PDA

View Full Version : Local Fuel Prices

Tubthumper
11-Oct-07, 20:19
Perhaps someone can explain to me why it is that the Chancellor put fuel prices up by 2p a litre and yet the price of petrol in Thurso went up 4p a litre. While they're at it, perhaps an explanation for the difference in prices for the same suppliers in Wick and Thurso would be valuable.
'Local petrol stations will go bust when Tesco appears!' was the clarion call over a year ago. I haven't seen any petrol stations in Wick closing down yet, despite having to match Tesco prices, therefore they must still be profitable. So who's raking in the profits at our expense in Thurso?? The owners of the stations? The suppliers?
The economic well-being of our County is very dependant on transport costs; I feel it is time for any pirates, robbers, bandits or greedy business persons operating in the area to own up.

cuddlepop
11-Oct-07, 20:26
Just now the petrol and diesel are £1.049 over here on Skye.:~(
Heading down to Glasgow where I know its cheaper so will fill up down there.
Lets just hope we estimate right and dont end up driving on fumes the last wee bit.:lol:

grumpyhippo
11-Oct-07, 20:35
Its strange...... in Inverness, as far as I'm aware, Tescos charges the same for a litre of sunflower oil as in Wick where diesel oil costs 5p more than in Inverness. Guess the goods in the store cost nothing to transport and the fuel has some magic property added for the north consumer that costs 5p a litre.

angela5
11-Oct-07, 20:46
Elm tree in wick was 96.9p before the rise, they have risen to 99.9p.

11-Oct-07, 20:51
it went up 3p not 4p

angela5
11-Oct-07, 20:53
it went up 3p not 4p

Yes, but the thread is local fuel prices, not which ones went up by 4p.:D

kas
11-Oct-07, 21:00
I paid 105.9p for diesel at Pennyland filling station last Thursday, so when I saw it at Tesco for 98.9p on Saturday evening I filled up.

Slightly off topic
Great stuff or so I thought. The car was like a Kangaroo on Sunday. First thing the mechanic asked when we asked him what was causing it,

"Did you fuel up at Tesco by any chance?????"
Anyone else had bother like this?

angela5
11-Oct-07, 21:04
I paid 105.9p for diesel at Pennyland filling station last Thursday, so when I saw it at Tesco for 98.9p on Saturday evening I filled up.

Slightly off topic
Great stuff or so I thought. The car was like a Kangaroo on Sunday. First thing the mechanic asked when we asked him what was causing it,

Funny you should ask, my car was like that and i put it in the garage it cost £165 to fix. He tried to blame it on tesco petrol until i said i'd never filled up there with petrol before.
I use tesco petrol now though.

Dynamic Sounds
11-Oct-07, 21:31
Yeah it gets me the price of fuel in this part of the world. Never thought about the price of fuel in different Tescos, but did notice something I thought was strange yesterday..

..put the wife to Glasgow airport and on way back up the road stopped at the Shell station at Cumbernauld on the A90, I had enought fuel to get to Inverness, but as I have found this to be the cheapest place to fill up I did. The price was 96.9p a litre for diesel.

Got to Inverness and stopped at Tescos to availmyself of thier washroom facilities, an don way out seen the price there was 95.9p. First time I seen them cheaper than Cumbernauld.

Never mind still managed to get 50+MPG out the car on the way up, even with some heavy right foot work.:Razz

Tubthumper
11-Oct-07, 22:37
Let's leave Tesco out of the equation for a wee while. Can someone tell me how much a Gleaner Oil station is charging for petrol in Wick?
They're charging 103.9 per litre in Thurso. And it was 99.9p per litre before the latest rise.
The point I'm making is that the fuel will come off the same truck, having travelled approximately the same distance. And if a profit can still be made by stations matching Tesco's prices in Wick, how much profit is being made from fuel sold at the Thurso stations.
As I said earlier, the price of fuel is an important factor in the economic suuccess of the area. If we're being ripped off by rogues, it affects more than just our personal pockets right here and now. So who is making the money????

Anne x
11-Oct-07, 23:47
think you already no the answer to that !!! thats why they dont want Asda or any other competition no mentioning the T word

theone
12-Oct-07, 01:39
So who is making the money????

The "poor" local businesses who are struggling to make ends meet.

The garage owners in their Audi A8's (£49-£68K) a'la pennyland filling station.

pentlander
12-Oct-07, 09:17
it went up 3p not 4p
3p plus vat

12-Oct-07, 09:36
no 2p + vat which makes it 3p!!

nikki
12-Oct-07, 09:57
I filled up my scooter at tescos, and then drove back to lybster. took over half a tank for that 14 miles, whereas if i filled up at richards it would take less than a quarter. kinda dodgy. and it was jumping and spluttering the whole was home after tescos.

