PDA

View Full Version : Does Nobody Stop For Road Accidents Anymore?

ashaw1
18-Oct-07, 12:46
I was unfortnate enough to be involved in a road accident yesterday afternoon a few miles north of Brora. It was just me and my 14 month old son in the car when an idiot in a white van couldn't quite make it past a HGV in time so he decided to hit me instead. The car was quite badly damaged and myself and young son were slightly shaken but luckily ok ( not so good for my car). I was totally shocked at the number of cars that witnessed the accident but didn't bother stopping.

The extent of the accident was obvious by the debris on the road, the HGV and 4 cars behind it all witnessed the accident but carried on regardless. I got out of the car fairly quickly and my son in his car seat was noticeable to anyone who passed the car( i was northbound and they were southbound). Luckily a nice gentleman in a 07 BMW who passed me after the accident stopped to help and another helpful chap in a work van helped me prise my door open. I owe so much to these 2 gentleman but unfortunately didn't get their details.

The driver of the white van who caused the accident didn't even stop although his van was also damaged. He went on to hit another few cars and an HGV before crashing off the road south of Brora. He was seen running away from the van but was later caught by a nice police dog with big teeth. Hopefully he has the bite marks on his rear end to prove it!

I know you have to be careful who you help nowadays but if you can't stop to help a young woman with a baby after a road accident what is the world coming to?

telfordstar
18-Oct-07, 12:59
I was unfortnate enough to be involved in a road accident yesterday afternoon a few miles north of Brora. It was just me and my 14 month old son in the car when an idiot in a white van couldn't quite make it past a HGV in time so he decided to hit me instead. The car was quite badly damaged and myself and young son were slightly shaken but luckily ok ( not so good for my car). I was totally shocked at the number of cars that witnessed the accident but didn't bother stopping.

The extent of the accident was obvious by the debris on the road, the HGV and 4 cars behind it all witnessed the accident but carried on regardless. I got out of the car fairly quickly and my son in his car seat was noticeable to anyone who passed the car( i was northbound and they were southbound). Luckily a nice gentleman in a 07 BMW who passed me after the accident stopped to help and another helpful chap in a work van helped me prise my door open. I owe so much to these 2 gentleman but unfortunately didn't get their details.

The driver of the white van who caused the accident didn't even stop although his van was also damaged. He went on to hit another few cars and an HGV before crashing off the road south of Brora. He was seen running away from the van but was later caught by a nice police dog with big teeth. Hopefully he has the bite marks on his rear end to prove it!

I know you have to be careful who you help nowadays but if you can't stop to help a young woman with a baby after a road accident what is the world coming to?

That is terrible news to hear what has happened to you but great news that you and your son escaped unhurt.

How people can sleep at night after witnessing an accident especially with a young child is involved and them not stopping is beyond me.

Even if it was a simple offer of a mobile phone food etc it all helps

I could rant on for ages but better not

so gald to hear your ok:)

Hibeechick
18-Oct-07, 13:03
Gosh Adelle, Glad you and your son are both ok.

I would never dream of passing an accident and not stopping to help!

Slightly off topic, I was involved in an accident once, the street was closed off for a while and even though there were police signs up people still felt the need to drive through the street just to be nosey and to see what had happened!

Ash
18-Oct-07, 13:05
ashaw1 thats awful, some people have no thought for others

soo glad u and ur son are ok

xxx:D

Lolabelle
18-Oct-07, 13:10
I'm glad to hear you and your son are not hurt.
I can't understand people driving past you. When I had an accident a few years ago, so many people stopped to help it was almost ridiculous. Like rent a crowd. I am glad that Australians are still willing to help.

jings00
18-Oct-07, 15:45
glad you are both okay, seems like everyone is into "me me me me" and don't care about anyone else. sad isn't it.

nanoo
18-Oct-07, 16:04
I'm really glad to hear that you and you son are okay, just think, you will be able to relate the story in years to come, of the day you had TWO knights in shining armour, come to your rescue. As for the nice police dog with big teeth, I hope he had a touch of Rabies at the time te he.;)

johno
18-Oct-07, 17:50
hi, I'm glad that you and your family and all others concerned are well.
i read about this idiot in today,s newspaper, obviously this guy has no respect for his own life. but no one should toy with the lives of other innocent law abiding motorists who are simply going about their businesses
conveying their families from a to b. They have the driver in custody and i hope that the courts deal with this head case with all the severity they can impose. disgusted. [disgust]

George Brims
18-Oct-07, 18:10
My wife and I like to go up to the mountains behind Los Angeles on our weekends, where like back home the local paper is a weekly and most people know each other. There was a letter in the Mountain News last winter from the parents of a girl who slid on ice in the early morning, hitting first the crash barrier and then the rock wall on the uphill side of the road, and her car flipped onto its roof. She unbuckled and crawled out, unhurt except for bruises, but she had lost her shoes in the process. The first driver that came along just passed right by a scared 19 year old, barefoot on an ice-covered road at 5:30 in the morning, and standing by an inverted car. The next person was a lot more help. The letter thanked her by name and gave a very clear description of the other guy's car, so a lot of people probably knew who he was. Name and shame I say (and of course say Thank You).

