PDA

View Full Version : Castletown Tonight...

Tubthumper
18-Oct-07, 21:44
Your teenage son or daughter is probably up at the primary school just now, creating a bit of general vandalism and hooliganism. Good, isn't it?

mccaugm
18-Oct-07, 21:48
Could you explain what your talking about a little more...

Tubthumper
18-Oct-07, 21:54
Oh the usual, gang of teenagers hanging about, doing harmless things like setting aerosol cans on fire in the school entrance, you try to speak to them, you get a mouthful of abuse then they run away laughing.

karia
18-Oct-07, 22:04
Oh the usual, gang of teenagers hanging about, doing harmless things like setting aerosol cans on fire in the school entrance, you try to speak to them, you get a mouthful of abuse then they run away laughing.

Mmmn! Bit Confrontational though!

Have you phoned the police?

we are most probably in uttermost agreement wi' you ..but your initial post could use some thought...and hasnae done ye any favours!:confused

karia

mccaugm
18-Oct-07, 22:08
Tend to agree with Karia...I know your angry but when writing a primary comment on a thread, make it clear to the people that will read it what the issue is.

Tubthumper
18-Oct-07, 22:12
Mmmn! Bit Confrontational though!

Have you phoned the police?

we are most probably in uttermost agreement wi' you ..but your initial post could use some thought...and hasnae done ye any favours!:confused

karia

Fair enough, I wasn't looking for favours. By the time the polis got here (probably next Friday) the flames would be oot. And who wants to get the wee gems into trouble, surely better to get their parents to speak to them??
Confrontational? What would be better Karia, walking past and pretending nothing was happening?
As far as the original post was concerned, perhaps it made Castletown parents think a wee bit about where their offspring are. After all, they must be someone's little darlings.

Thumper
18-Oct-07, 22:13
I agree with Karia too, yes it is annoying but to put your teenage son or daughter is a bit insulting,how do you know who's kids it is?If you do know then phone the police and report it x

Mr_Me19
18-Oct-07, 22:16
That damn mind control again... Can't believe I was at that school using fire and can't even remember it....

Its not all kids who do that. Only certain ones. The kids who don't do it are the sensible ones. Give us a bit of credit please? Don't just discriminate us.

Mr_Me19
18-Oct-07, 22:21
*OUCH!* My ears are ringing!!

Darling mother just came up the stairs and gave me a belt about the ears for playing with fire at the school.... and I hadn't even left my room.... Some tubthumper told her that all the kids were doing it.

Crazes these days.... :lol:

Tubthumper
18-Oct-07, 22:30
Sorry Mr Me! Didn't mean to cause your lug pain.
It's nice to know that some of Castletown's young finest are a bit more sensible. You probably know the crew involved, they're good kids really aren't they?
Got nothing against young folk in general, after all we all had our teenage moments. However what starts as a bit of harmless arson can sometimes get out of hand, and then of course, it was nobody's fault because no-one was there...

Anne x
18-Oct-07, 22:36
Find this posting a bit odd !!! what is he or she actually saying are there children setting fire to a school in that case should the police not be called ? or a least the Janny

Mr_Me19
18-Oct-07, 22:37
You probably know the crew involved, they're good kids really aren't they?

Probably yeah, and no not really. I can see why they would wander around the village being loud. But why they feel the need to set fire to things... I know it's cold but come on?

Tubthumper
18-Oct-07, 22:40
Not actually setting the school on fire, just setting a fire at the school. You know, the kind of thing youngsters do?
Seems that it's OK for them to do a bit of amateur arson, but not OK for me to be concerned; after all it's only the school my grandkids go to, and that I pay for with my Council tax etc, why should I be concerned?
Re informing the Police or janny: Answers can be posted here...

Anne x
18-Oct-07, 22:42
Eh !!! sorry tubthumper no I dont I personally would inform the authorities

Thumper
18-Oct-07, 22:48
I agree with Anne,you should phone the police straight away at least then if something does happen you won't be sitting there wishing you had done so,or at least contact the janitor if you know who it is? x

Tubthumper
18-Oct-07, 22:49
I suppose the unfortunate thing is that the parents of these eleven mutants don't log onto caithness.org, and if they did they wouldn't care what their kids were up to. Or more likely, they'd deny that their kids would be involved in such a thing. So that's all right then.
After all, what else is there for kids to do in Castletown?

Victoria
18-Oct-07, 22:50
i'd be annoyed if i was you tubthumper. and the org is as good a place as any to vent your frustrations! x

Mr_Me19
18-Oct-07, 22:51
Its always the parents with the worst behaved kids that think theirs are perfect. I have seen that all too often....