Tubthumper
12-Oct-07, 12:45
3p plus vat
VAT at 17.5% does not add up to 1 or 2p per litre on a rise of 3 or 4 pence a litre: are we being robbed even more?

There are often some very in-depth and emotional debates on this forum regarding a wide range of subjects, from world issues to local issues. Can we get a discussion going on this ridiculous situation regarding price differences between towns.

If Wick stations can match Tesco prices and survive, why can't Thurso ones charge the same for the same fuel, and who is ripping us off??

Tubthumper
12-Oct-07, 12:48

Slightly off topic

The mechanic wasn't at Pennyland was he?

Highland Laddie
12-Oct-07, 13:17
I have topped up with Tesco petrol everytime since they opened,
and have never had a days problem with their petrol.
Mileage is every bit as as good as when i used to top up at other stations before Tesco arrived.
have spoken to several friends that are mechanics, and they say there is absolutely no problems with Tesco petrol.

Skerries
12-Oct-07, 15:04
I filled up my scooter at tescos, and then drove back to lybster. took over half a tank for that 14 miles, whereas if i filled up at richards it would take less than a quarter. kinda dodgy. and it was jumping and spluttering the whole was home after tescos.

I've always filled up at Tesco and the only 'jumping and spluttering' going on in my car is me when I see how some local garages have taken their price signs down in an attempt to lure in unsuspecting motorists. Some welcome to the county for visitors that is!

northener
12-Oct-07, 15:35
Price variations aren't something that Caithness has exclusive rights to.

On a recent jaunt down to Lincoln I noticed that a lot of the prices were very similar to what we pay around here (Wick).

The most expensive place was a big station just off the A1 around Scotch Corner. Over £1.00 per litre in a station that was obviously not struggling to get customers. Licensed banditry? Absolutely.

There wouldn't be a snowballs chance of any of our local garages matching the turnover of a lot of the garages doon sooth, yet I don't think that the Wick garages are that far off the mark.

Having said that, we don't know if this situation is sustainable indefinitely. Might not have any local suppliers still trading in a couple of years if it isn't.

bekisman
12-Oct-07, 16:31
Hi,
Today (Friday 12th Oct)on going from 'out west' over to Tesco for the weekly shop, thought I'd go via the rip-offs (Opps sorry fuel stations) along the way:
(THURSO) Unleaded Petrol Diesel
Pennyland: 103.9 105.9
Bridgend: 103.9 105.9
Richards: 101.9 103.9

(WICK)
Richards: 101.9 102.9

Shell Dunnets: 99.9 101.9
Elm Tree: 99.9 101.9
Tesco: 96.9 98.9

Lesson learned; it's a saving of 7p a litre for either (or £4.20 a tank filling for us) rather have a nice drive over to Wick, get cheap shopping and fill up with fuel - seems bit odd that Richards is the cheapest in Thurso but the most expensive in Wick?

PS I've used Tesco fuel since they opened and had no problems whatsoever and get the same mileage return as the rip-offs..
PPS AND with the new section of the A836 now complete and a free run through will save even more!
and Oh it's confirmed ASDA is not at all interested in Somerfields in Wick but is DETERMINED to continue with it's quest for a toehold in Thurso.

mickey101
12-Oct-07, 16:33
Hi
You wont see a change in the petrol rip off until Asda gets here but i fear that the selfish minority who think is it their god given right to screw the local population will have successfully put paid to that.

M

Mik.M.
12-Oct-07, 18:37
If people stopped using the local garages they would soon get the message but it can work both ways by them thinking that some people will not go to Tesco because its too far. It`s a difficult one to call, I`ll stick to Tesco for now though coz you don`t get clubcard points from the local garages.

squirly
12-Oct-07, 22:44
Hi just a lurker normally but as though I'd add my 2p's worth. These days a petrol station makes about 1 -2p a litre on fuel depending on the deal they have with the fuel company. With a good site doing about 60k volume a week there's not a huge amount to be made on the fuel as this isn't profit just income. A petrol station generally turns a profit from the shop sales, so its the Mars Bars your buying thats running the Audi A8 not the fuel.

Cookerpebble
12-Oct-07, 22:56
I've always filled up at Tesco and the only 'jumping and spluttering' going on in my car is me when I see how some local garages have taken their price signs down in an attempt to lure in unsuspecting motorists. Some welcome to the county for visitors that is!

noticed this myself, Pennylands was badly damaged in the storms last october, but that was October 2006. I don't think there is one station in Thurso which displays the cost, must be embarassed by their brass necks!

