PDA

View Full Version : And it's disaster for Scotland

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Oct-07, 20:25
A familiar phrase not heard in quite some time. The referee, denying Scotland a stonewall penalty, may be the difference between us qualifying or not. The Italians only need to draw when they come to Hampden, whereas Scotland need to win. I expect a masterful display in theatrics and cheating when the Italians come to Glasgow.

On a more positive note, England got slapped tonight. Their future, unlike ours, however, is no longer in their hands.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Oct-07, 20:29
A familiar phrase not heard in quite some time. The referee, denying Scotland a stonewall penalty, may be the difference between us qualifying or not. The Italians only need to draw when they come to Hampden, whereas Scotland need to win. I expect a masterful display in theatrics and cheating when the Italians come to Glasgow.

On a more positive note, England got slapped tonight. Their future, unlike ours, however, is no longer in their hands.

Bring the Italians on to Glasgow.Cos they are gonnae see wot Scotland people are aw aboot.And as ye say Pepsi for once in ma days the English rely on other peoples results......Scotland beat Italy and we'll all become Skiiers:lol::lol:

elamanya
17-Oct-07, 20:36
well it had to happen , been punching above our weight for a few games now .. back to earth with a bang ... hey lets blame the strip ... at least i had a few quid on russia....

Jeemag_USA
17-Oct-07, 20:37
I feel really bad for the squad, they have worked so hard, not making excuses for them, some very key players were missing, especially Brown who not only helps defensively he is a driving force in midfield. But its over, no point dwelling on that one, its bad.

Scotland wouldn't be Scotland unless we had to win our last game to qualify. The fairy tale can still come true. if we have a fully fit squad we already know we can do it, they have to not let this affect their confidence as a team.

Keep smiling :D

George Brims
17-Oct-07, 20:41
Playing Italy, it may come down to the choice of referee, and how play-acting is interpreted. Sadly, most refs seem to be very gullible people.

percy toboggan
17-Oct-07, 20:41
well it had to happen , been punching above our weight for a few games now .. back to earth with a bang ... hey lets blame the strip ... at least i had a few quid on russia....

Only a few? Yee of little faith.
Perce
English 'til I die, I suppose.

p.s. Disaster ? no way ... just a hiccup.Looks like England might be sunk though. Never mind. There's allways the rugby.

horseman
17-Oct-07, 20:46
Nonsence-a hat full o penaltys could not have changed an inability to find the net!
Very poor playing where was the spirit that floored the french?
Bring that on again an italy will fall to:roll:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Oct-07, 20:57
Do as they always do.The Tartan Army meet up wi yer comrades from the other hotels in Glasgow.After one pint ye re the same that ye were in Iceland or New Zealand.Scotland is what its aw aboot.We used to be a team that would beat San Marino or Georgia 3-0.No more,We now tan the big teams and get beat by the minnows.Italy come to Hampden,cos yer asses are on oor plate!!!!!........FACT!!

j4bberw0ck
17-Oct-07, 20:58
On a more positive note, England got slapped tonight

The local football team with whom I watched the Scotland - Georgia match took my cheering for Georgia (anybody but Scotland :lol:) in good part :lol:. It made for a banter-filled evening that would have appalled the Race Relations people. Scotland were awful, though. I get to cheer for a great team next - buongiorno, mi amici!

Jeemag_USA
17-Oct-07, 21:01

For your scenario to be correct France have to beat Lithuania, but France are still 0-0 with Lithuania at half time. If the Jambos can keep it up for another 45 minutes then we only need to draw with Italy in the last game :Razz

here's hopin' anyway [lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Oct-07, 21:20
There is a scenario.Italy has to beat Scotland at Hampden.With 50,000 Scots wafflin in yer ear.Are ye up for it Lucianno.......thought nought.Austria here we come.THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND AW FITBAW!!!:lol::lol:

golach
17-Oct-07, 21:41
It was the colour o the shirt that did us in

jambo
17-Oct-07, 21:44
france now 1-0 up henry.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Oct-07, 21:54
It was always going to come down to this game at Hampden,are ye up for it Italia.Cos we are??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BRING IT ON!!!![lol][lol]

scorrie
17-Oct-07, 22:17
Playing Italy, it may come down to the choice of referee, and how play-acting is interpreted. Sadly, most refs seem to be very gullible people.

