PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Greener Living

Julia
16-Oct-07, 21:15
Tesco state that 'we are on track to achieve our target to reduce the number of bags we issue by 25% by 2008, and by the end of October 2007 we will see a total of a billion bags saved by customers since starting the Green Clubcard Points scheme in August 2006'.

http://www.tesco.com/greenerliving/what_tesco_is_doing/carrier_bags/default.page?#L2

While in Tesco today I spent under £7, a member of staff packed my shopping for me using no less than four carrier bags over and above my own reusable Tesco's bag. I unpacked the carrier bags and easily fitted everything into my own bag. The bags I unpacked had a maximum of three small items in each. What is the point of me taking my own bag shopping if the staff don't utilise it?

karia
16-Oct-07, 21:32
Hi julia,

If they were seperating cooked and uncooked meat and frozen/non frozen items then I am in agreement with them..however I suspect that was probably not the case ..what was put in each bag?

Karia

helenwyler
16-Oct-07, 21:36
Hey Julia!

You've touched a nerve close to my heart!

I'm staggered at the amount of plastic carrier bags from supermarkets we send to landfills in Britain, even if people do say they 're-use' them in various ways:confused!!!

I was in France recently, and many supermarkets charge about 10p per carrier bag...so the vast majority of shoppers (from what I saw) bring their own re-usable bags, needless to say. We're so far behind.

I rarely see shoppers in my local supermarket bring their own bags. Most people down here just have no idea about how this plastic is supposed to be 'disposed' of, and it makes me cross to see them blithely pulling bags off the dispenser...just start charging people, like in France...that's the only way!

Mind you, I get doubly cross when I forget to bring my own re-usable bags, and have to blithely pull them off the dispenser[evil]!!

Helen

karia
16-Oct-07, 21:42
tesco make a big thing of giving 'green' clubcard points if you bring your own bags....the 'policy' doesn't seem to filter down to much of an 'actuality' though!

Thumper
16-Oct-07, 21:45
Karia, on the separating cooked and raw issue...pity the home delivery didn't do that, I got raw chicken and roast ham in the same bag last week!needless to say i said thank you but take it back :eek: x

Julia
16-Oct-07, 21:48
Hi julia,

If they were seperating cooked and uncooked meat and frozen/non frozen items then I am in agreement with them..however I suspect that was probably not the case ..what was put in each bag?

Karia

One bag had a can of impulse and a wee craft set in it, the other had a pack of two muffins, a wee bag of 4 cookies and small naan bread. No reason really why it all could not be packed together, not like the impulse can smells

helenwyler
16-Oct-07, 21:50
Hi karia!

I think penalties (i.e.charging) might work better than minimal 'points', so ludicrously small they might seem derisory:eek: ?

karia
16-Oct-07, 21:51
Karia, on the separating cooked and raw issue...pity the home delivery didn't do that, I got raw chicken and roast ham in the same bag last week!needless to say i said thank you but take it back :eek: x

Quite right Thumper!

Did you receive an apology?

Or was your reward just not to spend the week in the loo?:roll:

Shocking practice.

K

Julia
16-Oct-07, 21:58
Hey Julia!

You've touched a nerve close to my heart!

I'm staggered at the amount of plastic carrier bags from supermarkets we send to landfills in Britain, even if people do say they 're-use' them in various ways:confused!!!

I was in France recently, and many supermarkets charge about 10p per carrier bag...so the vast majority of shoppers (from what I saw) bring their own re-usable bags, needless to say. We're so far behind. the dispenser...just start charging people, like in France...that's the only way!

Helen

As you probably know Lidl charge for bags, I think in all the time they have been open in Wick I have only ever bought one bag, it does not take much effort to reuse bags or better still buy 'a bag for life', what's 10p. I'm also concerned about the effect discarded bags can have on wildlife small animals can become trapped and suffocate in them or get entangled in the handles.

karia
I reckon it was one bag for foodstuffs, one for everything else.

Which has its merits I guess, you don't want anything dripping onto your paperback or new socks![lol]

Karia

Thumper
I must admit the delivery guy seemed a bit annoyed as to why I was returning the goods, but I told him that both were in 1 bag and I didn't fancy doing the "midnight run" [lol] so he took it back,haven't checked the old bank statement yet to see if I was charged for it though................x

helenwyler
16-Oct-07, 22:13
Hi Julia:)...didn't know about Lidl charging for bags...we don't have one near us, so....