Tristan
13-Oct-07, 14:14
Hi just a lurker normally but as though I'd add my 2p's worth. These days a petrol station makes about 1 -2p a litre on fuel depending on the deal they have with the fuel company. With a good site doing about 60k volume a week there's not a huge amount to be made on the fuel as this isn't profit just income. A petrol station generally turns a profit from the shop sales, so its the Mars Bars your buying thats running the Audi A8 not the fuel.

I agree with you that a lot of the stations make money from the mars bars etc but here is a thread http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=34103

my dad phoned up for a price quote for 500 gallons of road diesel the other day andthe price he was quoted was just about £1 a litre yet we can go to tesco and get it for 95p a litre whats going on? isn't whole sale supposed to be cheaper?
i hear tesco do home deliveries i wonder if they will deliver 2400 litre to fill my tank...:lol:

but seriously anyone any idea where to get 500 gallon of road diesel?

If he can get fuel wholesale for £1 a litre I find it hard to believe the local garages couldn't do better. Even at a pound it is closer to 4-6 pence per litre profit not the 2 p you and stations always claim.

kawamx16
13-Oct-07, 14:36
the pterol stations in thurso i.e pennyland, bridgend & dunnets are just ripping the eyes out of there customers, can wait untill asda come then watch the local garages closing down with a big smile on my face.

squirly
13-Oct-07, 19:34
I agree with you that a lot of the stations make money from the mars bars etc but here is a thread http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=34103 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=34103)

If he can get fuel wholesale for £1 a litre I find it hard to believe the local garages couldn't do better. Even at a pound it is closer to 4-6 pence per litre profit not the 2 p you and stations always claim.

A Petrol Station will make a minimum of 30% on dated items, about 4 - 8% on cigerettes and absolute top whack of 4% on fuel (if we go with your fuel prices). I don't think you could call adding 4% on it outrageous. Really we need to be pointing the finger at government thats adding on the duty. Very occasionally you do get the forecourt that will sell on margain not volume but in my experience they're few and far between.

Just to add Tesco's fuel is cheaper because it doesn't contain the additives that the fuel you'd buy from Shell, Texaco etc has. They are buying it cheaper and are buying a much larger volume. The tanker drivers I come into contact with tell me that the fuel is cheaper but you wont get as many miles to the gallon, next tested this theory myself though.

Bobinovich
13-Oct-07, 19:56
As you seem to have inside information Squirly can you please explain how Wick petrol stations can charge so much less than in Thurso?

Welcomefamily
14-Oct-07, 07:58
Also with Tescos you can often get a further 5p a litre off if you spend more than £50.00 on shopping. A few weeks ago I was paying 0.92 a litre. with my car holding 90 litres its worth while filling up and doing the shopping.

Thumper
14-Oct-07, 09:28
noticed this myself, Pennylands was badly damaged in the storms last october, but that was October 2006. I don't think there is one station in Thurso which displays the cost, must be embarassed by their brass necks!
I thought that it was illegal to do that?Haven't they got to display their prices?[disgust] x

14-Oct-07, 11:11
I thought that it was illegal to do that?Haven't they got to display their prices?[disgust] x

As long as prices are displayed on the pumps it is perfectly legal coz the prices are on show to people before they buy

Tubthumper
14-Oct-07, 13:38
Just to add Tesco's fuel is cheaper because it doesn't contain the additives that the fuel you'd buy from Shell, Texaco etc has. They are buying it cheaper and are buying a much larger volume. The tanker drivers I come into contact with tell me that the fuel is cheaper but you wont get as many miles to the gallon, next tested this theory myself though.
I haven't noticed that Tesco has an oil refinery in Scotland, there doesn't seem to be a Tesco fuel distribution depot either. Who do they buy their fuel from, and why can't the other local suppliers buy from the same source?
As for Tesco buying in bulk being an excuse, can they possibly be buying in more bulk than Shell or Esso??? And if the Esso stuff, additives and all, comes to Caithness on the same truck for Wick or Thurso, how come it's more expensive in Thurso?
As for the additives, having used Tesco fuel for a year now, I haven't noticed any change in performance or maintenance costs, perhaps your tanker drivers work for someone who has a vested interest in casting aspersions on the quality of Tesco fuel, similar to some mechanics??
Nice to see that Richards garages are sticking to their principles, with the same price on both sides of the county. However as for the other outlets, dare I ask if there remains a cartel arrangement in Thurso? Perhaps the last vestiges of the years-long rip-off that we've been subject to, penalised for living in a remote area?

