PDA

View Full Version : Men Only

Welcomefamily
10-Oct-07, 23:24
Women can be odd things? Have you ever brought your wife a nice practical birthday, christmas or anniversary present such as a washing machine or a hoover. What sort of response did you get? I know I would be happy with a new socket set or power drill...comments

anneoctober
10-Oct-07, 23:29
Women can be odd things? Have you ever brought your wife a nice practical birthday, christmas or anniversary present such as a washing machine or a hoover. What sort of response did you get? I know I would be happy with a new socket set or power drill...comments
Can this be the same man that talks of neck massages and fruit dipped in real chocolate ?:eek: Romeo Romeo wherefore art thou Romeo? [lol]

connieb19
10-Oct-07, 23:32
I'd be deloghted with a machine machine or a hoover, it would be miles better than the knitted jumper covered in scottie dogs or the aftershave I got one year. :eek:

Welcomefamily
10-Oct-07, 23:35
This could be a learning experience for me, I might be doing some thing wrong, I could save me money, forget the roses petals, champers and just buy a hoover.

Rheghead
10-Oct-07, 23:36
I bought mrs rheg an extruder for her birthday in August. I bought her a personalised mug one year. One year I did buy her a necklace, it cost me £5.99 from a shop on Mull. I just didn't want her to think I was trying to buy her affections!;)

connieb19
10-Oct-07, 23:38
I bought mrs rheg an extruder for her birthday in August. I bought her a personalised mug one year. I just didn't want her to think I was trying to buy her affections!;)I'm scared to ask but what on earth is an extruder? :o Ma cheeks are burning just thinking about it lol.

Julia
10-Oct-07, 23:39
My sister bought me an electric drill one Christmas and an old boyfriend once bought me a roll of spanners for my birthday, being of the DIY type I was quite happy.

I have got to the age now where I would rather drop large hints on what 'I want' rather than leave it to chance LOL

Rheghead
10-Oct-07, 23:40
I'm scared to ask but what on earth is an extruder? :o Ma cheeks are burning just thinking about it lol.

It is a glorified playdo machine but for clay work.:D

connieb19
10-Oct-07, 23:41
It is a glorified playdo machine but for clay work.:DPhew!!! :lol:

Welcomefamily
10-Oct-07, 23:41
I'd be deloghted with a machine machine or a hoover, it would be miles better than the knitted jumper covered in scottie dogs or the aftershave I got one year. :eek:
I am sure the aftershave was just a mistake, he mis read the label or the lights above the counter fused and he picked up the wrong bottle, its nice that your partner buys you jumpers with scotty dogs on, it shows he is concerned about your appearence. Just remember it could have been worse, the label might have read seconds.

Julia
10-Oct-07, 23:42
it would be miles better than the knitted jumper covered in scottie dogs or the aftershave I got one year. :eek:

Who on earth bought you aftershave?

I bought mrs rheg an extruder for her birthday in August. ;)

Did Mrs Rheg really want an extruder, or was it really for you?

Rheghead
10-Oct-07, 23:46
Did Mrs Rheg really want an extruder, or was it really for you?

Yes as it happens, I thought I was acting out of freewill but she did do a nice insidious mind job on me.:Razz

Welcomefamily
10-Oct-07, 23:46
I bought mrs rheg an extruder for her birthday in August. I bought her a personalised mug one year. One year I did buy her a necklace, it cost me £5.99 from a shop on Mull. I just didn't want her to think I was trying to buy her affections!;)
Its often a case when you ask them what do you want for your birthday? they reply I leave it up to u, you get some its wrong, get nothing its wrong, give money...lack of thought.

Rheghead
10-Oct-07, 23:51
Its often a case when you ask them what do you want for your birthday? they reply I leave it up to u, you get some its wrong, get nothing its wrong, give money...lack of thought.

I know what you mean, she really loved the cheapo pendant because of the location and how I presented it to her. It was all in the presentation![lol]:o I've given up doing 'hallmarked' it just lacks imagination... Though I did buy mrs rheg a silver necklace from the most northerly jeweller in Scotland when I went there on my bicycle, that was an exception though, again I made it a bit different than just going out to a shop or amazon.

Welcomefamily
10-Oct-07, 23:56
I always make lots of effort with the presentation.

*Martin*
11-Oct-07, 01:17
Last year I just got out of hospital a couple of weeks before my missus' birthday. I hadn't been working so I was skint but even if I wasn't skint I was in a wheel chair and had never been outside on my own in it so the results would be the same. I think she was either at work or the shops on the morning of her birthday so I rolled about the house and found things to give her.

Popcorn
Her mobile phone charger (she would be lost without it)
A left shoe (we were going for dinner that night and she needed it)
A tin of beans
A pen
and some other random junk I found

She was never happier....

