20-Oct-07, 19:45
mon south africa get rite intae the english
well said,jim shoe!

footie chick
20-Oct-07, 19:47
We're all behind you South Africa two in a row would be just LOVELY :lol:

huh
20-Oct-07, 19:49
I was born in Scotland, I've lived here all my life and all my relatives are Scottish.

Mon the English!

sam
20-Oct-07, 19:50
well said Jim Shoe, wish them all the best :)

mr do dar
20-Oct-07, 20:05
come on england bring home the cup. for briton

changilass
20-Oct-07, 20:08
Scotland having gone out of the competition I can't say I am too bothered as to who wins, I just hope it is as good a game as the one for 3rd and 4th place.

bluelady
20-Oct-07, 20:13
Aye I vote for the neighbours, not the strangers, they did well to get this far, so Mon England :)

Julia
20-Oct-07, 20:31
Backing South Africa all the way!! ;)

BRIE
20-Oct-07, 21:21
Why is it the scots never back the English??[disgust]
Got to say ive never come across an englishman that doesnt back the scots in sports.

sam
20-Oct-07, 21:41
Scots shouldnt have to back the English any more than the English should have to back the Scots.:roll:

Julia
20-Oct-07, 22:03
15 - 6, a good win to South Africa

scorrie
20-Oct-07, 22:06
19 - 6, a good win to South Africa

I am 99% certain that you have got that score incorrect!! ;)

sam
20-Oct-07, 22:09
The score was 15 - 6

Welcomefamily
20-Oct-07, 22:10
great news south africa have humped england so at least we wont have to listen to the drivel and spouting from the english

congtratulations south africa
Hardly a humping, but well done South Africa they deserved it on the night.

Phoebus_Apollo
20-Oct-07, 23:12
Congratulations to South Africa for hammering England at the Rugby well done!:D Now we won`t have to hear about it for the next four years!!

nikki
23-Oct-07, 13:31
Why is it the scots never back the English??
Got to say ive never come across an englishman that doesnt back the scots in sports.

Have you not noticed aswell though, that if an English person wins something, they're English, whereas if it's a Scot that wins something, they're classed as BRITISH?
And if the Scot lost they would be Scottish.

And I don't see the point if backing someone because they are closer geographically, you should support the team you want to.

Rheghead
23-Oct-07, 13:50
I'm glad the South Africans won. It just shows that the English aren't that perfect.

Rheghead
23-Oct-07, 13:52
Have you not noticed as well though, that if an English person wins something, they're English, whereas if it's a Scot that wins something, they're classed as BRITISH?

That is a popular myth north of the border.:Razz

paris
23-Oct-07, 17:44
I'm glad the South Africans won. It just shows that the English aren't that perfect.
TUT TUT Rheghead Im english and PERFECT !!! ;)

porshiepoo
23-Oct-07, 18:16
Have you not noticed aswell though, that if an English person wins something, they're English, whereas if it's a Scot that wins something, they're classed as BRITISH?

And I don't see the point if backing someone because they are closer geographically, you should support the team you want to.

Actually that's just one of the many myths that some Scots like to grasp just so they can keep bringing it up.
It's simply a figment of an over active, somewhat bored and probably more than mild inferiority complex.
If a person wins they're probably described as British but if it all goes bums up then a persons country is stated wherever they come from, England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales.
The old 'A scottish althlete is only British till it all goes wrong, then He's scottish' moan is sooooooo overdone now. Seriously!

I agree you should support the team you want, whatever that team maybe.
However to support a team, any team, just because it's any other than England is stupid, sad and ignorant.

Some people are just sheep!!!!!!!!!!!

BRIE
23-Oct-07, 23:09
well said Poshiepoo!:lol:

ber219
24-Oct-07, 09:45
Porshiepoo i applaud your post. I couldn't have put it any better myself.

paris
24-Oct-07, 11:30
GO porshie ...go girl !! jan x

hotrod4
24-Oct-07, 13:12
Actually that's just one of the many myths that some Scots like to grasp just so they can keep bringing it up.
It's simply a figment of an over active, somewhat bored and probably more than mild inferiority complex.
If a person wins they're probably described as British but if it all goes bums up then a persons country is stated wherever they come from, England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales.
The old 'A scottish althlete is only British till it all goes wrong, then He's scottish' moan is sooooooo overdone now. Seriously!

I agree you should support the team you want, whatever that team maybe.
However to support a team, any team, just because it's any other than England is stupid, sad and ignorant.

Some people are just sheep!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe the reason that scots support any team that plays England is all down to the media and not the people?
For example when england lost on sunday night a whole 11 mins of a 20 min news program was dedicated to the rugby. In it the whole way through the news caster constantly refered to England as "we".
When Scotland beat france at football it was "the scots".(C0-incidentally the "2nd" news story was about Nuclear weapons in Iran, but the rugby took centre stage!!)
So i dont really think it is a myth that England gets all the support and scots dont as was proved by the BBc on sunday night.

PS just for Info I have supported England on numerous occassions at football, its just really gets on peoples nerves when the English media ram it down our throats!!!! par-example 1966?

Rheghead
24-Oct-07, 13:17
In it the whole way through the news caster constantly refered to England as "we".
When Scotland beat france at football it was "the scots".

Incidentally, was the reporter English?:roll: I wouldn't want a BBC( assuming it was, but it doesn't really matter) to steamroll over a man's need to express his national identity, eh? You make it sound ifthere is an English conspiracy right at the heart of decision makers in British broadcasting. Get over it.

peter macdonald
24-Oct-07, 14:01
"just for Info I have supported England on numerous occassions at football, its just really gets on peoples nerves when the English media ram it down our throats!!!! par-example 1966?"