Tubthumper
14-Oct-07, 13:40
And another thing, how come the price went up 4p a litre here when the Government only slapped on a 2p a litre increase?????

squirly
14-Oct-07, 21:32
As you seem to have inside information Squirly can you please explain how Wick petrol stations can charge so much less than in Thurso?

I would imagine it has something to do with Tescos being in the area. IMO unless the local sites keep up with Tescos (turning the fuel into a lost leader) they wont have any customers coming into the site to buy dated goods which is where they are turning the profit.

Tescos are buying the fuel straight off the stock market if my memory serves me well (it often doesn't) and the additives are added before its dropped at site.

Dynamic Sounds
15-Oct-07, 01:06
And another thing, how come the price went up 4p a litre here when the Government only slapped on a 2p a litre increase?????

Apparently, and I never knew this till yesterday, there is VAT charged on the tax! So you add your 17.5% on to the 2p. I know that this dont solve the whole 4p a litre question, but is an interesting fact

Rheghead
15-Oct-07, 01:12
Apparently, and I never knew this till yesterday, there is VAT charged on the tax!

This is a common con. Builders do this all the time, they buy stuff at trade, charge at retail, then finally charge VAT again after labour is all added into the bill.

bish667
15-Oct-07, 14:07
Wick had cheaper petrol prices than Thurso long before Tescos was here.
I dont buy petrol in Wick cos none of the petrol stations do Super.

henry20
15-Oct-07, 17:32

Its simple ...... all the garages are now subsidised so they can compete with Tesco's - unfortunately for Thurso, the subsidies only apply to petrol stations within the same town. :roll:

Bobinovich
15-Oct-07, 18:27
Is that subsidised by the fuel companies supplying these stations?

gollach
15-Oct-07, 18:59
Yes, they do it to sustain their market share.

Tubthumper
15-Oct-07, 19:08
'Gleaner Oils transporting motor spirit over land and sea to refuel our network. We do not charge our network a premium for rural or island deliveries.'

From Gleaner Oils website. So it seems it's not them that's bumping the price up.

Maybe if we all buy more Mars Bars, the price of fuel will drop...

Seriously though, the subject of fuel prices should be re-examined, as it's key to the County's success as an industrial, agricultural or tourism centre.

Maybe whoever's making a killing charging higher prices re-invests their excess profits into such things as sponsorship of local sports, or helping local charities etc...

bekisman
15-Oct-07, 19:24
Out today, and noticed a Brogan oil tanker filling a domestic heating tank on outskirts of Wick, I know of Simpson's and Scottish Fuels - anyone use Brogan?

squirly
15-Oct-07, 19:33
If you work out 60k volume x 4p a litre you know how much income the sites making from fuel. Its pennies and would only cover the employment of 5 people max to cover a petrol station open 7 days a week. 60k would be a decent turnover (not for tescos) and I would think unlikely all of the local sites are doing this. Aslo consider if the sites bunkering they wont be seeing that income for 4 weeks etc.

The sites maybe taking 4p a litre (at a push), how much is the government taking?

Tubthumper
15-Oct-07, 20:07
If you work out 60k volume x 4p a litre you know how much income the sites making from fuel. Its pennies and would only cover the employment of 5 people max to cover a petrol station open 7 days a week. 60k would be a decent turnover (not for tescos) and I would think unlikely all of the local sites are doing this. Aslo consider if the sites bunkering they wont be seeing that income for 4 weeks etc.

The sites maybe taking 4p a litre (at a push), how much is the government taking?
I use around 80 litres a week, that equates to about 4k in a year. Thus the local garage only requires 15 maybe 20 customers to shift the whole 60k litres in a year. So we 15-20 customers are keeping 5 full-time staff in work and a petrol station open through the year? Perhaps we're just buying a lot of mars bars?
They may well be bunkering, but income not seen for 4 weeks should be no surprise to a trader.
Also you mentioned that the additives are added as the fuel's delivered. Why don't the local traders just not bother with the additives at 4p per litre, and compete with Tesco on equal terms for price and quality?
Squirly, do you drive? And do you buy your fuel from a local trader in Thurso at significantly more than from a Wick trader? Or do you risk the spluttering engine and shop at Tescos?
Or perhaps you work in a local fuel outlet and get a discount?
The government may well be dragging in a big whack from the cost of fuel, but they aren't the ones who are penalising us by bumping the price up in Thurso, are they? That's known as piracy I believe.

ber219
15-Oct-07, 20:21
Having read through this topic I find it quite comical that some think that Tesco's fuel would be of a substandard quality and not with the required additives. You honestly think they would risk their name on something like this.

