PDA

View Full Version : What should i do????

greeneyes
17-Aug-05, 10:52
My child is in p6 and the teacher she has is not good,other parents have complained(from before the hols)even went to the extent of removing their children from that class and putting them to a new school.She has no control over the class and the work they do when they get any is not up to standard.The teacher can be found sitting behind her desk letting the kids run riot,talking on her mobile and handing out sweets.The kids fall behind in their work.

As it is just the beginning of a new term i am reserving judgement until i come across any of these problems,even though the teachers reputation precedes them.
Yes,parents from the previous class have been in repeatedly and what is the head doing?not much from the looks of things.

Would appreciate any suggestions and advice.Thanks

squidge
17-Aug-05, 13:48
Start again witht he headteacher, Be specific and have concrete examples - its no good going along with "mrs so and so says that one day last week the children were badly behaved and not stopped" You need to have specific instances that you can quote to the head teacher to give her something to work on and to be sure that this isnt soimply a "dislike" thing.

If you arent happy with the head teachers response and the school has a school board you can approach the chairperson of the school board and ask for their help in resolving the issue

Alli
17-Aug-05, 16:07
I'd be the same as squidge - go to the head teacher and then futher if you are not happy with the outcome of that.
Can I ask which school we are talking about?

motopitcrew
17-Aug-05, 16:45
in my opinion i woudent go to the head teacher as they employed the person in question
thair is no way they will help you as they wont want to admit making mistakes
just go straight to the education authority

scorrie
17-Aug-05, 19:13
in my opinion i woudent go to the head teacher as they employed the person in question
thair is no way they will help you as they wont want to admit making mistakes
just go straight to the education authority

You need to start with the Head Teacher, they are in charge of the school and need to be given the opportunity to sort things out. The first thing the Education Authority would ask you is if you have reported the matter to the Head of the school and I am sure they would be seriously displeased to find that you had not done so.

Rheghead
17-Aug-05, 20:15
You should wait until you know for sure there is a problem first. Then you can go to the various bodies next.

Of course the last resort is Ofsted, but if there is a problem you can use Ofsted as a bargaining chip before it gets that far.

Naefearjustbeer
17-Aug-05, 20:30
I though Ofsted is an english thing and doesnt cover Scottish schools. I may be wrong though

hereboy
17-Aug-05, 20:52
here is what I would do....

first off, call the local (caithness) education, sports, culture place in Rhind House Wick and talk to the one G Nichol.

You can do this anonymously without saying who you are, what school your child goes to and who the head is etc. Then you ask G Nichol what the protocol is for raising a complaint against a teacher who you feel is not giving your child the quality of education stipulated by the law.

Then you will get the full protocol which probaby as some people have said starts with the headmaster. You'll probably get some pressure to come clean but stand your ground, at this point you are only asking for info, not making a complaint.

scond thing I would do is keep a diary for the first month or so of term, sure it will be just be anecdotal evidence from other parents and your child but it will be the best you can do unless you plan on staking out the classroom.

Armed with your diary, go talk to the head, then if you get no joy keep going up the ladder as per the protocol explained to you by the local education, culture and sports person.

and if anyone tries to bully you at any time during your attempts to get satisfaction just remember the immortal words of Jack Black from "School of Rock"

"Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach PE" :cool:

PS. For all you teachers reading this - I had some excellent teachers in my time by the way - but much like the bakery of life, I had the occasional stale scone too.

cullbucket
17-Aug-05, 21:24
"Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach PE"

Well from my schooldays it was not PE but RE!!!

Luckily that was one subject that I had no use for in later life......[/quote]

greeneyes
18-Aug-05, 11:05
Thanks everyone for your suggestions will keep notes and go to head when the time is right.Would rather not say which school.
Will try the school board as well.Thanks again will keep you all informed.