Thumper
18-Oct-07, 22:56
Thats WHY they need to be reported and dealt with properly!It's all too easy for the kids to say it wasn't them and the parents to side with the kids because they are unsure as to what really did happen,if the police came round to my kids I would make sure I knew exactly what had happened and exactly where they were in future!If kids get away with things like this they will only go on to "bigger and better" things to do and thats when it will end in tragedy x

Anne x
18-Oct-07, 22:56
Yes I agree but dont just sit back and do nothing surely !!!!

Tubthumper
18-Oct-07, 23:05
Thats WHY they need to be reported and dealt with properly!It's all too easy for the kids to say it wasn't them and the parents to side with the kids because they are unsure as to what really did happen,if the police came round to my kids I would make sure I knew exactly what had happened and exactly where they were in future!If kids get away with things like this they will only go on to "bigger and better" things to do and thats when it will end in tragedy x
So, I report this to the police. On Monday evening next week a policeman comes to the house to take a statement, including names. He then goes to the homes of the 11 individuals concerned who all deny they were there. There has been no damage to the school (luckily). Exactly what action will the police take? And even if they were able to do something, would nailing an ASBO to one or two who have been caught for just too many wee irritations do any good whatsoever?
'Dealt wth properly' as regards low-level annoyance like this is a term used only by politicians, those of us who live in rural areas know only too well, and that's not intended as a reflection on the local constabulary. It's simple fact.
SO the only solutions are: for the parents of these brutes to lock them up after 8pm and keep them away from 'bad influences' (b) for local chaps to band together and deal out some local retribution, known as a 'scheme kicking' where I come from or (c) to put up with it
What do you think?

Phoebus_Apollo
18-Oct-07, 23:23
I`m all in favour of Charles Bronson style Vigilante squads clearing up these scum, Thurso is becoming a hell hole just now with teenage scumbags hanging round the main street....the police are too lenient, the parents are useless and the public are too scared to say anything for fear of attack.

Anne x
18-Oct-07, 23:29
Tubthumper so what is the answer ? report them !!!! did you maybe think one of the parents was posting on the org and got a sudden rush of ---- Oh my god my child is out where is he or she dont think so !!! do something as it will only get worse

Anne x
18-Oct-07, 23:32
Phoebus Apollo!!!! Charles Bronson what in the Mechanic ???? go live in La La land with G W Bush surely not Castletown or Thursa

Tubthumper
18-Oct-07, 23:34
Tubthumper so what is the answer ? report them !!!! did you maybe think one of the parents was posting on the org and got a sudden rush of ---- Oh my god my child is out where is he or she dont think so !!! do something as it will only get worse
Not sure what you're about here Anne, but at least the issue is out in the open, on a friendly website where discussion about the local issues that concern us can be looked at.
If my initial post caused eyes to open.... yaay, victory for the downtrodden but right-thinking Castletown folk!
Maybe if just one parent even asks their kid where they were, it'll prevent a little bit of more serious trouble. Would that be a bad thing?

Phoebus_Apollo
18-Oct-07, 23:36
Phoebus Apollo!!!! Charles Bronson what in the Mechanic ???? go live in La La land with G W Bush surely not Castletown or Thursa

La La Land which state is that in?;)

Anne x
19-Oct-07, 00:06
Yours !!!!!

golach
19-Oct-07, 00:31
Sorry folks Im agree with Tubbs, these apprentice thugs, know the difference between right and wrong, and they all know the get out of jail terms.
I blame the parents, in my teenage years my parents knew where I was, if not I was in trouble, and you never wanted to cross my dad, something I learnt very quickly.

Anne x
19-Oct-07, 00:48
Not sure what you're about here Anne, but at least the issue is out in the open, on a friendly website where discussion about the local issues that concern us can be looked at.
If my initial post caused eyes to open.... yaay, victory for the downtrodden but right-thinking Castletown folk!
Maybe if just one parent even asks their kid where they were, it'll prevent a little bit of more serious trouble. Would that be a bad thing?

Yes I agree with that !!! but my point is why let them off with it and report it or them !! not every parent knows where there child is these days its the way it is and thats why parenting etc is breaking down I as a child had to report where I was and where I was going and who with !!! alas its not like that nowadays and Im no in my dotage YET !!!

philupmaboug
19-Oct-07, 01:34
Castletown is not an exception, it is the norm! all towns and villages have the same idiots and we are at the moment useing the same instrument that teaches them.... the net. Look at u tube, how stuff works or bebo and find out where to use an aresol as a flame thrower or how to build a pipe bomb! it's a scarey world......adapt.

Welcomefamily
19-Oct-07, 05:42
At least its not setting peoples wheelie bins on fire again, but I do agree the parents should have to take some responsibility for their actions.
I have heard lots of people comment on how elderly people dont like walking down the street there.
Some of the younger ones are a real shock, I stopped there one night to go in the shop (about 9.00pm) and there was a group of about six kids there, I have never heard such swearing, these kids were about 9 or 10.