Yes it has happened once down south when the fuel delivered to Tesco was causing problems, so now every person who has a gripe with Tescos and every garage who can make a quick buck have jumped on the bandwagon.

I have used Tescos fuel all over the country for over 8 years and guess what, no extra maintenance costs and no spluttering engines.

COACHMAN
15-Oct-07, 20:46
Gleaner supplies to filling stations are the Same Price in Thurso/Wick /Brora .
It is up to the site owner as what to charge as markup Gleaner mark up is quoted on the delivery invoice as 0.029 pence per litre.
This has to cover all staff costs etc.
So at this mark up there is very little profit to be made on fuel if you are in the Wick area.
The Thurso sites are working on a mark up of 0.05 ppl at the least.
Bunker fuels again you only get o.oo8 ppl handling charge.
Today with a Bunker card you can get Derv for .8388 ppl in Wick.
If and when Asda:D come there price will be a national one and they get there fuel the same place as Tesco /Gleaners /Scottish Fuels/Brogans out of the BP fuel tanks in Inverness

Tristan
15-Oct-07, 21:07
Well I just went to fill up at my local ASDA (I don't want to depress you with the ppl) and right on the pump it says detergents are added to the fuel. Makes you question the claims that supermarket fuel doesn't have additives.

On another point I would have thought for garages like Pennyland and Richards the real money would be in car repairs, MOTs etc.

Tristan
15-Oct-07, 21:13
It is up to the site owner as what to charge as markup Gleaner mark up is quoted on the delivery invoice as 0.029 pence per litre.
So at this mark up there is very little profit to be made on fuel if you are in the Wick area.
If and when Asda:D come there price will be a national one and they get there fuel the same place as Tesco /Gleaners /Scottish Fuels/Brogans out of the BP fuel tanks in Inverness

I assume you mean 5 ppl.
If as you say the local garages control their own markup and they all raise their prices at the same time (which does appear to happen) that is against the law - To bad there isn't an office of fair trading in Caithness.

ABC
15-Oct-07, 21:35
The garage at Pennyland is a seperate business to the petrol station

northener
15-Oct-07, 21:35
On another point I would have thought for garages like Pennyland and Richards the real money would be in car repairs, MOTs etc.

So you'd think they'd be very keen to retain customers wouldn't you?

Well, not at Dunnets they're not. Got a straightforward warranty job that needs doing on my 07 Transit. Dunnets are refusing to do the warranty work -even though Ford insist they doas part of their franchise agreement. So it's a 200 mile round trip for me now to Macrae and Dick, who are very happy to do it.

I've always supported this dealer in Wick by buying my fuel there. Not any more.

Stick it, Dunnets.

Hello, Tesco!

Tubthumper
15-Oct-07, 22:23
Amazing!!!! So to summarise:

We in Thurso pay more for fuel because it's better than Tesco's, even though it comes from the same tanks
We in Thurso pay more for fuel because Wickers buy more Mars bars from local garages
Tesco fuel makes your engine fart if you go to a Thurso garage
Non-Tesco fuel has additives added, that's why it costs more to transport even though it's added at the destination or something
Added additives add to your engine's economy or something good, according to local folklore
Thurso garages are operating at close to a loss, Wick garages are operating as a charity
Thurso garages are establishing profits to cover the lean years ahead, once Asda arrivesWe seem to be getting closer to the crux of the matter.
I have no problem with businesses making a profit. I just resent (a) fibs (b) smokescreens and (c) being fleeced.

bekisman
15-Oct-07, 22:48
Tubthumper: Amazing!!!! So to summarise:

We in Thurso pay more for fuel because it's better than Tesco's, even though it comes from the same tanks
We in Thurso pay more for fuel because Wickers buy more Mars bars from local garages
Tesco fuel makes your engine fart if you go to a Thurso garage
Non-Tesco fuel has additives added, that's why it costs more to transport even though it's added at the destination or something
Added additives add to your engine's economy or something good, according to local folklore
Thurso garages are operating at close to a loss, Wick garages are operating as a charity
Thurso garages are establishing profits to cover the lean years ahead, once Asda arrivesWe seem to be getting closer to the crux of the matter.
I have no problem with businesses making a profit. I just resent (a) fibs (b) smokescreens and (c) being fleeced.