Ahh, the good old Scottish paranoia surfaces, even before a ball is kicked. I just wonder how Italy managed to "cheat" their way to FOUR World Cup wins, while Scotland sits and blames everyone else for not "playing the White Man". I would think that, if we are to look at the Psyche of nations, it would be advisable to take a long, hard look in the mirror first.

ps I heard a rumour that Andy (Ally's Tartan Army) Cameron has tentatively been pencilled in to referee the crucial fixture. How long before the "closet Rangers supporter" allegations start to fly?

Jeemag_USA
17-Oct-07, 22:31
If France draw to the Scumbos and the Ukraine, then we'll be through regardless of the result between Italy and ourselves.

I forgot France had to go to Ukraine, I have not been looking at the final day of games because Scotland are not playing in it, that could be a good one for us, Ukraine will be up for beating France in front of their home crowd!

Hibeechick
18-Oct-07, 11:05
What was with that referee??

Stone waller against McFadden and possibly one for Maloney too! Not just the penalty shouts, but the players standing over the ball before free kicks( was decided that if players of opposing team stood over the ball for free kicks and didn't move back then they would be booked and it was only to hold the game up!), and what about that player that pushed Weir in the box?

Definitely missed Broony in midfield. Fletcher wasn't match fit in my opinion. Not a personal fan of Pearson but don't think he should have been subbed.

But what can you do! Just wasn't out night! Couldn't get past their midfield/defence. They always had 2 men onto our one. We just couldn't move!

The Italians definitely have a game on their hands. At Hampden with the tartan army...

" When you hear the noise of the Tartan army boys, we'll be coming down the road!"

'Mon the scots!

( p.s also half blame the strip... if it aint broke DONT fix it! )

x

Jeid
18-Oct-07, 12:35
I blame the maroon jerseys.

Anyway, Italy have never won at Hampden apparently, so we're in with a chance... we were only 12mins away last time.

peter macdonald
18-Oct-07, 13:20
"The local football team with whom I watched the Scotland - Georgia match took my cheering for Georgia (anybody but Scotland ) in good part . It made for a banter-filled evening that would have appalled the Race Relations people. Scotland were awful, though. I get to cheer for a great team next - buongiorno, mi amici!"

Jwok you would even cheer for "crossways" at a Ba if you could get an arguement going :-)))

jambo
18-Oct-07, 13:27
next u will be blaming no hibs players in the scotland team.

Hibeechick
18-Oct-07, 13:33

Theyre all in the Scotland under 21's lol. ;)

candyfloss
18-Oct-07, 16:20
Don't understand why they were wearing that colours last night maybe the blue ones were still in the wash. :eek:
I still think we can do it though, Scotland never do things the easy way :roll:

percy toboggan
18-Oct-07, 17:10
Don't understand why they were wearing that colours last night maybe the blue ones were still in the wash. :eek:
I still think we can do it though, Scotland never do things the easy way :roll:

True, the blue shirt would have been better. Maybe they thought they sell a few thousand claret/maroonish ones after a triumphant night.
Back to the drawing board.

(I liked the colour - reminds me of Manchester City's glory days)

scorrie
18-Oct-07, 17:35
Anyway, Italy have never won at Hampden apparently, so we're in with a chance...

This is very true. Sadly it isn't a very reliable barometer. Scotland have only played Italy at Hampden on TWO occasions. 1-1 draw in 2005 and a 1-0 Scotland win in 1965. If you want to turn that stat on its head, Scotland haven't beaten Italy at Hampden for over 40 years!!

Bookies odds on Scotland making it through are around 9/4 against with a quote of 2/7 that they won't get there. Despite England's fate being out of their own hands, they are rated a slightly better bet to get there, with odds of 2/1 against, and only 1/3 not to make it.

To demonstrate the difference in the chances of making it or not, let us imagine a £10 bet on both teams to qualify and both teams to fail to qualify.

If you place a £10 on both to qualify and they are successful, you would win £97.50

The same bet on both to fail to qualify would pay a mere £17.14

Both returns include your £10 stake.

Anne x
18-Oct-07, 19:13
I personally did not like the new strip but wasn't it just for that one game ?
too much like that oH !!! the other team in Edinburgh !!!

Good luck against Italy though hope they will be wearing there Blue

golach
18-Oct-07, 19:30
Were there any Jambos playing for Scotland?......Oh no, they are mostly Lithuanians [lol]