PDA

View Full Version : Caravan storage

wicker05
17-Oct-07, 14:41
Looking for somewhere to store my caravan over the winter. Large shed or farm building. Anyone able to help?

Royster1911
17-Oct-07, 14:46
You and the rest of us. This thread apears every year but to my knowlege, we have not been able to find anyone who will store a caravan for us. A lot of it has to do with insurance for the barn etc. Hope you have some luck in finding a place for it though:~(

philupmaboug
17-Oct-07, 17:00
Do they not store caravans in the old disused hangers at the airport? if not, why not? it would be a good way to use this space or is it insurance reasons as suggested?

Lavenderblue2
17-Oct-07, 17:08
Why doesn't the owners insurance cover it for storage?

Luckily we have our own storage for now but thank goodness ours was insured as it was quite badly damaged in last Octobers storm.

LB

Royster1911
17-Oct-07, 19:13
Why doesn't the owners insurance cover it for storage?

Luckily we have our own storage for now but thank goodness ours was insured as it was quite badly damaged in last Octobers storm.

LB
The owners cover would be for what he would store in it. For example, bails of hay or tractors. If you add a few caravans his insurance would be null and void should he have a fire or whatever. The owner of the barn would have to decide to either use the barn for his own use or to run it as a seperate business. Thinking that each caravan stored could be worth as much or more than a new car, the claims on insurance would be out of this world. That is my opinion. I do not work in the insurance industry so if you know better, please tell us.

Lavenderblue2
17-Oct-07, 22:18
The owners cover would be for what he would store in it. For example, bails of hay or tractors. If you add a few caravans his insurance would be null and void should he have a fire or whatever. The owner of the barn would have to decide to either use the barn for his own use or to run it as a seperate business. Thinking that each caravan stored could be worth as much or more than a new car, the claims on insurance would be out of this world. That is my opinion. I do not work in the insurance industry so if you know better, please tell us.

I think we may have our lines crossed Royster1911 - maybe I was speaking in riddles too:
What I meant was - wouldn't the caravan insurance cover any risk when storing in someone elses barn etc.
I know nothing about insurance - maybe I'm quite wrong.:confused
Our caravan was still standing out when it was badly damaged last October.

LB

sharon
17-Oct-07, 23:09
i asked the same question a couple of months ago! got a nice pm

Ask Ronaldsons at Westerseat if you are in Wick - they have the hangar at Wick Airport which they used to allow people to store caravans, so it is worth a refusal or they may be able to put you in touch with someone who can store. Also try hauliers as they have lots of space, one little corner does not go amiss and some of them have caravans too.
Ask at Quoybrae if they know of anyone too - they know all the farmers and folk with storage or you could try asking on here for storage in wanted ads, if not last try would be advert in Groat or courier - does not really matter where it is stored as once it is away you will not be using it again until the spring at the earliest. Other thought is to put an advert on Dounreay noticeboard, Somerfield, Co-op and Tescos.
what about wick camping site do they offer winter outdoor storage?
blackrock camping site do winter storage its a sheltered spot!

decided to keep ours in the garden this year as i cant be bothered changing the details on the insurance and risk of the premium going up!! :roll:

Penelope Pitstop
12-Nov-07, 12:35
Reading through some of the old threads here!!

Thought I would mention that someone was advertising in last weeks Caithness Courier offering indoor caravan storage in Thurso area.