Excellent!

squirly
16-Oct-07, 18:41
I use around 80 litres a week, that equates to about 4k in a year. Thus the local garage only requires 15 maybe 20 customers to shift the whole 60k litres in a year. So we 15-20 customers are keeping 5 full-time staff in work and a petrol station open through the year? Perhaps we're just buying a lot of mars bars?
They may well be bunkering, but income not seen for 4 weeks should be no surprise to a trader.
Also you mentioned that the additives are added as the fuel's delivered. Why don't the local traders just not bother with the additives at 4p per litre, and compete with Tesco on equal terms for price and quality?
Squirly, do you drive? And do you buy your fuel from a local trader in Thurso at significantly more than from a Wick trader? Or do you risk the spluttering engine and shop at Tescos?
Or perhaps you work in a local fuel outlet and get a discount?
The government may well be dragging in a big whack from the cost of fuel, but they aren't the ones who are penalising us by bumping the price up in Thurso, are they? That's known as piracy I believe.

Firstly its 60k a week in litres!
I'm not saying Tescos fuel is substandard just the other fuel companies add a bit extra when they drop.
Tubthumper I fill up twice a week 45-50 litres each time and have done since June 04, 149587 miles, (not normally so precise, just done a mileage claim). On top of that my OH uses about 40 litres a week give or take.

I shop where ever is nearest usually, that might be Tescos Asdas or the local Petrol Station.

Tubthumper
16-Oct-07, 18:51
Firstly its 60k a week in litres!
I'm not saying Tescos fuel is substandard just the other fuel companies add a bit extra when they drop.

I shop where ever is nearest usually, that might be Tescos Asdas or the local Petrol Station.
Now I look at it I should have spotted that. Sorry.
How much are you paying per litre where you are? And do all the prices go up together (except for one)?

squirly
17-Oct-07, 15:24
Now I look at it I should have spotted that. Sorry.
How much are you paying per litre where you are? And do all the prices go up together (except for one)?

Just stuck 51 litres in at 102.9, didn't buy a mars bar though !!

Tubthumper
17-Oct-07, 22:14
Just to tail this discussion off then and sarcasm apart. It seems to me as if our local fuel traders (County-wide) have basically kicked the backside out of their margin for years, and have had a 'cartel' arrangement ensuring the price stayed high.
Now that Tesco have arrived, they are (in Wick at least) having to trim their margins to retain some market share. This does not include Richards garages. There is also a campaign of disinformation regarding distributor pricing and the quality of Tesco fuel. (Apparently.)
In Thurso (except Richards) however they treat us with contempt and keep the price up.
That's the price of a free market economy I suppose; buy cheap, sell dear, push it as hard as the mugs are willing to pay.
I'm only glad that the Thurso fuel retailers who consider me a mug spend such a percentage of their profits on sponsorship and donations. Or was that just a dream??
And people wonder why we wish for Asda??
(PS If any traders want to defend themselves, this is an open forum)
Oh Well...

squirly
18-Oct-07, 17:50
I'm happy to pay the retailer 4p a litre, I don't see that as a rip off. I am however very unhappy to pay the whack the government adds to fuel. Look at the difference between the prices here and in the USA.

Out of interest what do you think is a fair price income per litre for the retailer, based on 60k per week?

Rheghead
18-Oct-07, 18:02
If retailers only make 4p a litre from fuel then howcome the difference in pricing is often >4p between Wick and Thurso?:confused

Tubthumper
18-Oct-07, 20:30
I'm happy to pay the retailer 4p a litre, I don't see that as a rip off. I am however very unhappy to pay the whack the government adds to fuel. Look at the difference between the prices here and in the USA.

Out of interest what do you think is a fair price income per litre for the retailer, based on 60k per week?
We're not paying the retailer only 4p a litre, are we? On the Thurso side we're paying the retailer 4p a litre MORE than on the Wick side.

On 60k litres/ week that means the Thurso station is raking in

an EXTRA £2400 per week,
almost £125 000 a year extra!!!

Frankly, I don't think that amount of income over and above what the Wick stations get is right, and I very much resent lining the pockets of a bunch of rogues!
4p per litre less than we're paying now would be a starting point, that might get my attention and make me think about using the local chap.

squirly
18-Oct-07, 20:35
What do you think is fair income ona litre of fuel?

Tubthumper
18-Oct-07, 21:52
You seem to know a lot about it squirly. What do YOU think a fair price is?

Then please tell me if you think it's fair for Thurso stations to milk an extra 4p per litre over Wick stations. Not as tax, not for additives, not for transport costs. Just top line.

peter macdonald
18-Oct-07, 23:12
If retailers only make 4p a litre from fuel then howcome the difference in pricing is often >4p between Wick and Thurso?

