PDA

View Full Version : Ban this menace!

northener
19-Oct-07, 11:42
So much for land of the free........

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20071019/tts-lifestyle-us-fashion-youth-race-3c8ed92_1.html

What irritating (but not as dangerous and threatening as having your kecks peeping out) aspects of youth culture would you ban, given the opportunity?

Me, I'd make it illegal for anyone under 25 to drive whilst wearing, or attempting to wear, a baseball cap.

Also I'd make it an offence to posess a vacant expression in a built-up area, oooh, and...and...and...

Rheghead
19-Oct-07, 12:21
The trouble with fashions like this is that young people think they are expressing their identity, until it suddenly dawns on their under-developed lobes that everyone is doing the same and they no longer are doing so.

Camel Spider
19-Oct-07, 12:50
I would ban :

Text Speak .. and the annoying habit the young have of writing sentences without comma's full stops or capital letters. We already have a language, why not learn that one properly first ??

Boy and Girl Bands .. somehow a 16 year old singing about how he is all alone with a broken heart and he cant go on is a bit silly. Wait until you have married her, divorced her and then she has taken the house, the car and cut up all of your clothes .. THEN you have a reason to be depressed my friend.

Seventeen year olds and their Vauxhall Corsa's .. Putting a big exhaust pipe on a 1.0 litre Corsa isnt big or clever. Its just fixed speed with a SLIGHTLY louder noise. Its daft, especially if the puddle jumper in question is pale blue, green or brown. And alloy wheels the size of a manhole cover just makes it look like your compensating .. :roll:

Hoodies .. But for a practical reason. Keeping your head covered will lead to overheating and a premature loss of hair guys. And believe me there is nothing more depressing than spotting an attractive woman walking down the street towards you and realising that she is looking away because the reflection of the sun from your shiny bonce is blinding her.

Student Trends .. Has it occurred to Students that you cannot express your individuality by dressing the same, listening to the same music, and getting on the same political high horses. Where are all the Hippy students .. Now that would be original.

Thats about it really .. ;)

Ricco
19-Oct-07, 21:20
Hee, hee. Love Camelspider's drift. I couldn't agree more - but will add 'high fives' and diddy 4in ties to the pile. Since when were we American? High five me indeed! (I'm Canadian, by the way) And what's with this current fashion amongst kids to wear their shirts out and ties as short as possible? No..... don't tell me..... its American, isn't it! :eek:

karia
19-Oct-07, 21:27
[quote=Camel Spider

Seventeen year olds and their Vauxhall Corsa's .. Putting a big exhaust pipe on a 1.0 litre Corsa isnt big or clever. Its just fixed speed with a SLIGHTLY louder noise. Its daft, especially if the puddle jumper in question is pale blue, green or brown. And alloy wheels the size of a manhole cover just makes it look like your compensating .. [/quote]

Why do all the idiot drivers have Corsa's...low insurance or what ?!:eek:

Mind you, there is nothing sadder than a' souped up' Micra![lol]

karia

helenwyler
19-Oct-07, 21:53
I don't think these guys are trying to express individuality...why would they wear the same 'uniform' if they did?

It's more a tribe or 'corporate' identity...rebellious youth against conformity, I think.

And is there anyone on this forum who was young from the 1950s onwards whose parents didn't throw up their hands in horror:eek: at their outlandish clothing when they were teenagers?

I was certainly moaned at as a teenager for wearing mini-skirts, too much make-up, jeans (yes!) and trying to straighten my curly locks Mary-Quant style![lol] I thought I looked good, and if my parents didn't like it...all the better...that was part of the fun!

karia
19-Oct-07, 22:00
I don't think these guys are trying to express individuality...why would they wear the same 'uniform' if they did?

It's more a tribe or 'corporate' identity...rebellious youth against conformity, I think.

And is there anyone on this forum who was young from the 1950s onwards whose parents didn't throw up their hands in horror at their outlandish clothing when they were teenagers?

I was certainly moaned at as a teenager for wearing mini-shirts, too much make-up, jeans (yes!) and trying to straighten my curly locks Mary-Quant style! I thought I looked good, and if my parents didn't like it...all the better...that was part of the fun!

YEAHH!:eek:

But we had Style!;)

helenwyler
19-Oct-07, 22:05
YEAHH!

But we had Style!

Well we certainly thought so at the time:lol:...looking at old footage makes me think otherwise sometimes!!:eek:

Camel Spider
19-Oct-07, 22:20
Well we certainly thought so at the time...looking at old footage makes me think otherwise sometimes!!

Had a cringworthy moment a while back when I found some photo's from a school disco when I was 16, it was the Miami Vice fashion era. My Nephew still laughs about the incriminating photo.

Hair was streaked with Blonde, One of the "Paint Splash" suits in Grey, Pink t-shirt, sleeves rolled up, slip on shoes and no socks.

But it was the rolled up sleeves that REALLY set the outfit off .. ;)

And not so much designer stubble as designer bum fluff .. :eek:

Thumper
19-Oct-07, 22:28
Camelspider,it didn't do anything for Don J either [lol] x

Ricco
20-Oct-07, 15:29

And is there anyone on this forum who was young from the 1950s onwards whose parents didn't throw up their hands in horror:eek: at their outlandish clothing when they were teenagers?

I was certainly moaned at as a teenager for wearing mini-shirts, too much make-up, jeans (yes!) and trying to straighten my curly locks Mary-Quant style![lol] I thought I looked good, and if my parents didn't like it...all the better...that was part of the fun!

I would say that they are not bright enough to realise that they are not being the individuals that they think they are. They probably think that 'corporate' is a rank in the army! LOL

Jeemag_USA
20-Oct-07, 17:20
I am totally for the ban, the report on Yahoo is totally inaccurate. There is no racism involved, kids over here of all races and colors are doing the same thing. It has been against school rules in all the schools in this state for this way of dressing for years, since day one. This did all start in prison and wearing the pants at half mast signified you were spoken for by another inmate, in other words you were somebody's boyfriend or sex slave. My son was at it too, he is not black, he is not allowed to buy pants that are too big for his waist, and we as parents are sticking to it.

Having said that, a lot of kids are sensible with it, they just let their pants rest on their hips and it shows the tops of their underwear, but i have seen kids in my own neighborhood wearing elasticated basketball shorts so far down their whole ass is sticking out and they do it with jeans, they put them round their thighs and pull the belt tight so they won't fall down, then they have to walk funny as well to make sure they don't. I don't want to see guys backsides in the street.

Welcomefamily
21-Oct-07, 00:17
It might put a few off over here if they knew where it came from.

rockchick
23-Oct-07, 07:34
What I want to know is how do they stay on? Surely they must fall off at some point!

Jeemag_USA
23-Oct-07, 12:58
What I want to know is how do they stay on? Surely they must fall off at some point!

You have to develop a new way of walking, which resembles someone who had an accident in their pants, to keep them up, thats what makes it funny, most kids don't realise when they are trying to look cool others think they have crapped themselves :L

Bobinovich
23-Oct-07, 16:53
Had a cringworthy moment a while back when I found some photo's from a school disco when I was 16, it was the Miami Vice fashion era. My Nephew still laughs about the incriminating photo.

Hair was streaked with Blonde, One of the "Paint Splash" suits in Grey, Pink t-shirt, sleeves rolled up, slip on shoes and no socks.

But it was the rolled up sleeves that REALLY set the outfit off ..

And not so much designer stubble as designer bum fluff ..

OMG :eek:! I've got some of those photos too LOL! Fashion victims or what...