Rheghead
11-Oct-07, 01:25
Martin! I am just not worthy within your presence!:p

Lolabelle
11-Oct-07, 01:56
Last year I just got out of hospital a couple of weeks before my missus' birthday. I hadn't been working so I was skint but even if I wasn't skint I was in a wheel chair and had never been outside on my own in it so the results would be the same. I think she was either at work or the shops on the morning of her birthday so I rolled about the house and found things to give her.

Popcorn
Her mobile phone charger (she would be lost without it)
A left shoe (we were going for dinner that night and she needed it)
A tin of beans
A pen
and some other random junk I found

She was never happier....

My sister used to do that when she was five, she would go under beds and find "lost" items and wrap them for christmas and birthday presents. And it did please everyone.

As for my better half, he usually buys me jewelry, but as I either lose it or wreck it or don't wear it, it can be a bit of a waste. If he buys me a drill, I don't mind, I just buy him a new quilt for the bed, everyone's happy. [lol]

Welcomefamily
11-Oct-07, 09:29
Its a great idea Martin, I will have to help her lose a few things first.

rockchick
11-Oct-07, 10:05
I'd probably feel the same way about receiving a hoover as Mr. RC would feel about receiving a toilet brush![lol]

Lolabelle
11-Oct-07, 10:43
As for my better half, he usually buys me jewelry, but as I either lose it or wreck it or don't wear it, it can be a bit of a waste. If he buys me a drill, I don't mind, I just buy him a new quilt for the bed, everyone's happy. [lol]

Come to think of it, Dave really needs a new dinner set, the old one is a bit past it. :eek:

Welcomefamily
11-Oct-07, 11:03
Very good I 've not thought of that one yet.

Thumper
11-Oct-07, 11:54
I too have been given aftershave for a christmas prezzie :eek: I did wonder for a while if it was a mistake or was he trying to tell me something lol! I hate getting practical presents...so boring!If you can't buy totally unneeded,very indulgent pressies well I would rather just not get one.I love to be treated and it doesn't have to be expensive but it does have to be thoughtful.If I need a new hoover,washing machine etc then it should be bought as a household item imo,but nice perfume,jewellery,etc will always be recieved gratefully ;) x

Welcomefamily
11-Oct-07, 12:01
I think thats the Golden Rule number 1, its not the cost but the thought and effort what goes into it.

BRIE
11-Oct-07, 12:26
My ex husband once bought me a hoover for christmas, I wasnt impressed! He always used to buy me presents that we either needed for the house or that he wanted himself even after I wrote him a list of ideas:lol:

lady penelope
11-Oct-07, 12:50
I always get great pressies.I've had a dolls house,a spinning wheel , and lots of other girlie things!
This year I'd like the degus or binoculars. Oh and the decorating finished please:D

mums angels
11-Oct-07, 14:24
Don't think i'd be too happy with hoover or washing machine as they are neccessitis not pressies , however for the last few years i've been asking hubby for a new dining table or a new fireplace but i've been getting necklaces , laptop etc all i've been very happy with ...this year i'm finally getting my new table (only because little one needs seat of own now that he won't go in high chair ) :lol:

Errogie
11-Oct-07, 18:47
We needed a new wheelbarrow and her birthday was coming up so I managed to get a very up to date modern one with a ball at the front, a ball barrow, and only just got away with it. There was a slight air of puzzlement and a little tension but then next year I'm afraid really blew it with the rather appealing wooden pig bought on impulse on the way home from an office party. Now trying to stick to safe and conventional presents, but who knows?

psyberyeti
11-Oct-07, 21:23
My new wifie (when we were young and poor) used to work in Blackwells bookshop in the middle of Oxford. Best clothes for work. She complained that getting up into our Landrover for me to take her to the station was getting mud on her skirt. I had an excellent idea.

For valentines day I presented her with a kick up/down step and then I spent an hour under the car drilling bits and fitting it. I was very proud.:)

It's strange, but she has never let me forget it.[evil]

My other great idea was free - I was at an exhibition of packaging for medical equipment. One lady was showing how their new sealing blister pack machine worked. I saw some red linen roses on her stand, and I thought, quite quickley for me, and asked if the heat from the machine would damage the product? She said 'no' so I whipped out a rose and asked her to demonstrate. She sealed the rose in the blister pack and handed it to me. Yippee - good idea, unusual and free.

I'm not exactly sure what wifies reaction meant... She still has it, which is good, I think. It's just the way she looks at it when she unearths it every now and then.

It looks like 'useful' does not = 'good'.

horseman
11-Oct-07, 22:03
I presented mrs h with-a pussy cat,a doggy cat,a birdy cat-a love bird?+ offered a horsey cat,got a rude reply on that one so it was a tool kit that year-the full monty, box an all,an she loved that,still gets regulary used:D