To expand on Rheggers theory --in Thurso you are paying 4p more per litre more than the profit margin in Wick!! --

"Tubthumper I fill up twice a week 45-50 litres each time and have done since June 04, 149587 miles, (not normally so precise, just done a mileage claim)"
Och well if you are not paying for fuel than why worry??

PM
ps in the late 70s and 80s we had the opposite situation when fuel was more expensive in Wick than Thurso It was because the fuel was coming from Scrabster to Wick it was said Well except some of it came from Dingwall as was found out later!

ABC
19-Oct-07, 16:21
At the end of the day it is only people trying to earn a decent living, by providing locals with fuel.

Skerries
19-Oct-07, 16:47
What do you think is fair income ona litre of fuel?

I don't think many people in Caithness would object to buying fuel in local outlets and paying a fair price. I certainly don't. But anyone with eyes can see that some local petrol outlets are not charging a fair price to get a fair income.

I earn a fair income but there's no way I could afford to have several Mercedes, buy and run big houses, supply my family with top notch vehicles, etc. And this is while claiming to be selling it so cheap that it is "practically a public service". When I think of public services, I think of nurses, firefighters, the RNLI, teachers, etc., certainly not wealthy petrol retailers!

henry20
25-Oct-07, 12:07
Its simple ...... all the garages are now subsidised so they can compete with Tesco's - unfortunately for Thurso, the subsidies only apply to petrol stations within the same town. :roll:

Sorry, I believe I was wrong with this statement ............. the subsidies I was thinking of are for 'rural' petrol stations and the subsidy comes from the government - I assume it is for petrol stations 'in the sticks' and therefore would not include petrol stations in Wick/Thurso.

Also, these subsidies are set to be withdrawn by the goverment, meaning even dearer petrol for those in 'rural' areas and possibly more forecourt closures.

sandy01
25-Oct-07, 14:49
I see Tesco is offering the 5p a litre off again, this week. If you spend over £50.00

Have you noticed that diesel at Tesco, has gone up 3p in the last week so its only 2p a litre you get, suppose thats better than a poke in the eye!!!

sandy01
27-Oct-07, 12:18
I see diesel has now gone to 101.9p I wonder what the excuse oops sorry reason is this time??????

cocopops
27-Oct-07, 14:30
i think everyone needs to realise- petrol is not a high profit product. the local retailers are not making a fortune. no one except the government ( who take a huge chunk of your 101.9 p) is ripping you off.
those of you who think pennyland, richards and dunnetts are making huge profits from the small amounts of petrol ARE WRONG. end of. if you have a problem with the price of petrol speak to the government not take it out on the local retailers.

Rheghead
27-Oct-07, 16:48
i think everyone needs to realise- petrol is not a high profit product. the local retailers are not making a fortune. no one except the government ( who take a huge chunk of your 101.9 p) is ripping you off.
those of you who think pennyland, richards and dunnetts are making huge profits from the small amounts of petrol ARE WRONG. end of. if you have a problem with the price of petrol speak to the government not take it out on the local retailers.

Prior to Tesco, those garages maintained that they only make 2p/litre, now the price difference between Wick and Thurso is greater than 4p/litre, and everyone is still in business, thankfully.

How do you account for that?:confused

cocopops
27-Oct-07, 20:52
people will think what they will, but will you not be satisfied until these places do shut. they are sustaining a few people in jobs- not boasting thousands of pounds in profits. go and ask to see the books if that is the only way to shut you people up

Rheghead
27-Oct-07, 21:46
people will think what they will, but will you not be satisfied until these places do shut. they are sustaining a few people in jobs- not boasting thousands of pounds in profits. go and ask to see the books if that is the only way to shut you people up

You didn't answer the question, except to come back with a presumptory accusation that I would like too see local businesses go bust. Pathetic

ber219
27-Oct-07, 22:06
Im sorry Mr Cocopops but I think you may be barking up the wrong tree here!

sandy01
28-Oct-07, 10:53

I don't recall making any comment, about local retailers ripping us off.
Maybe there is a pang of guilty concience here, for times prior to tesco arriving?

henry20
01-Nov-07, 12:18
Sorry, but I've got to take this thread back to the top as I've been thinking about it a lot.
Say your average garage opens 12 hours a day 8-8 for 6 days a week and for 8 hours on a sunday - thats an 80 hour wage needing covered. To make calculations simple, we'll use a wage of £5 - below minimum. Thats £400 worth of wages to find. At 2p a litre on petrol thats a hell of a lot of petrol to turn over in a week.