I found it amazing that these kids were still out at that time of night, I think its a total lack of parent responsibility.

Thumper
19-Oct-07, 10:37
Yes tubthumper maybe this thread will make one of the parents ask where their kids were last nite but as you pointed out they will just deny it anyway!I don't think any kid would turn round and say "actually Mum I was at the school setting light to aerosol cans,it was great fun" will they?IMO it would have been better to call the police immediately and report the incident,at least then you have done your duty even if the police didn't follow it up!Our eyes are all wide open anyway so the post probably didn't help in that regard,we all have to go for zero tolerance and that means reporting it as soon as you see it x

Oddquine
19-Oct-07, 10:45
So far I've not had problems here, touch wood, but when I was in Elgin saying anything to misbehaving kids or reporting them only brought grief.......like broken windows. Makes one think twice about seeing anything at all.

Mr P Cannop
19-Oct-07, 11:06
are the flowers still there from the crash ??

mk1
19-Oct-07, 17:52
Hi there everyone this is mk1, this is my first time talking to you. My attention was taken by the post about Castletown children.
Someone mentioned maybe approaching the Janitor. I know the Janitor, who may I say is approachable and aware of the situation as I too have raised this issue with great concern. He assures me that he is aware of this and he has taken steps to inform the appropriate people, who can deal with this.

Thumper
19-Oct-07, 18:08
Hello there mk1 and welcome to the org!Happy posting!Thanks for letting us know the situation with the janitor too x

percy toboggan
19-Oct-07, 19:11
The more I read stuff on this forum the more I thank my lucky stars I joined it.
I was thinking of settling up your way when I pack in work. A couple of visits and an optimistic outlook led me to believe that the far north was still a good place to live.I was completely wrong.

I can honestly say I have read far fewer accounts of 'bad stuff' down here in my own locale.On the edge of England's second city. It really isn't so bad after all.

From vandalism to drugs, to folk not stopping for accidents to all manner of woes and tribulations. The country is absolutely stuffed from top to bottom ,east to west with ne'er doo wells, the indulged, the thick and the brainless.

Maybe I should look to France. You won't miss me, nor I thee. But I think it's time to toddle offski.

At least for a while.

Julia
19-Oct-07, 20:52
Why not snap them in action using your mobile phone if you have one and catch them all red-handed? There would then be no denying their extra curricular activities [lol]

karia
19-Oct-07, 20:58
The more I read stuff on this forum the more I thank my lucky stars I joined it.
I was thinking of settling up your way when I pack in work. A couple of visits and an optimistic outlook led me to believe that the far north was still a good place to live.I was completely wrong.

I can honestly say I have read far fewer accounts of 'bad stuff' down here in my own locale.On the edge of England's second city. It really isn't so bad after all.

From vandalism to drugs, to folk not stopping for accidents to all manner of woes and tribulations. The country is absolutely stuffed from top to bottom ,east to west with ne'er doo wells, the indulged, the thick and the brainless.

Maybe I should look to France. You won't miss me, nor I thee. But I think it's time to toddle offski.

At least for a while.

If the rest of the country is experiencing something then perhaps it is time to take your expectations on a reality check!

What difference do you think the Channel will make?:eek:

But good to know how little you think of us...and I suspect anyone who disagrees with you!

Karia

percy toboggan
20-Oct-07, 07:09
If the rest of the country is experiencing something then perhaps it is time to take your expectations on a reality check!

What difference do you think the Channel will make?:eek:

But good to know how little you think of us...and I suspect anyone who disagrees with you!

Karia
If you don't know then you should get across it more often.
You are utterly wrong on your final point,
however you are one I shall undoubtedly miss the least.

hotrod4
20-Oct-07, 08:03

The far north is a lovely place to live. Yes it has its problems but not on the same scale as other places.
The reason you have heard so much on here is because we care and want to discuss it, thats something you wont find in a large city.
yes there has been incidents but thats a miniscule minority, its just people up here stick together and know each others business.

If you no longer wish to move up here then it will be your loss as caithness has so much to offer families and I am sure alot of the English contigent on here would testify to that AMEN!!

Camel Spider
20-Oct-07, 08:06
Just read down the thread and while the parents should obviously take some responsibility (But most wont) if you feel threatened by these kids then take some action. I have a friend who is a Policeman and he is as hacked off with things as the rest of the Public, he says he spends all his time on paperwork and complaints against them by people they have arrested. These have to be taken seriously as it is their "Human Rights" apparently. He would love to be out on the beat as it is what he joined for, not doing paperwork.

