PDA

View Full Version : Chinese leftovers... how safe?

hereboy
18-Aug-05, 19:04
apologies if this has been asked before..but...I am always arguing with my girlfriend about this...

how long is it safe to keep leftover takeaway and such in the fridge and still be safe enough to eat?

She had heard you are never supposed to eat leftover rice as it soaks up all these nasties from the air... you should always make fresh rice even if you do reheat the main dishes...Can anyone confirm this?

I had four day old chinese for lunch today and it tasted fine - lots of foods taste better to me a few days after they were orginally made...is this OK or am I likely to be doing myself a mischief?

golach
18-Aug-05, 19:14
unless the rice is reheated properly, i.e until its very very hot, then the rice is a killer, and you can end up in hospital being very ill, one of my colleagues did just that, i.e. just heated the rice a wee bit, and he ended up in the Western General for 2 weeks and lost a stone in weight. But a keeping a take away meal in a fridge for 4 days, I think is asking for trouble

compo
18-Aug-05, 19:24
all chinese/indian/kebab leftovers should be consumed for breakfast on the morning after the night before :eek:

lassieinfife
18-Aug-05, 19:37
sounds bit like the chicken thing .. so i will keep quiet :( :confused

hereboy
18-Aug-05, 19:43
lassieinfife,

no its OK - I'm wonton your opinion.... ;)

Geo
18-Aug-05, 19:44
Rice has to be cooled to a certain temperature within a certain time or else Baccilis Cereus forms in it or B.Cereus as lab folk like to joke. Apparently heating doesn't kill it either so if the rice hasn't been cooled quickly you should dump it.

More info here:
http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/environment/consumerprotection/foodservices/pdf/food_hygiene_advice_16.pdf

Having said that we've been reheating rice for years and not had a problem thankfully.

hereboy
18-Aug-05, 19:53
good grief...all that talk of the western general and baccilus cereus has made me feel quite off colour... I wish I had never asked - there will be no living with my girlfiriend after this you know.

I'm away for a "Queensway"...

Naefearjustbeer
18-Aug-05, 20:41
24 hours after purchase is the limit for me, But I always give it a good nukin' in the micro before I eat it.

Jeid
18-Aug-05, 21:30
charlie's has it on their menus that it should be eaten within 12hours

Margaret M.
18-Aug-05, 23:07
Yikes, I had no idea about the dangers of leftover white rice. Guess I've been lucky but from now it gets chucked. If I don't eat leftovers the next day they usually get dumped.

Geo
18-Aug-05, 23:21
I think rice for fried rice is cooled then reheated in the frying processs, so as long as it is cooled properly then reheating once should be fine. I wasn't aware of the quick cooling requirement until recently and have reheated rice for years with no problems. Since reading about it I just put unused rice into the fridge and use the next day.

champagnebaby
18-Aug-05, 23:26
LOL :lol: 4 Days old!!

I thought i was bad eating food more than a day old but no way would i eat something 4 days old

EDDIE
18-Aug-05, 23:36
as long as u dont see any moldy bits it should be ok lol

hereboy
18-Aug-05, 23:44
here eddie, I've been known to cut the moldy bit off a lump of cheddar and then eat it.... don't tell me there aren't folk out there that haven't done the same!

Rheghead
19-Aug-05, 00:02
Is it me or do chinese meals taste the same what ever you order?

having said that chinese meals do taste yummy so it amazes me that they can survive 4 days in a fridge...

eat 'em while they're fresh

hereboy
19-Aug-05, 00:07
rheghead,

what had happened was i had ordered way too much on the first day - so it kept me going for 4 days a bitty at a time - even the spring rolls and the fortune cookies - the message inside my cookie said - "you will be rewarded for your efforts" I hope this doesn't mean rewarded with a dose of the "sour apple quickstep"....

lassieinfife
19-Aug-05, 09:45
here eddie, I've been known to cut the moldy bit off a lump of cheddar and then eat it.... don't tell me there aren't folk out there that haven't done the same!

the mouldy bit produces spores which go right through the cheese and that can effect digestive system ......... either eat befor it goes mouldy or chuck it out :(

Camra
19-Aug-05, 12:47
How does that work with stilton and other veined varieties ?

Bobinovich
19-Aug-05, 23:15

Guilty as charged :D but I usually cut off a good quarter inch from any mouldy side and I've not had any problems - yet!

Anyway I've been told I've got a stomach made of steel - eat like a horse and far too fast, but rarely have indigestion, and blue moons have nothing on me when it comes to being sick due to food problems. My wife can hardly look at food after 10pm without a guaranteed prayer to the white porcelain god...

Leftovers - what are they? :p :p