PDA

View Full Version : Important Information!!!

highlander
19-Oct-07, 12:28
Was reading BBC site and came across this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7052223.stm

Ricco
19-Oct-07, 21:23
Ah, thank goodness I use WPA then.:D

Camel Spider
19-Oct-07, 22:12
Oh dear .. I have a BT Home Hub. Thanks for posting this Highlander, I will contact them to see what they are doing about upgrading.

Mr_Me19
19-Oct-07, 22:56
The thing about encryption is that it can never be 100% secure. There has always been vulnerabilities in WEP. Every so often there is a big hype about security, everyone panicks, the ISP's roll out updates, everyone is happy. More often than not these don't do much.

I'm not too worried about this. In a rural place like this we don't need to worry. I would notice if anyone was sitting outside, and as for neighbours.... well I hope that they are as honest as they seem.

BUT!!!! If you can use WPA instead of WEP then do so. It is much more secure.

Yoda the flump
19-Oct-07, 23:10
Oh dear .. I have a BT Home Hub. Thanks for posting this Highlander, I will contact them to see what they are doing about upgrading.

If you log onto your Hub as admin user rather than basic you can change to WPA as the encryption protocol is already supported on the home hub. It is set up as WEP by default and can be easily changed.

saxovtr
19-Oct-07, 23:27
some1 near to me has been hacked through wi fi by a supposedly computer repair man,not going to name names though

huh
20-Oct-07, 00:45
I'm not bothered. You can barely get a signal inside nevermind outside.

Mr_Me19
20-Oct-07, 12:24
I've always found that my homehub has great signal? I am able to recieve the signal of a neighbour who's house is about 70m away. (I know its theirs because I set it up for them).

veekay
20-Oct-07, 16:34
Sometimes it is great being a technophobe!

Camel Spider
20-Oct-07, 18:03
If you log onto your Hub as admin user rather than basic you can change to WPA as the encryption protocol is already supported on the home hub. It is set up as WEP by default and can be easily changed.

Done !! .. Thanks for the pointer.

Bobinovich
20-Oct-07, 23:29
Heh, am in a B&B in Inversnechie just now surfing through their totally unsecured wireless connection!

When we arrived we asked about wireless as they had mentioned it was available, the owner said that he was having problems with it. Naturally I took a wee look (a busmans holiday :roll:!) to find that, when his wife had turned off power to the whole lot the previous night, the wireless router had lost its ADSL login username and password.

Managed to get those input and back online, then I said "Your security is turned off - what type and code do you normally have it set to?" to which he replied "None"!

I tried explaining that down here he should have WEP as a bare minimum but he wasn't interested!. So if you're looking for an unencrypted WiFi spot in Inverness scroll down...

...Ha, you've got to be kidding :Razz

huh
20-Oct-07, 23:32
I do look forward to the day where wireless internet access is everywhere and free. Until then get off my connection! ;)

Welcomefamily
21-Oct-07, 00:23
I ve changed mine over to WPA today.

xx_chickie
23-Oct-07, 11:05
It's such a scary thought, hope nobody's had bad experiences with fraud, etc?