Take action yourselves, if the kids all have alibi's and get away with it then do the same, organise a Neighbourhood Watch scheme and be overt about it. At the end of the day dont be a victim. The scheme of flats I live in recently had a problem with a small gang of chavs and chavettes who thought they could terrorise a few people here, it all came to a head one night I caught the ringleader trying to pull the lid of my wheelie bin. He got a fast and effective physical warning and made to look a prat in front of his mates. Being made to apologise in a falsetto voice (firm grip on jacket and testicles, squeeze and repeat) seemed to calm him down. Funnily enough his three or four male colleagues did NOTHING to help him. They only behaved like this because they thought they would get away with it, removing that illusion removed the problem. And starting a rumour that I had caught him and his mate indulging in a bit of man love was, I thought, inspired and the icing on the cake.

The Police cant help you, most parents wont help you. Maybe a united front and a bit of zero tolerance will help.

Mister Squiggle
20-Oct-07, 10:16
Actually, Percy, your post reminded me of a Jeremy Vine story this week (Monday I think). I missed the name of the man talking, but it was based around youth depression and crime in the UK (one of those "Why are our children so messed up?" stories).
He gave an amazing set of statistics on teenage activity. In Scotland, 65% of teenagers surveyed said they would spend "most evenings" in their week outside on the street with their friends, rather than at home with parents. In France, that statistic was 17%. In England, only something like 15% (if I recall correctly) of teenagers ate dinner with their parents. In Italy? 80%
What the speaker was getting at, and given that some of his stats might be a little out, or weighted, was that it is more culturally acceptable for teenagers in France and Italy to spend the bulk of their out-of-school time within the family unit, or with extended family adults and friends. Here, it is more the norm that younger people go out more just with their peers and miss out on quality communication and time with older people.
I'm not sure whether greater family time can be linked to reduced crime, or giving all the neighbours a break from the darlings lighting up bins and blowing off aerosol cans, but you have to wonder.
Viva la France! ;)

bobandag16
20-Oct-07, 10:53
47 years in caithness. came as english b .loved it.will never leave.best place and people. speak funny.

bobandag16
20-Oct-07, 11:14
The far north is a lovely place to live. Yes it has its problems but not on the same scale as other places.
The reason you have heard so much on here is because we care and want to discuss it, thats something you wont find in a large city.
yes there has been incidents but thats a miniscule minority, its just people up here stick together and know each others business.

If you no longer wish to move up here then it will be your loss as caithness has so much to offer families and I am sure alot of the English contigent on here would testify to that AMEN!!
as incomer agree with you.english scot by marriage.

northener
20-Oct-07, 11:35
Percy,

I think the comment about talking openly about what is occurring locally is very valid.

I have spent most of my life living in different areas of England, and to be honest, the situation was always a damn sight worse than people openly talked about. Up here, being such a small community, every pleb stands out a mile.

Take Wick for example, population 7-8,000. Put a dozen specimens of pondlife in a community that size and they're bound to stand out! Ye Gods, this is the County town! The village I was brought up in England had a population of 5,000:eek:!! And a damn site more troublemakers than Wick.

Regarding idiot drivers - up here they're the exception, not the rule. The A9 incident wouldn't raise an eyebrow in England as it happens all the time.

Going back on thread, communities policed by the community is the way forward, not calling the coppers out to every kid that needs a rollicking.

Welcomefamily
20-Oct-07, 12:29
[quote=Mister Squiggle;285681]Actually, Percy, your post reminded me of a Jeremy Vine story this week (Monday I think). I missed the name of the man talking, but it was based around youth depression and crime in the UK (one of those "Why are our children so messed up?" stories).
He gave an amazing set of statistics on teenage activity. In Scotland, 65% of teenagers surveyed said they would spend "most evenings" in their week outside on the street with their friends, rather than at home with parents. In France, that statistic was 17%. In England, only something like 15% (if I recall correctly) of teenagers ate dinner with their parents. In Italy? 80%
What the speaker was getting at, and given that some of his stats might be a little out, or weighted, was that it is more culturally acceptable for teenagers in France and Italy to spend the bulk of their out-of-school time within the family unit, or with extended family adults and friends. Here, it is more the norm that younger people go out more just with their peers and miss out on quality communication and time with older people.

My wife and I have always insisted that we all have dinner together except in rare circumstances, no one leaves the table until every has finished and during that time we general talk about what has happened during the day, how school or college was? what they would be doing if they are going out? and where? We always have a period where at the week end we all get together to play Monopoly or some thing for about 1 to 2 hours, no computers or TV just social interactions across the table. When they were younger we also had a reading time, two periods of an hour during the week during which time every body would read , myself, my wife and the kids. Just like adults, children have to learn the rules of social communication, when they can comunicate they develop self esteem and some respect.