PDA

View Full Version : dentist

munchkin
16-Oct-07, 18:20
I have just been to the dentist through the emergency helpline. i was told that i need a root filling,and got a temp filling done only to be told this will not last long as it was only a temp.
i have been to the emergency helpline dentist 5 times in 2 years and was basically told that this is bad and i would have to arrange payment myself which i can not afford as i only work 16 hours a week.
so i phoned the helpline back to see where i was on the list as i phoned 4 months ago and was told that i was 88th to go to helmsdale only to be told today i amm now 98th ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
what do you do? can you just walk of the street into the hospital dentist the next time you have tooth ache?
any help please? do the mps up here have no way of helping? in dumfries and galloway they managed to clear 25000 people of there wailting list in 3 months so why can they not clear 4000 of up here.

Munro
16-Oct-07, 19:29
I also have been to dentist and have got to have a root filling and a crown
total cost £575. Two months ago he filled the adjacent tooth although i had no problems with it, I immediately noticed it was sensitive around that area, am wondering if he is generating work.

tahi
16-Oct-07, 20:46
I believe, from a reliable source, that you cannot go directly to the
hospital dentist. You do have to go through the dental helpline to
access any NHS dentist if you are not registered.
I sympathise with your current situation, i too am unregistered.

Welcomefamily
16-Oct-07, 21:45
We were registered with Bridgend, over two years I had more work done on my teeth than I ever had in the last 15 years. On one accasion down south as I had to go down to Devon for a meeting, I had tooth ache having only been to the dentist a few days eariler, so I called in at my old dentist who saw me under the national health system, when I left he said it was the worse dentistry he had ever seen. When we got back we moved our kids across to the National Health Service one at Wick, he said some thing very similair about our childrens teeth.
If you have children you can insist that they are seen by the National Health dentist, that way when they get to 16 they are still under the National Health service and dont have to join a scheme.
I find it amazing that the entry qualification to dentistry is still so high considering the shortage of Dentists, they should run a scheme for the Highlands and a period of retention.

EDDIE
16-Oct-07, 22:53
Your not supposed to go to the hospital dentist for little things its more for if ure in total pain with ure tooth that u go.
I used to have a private dentist and i stupidly went to a nhs dentist which was a polish lady and im totaly convinced shes not qualified either that or there standard of training is low i had root canal treatment done and got knumbed up and boy it was sore it was actually a waste time getting knumbed up and everyone i speek to that had root canal treatment done said it wasnt sore im convinced she doesnt know all the points were they stick the needle in
I have very sensitive teeth and honestly the proper sensodine toothpaste does work wonders for me anyway
If you have sore teeth u should always make out the pain is unbairable then the hospital and dentist has duty of responsibilty to see you that day?
Im also very suprised that the nanny state we live on doesnt tax or ban the junkfoods that make u fat or is bad for your teeth

Fran
17-Oct-07, 00:36
If you are on a low income you can get an HC2 form to get free dental treatment. Other social security benefits can give you free dental treatment.If you have an overactive/underactive thyroid you can get free dental treatment.
If you have a medical condition eg MS, heart condition, diabetes, kidney failure to name a few you can be seen by the hospital dentist.

dandod
17-Oct-07, 01:03
[disgust]i had a horrific experience at bridgend in wick.i was referred there by the NHS energency helpline.when i was seen by a dentist he said there was an abcess on the tooth ,he then put a filling on it and sent me home with a prescription.needless to say the pain was even more unbearable and i went a third night with nosleep. the next day my face was very swollen where the abcess was. i went to see my GP who seemed quite alarmed at the state i had been left in he gave me 3 prescriptions 2 were antibiotics and another for painkillers the next on edown from morphine!! the doctor advised me to go back to the dentist i made it very clear i would not see that man ever again!! a year or so later the pain came back so i phoned the NHS helpline who got me an appointment a bridgend in thurso with a ploish dentist (without a doubt the best dentsit the world has ever seen!!) who told me the tooth needed pulled he also advised me had the abcess been drained before i would not have lost my tooth.the point i am tring to make is that tghe local dentists seem to be in it for the money and do a halfhearted job so you willl come back however the polish dentist never sent a bill as i suspect he seen it as a job half done.

