PDA

View Full Version : hair today.... gone 2moro!

peedie
12-Oct-07, 16:14
does anyone out there know what is best to wash your scalp with if your hair has fallen out, soap i believe is a no no. my hair has come out due to chemo i dont know whether that makes any difference to what i can use or not. any suggestions gratefully recieved :D

lady penelope
12-Oct-07, 16:25
You should be able to get advice from Macmillan nurses or your cancer support nurse.
In the meantime use the mildest non perfumed shampoo/ body wash you can find. Use warm, not hot water to wash your skin as it can get very sensitive.
Simple or E45 are good.
I wish you well in your treatment.
The internet is a great source to find info.

:)

lady penelope
12-Oct-07, 16:27
Use a suncream/ windbarrier cream as well so your sensitive skin doesn't get chapped.

Anne x
12-Oct-07, 16:43
why not try one of the johnson baby washes with no addatives
and the very best of luck with your chemo and future

Margaret M.
12-Oct-07, 18:31
Peedie, I wish you strength and anything else you may need as you face this challenge.

armanisgirl
12-Oct-07, 18:49
I would also suggest Johnsons baby shampoo. It was recommended by a consultant, to wash my baby daughters eye when she had problems with cysts in her eyelids. I would have thought if it's gentle enough to cleanse the eyes, it should be gentle on your scalp. All the best with the chemo, and good luck.

Linda x

Fran
13-Oct-07, 02:44
Peedie, can I reassure you by saying your hair will grow back quickly and better. Himself lost his hair with chemo earlier this year. It then turned white and fluffy and stuck up in the wind, then it grew stronger and darker. Now it is thick and quite curly and dark, really nice. He had his first hair cut since the chemo today and I miss the curls he had. My friends hair went the same, she was really pleased as it was better than it was before the chemo.
Himself uses a usual shampoo for normal hair. Louise will tell you what to do.
Do you know there is a device at wick called a coldcap which is put on your head ...its like a helmet.........during chemo, and it stops your hair coming out.
Good luck with your treatment and hope all goes well with you.
I am staring a Cancer support group in wick shortly if you would be interested. I will be publicising the meeting a few weeks beforehand. I think there is a real need for one in Caithness and i am getting help to do this from Macmillan Cancer Care,.... and where would we be without them.

peedie
13-Oct-07, 11:36
firstly thank you for all the replys and nice messages plenty to cheer me up! will give some of the suggestions a bash see how i get on
fran let me know where and when and if i can i'll head up a look :D

thanks again

peedie
13-Oct-07, 19:28
have found a rather handy side to this shaved head lark. i have a wig (its called cuthbert) my sister went and brushed it for me. it now looks swish and i didnt have to put any effort in what so ever hehe![lol] shame its so itchy!

candyfloss
13-Oct-07, 19:48
I remember when i was going through chemo i had a wig and it always reminded me of a guinea pig [lol] It was horrible. Not that i don't like guinea pigs.
My brother-in-law tried it on once, it was so funny he had us all in stitches [lol]
Good luck with the chemo and hope your well soon x

Lolabelle
14-Oct-07, 07:40
All the best with your treatment Peedie.
My hair was falling out too, but from over doing the chemical treatments, (colouring). So now, I can no longer have it dyed, and I use natural products by Alchemy.
www.purist.com (http://www.purist.com). If you do want to try it and cant get it over there pm me and we will see what we can arrange.
All the best,
Lola

BRIE
14-Oct-07, 09:45
my sisters just finished radiotherapy & chemotherapy. She was told to use the mildest shampoo possible e.g baby shampoo. same with soap as your skin will also be sensitive. hope your treatment goes ok :D

paris
14-Oct-07, 10:46
I cant believe in this day and age that a instant cure hasn't been found, not only for cancers but all major illnesses. There seams to be so many people out there with the dreaded BIG C something must be triggering it all of. I know its not a death sentence nowadays and there is a lot of treatment out there but why have so many people got it ??
All being said i think anyone who has been diagnosed with cancer now or in the past are very brave people. My heart goes out to you all. Jan x
P.S Hubby gets his results on Friday !! fingers crossed for him and me i may need my orger family like i never have before. Jan x

Anne x
14-Oct-07, 11:29
yes Jan its very common 1 in 4 women will have the big C I have 2 very good friends going through treatment at the moment one on Chemotherapy before her op and the other has had her op and starts radiotherapy soon
both speak very highly of the treatment they have received and I am pleased to say both very positive and doing very well

rockchick
14-Oct-07, 13:21
Is is possible that the incidence of cancer hasn't increased, but that our ability to detect it has?

Anne x
14-Oct-07, 13:32
Is is possible that the incidence of cancer hasn't increased, but that our ability to detect it has?

could well be rockchick and thank goodness for that we are all a lot more aware of our bodies and early detection is very important

Thumper
14-Oct-07, 14:58
I think it is more a case of we feel able to talk about it now.Years ago people just didn't say what was wrong with them,and I suppose a lot of the time cancer wasn't diagnosed until such time that it couldn't be cured.Now we are not quite so suppressed as we were before and we can freely talk about cancer and it's treatment.I know it took my dad a long time to tell me that he had it x