Most of my English mates find the 1966 thing embarrasing as well and they cringe when they hear some of the comments made by the likes of Jimmy Hill just as I do with most of the Scottish sports media At least the English have the likes of Paddy Barclay and Mahir Bose as a counter balance to the clowns
In Scotland ??? Hugh McIllvany Graham Spiers perhaps and and well there was the late Ian Archer in the 80s and 90s and John Rafferty in the 60s

porshiepoo
24-Oct-07, 15:11
Maybe the reason that scots support any team that plays England is all down to the media and not the people?

But when people moan about and harp on about English football and the win in 66 the majority of them say 'The ENGLISH ram it down our throats'. Not the English media. The whole English nation is being tarred with the same brush.
And I must say IMO the Scots that do have a problem with the 66 win wouldn't feel the same if they'd had a win. Unfortunately Scotland haven't done as well as England at football so can't be expected to understand what pride alot of English have in it. Maybe one day eh! I'm sure Scotlands time will come. Surely it must!

For example when england lost on sunday night a whole 11 mins of a 20 min news program was dedicated to the rugby. In it the whole way through the news caster constantly refered to England as "we".
When Scotland beat france at football it was "the scots".(C0-incidentally the "2nd" news story was about Nuclear weapons in Iran, but the rugby took centre stage!!)

Can't win then really can we? Scotland beats France at football and it's Scotland, not Britain that is given the credit and you still find something to moan about.

So i dont really think it is a myth that England gets all the support and scots dont as was proved by the BBc on sunday night.

But if Scotland had been in the rugby finals then I'm sure they would have gotten the same coverage. But they weren't so they didn't!
Don't look for snubs everywhere.

PS just for Info I have supported England on numerous occassions at football, its just really gets on peoples nerves when the English media ram it down our throats!!!! par-example 1966?

Is it the English media that keep the 66 win going or Scots that moan about it?
I have ready many papers and I can honestly say I hear more griping about Englands so called bragging on this forum or from Scots themselves than I have read in any newspaper.
England won't forget the win because A) why should they and B) Scots won't let them.

Rheghead
24-Oct-07, 15:20
England won't forget the win because A) why should they and B) Scots won't let them.

Just imagine what it would be like if Scotland won the WC. We are still hearing about the Archie Gemmil goal and the 'keepy uppy' in 1967![lol]

hotrod4
24-Oct-07, 15:35
With all the qouting of my post going on here I had to check that i was in Caithness and not England!! (joking)
The BBC are the worlds worst at going on about England.
But even GMTV devoted the whole of last fridays show to the english rugby even speaking to the wives!!.
When Scotland have their "do or die" game against Italy can we expect the same un-biased coverage? very much doubt it.

Maybe the reason scots go on about it so much is because we have a point????

I am scottish proud to be scottish but believe it or not i have english blood in me!! even my english relatives admit they never hear anything about scottish sporting achievements.

peter macdonald
24-Oct-07, 15:45
1967 you said 1967 !!!!+++ "I hearby declare Winifred Margaret Ewing as the new member of parliament for the said constiuncy of Hamilton" que rapturous applause++++
PM

rockchick
24-Oct-07, 18:44

It wasn't a myth when Alain Baxter skiied in the 2002 Olympics. When he was at his glory, he was British in all the media. When the drug-testing fiasco occurred, he suddenly became the Scottish skiier.

Maybe it's not as prevalent as the other postings make it sound, but it certainly happened then.

Oddquine
24-Oct-07, 19:12
Just imagine what it would be like if Scotland won the WC. We are still hearing about the Archie Gemmil goal and the 'keepy uppy' in 1967![lol]

You'd be hearing about it on forums like this right enough, Rheghead..........but I'd bet you anything you like that you wouldn't be hearing it ad nauseam in BBC sports programmes which are broadcast UK wide.

And you certainly wouldn't be getting injuries to Scotland players as "news" in the UK news.....unless they played for English clubs, maybe. :roll:

Rheghead
24-Oct-07, 20:04
When he was at his glory, he was British in all the media. When the drug-testing fiasco occurred, he suddenly became the Scottish skiier.

He was Scottish when he was alledgedly cheating and he was still Scottish when he got alledgedly found out.

Rheghead
24-Oct-07, 20:12
but I'd bet you anything you like that you wouldn't be hearing it ad nauseam in BBC sports programmes which are broadcast UK wide.

Good, or I would certainly make an vitriolic complaint to the English Inner Sanctum at the Beeb who would put a stop to it forthwith.;)

porshiepoo
24-Oct-07, 21:21
It wasn't a myth when Alain Baxter skiied in the 2002 Olympics. When he was at his glory, he was British in all the media. When the drug-testing fiasco occurred, he suddenly became the Scottish skiier.

Maybe it's not as prevalent as the other postings make it sound, but it certainly happened then.

Actually the headline at the time was 'British Skier', he was only described as Scottish in the write up.

British Athlete Christine Ohuruogo was described in exactly the same way during her drugs scandal a while ago. Only in her write up they not only described her as English but also as the 'East Londoner'.

Get over it. Seriously!

porshiepoo
24-Oct-07, 21:25
[quote]
[quote=Oddquine;287324]You'd be hearing about it on forums like this right enough, Rheghead..........but I'd bet you anything you like that you wouldn't be hearing it ad nauseam in BBC sports programmes which are broadcast UK wide.

Unfortunately we'll probably never see that theory put to the test eh! ;)

tip top
24-Oct-07, 22:07

Ho Ho!

'fraid I was supporting the Springboks, I've got a bit of South African in my blood - Chenin Blanc!

bluelady
24-Oct-07, 22:15
They need to have a team of half bred Scots and English, then there can be no argumnents [lol]

quirbal
24-Oct-07, 22:19
Oh I can't wait to see Croatia and Russia qualifiy for Euro 2008.:lol: