PDA

View Full Version : rubbish on the Caithness A9

exothermic
19-Aug-05, 15:08
Why do people dump bottles of "yellow liquid" out their car windows?
Why do they dump their drink cans, chip papers and sweetie wrappers?
Why do they bag up all their rubbish and still dump it out the window?
and why is it not picked up?
The streets of our towns are sweeped and have their litter removed, but not our beautiful countryside.
I don't' understand the attitude of "thow rubbish out car window and forget it" or that the verges are cut, but not cleared of any paper,cans, bottles etc. What a great message for visitors. [mad]

Rheghead
19-Aug-05, 16:11
People do this because they don't care or aren't proud of the country in which they live.

And yet we see much patriotism on the football field or in the hazy late night boozing dens.

Bit of the auld hypocracy me thinks.

garycs
19-Aug-05, 16:45
I currently live next to a main road in Cumbria and can assure you that the problem of rubbish on the verge is not limited to the A9. I collect the cans, bottles, crisp packets, etc from our garden as well as that on the verge neighbouring our land and can generally reckon to fill a bin liner every month [mad]

stekar
19-Aug-05, 23:13
[mad] People chucking rubbish out of car windows really annoys me. Where I live at the moment, there is lots of rubbish next to the roads, a favourite 'rubbish bin' is at some nearby traffic lights.

Unfortunatley kids also think nothing about chucking sweet and crisps packets on the ground, and I frequently see kids do this while with their parents who just let them do it [mad] But the kids are only following the example of their parents :eyes I dared to tell some of my neighbours kids off a while ago about throwing sweets on the ground, and was subjected to knocks on the door, bell ringing and stones thrown at the windows shortly afterwards. No prizes for guessing who it was!

Lots of people just don't care these days, which I personally think is awful.

At least in Caithness the problem is not a bad as other parts of the country......yet. Hope it never is either.

davem
20-Aug-05, 10:16
I told this little lad that he'd dropped his lolly wrapper. He looked confused....I said ..so you could pick it up!.... he stopped looking confused," it's OK I don't need it anymore"
It did get to the bin finally but maybe messages don't get across as they used to.

exothermic
20-Aug-05, 16:08
I knew it wasn't just me! :D

I cannot ever bring myself to knowingly drop litter. If a till receipt gets dropped when loading up the car, I still pick it up, its second nature! :eek:

I agree that to a lot of people, their behaviour is "normal". I've even seem them outside shops, stand by the rubbish bin and either discard a sweet wrapper onto the ground or open a packet of cigarettes and drop the cellophane. It just doesn't figure with them.

Brave person to tackle anyone about antisocial behaviour, even on such a minor scale!

Lavenderblue2
20-Aug-05, 22:07
Talking of people dropping litter, I visited the newly refurbished Ormlie shop this week and what a smart, well stocked shop it is now. The young fellow who served me at the checkout was very polite and friendly too but I have never seen such a filthy mess as there was outside the shop. Surely it would be in their interest to sweep up that mess every morning and come to that every night too. The Indian take away shop should also help with this task.

Just a thought - LB

Mr P Cannop
21-Aug-05, 07:43
hi lb good idea