Murdina Bug
17-Oct-07, 10:46
If you are on a low income you can get an HC2 form to get free dental treatment. Other social security benefits can give you free dental treatment.If you have an overactive/underactive thyroid you can get free dental treatment.
If you have a medical condition eg MS, heart condition, diabetes, kidney failure to name a few you can be seen by the hospital dentist.

Fran, I don't think you are correct about the thyroid conditions qualifying you for free dental treatment. People with these conditions certainly qualify for free prescriptions but not dentistry. I checked the following document http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/176630/0049894.pdf which confirms this.

NickInTheNorth
17-Oct-07, 11:39

unless I am misreading the posts on this thread Fran the main issue is one of access to an NHS dentist, rather than the payment.

If you cannot access an NHS dentist then the only choice is a private one. And as far as I am aware they don't tend to do charity work just because the benefits system says you are entitled to free treatment.

ber219
17-Oct-07, 15:34
One of my friends can't afford to go private, although they can afford to go out every weekend and get drunk and they smoke too. Hmm that really does annoy me.!

jings00
17-Oct-07, 16:31
i had to cancel my subs with the bridge end dentist, just couldn't afford it. i have always looked after my teeth and like someone else says in another post, i think they just generate work to be done. they wanted five hundred snots for a crown to be replaced, as it was i paid a hundred for a temporary crown. i have also previously questioned the filling i needed as a matter of "urgency" as with regular checkups, why was this not spotted sooner? cavities don't just appear in a few weeks, and for it to be "urgent".... know wot i mean?? they couldn't answer my question though.
so now i am dentistless for the time being.

munchkin
17-Oct-07, 17:30
hi thanks for all you replys i am on a low wage i also have a card for free dental and prescriptions eye tests put this does not help with the dental part.
i am in more pain now after ive been seen,he also told me i need all my teeth root filled ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. no way i went because half my filling came out and he only replaced the half that came out instead of replacing it all (why)i suffer from infections and have been in hospital in the past as the infection got in my system was on drip 24 hrs and knocked out for it to be removed.

lady penelope
17-Oct-07, 18:25
Our family moved to Wick over a year ago. We registered with Bridgend and our kids with the Nhs dentist waiting list. I think both are great.
If you are earning then whether private or not you pay.Phoning the helpline if it's not an emergency is wrong.
My youngest son knocked his front adult tooth out last year, so I got him,all the blood! and his tooth into the car and quickly drove to A&E only to be told they couldn't treat him. He was 8 years old and in shock! The receptionist couldn't have cared less and when I asked for some milk to preserve the tooth she asked what good would that do. After a bit of persistance we were sent, blood and all, to Mr Erridge at Bridgend and he was great. He re-inserted the tooth and did not charge for the work.
So beware of turning up at the hospital when it's not a medical emergency as the dentist is not always there!

Cazaa
17-Oct-07, 20:24
Our family moved to Wick over a year ago. We registered with Bridgend and our kids with the Nhs dentist waiting list.
!

[disgust]i had a horrific experience at bridgend in wick.

Where is Bridgend in Wick?

babybunt
17-Oct-07, 20:58
Its not Bridgend in Wick, I think people are getting confused!
Its 'The Bridges' in Wick and 'Bridgend' in Thurso.

Smithy
17-Oct-07, 21:00
I am led to believe there are places for NHS patients in golspie but this is only second hand information but might be worth giving them a call.

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Oct-07, 21:22
[disgust]i had a horrific experience at bridgend in wick.i was referred there by the NHS energency helpline.when i was seen by a dentist he said there was an abcess on the tooth ,he then put a filling on it and sent me home with a prescription.needless to say the pain was even more unbearable and i went a third night with nosleep. the next day my face was very swollen where the abcess was. i went to see my GP who seemed quite alarmed at the state i had been left in he gave me 3 prescriptions 2 were antibiotics and another for painkillers the next on edown from morphine!! the doctor advised me to go back to the dentist i made it very clear i would not see that man ever again!! a year or so later the pain came back so i phoned the NHS helpline who got me an appointment a bridgend in thurso with a ploish dentist (without a doubt the best dentsit the world has ever seen!!) who told me the tooth needed pulled he also advised me had the abcess been drained before i would not have lost my tooth.the point i am tring to make is that tghe local dentists seem to be in it for the money and do a halfhearted job so you willl come back however the polish dentist never sent a bill as i suspect he seen it as a job half done.

