PDA

View Full Version : Please Give Blood

Jeid
11-Oct-07, 13:39
Today (Thursday) between 2pm and 4pm then 5pm and 8pm in the Royal British Legion in Thurso.

One day somebody you love could need blood. Please come along :)

oldmarine
12-Oct-07, 02:31
Today (Thursday) between 2pm and 4pm then 5pm and 8pm in the Royal British Legion in Thurso.

One day somebody you love could need blood. Please come along :)

This is a worth while plea for anytime.

wifie
12-Oct-07, 12:04
Well said Oldmarine!

justine
12-Oct-07, 14:04
Totally worth the mention.Hope many go for it, well worth while.Unfortunately i cant donate any more as i had a transfusion 4 yrs ago and my blood now makes antibodies so i am unable to donate.I hope that there may be people who can with the same group as me.wouldhelp me if i needed a transfusion again...

Ricco
12-Oct-07, 20:58
Just been last week - number 54 now. Eeeh, by heck. I'm feeling a bit pale!:eek:

mccaugm
12-Oct-07, 21:32
:DProud to say my hubby went along...he is not keen on anything medical but because I am unable to give blood (B12 Deficiency) he felt he should go as he knows how much I believe in it. My son will be old enough to give blood next month and I hope he will go too when the session is on again.

A big Thanks to everyone else who went....

Cinders392
12-Oct-07, 21:42
I go along everytime however being a veggi I have a low iron count and they dont take it. Also you cant give for the year after having a baby. So in another 9 months Ill be able to give. We should try to help as much as we can, although some people dont like the needles. Like my mother they get to the door and about turn when they see the needles. At least she tries.

helenwyler
12-Oct-07, 22:06
The last time I tried to give blood my body just refused to give any more after 3/4 pint...apparently I didn't weigh enough to give a full pint:eek:!

Pretty stingy of me, I thought!

I'll try again after Christmas[lol].

wi46
13-Oct-07, 18:08
Last time I gave blood I could hardly move my arm for 3 days,not a good advert for my 1st time and last I am afraid.

Alice in Blunderland
13-Oct-07, 18:20
Last time I gave blood I could hardly move my arm for 3 days,not a good advert for my 1st time and last I am afraid.

I sympathise with you on that but ...........at least you could move your arm after three days those in dire need wont be moving anything at all. :( Maybe next time round it wont be the same :D

dirdyweeker
13-Oct-07, 18:27
I sympathise with you on that but ...........at least you could move your arm after three days those in dire need wont be moving anything at all. :( Maybe next time round it wont be the same

well said! I give Platelets every month. You have to go to Raigmore to do it but they are very much needed. I know they are always on the lookout for more platelet donors so where better to put in a wee appeal.
It is also a good excuse to have a monthly look around the shops!! :D

karia
13-Oct-07, 19:34
Like Helen I am deemed too light to give blood, but I well understand the value of it.

I grew up with a best pal who has Haemophilia and who wouldn't have had a chance without blood donors....sadly he also had to deal with Hep. C caused by blood being not properly screened ..he had a horrific year of treatment but is now clear of that at least.

I myself , Haemorrhaged after Loop Diothermy treatment and was very relieved to find that there was blood there for me.

My OH gives blood and I respect, admire and thank, all of you who do, or try to do, the same.

karia

peedie
13-Oct-07, 19:40
i used to give blood but unfortunatley cant anymore. but everyone who can should! it makes such a difference.... and u get tea and a biscuit just to sweeten the deal! :)

tan422
14-Oct-07, 00:15
The last time I went to give blood I couldn't because I had a few coldsores, I was really gutted, that would have been my 3 times promise but next time hopefully:lol:

Debz89
14-Oct-07, 17:27
well said! I give Platelets every month. You have to go to Raigmore to do it but they are very much needed. I know they are always on the lookout for more platelet donors so where better to put in a wee appeal.
It is also a good excuse to have a monthly look around the shops!! :D

i have been giving blood since i have been 17, and am quite interested in donating platelets as i am in Inverness or Aberdeen quite frequently. I realise how much they are needing platelet donars and would like to do my bit. What process do you go through to donate them?

balto
14-Oct-07, 22:51
i gave blood last thursday have done for a few years now, they way i see it is you will never know when you or someone you love needs it. i have also sighned up to give bone marrow, they took my blood sample on thursday night at the same time. these peolpe that say they dont want to incase it hurts should think of this would they turn down blood if they needed it, because they never donated i think not!!!!!!

Julia
14-Oct-07, 23:00
I used to give blood and I'm glad I did as I needed a couple of pints back, but in turn this rules me out from ever donating again! :(

dirdyweeker
14-Oct-07, 23:14
i have been giving blood since i have been 17, and am quite interested in donating platelets as i am in Inverness or Aberdeen quite frequently. I realise how much they are needing platelet donars and would like to do my bit. What process do you go through to donate them?

Just contact the Blood Transfusion unit in either Aberdeen or Inverness and they will sort you out. The whole process is very similar to giving blood but last approx 1 and a half hours. You could always ask at your next session of blood donation if it is due soon.

Margaret M.
15-Oct-07, 01:30
Used to donate blood here but due to Mad Cow disease, anyone who has spent a cumulative total of 3 months in the United Kingdom between 1980 and 1996 cannot be a donor.