Plus, if I fill up with 40 litres of petrol, the garage makes 80p - pretty poor return on a £40 sale, but in reality, that 80p has to cover the charge for me paying by credit card (upwards of 15p) heating, lighting, rent ........

So, no, local petrol firms aren't ripping you off, just trying to make a living.

Tesco's CAN survive it because the chances are that a high percentage of people filling up will pop in and do some shopping. The profit from the food can sustain the forecourt. Local petrol stations don't have the pleasure.

Rheghead
01-Nov-07, 13:48
At 2p a litre on petrol thats a hell of a lot of petrol to turn over in a week.

They were making more than that because the difference between Wick and Thurso is more than 2p/litre.

mr do dar
01-Nov-07, 15:42
i was in j.r sutherlands today in halkirk and the petrol was 104.9 i nearly passed out on the fore court . thank god for tesco and hopefully asda .

sandy01
01-Nov-07, 15:48
Dont forget that the larger the amount tesco buys, means they will get it a lot cheaper, per litre than others can buy it.

henry20
01-Nov-07, 16:06
They were making more than that because the difference between Wick and Thurso is more than 2p/litre.

Yes, they have to in order to survive. No other business - Tesco food sales included - expect to survive on such a small margin. My figures were to point out that it is impossible to survive on a 2p per litre mark up!! Once you take into account all the overheads, it would be a miracle if you even covered costs!!

cuddlepop
01-Nov-07, 16:09
Yes, they have to in order to survive. No other business - Tesco food sales included - expect to survive on such a small margin. My figures were to point out that it is impossible to survive on a 2p per litre mark up!! Once you take into account all the overheads, it would be a miracle if you even covered costs!!
Which is why many of the local independent garages are closing.
There isn't the money to be made on selling just fuel,they have to have another income to survive.:~(

henry20
03-Nov-07, 11:28
Which is why many of the local independent garages are closing.
There isn't the money to be made on selling just fuel,they have to have another income to survive.:~(

My husband was in the Highlander petrol station in Inverness earlier in week and they told him it was going to be closing.

Tugmistress
03-Nov-07, 21:31
nearly had a heart attack this morning ... £108.9 for diesel at pennyland [evil]

TRUCKER
03-Nov-07, 22:26
Tescos petrol is now £ 100.9 and the diesel is £102.9 its has jumped up a lot this last wee while.

mr do dar
03-Nov-07, 22:36
everything you need to use the goverment tax you on in a big way . a car ,van , lorry etc are an everyday thing most people have to use . then they tax you on road duty and cant fix the roads up here . . then you have the retailer thats just topping it all off because they know its an essential. at the moment thurso is billing us 7p a litre more then wick thats 31p a gallon more then wick

mr do dar
03-Nov-07, 22:40
Tescos petrol is now £ 100.9 and the diesel is £102.9 its has jumped up a lot this last wee while.
I would rather use tesco then anywhere in thurso at the moment . sorry but thank god tesco arrived when it did cos god knows what the local retailer would be charging us .

corgiman
03-Nov-07, 22:42
Whatever happened to the days when diesel was cheeper than petrol? :confused

Tubthumper
03-Nov-07, 22:46
So to use squirly's figures from earlier in the thread, on 60k litres per week, @ 7p/l more than Wick, some Thurso retailers are milking

£4200 per week
£218 400 per year

from us, the poor softies that put up with it. That's after the expenses in running the station, paying the wages etc have been covered, and not including mars bar sales. It also seems to be for fuel from exactly the same tanks as Tescos comes from. With some mysterious 'additives' from a bucket apparently.
I said at the very start of this, fuel prices are crucial in helping us to secure a future for the area. I suspect that some of our local fuel retailers are being a teensy bit greedy.
Perhaps they can come back and reply -
Why is non-Tesco petrol so much more expensive in Thurso than in Wick?

theone
04-Nov-07, 00:32
Posted this before.

An articulated tanker can carry up to 43000 litres.

Drive 300 miles to Edinburgh, pop down to Morrisions and fill it up.

43000 litres = £40377

Come back to Caithness, sell the petrol.

43000 litres = 44247

Thats a £3087 markup. Anyone want to start a haulage business?

bekisman
04-Nov-07, 09:17
Filled up in Tesco's @ 95.9 (used me 5p off for spending £50)..

ABC
14-Nov-07, 10:15
Just to let you all know the fuel price went up last night again [lol]

henry20
14-Nov-07, 10:17
Just to let you all know the fuel price went up last night again [lol]

and the pump attendant said it is due to go up again in the not too distant future.

Time to buy some walking shoes!!