Of course they're in it for the money. Why do you think no dentist will move to Caithness? That aside I totally sympathise with you. Tootache is one of the worst pains imaginable. You'd never think it was the 21st century, would you? I mean, how did we cope in Caithness before?

munchkin
17-Oct-07, 21:27
lady penelpoe i never phoned the helpline just for the sake of it it was an emergency i was in agony sorry to hear about your son. why do they ask if you pay for your treatment or not when you go if you have to be private or not?????????????????

porshiepoo
17-Oct-07, 21:53
I used to pay the monthly private plan at the Thurso dentist but thought it was a rip off so stopped doing it.

About 3 years ago I had to go to the emergency dentist through the NHS helpline and ended up in Wick. I explained to the nurses there how phobic I am of the dentist and that I was absolutely pooping my pants! She assured me the dentist was very patient and it would be ok.
Well I finally got into the dentist chair and watched while they racked up all the torture tools beside me - you know, Dewalt drill etc etc and then they left me there for about 3 days (well that's what the 10 mins felt like anyways) while the dentist was off doing whatever they do to psych themselves out before surgery.
Leaving a phobic person in the torture chair staring at the torture tools for 10 minutes does absolutely nothing for the nerves.
Anyways the guy eventually decided I'd suffered enough (for the time being anyway) and finally came in. I flinched a couple of times when he picked up that blinkin hook and glinted it under the light with a mad man look on his face and he went berserk at me.
He slammed his tools down ( having a paddy cos he obviously wasn't getting his rocks off with me that day) and shouted at me and said, I Quote " I suggest young lady that if you need psychotherapy that you go and get it before coming here. I have other patients outside that need seeing today also".
Well that's the way you want to talk to someone who is so phobic they'd much rather resort to Bluetack for a filling or pliers for a self extraction!

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that he did a temp filling and told me it wouldn't last long, that I needed to get a permanent done but that they wouldn't do it there. So what's the blinkin point?
I rang every dentist I could and was evenprepared to go private - nothing!
That temp filling lasted almost 2 years (Amazing how tight I can be) and eventually decided to dislodge itself this year while I was travelling down south for my nieces funeral.
Lucky for me my sis in law is a dental nurse and she got me in at her surgery that same day (much to my dismay) and the dentist was absolutely fantastic. i explained I was phobic and he was sooooo nice, a lovely man, a very lovely man. It didn't hurt at all, he had such a soothing voice and he didn't even charge me.
Problem is he only did a temp filling again and it's now starting to come away again so the dentist beckons unfortunately.
Apparantly though my bro in law says Blue tak will buy me some time so I figure chuck in some Bosun Industrial strength superglue with it and I should have a pretty tight filling. What do you reckon????

Fran
18-Oct-07, 00:45
Fran, I don't think you are correct about the thyroid conditions qualifying you for free dental treatment. People with these conditions certainly qualify for free prescriptions but not dentistry. I checked the following document http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/176630/0049894.pdf (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/176630/0049894.pdf) which confirms this.
If you have an nhs excemption certicate because you have a thyroid problem etc you do not pay dental charges and are usually seen by the hospital dentist. I read the above article and this excemption certificate was mentioned but not in detail.

dandod
18-Oct-07, 00:54
I used to pay the monthly private plan at the Thurso dentist but thought it was a rip off so stopped doing it.

About 3 years ago I had to go to the emergency dentist through the NHS helpline and ended up in Wick. I explained to the nurses there how phobic I am of the dentist and that I was absolutely pooping my pants! She assured me the dentist was very patient and it would be ok.
Well I finally got into the dentist chair and watched while they racked up all the torture tools beside me - you know, Dewalt drill etc etc and then they left me there for about 3 days (well that's what the 10 mins felt like anyways) while the dentist was off doing whatever they do to psych themselves out before surgery.
Leaving a phobic person in the torture chair staring at the torture tools for 10 minutes does absolutely nothing for the nerves.
Anyways the guy eventually decided I'd suffered enough (for the time being anyway) and finally came in. I flinched a couple of times when he picked up that blinkin hook and glinted it under the light with a mad man look on his face and he went berserk at me.
He slammed his tools down ( having a paddy cos he obviously wasn't getting his rocks off with me that day) and shouted at me and said, I Quote " I suggest young lady that if you need psychotherapy that you go and get it before coming here. I have other patients outside that need seeing today also".
Well that's the way you want to talk to someone who is so phobic they'd much rather resort to Bluetack for a filling or pliers for a self extraction!