Julia
18-Oct-07, 19:00
That's terrible Adelle, I'm really glad to hear you and your wee boy were unhurt!

It's a sad state of affairs that nobody stopped to help sooner [evil], lets hope the driver gets the book thrown at him!

I was a passenger in an accident on the A9 near Alness, I think about 18 years ago, our car was obviously in bits all over the road and the amount of drivers who just kept going was unbelievable, eventually a couple stopped to assist and they went for help (pre mobile phones).

Personally I would never drive past an accident or someone in obvious need.

emszxr
18-Oct-07, 19:50
glad you and your baby are ok. i seen the van getting searched yesterday and another vehicle stopped in golspie.

its terrible what people turn their eyes away from.

*Martin*
18-Oct-07, 21:10
I'm really glad you and your wee boy are OK. I can't believe people passed you! Makes you worry about the world your living in! Glad they managed to catch the scum that caused it. For your sake I hope he was insured! I hope your OK - it can be quite traumatic getting back in a car after a crash.

I was in a crash last year and I was fortunate in the sense that the 1st guy to come across the scene got out and kept me calm by chatting away to me (I was upside down at the time :)) unfortunately I don't know who he is or where he comes from. His name was Martin and I think he was in the army. Really would like the chance to say thanks some time.

karia
18-Oct-07, 21:19
[/quote]Personally I would never drive past an accident or someone in obvious need.[/quote]

In am sure that goes for all of us here and horrified to think that people could even consider not stopping to assist.

What possible appointment could you be 'racing' toward that is more important than responding to such basic humanitarianism?

karia

Thumper
18-Oct-07, 22:22
I'm afraid that a lot of people just don't care!Most probably said to themselves "oh well she's ok and the police are probably on the way so I don't need to stop"...sad but true!I am glad you are both ok though!Funny how people can stick their noses in where they aren't wanted but when it comes to somebody needing help they are so quick to turn the other way isn't it?[disgust] x

anneoctober
18-Oct-07, 22:32
I'm afraid that a lot of people just don't care!Most probably said to themselves "oh well she's ok and the police are probably on the way so I don't need to stop"...sad but true!I am glad you are both ok though!Funny how people can stick their noses in where they aren't wanted but when it comes to somebody needing help they are so quick to turn the other way isn't it?[disgust] x
Eloquently put Thumper ! Poor wee mannie must have been terrified and mum too. True gents came to the rescue, not many of them around these days either .:(

Thumper
18-Oct-07, 22:38
[quote=anneoctober;285065]Eloquently put Thumper ! Poor wee mannie must have been terrified and mum too. True gents came to the rescue, not many of them around these days either ./quote]
Why thank you so much Anne how very nice of you to say that :D It's true what you say about the true gents too...I have looked for years and haven't found one yet [lol]....oh well I can always hope though x

Anne x
18-Oct-07, 22:51
I just hope you are okay I would never pass or come upon a accident and not stop a long time ago on the old low road not the struie at Edderton a Stag hit my car a new beetle all I could see was the beasts eyes but the car was a mess lots of people came out and helped both me and the animal I have never forgotten it

ashaw1
19-Oct-07, 09:55
Thanks for the support guys! Wasn't sure if i was just being over sensitive at the time. Still waiting to hear if the idiot was even insured, if not myself and a few other drivers will be severely out of pocket.

sms
19-Oct-07, 10:03
Ur certainly not being over sensitive, my sister crashed her car last year at mid clyth, the car was in a bad way and luckily she escaped it with just broken fingers and very shaken but again people drove past knowing fine what happened. She knew the man who stopped to help her and gave him a box o choc to say thanks as she was very grateful to him.

Thumper
19-Oct-07, 16:10
Ashaw was that the guy who ran you off the road that was in the P&J today?In court in Dingwall?Hopefully he will get the punishment he deserves for such a cowardly act x

ashaw1
19-Oct-07, 19:11
I don't know if it was or not, i haven't heard anything. Was kind of hoping for my day in court to tell him exactly what i thought of him. Me and a few others.

Blazing Sporrans
19-Oct-07, 19:45
Thanks for the support guys! Wasn't sure if i was just being over sensitive at the time. Still waiting to hear if the idiot was even insured, if not myself and a few other drivers will be severely out of pocket.
Try this link to the MIB (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.mib.org.uk/Default.htm) site (Motor Insurers Bureau) as they can provide some compensation for uninsured losses. Glad to hear you and your wee fella are fine though and hope this idiot sees the inside of a 8' x 10' room for a long time to come...

lady penelope
20-Oct-07, 21:39
Thank goodness you and the wee fellow are okay.

It's terrible that no one stopped to help, but unfortunately everyone is always in a hurry on that road!

So glad the driver was caught. Maybe this will make other overtakers will stop and think before they take risks. It's not only their lives they are risking.

Welcomefamily
20-Oct-07, 22:15
I am pleased you are both OK, I dont understand why people did not stop, there is no excuse.