Sainsbury's Tesco's and Waitrose don't charge for bags, and my blood boils when I watch people putting maybe £150 worth of shopping into maybe 10 bags!

Helen

karia
16-Oct-07, 22:18
Hi Julia.didn't know about Lidl charging for bags...we don't have one near us, so....

Sainsbury's Tesco's and Waitrose don't charge for bags, and my blood boils when I watch people putting maybe £150 worth of shopping into maybe 10 bags!

Helen

Oh Helen, no Lidl!:(

Commiserations, make a list..will send!

(International sausage smuggling makes a well deserved come- back!;))

karia

Thumper
16-Oct-07, 22:23
Oh Helen, no Lidl!

Commiserations, make a list..will send!

(International sausage smuggling makes a well deserved come- back!

karia
:eek: :eek:where do you put them??????????? xxxx

karia
16-Oct-07, 22:28
we would tell you ..but we'd have to kill you!

It is a long story but Helen was nice enough to send me some saucissons from her recent French trip..that's the kind of smashing girl she is!

Postman tried to shove them through the letterbox!:eek:

If I had wanted flat sausage I'd have looked for Lorne..do you see what I did there..forlorn![lol]

kariax

Thumper
16-Oct-07, 22:32
we would tell you ..but we'd have to kill you!

It is a long story but Helen was nice enough to send me some saucissons from her recent French trip..that's the kind of smashing girl she is!

Postman tried to shove them through the letterbox!

If I had wanted flat sausage I'd have looked for Lorne..do you see what I did there..forlorn!

kariax
*thumper falls off her seat helpless at this point*:eek:[lol] x

helenwyler
16-Oct-07, 22:35
My God karia:eek:

You've just outed me as an international saucisson smuggler!

It might be more lucrative than teaching..but less enjoyable[lol]!

helen

Thumper
16-Oct-07, 22:38
Don't worry helen!I know you ain't that kinda girl.Karia you should have said you needed stuff from france,my ex just came back from there and I am sure he wouldn't have minded an extra sausage in a strange place :eek: lmao xx

karia
16-Oct-07, 22:42
My God karia

You've just outed me as an international saucisson smuggler!

It might be more lucrative than teaching..but less enjoyable!

helen

What? It wasn't fun?

It was for me...wild boar anyone?;)

Sorry helen..:(!

Does this mean no bedtime story?

...?

Kariax

bobsgirl
16-Oct-07, 22:45
tesco make a big thing of giving 'green' clubcard points if you bring your own bags....the 'policy' doesn't seem to filter down to much of an 'actuality' though!

I have on several occasions taking my own bags to tesco or even some collapsable boxes and have yet to see these 'green' clubcard points, so I say what is the point. I now still use carrier bags when I get to the checkout, I do not bin them but keep them for recycle.

I say that Lidl has the right thing in making you pay for your bag as you are less likely just to bin it and more likely to remember to take your own if you dont want to pay for them.

karia
16-Oct-07, 22:48
[quote=bobsgirl;284288]I have on several occasions taking my own bags to tesco or even some collapsable boxes and have yet to see these 'green' clubcard points, so I say what is the point.

Hear hear!

Our experience exactly!

Karia

helenwyler
16-Oct-07, 23:25
Aye karia and Thumper....

Ach well, better a slightly flattened French saucisson than nothing at all no?;)
I hear they can be revived by the application of warmth and gentle 'sculpting'... but have never tried it myself;)!

karia
16-Oct-07, 23:32
Aye karia and Thumper....

Ach well, better a slightly flattened French saucisson than nothing at all no?
I hear they can be revived by the application of warmth and gentle 'sculpting'... but have never tried it myself!

It would have taken more than that to revive the Postie when I was through with him![lol]

I could've made mincemeat of him!;)

(my ex husband is a postman though..so I could be a little biased!)

karia

wifie
16-Oct-07, 23:33
Oh no not another carrier bag thread - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! I can't stop myself I have to post. (No offence Julia!) It is so simple to take your own box or bags for shopping. It looks like charging might be the only option after all.
PS If they don't give you the green points at the till ask at the information desk - yes it is a pain but it is the principal!

helenwyler
16-Oct-07, 23:40
Oh Julia:eek:!!

