PDA

View Full Version : more houses in broadhaven

LRM
15-Oct-07, 15:42
Heard today that a planning application is now in for provision of roads and services for 25 houses at broadhaven ( entry from Murray avenue). A play park is much needed for this area and i am thinking of writing to the council to see if this is in the planning application. If it is not I think I may start a petition and wonder would anyone be willing to lend there support. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Blondie
15-Oct-07, 16:14
Heard today that a planning application is now in for provision of roads and services for 25 houses at broadhaven ( entry from Murray avenue). A play park is much needed for this area and i am thinking of writing to the council to see if this is in the planning application. If it is not I think I may start a petition and wonder would anyone be willing to lend there support. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

As far as I can recall, when we saw the plans several years ago, there was a space for a playpark. However that then got sold as a housing plot. Surely that wasnt right?
Not sure if anyone took it any further though.
I'm told there IS a plot for a park in the area you are talking about, but I dont know if thats true or just rumour.

Something doesnt seem quite right though, I mean check out Heathfield in Thurso. Also M M Millers development.

Let me know if I can help.

dirdyweeker
15-Oct-07, 21:15
seen the plans............no play area noted. It is a massive number of houses that have been built there over the years and I am shocked that no provision has been made for a play area. Neighbours complain when the kids go out in the streets to play football etc but where else are they meant to play.

Blondie
15-Oct-07, 23:03
I'm sure once so many houses have been built then a play area has to be provided. I'm also sure its nothing like the number that have been built already!

Something is surely wrong here?

Anyone from Millers care to enlighten us?

dirdyweeker
16-Oct-07, 09:30
If the new houses are built there will be no room left for a play area within the housing.From Bayview out to the new Water Treatment plant it will be all houses and NO play area. That is a massive number of houses, containing lots of children. Granted there is one on the opposite side at Hillhead but Willowbank is a very busy road for young children to cross.

Blondie
16-Oct-07, 10:05
Going off the track a wee bit here, but why on earth would anyone want to build a house and live next to the water treatment plant is beyond me!

I walk there regularly and the stench is something else!

LRM
16-Oct-07, 10:22
I was told to write to the planning department with any concerns but the application has not yet been allocated to a planning officer so there is no individual to write to, but if everyone with concerns writes to planning maybe someone will listen.

lynne duncan
16-Oct-07, 10:56
http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/14365DC8-20BF-4972-8E1D-F8396B672982/0/wick.pdf

according to the local plan which was set out in 2002 there was capacity for 40 houses in this area but with the stipulation that 0.5ha was to be left for a playarea though again according to the plan this area would as quoted on the plan "Proposals must incorporate an area 0.5ha for a kickabout pitch/play space which could be sited within the adjacent waste water treatment plant safeguarding area"
so the children could have a play area but we would have to fit them with a gas mask
especially if scottish water continue to be in capable of containing their smell emissions to the boundary of their plant

lynne duncan
16-Oct-07, 10:58
also if anyone has concerns write to david sutherland or the local councillors and have it brought up at the next ward meeting which will be in november not sure of the date though

LRM
16-Oct-07, 12:13
what does within the safeguarding area mean? Surely not within the existing fence?

rainbow
16-Oct-07, 13:51
I can confirm that at Port Dunbar/Broadhaven there was supposed to be a play park but the land was sold off for a house!
With regards to the new development at Oldwick I am aware that once something like 40 (or thereabout) houses have been built then there has to be a playpark. I do remember reading about this in the Groat when planning permission was given initially for the development - there also has to be so many 'affordable houses'!!!??? Judging by the rate that the houses are being built at Oldwick then a new play park will be created sooner rather than later.

Blondie
16-Oct-07, 15:16
I can confirm that at Port Dunbar/Broadhaven there was supposed to be a play park but the land was sold off for a house!
With regards to the new development at Oldwick I am aware that once something like 40 (or thereabout) houses have been built then there has to be a playpark. I do remember reading about this in the Groat when planning permission was given initially for the development - there also has to be so many 'affordable houses'!!!??? Judging by the rate that the houses are being built at Oldwick then a new play park will be created sooner rather than later.

i dont understand this at all. Is it not legally binding that they have to put in a playpark then?

lynne duncan
16-Oct-07, 16:30
we thought there was a space to be left in the street in front of us but this mysteriously disappeared under2 semidetached houses, didn't appreciate it at the time as the bairns were smaller (like the water treatment plant didn't appreciate what was being built there either, but that's me hopefully learning as i grow older)
it maybe with this developement that speaking to miller's may allow an area to be left for the children because there is a big need for one.
and also it maybe worth checking to see if there is any council policy or even scottish executive policies on leaving play areas for children,
though this may only result in an area of ground being set aside.
to actually develope the site into a playpark or just kick around space may require a lot more people input

Blondie
16-Oct-07, 17:27
As far as I'm aware, Millers have to build the playpark and they also have to maintain it for a cerain number of years. I dont recall how many years though, sorry.

badger
16-Oct-07, 19:09
also if anyone has concerns write to david sutherland or the local councillors and have it brought up at the next ward meeting which will be in november not sure of the date though

Details of next ward forum 13 Nov
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/yourward/ward03/wardforum/

They're not doing very well updating this website as Minutes of the last meeting haven't been posted yet. Said in the Groat a while ago that the website was going to be used more for info. and I've already complained to David Sutherland about it not being updated (he's away just now BTW - due back on 22 Oct). Never mind, I expect they'll get there eventually.

katarina
16-Oct-07, 21:47

I'll certainly lend my support, and judging by the replies, so will a good few others. how about starting a petition?

johno
16-Oct-07, 21:53
would you want the house/s next to the play area. think that they would be the very last ones to sell, dont you.:roll:

lynne duncan
16-Oct-07, 21:54
i will certainly lend support if it is required, a phone call to miller's to see how they are planning to lay out the new development, if any problems arise then atrip to the council or a request via the ward forum may help,
though as we are talking play parks it would be very nice if the other surrounding ones could also be improved at the same time for the sake of the other kids, ie staxigoe, papigoe and hillhead as it is a shame how these have been left to decay to such a state,
but i suppose that would be too much to hope for!!
but as i said at the start support i will lend if it is needed for this one

lynne duncan
16-Oct-07, 21:58
don't think so johno, if the playpark is securely enclosed and well laid out it would surely enhance the possibility of selling a house. maybe i am being naive, but not all kids are yobs!!! or maybe i'm viewing them through rose tinted glasses.
however not going to deviate from the initial thread there is a big need for the playpark

LRM
17-Oct-07, 12:55
I sent an email to planning yesterday and got a reply from Iain Ewart today saying that he has lodged my letter as a fromal complaint and has asked that a play park be included in the plans. So come on everyone, get writing and show your support.
Also spoke to M.M.Millers who have told me that the plans at present are for consultation, this goes to Inverness who then decide whether a play area is needed and then tell Millers what they need to provide, whether it be a play park with swings etc. or a kick about area. Millers have to build and maintain the park for 10 years and then it is up to the council. I was also told that a plot is earmarked for a play area but I think they wait for a decision from Inverness before they give it up as a plot and turn it into a park!!!!

katarina
17-Oct-07, 13:57
Given the amount of houses already there, I do not think it unreasonable to have a playpark AND a kick around park for the older ones. I have sent an email stating that fact. And to reply to Johno, as most of these houses will be bought by young families, I think they will be looking for a playpark in the area. The lack of one might therefore be a deterent rather than the other way round.