PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas

chocolatechip
10-Oct-07, 23:42
Hey there orgers I am looking for ideas please in a pratical sense:) I am looking for ideas to help me save some money for a holiday that I am planning to England in May of next year I am totally lost when it comes to saving money. So if anyone has any good ideas it will be a huge help thanks alot :D

Julia
10-Oct-07, 23:52
Do you have a regular sum of money going into your bank account, if so then set up a standing order into a different account, an online saver or an account of a family member or friend you can trust. I save money regularly this way and I make sure it comes out the same day my money comes in, that way I never miss it.

Welcomefamily
10-Oct-07, 23:53
Get a 30 day high interest saving account, at least then you cant withdraw with out notice, so if you get the need to spend you cant..

Dont try saving money by using toilet paper on both sides, you spend more on soap.

madmax
10-Oct-07, 23:59
My way is easy, You buy one o the 99p tins from the 99p shop and put all your loose change in it each day, then on a saturday night if you decide to stay in you put £20 - £40 in it. the odd £5 here and there and it soon mounts up.
The tins have to be opened with a tin opener so as long as ya have some will power you'll be ok.
I used to use mine to pay my hydro and phone bills, its amazing how much it amounts to sometimes.
Last year I put christmas money etc in it too and when I opened it I had nearly £1000 in it.
Far better than putting in bank as the hole in the wall is too handy.

Rheghead
11-Oct-07, 00:01
Hey there orgers I am looking for ideas please in a pratical sense:) I am looking for ideas to help me save some money for a holiday that I am planning to England in May of next year I am totally lost when it comes to saving money. So if anyone has any good ideas it will be a huge help thanks alot :D

I find that if I live like a monk then I manage to save enough for when I need it. Without knowing your spending and living habits it is hard to give advice.

chocolatechip
11-Oct-07, 00:02
Thanks You Guys I' Going To Print This Out And Pin It Up And It Will Help:d

connieb19
11-Oct-07, 00:04
Try living on porridge and toast until you go away and don't put your heating on. ;)

pirateeye
11-Oct-07, 01:44
hey people just adding my 2 cents....i personally know chocolate chip and i can honestly say she is a tough cookie when it comes to money...she's too generous thats her problem...her money goes on other people and never stays in her account. i have tried assisting her save money, like she gave me her debit card but that didn't work because she works just up the road from her bank, where she knows the guys behind the desk well so has no problem with her id and can withdraw from her account...this didn't work
so....i know she will appreciate all the practical tips but lets just hope she can keep it up til may
ok chocichip try cutting down on the spending....this actually does help...or when you go food shopping, only go food shopping:lol:
and as tempting as it is to buy me a gift (shes good with the gifts btw) don't do it as often...:)

mccaugm
11-Oct-07, 10:53
My way is easy, You buy one o the 99p tins from the 99p shop and put all your loose change in it each day, then on a saturday night if you decide to stay in you put £20 - £40 in it. the odd £5 here and there and it soon mounts up.
The tins have to be opened with a tin opener so as long as ya have some will power you'll be ok.
I used to use mine to pay my hydro and phone bills, its amazing how much it amounts to sometimes.
Last year I put christmas money etc in it too and when I opened it I had nearly £1000 in it.
Far better than putting in bank as the hole in the wall is too handy.

Alternatively, I used to get an account set up that I could not access without notice. It also meant I had to actually go into the bank to get the money out. Set up a standing order so the money goes in weekly/monthly.

Also think of ways to save money by recycling etc.

Housewifie
11-Oct-07, 11:30
I think its important when you make a saving to put it in an account as it become more positive as it builds up.

paris
11-Oct-07, 11:32
What part of England are you hoping to holiday in ?? jan x

psyberyeti
11-Oct-07, 21:57
I lived in England for umpteen years - why would anyone want to go there for a holiday?:confused There is nothing to do there.

We've got beaches of white sand, blue/turquiose seas, curly ice creams, fantastic fish and chips, boat trips, horse trekking, hill walking, more beaches of white sand to wriggle your toes in, surfing, fishing, blue skies for much of the time (or at least you can see some blue somewhere on the horizon), great places to eat out. Its not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter (on the coast). I've spent 3 1/2 years on holiday here, broken only by work everyday, and that is not too bad either.

Although I have to admit that my parents came up for 2 days in May in 2005 - the sea mist was so thick between JO'G and Durness that I could not show them any of these great assets, it rained all the time and was bitterly cold. The day after they left the skies were clear blue from horizon to horizon and the sun was cracking the bricks.

How to save money - don't buy 'stuff'. Only buy what you actually need. Do free things like walking, reading etc. Eat porridge.:cool:

catnip
11-Oct-07, 22:24
Instead of buying shower gel just get a bar of soap.
Get the reduced stuff from the shops and stick them in your freezer.
Make a big pan of mince soup that will last ye twa days.

George Brims
12-Oct-07, 01:57
Don't drink bottled water. Tap water is just as good, and you don't contribute to global warming by having people in faraway places ship to you the stuff that falls from the sky with gruesome regularity.

Actually I myself rarely drink water at all unless it has made contact with tea leaves or coffee grounds on its way to me, or better still had intimate relations with barley and yeast.

rockchick
12-Oct-07, 10:01

Here's what I would do:

Figure out how much you want to save...lets say £1000 (just to keep it simple)
Then figure out how many months/payperiods you have in which to save this amount: 6 months (October - April).
So, you need to put aside £1000/6 or £167 a month to achieve this.
I would either set up a standing order from my bank to deposit this amount every month into my savings account, or create a "savings box" (a shoe box I can keep on a bookshelf) and every payday withdraw this amount and deposit it into my savings.
I would also create a spreadsheet where I can keep track of how much I've deposited, and how much further I have to go.
Then, in May, you'll have your money at hand and your holiday!

Victoria
12-Oct-07, 19:15
OOO where are you visiting? If its anywhere here down south then I can recommend some lovely places to spend all your hard erned and saved cash!!

pirateeye
12-Oct-07, 22:57
I lived in England for umpteen years - why would anyone want to go there for a holiday?:confused There is nothing to do there

there is always something to do somewhere when you have family.......shops help to. :)
and i think chocolatechip is planning on going to devon and cornwall as i know thats where the family is, but not sure where else if anywhere else.

chocolatechip
13-Oct-07, 22:05
I am planning to go to the south west of england because I have an uncle down there which i haven't seen in 6 years and cousins so anyway thanks for your help