PDA

View Full Version : Strimmers

Rheghead
20-Aug-05, 18:57
I just bought myself a Makita 42cc strimmer today,I used to buy those cheapo flymo ones but they only lasted a year before the electric motor burnt out. I think I made a good decision to get a good petrol one. It came with a circular blade on it and it does the business with the grass and brambles but it doesn't half do damage to my trees. I know I should be a bit more careful but would changing the blade to a strimmer head be a better idea? Are they a pain to lengthen the cord every time it snaps or do they do it automatically?

honestjohn
20-Aug-05, 20:34
You should be able to change the head for one with strimmer cord and should the cord snap it should lengthen the cord automatically. On some strimmers you can tap the reel on the ground as it is spinning and the cord should automatically lengthen.

Naefearjustbeer
21-Aug-05, 17:14
my strimmer needs a tap on the ground to put out more cord nice and easy, it is a wee bit fidly to refill the spool once its empty though

motopitcrew
22-Aug-05, 14:11
you should never use a strimmer near trees or shrubs whether it has a nilon cord or a brush cutter blade as both will kill the trees by stripping the bark
you can get both manual or automatic heads to fit any strimmer and they just screw on by hand although you should have got one with the machine
also you will find the nilon is much stronger than it is in the electric ones