You'll be in your dotage before you can stop posting on carrier bag!!

Strength to you:)..and I'll be running fast behing you!

Helen

wifie
16-Oct-07, 23:47
LOL hw! Death to the dreaded plastic carrier!

Anne x
16-Oct-07, 23:47
bought a tesco bag and guess what it broke the handles snapped bought a M&S bag and leave it in hall forget to take it to my car or else in hubbie car So tried to help whatever Im supposed to be helping !!!
was only once ever in Lidl and that was enough !!! paid my money for bag and ran

gathered green points from Tesco but what do they actually mean !!!

wifie
16-Oct-07, 23:56
Thank goodness Anne someone who wasn't impressed by Lidl! Get a decent cloot type bag for the boot of each car - problem solved! Green points on your till receipt mean you got the one checkout operator who remembers to give them out - he he!

Anne x
16-Oct-07, 23:58
I hated Lidl !!! everything about it

Julia
17-Oct-07, 14:26
I hated Lidl !!! everything about it

I have a wee look in there now and again, mainly to check out the 'crap' aisle as I call it, you know the one with the ever-changing offers.

karia
17-Oct-07, 14:38
Hi Anne and Julia,

I agree that it is not the most esoteric of shopping experiences but their, (and Aldi's ) range of continental meats and cheeses, interesting salads, pickles and really surprisingly good wines are worth braving the 'Cash & Carry' atmosphere for.

And then there are the infamous 'mini stollens'!:D ...Sigh!

Karia

ber219
17-Oct-07, 15:32
I agree with you Karia. The selection of foods at Lidl are very different from Tesco etc and it does give you a choice to sample other European delights. Many see Lidls as a poor persons shop but I use it regulary, they have many named products (Heinz, HP etc) and much much cheaper prices that Tesco and the offers they have are brilliant (5 cans of Pepsi for £1, 3 Baxters Soup for £1).

Lidls is another option, No worse nor better than other supermarkets!

Anne x
17-Oct-07, 20:41
Hi Anne and Julia,

I agree that it is not the most esoteric of shopping experiences but their, (and Aldi's ) range of continental meats and cheeses, interesting salads, pickles and really surprisingly good wines are worth braving the 'Cash & Carry' atmosphere for.

And then there are the infamous 'mini stollens'!:D ...Sigh!

Karia

Ok will give it another go just the once mind
Ax

scorrie
17-Oct-07, 22:30
If I had wanted flat sausage I'd have looked for Lorne..do you see what I did there..forlorn![lol]

kariax

Nice one. Reminds me of the time I caught a program called Cash In The Attic, presented by Lorne Spicer. I had visions of her working on the seasoning section of a sausage factory. She went on to marry Roger Moore and become Lorne Moore but I see no reason to Hayter for that.

karia
17-Oct-07, 22:55
Nice one. Reminds me of the time I caught a program called Cash In The Attic, presented by Lorne Spicer. I had visions of her working on the seasoning section of a sausage factory. She went on to marry Roger Moore and become Lorne Moore but I see no reason to Hayter for that.

daytimetellywilleatyourbrainbutleaveyouabletopostr ubbishthoughnottopunctuate

that's why there are so many bargains featuring mince!:)

Kariaxx

scorrie
18-Oct-07, 17:19
daytimetellywilleatyourbrainbutleaveyouabletopostr ubbishthoughnottopunctuate

that's why there are so many bargains featuring mince!:)

Kariaxx

I notice that day time TV on the BBC invariably contains squillions of "hilarious" puns and cuts to "amusingly appropriate" music at every whip and turn.

Incidentally, Lidls is fine in my opinion. There is no cheesy muzak or shiny displays but The Sugababes don't help me to shop and the food doesn't taste any different for having been picked from a lovingly buffed display unit. It is well worth checking out the chocolate to see the higher content of the important ingredients when you compare to the over-priced Cadburys muck!!

karia
18-Oct-07, 17:33
I notice that day time TV on the BBC invariably contains squillions of "hilarious" puns and cuts to "amusingly appropriate" music at every whip and turn.!

Ah yes, the thigh slapping wit involved in juxtaposing Madness singing 'Our House' with a couple looking at property......priceless isn't it!;)

karia