anything to do with my not using Epson Ink?

The printer is under 3 years old.

I have the feeling that the all-in cost of service etc might be more than the price of a new printer. Comments on this please also.

Thanks,

James.

fred
20-Oct-07, 21:20
I'm getting this 'annoying' message each time I go to print something. I've never ever had it on any other printer, including Epson.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Printer/PrinterService-2.jpg

What's involved in servicing etc a printer can anyone tell me?

Is this anything to do with my not using Epson Ink?

The printer is under 3 years old.

I have the feeling that the all-in cost of service etc might be more than the price of a new printer. Comments on this please also.

Thanks,

James.

It's decided that your waste ink pads are full.

You should be able to find instructions on how to clean them and reset the printer somewhere on the Epson website if you know how to use a screwdriver otherwise I'm sure there will be someone along soon who can do it for you at reasonable cost.

Kingetter
20-Oct-07, 21:30
Fred,

Thanks. 'waste ink pads'? I've never even heard of them, but ask me if I ever 'read the manual', you can guess what the answer is.

HO HUM! - A visit to Epson online I guess is now called for.

Thanks again.

James.

Bobinovich
20-Oct-07, 23:15
Ha had this one a time or three! I'm certain Fred is right with it being the waste ink pads and I was surprised to find they were required at all. While you can get replacement pads I believe it's simple (if a bit messy) to clean them.

Remove the top cover off the printer (do not turn the printer upside down to dismantle it BTW - the pads can be sodden and ink may run loose throught the inside of the printer). Now, looking from the back you should see 3 or 4 white (or possibly dirty ink coloured) cotton rectangular-ish pads which need the be removed with a pair of tweezers. These can be rinsed under a tap until they run clean and then dried before putting them back in the printer.

You then need to use this wee utility (http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml) to reset the counter (start up the utility then minimise it, then access the menu by right-clicking the icon in the system tray by the clock) Protection Counter.

Alternatively, if you don't want the hassle, just buy another printer :).

Kingetter
20-Oct-07, 23:25
Very many thanks. I suppose ultimately printer will just cease to work if not 'repaired'?

fred
21-Oct-07, 14:45
Very many thanks. I suppose ultimately printer will just cease to work if not 'repaired'?

I think it would keep working but eventually the waste ink that is usually soaked up by the pads would leak out of the bottom of the printer instead. The printer doesn't know that the pads are full it just counts how many times the jets have been cleaned and assumes so it could keep going a long time before that happens.

Kingetter
21-Oct-07, 15:00
Cheers Fred, I'm trying to save up for an A3 printer but am quite a bit short right now - don't want to have to buy another A4 one in the meantime.
Kinda need an A3 one for big Family Tree Charts. Folding A3 sheets of paper isn't too handy.

James.