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that he did a temp filling and told me it wouldn't last long, that I needed to get a permanent done but that they wouldn't do it there. So what's the blinkin point?
I rang every dentist I could and was evenprepared to go private - nothing!
That temp filling lasted almost 2 years (Amazing how tight I can be) and eventually decided to dislodge itself this year while I was travelling down south for my nieces funeral.
Lucky for me my sis in law is a dental nurse and she got me in at her surgery that same day (much to my dismay) and the dentist was absolutely fantastic. i explained I was phobic and he was sooooo nice, a lovely man, a very lovely man. It didn't hurt at all, he had such a soothing voice and he didn't even charge me.
Problem is he only did a temp filling again and it's now starting to come away again so the dentist beckons unfortunately.
Apparantly though my bro in law says Blue tak will buy me some time so I figure chuck in some Bosun Industrial strength superglue with it and I should have a pretty tight filling. What do you reckon????
sound like you seen the same dentist as me did he have a pair of horns and a long tail??

pirateeye
18-Oct-07, 01:14
hunt for dentists in wick.

one of my relatives needs a dentist asap for certain health issues and she saw her doctor this morning, he told her to see a dentist to which she said she isnt on a list and can't get one the doctor said about people in wick and gave her a number. this afternoon she had a phone call from the dentist or receptionist, whoever, telling her to come into wick tomorrow as she has an appointment!!
we were all shocked so maybe it's not so hard up here? i think i'm gonna try and get on one of these famous ''lists'' :)

porshiepoo
18-Oct-07, 06:12
hunt for dentists in wick.

one of my relatives needs a dentist asap for certain health issues and she saw her doctor this morning, he told her to see a dentist to which she said she isnt on a list and can't get one the doctor said about people in wick and gave her a number. this afternoon she had a phone call from the dentist or receptionist, whoever, telling her to come into wick tomorrow as she has an appointment!!
we were all shocked so maybe it's not so hard up here? i think i'm gonna try and get on one of these famous ''lists'' :)

That'll probably be the emergency number your relative rang. That's how it works. Ring before a certain time and the dentist will ring you back with an appointment usually for the same day or the next.
Problem is though they only carry out emergency treatment i.e temporary fillings or extractions. They somehow expect you to get the rest done elsewhere![evil]

Dandod, that's the very same guy! I thought his particular shade of red and the steam emmanating from him was just p[lain old anger but the fork gave it away. lol.
Man beast he was! Evil man. Evil, evil man!

telfordstar
18-Oct-07, 12:51
sound like you seen the same dentist as me did he have a pair of horns and a long tail??

That describes the dentist i had down to a very tee Ive been on the list for treatment for almost a year now and can only get something done if its through the dental hepline. Been to dentist through the helpline a few times and each time and its been crap each times im quite sure that these dentists get paid good money for the treatment they provide. a little bit of help to mke you at ease dosnt cost much and me personally if i was a dentist would like my patients to fell calm and atease with me so thier treatment didnt seem to bad. I felt i was on a conveyer belt going to my appointments about 6 of us in a room called in one at a time, numbed, sit back down, person numbed before you goes in then out again one time i didnt feelit was numb enough and all i got from dentist was I only have an hour to get through everyone its fine, which it wasnt turned out i needed a second dose to numb me as i practically jumped as soon as he touched me. Its that bad now i need to be in agony for days before even comsediering going again. Shocking[evil]

munchkin
18-Oct-07, 16:39
hi thats what happened when i went ,the dentist got very stroppy with me as i have been refered 5 times bad bad bad girl now i am frightened ive been on the waiting list over 2 years and am 98 for helmsdale i was 88th 4 months ago dooooooooooh why am i now 98th i was told more important cases have been put in front of me whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.:confused

pirateeye
19-Oct-07, 11:39
[quote=porshiepoo;284667]That'll probably be the emergency number your relative rang. That's how it works. Ring before a certain time and the dentist will ring you back with an appointment usually for the same day or the next.
Problem is though they only carry out emergency treatment i.e temporary fillings or extractions. They somehow expect you to get the rest done elsewhere![evil]

yes thats how the first bitworked, she got in quickly but they are making plans for her to go back after the results of her x-ray come in to get teeth pulled. im glad he got in but its shame people have to wait so long.