PDA

View Full Version : Who is good at maths

peedie man
14-Oct-07, 19:46
Three reps are away on a business trip. They decide to stop at an hotel for the night.
The rooms are £30 and they all decide to stay in one room.
So they each give the receptionist a £10 note and go upstairs.
Shortly afterwards the hotel manager tells the receptionist that there is a special deal on the room price and that it’s not £30 a night but only £25 so they had better give the three reps (who had paid £30) £5 back.
The receptionist calls over the bellboy and gives him five £1 coins and tells him to give them to the reps.
The bellboy knocks the door and explains the reason for the refund and hands over the £5.
The three reps are pleased and each take one £1 coin and give the remaining £2 back to the bellboy as a tip.
BUT
When the reps filled out their expenses there was a hitch.
They had each handed over £10 for the room but had each taken a pound back from the bellboy.
They had in fact only spent £9 each
They had given the bellboy a £2 tip
Hang on! Three £9’s are £27
Add the £2 tip……………..that’s £29
SO WHERES THE OTHER POUND!
Answers on a postcard please………….

lady penelope
14-Oct-07, 19:51
My head hurts.Iv'e read it 3times now?:confused:

helenwyler
15-Oct-07, 01:15
Good question, peedie man - but the trick is in the question!

Analyse the information in a different way and...

The total cost for the room is £27...

(...£25, plus £2 for the tip = £27)

Divide by 3 for each rep = £9

Add £1 for each rep's 'return' and you get £10!

Am I right?

Quakingly yours:eek:,

Helen

nanoo
15-Oct-07, 01:47
Heard that one years ago when it involved a bottle of whisky at 30/- and three men. It did'nt have an answer as it was one of those counting conundrums. Heres another, although with a bit of imagination it can be worked out............................. A rich Arab dies and he has three sons, and he owns 17camels...................... to his eldest son he gives, half of them... and to the second eldest he gives, one third............... to his youngest, one ninth. How many camels does each son get? Now you cannot half a camel but as i said earlier use your imagination.

peedie man
15-Oct-07, 21:26
right Helen
The men paid out £30 of which:

£25 went to the hotel manager
£3 was returned to the guests
£2 went to the bellboy
Total = £30