PDA

View Full Version : music shop?

moncur
10-Oct-07, 20:17
a little birdie tells me theres a music shop opening on friday in princes street. Anyone know if this is definite?

Mystical Potato Head
10-Oct-07, 20:21
it's definite

we passed by today and spoke to the woman outside who said they were opening on Friday

theone
11-Oct-07, 21:31
a music shop or a cd shop?

Metalattakk
12-Oct-07, 00:11
My guess is it would have to be a music shop, as any shop selling CDs these days is straight on to a loser as they simply can't compete with Amazon or the ubiquitous torrent files.

Would be nice to be able to get guitar strings (singular) as and when required though. ;)

theone
12-Oct-07, 00:33
My guess is it would have to be a music shop, as any shop selling CDs these days is straight on to a loser as they simply can't compete with Amazon or the ubiquitous torrent files.

Would be nice to be able to get guitar strings (singular) as and when required though. ;)

A mate of mine is trying to learn the geetar. He was asking me for a plectrum the other night, his other options were a trip to dingwall or ebay..........

Jeid
12-Oct-07, 00:47
I have to admit, the temptations of eBay are too great tbh. I use Elixir strings and they cost around £15 a packet(I've had the same strings on since July and they still sound as good as new and ain't rusting yet) in the UK. I can get 3 packs imported from the States for under £20. Even when I was playing with less expensive strings, I could get ten packs for £20 including delivery.

It will however be well handy for musicians looking to grab something quickly and for the up and coming musician.

Good luck to them, I wish them all the best.

Jeemag_USA
12-Oct-07, 02:07
A mate of mine is trying to learn the geetar. He was asking me for a plectrum the other night, his other options were a trip to dingwall or ebay..........

I very rarely if ever buy plectrums, I always make my own, i make them from plastic I can find, cut out the shapes that I want in various thicknesses and also have made some from solid brass and alluminium, its pretty easy. Don't waster your money buying picks, tell him not to either, rip up a milk carton or a detergent bottle ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Oct-07, 16:50
Support your local shops, guys and gals. The standard of living is pretty high in Caithness, am sure you can afford it.

fred
12-Oct-07, 19:02

You can make your own with a tortoise and a cheese grater.

Mr P Cannop
12-Oct-07, 22:45
when does this shop open ??

K dragon
12-Oct-07, 22:45
im glad we have a new music shop but i was not impressed. it has "guitars" and one or two amps, sure more were in the back. the strings behind the counter were aplenty....but all acoustic. its really smal(no big deal really) i just hope thatthey will listen to the public and maybe get a few other items in....i.e some ernie ball strings...gauge 9-42 lol

hint hint.

Jeid
12-Oct-07, 22:48
You play with elastic bands boyo

loganbiffy
13-Oct-07, 12:25
Mmmm some D'addario strings would be nice, why do they only have acoustic strings?

Mind you i could do with some Martin & Co. acoustic strings too.

Mr P Cannop
13-Oct-07, 12:46
where is this music shop ??

Metalattakk
13-Oct-07, 13:00
It's where Luciani's photography place used to be, bottom of Princes Street.

Mr P Cannop
13-Oct-07, 13:03
ok thanks is it open yet ??

huh
13-Oct-07, 13:44
Is it just instruments? Woolies kinda (really) sucks for CDs. All chart pap.

Deemac
13-Oct-07, 14:11
ok thanks is it open yet ??

So which part of "opened on Friday" haven't you quite grasped yet!!

I've just been for a visit.

The lady serving was very friendly. They are still waiting on quite alot of stock to arrive so its quite spartan just now, but they appear to be interested in selling local band CDs etc (though their CD display was very small). I hope it gets local support as a county devoid of any such facility is pretty pathetic really.

(I suspect I'll still have to get my Protools HD3 Accel rig with ICON surface controller elsewhere!!):eek:

zebedy
14-Oct-07, 12:28
im glad we have a new music shop but i was not impressed. it has "guitars" and one or two amps, sure more were in the back. the strings behind the counter were aplenty....but all acoustic. its really smal(no big deal really) i just hope thatthey will listen to the public and maybe get a few other items in....i.e some ernie ball strings...gauge 9-42 lol

hint hint.

i heard that its ment to have alot more, just didn't get all of it's stock because of the postal strike!

so hopfully it will be kickin soon enough!
i hope!
get some vic firth 7a's in about it biy! so i dont have to travel to inverness! haha

K dragon
15-Oct-07, 19:58
elastic bands lol

yeah i guess so.

any sugeestions for some good strings, fancy a change.

at te moment im centered around a clean sound.

i play a semi electric, not electirc acoustic lol

any hints jeid?

Jeid
15-Oct-07, 22:40
I use light top heavy bottoms. I don't play acoustics so I've got no idea.

spurtle
16-Oct-07, 11:32
Does anyone know if they'll be selling sheet music?

K dragon
16-Oct-07, 13:42
they had a good dose of music books. some looked haggard as anything though, i opened one and half the pages fell out!! but there was a good selction. but again i got th vibe that it was more traditional folk and scottish music.

buddyrich
16-Oct-07, 17:52
It's owned by the same guy who has the dingwall one apparently.

I was in orkney a few weeks back, theres a pretty good instrument shop in kirkwall which davem and i managed to knock things over in.

Deemac
16-Oct-07, 19:16
As long as its not the same lot that had the last music shop in Thurso (Good Vibrations - Record Shack).

They closed down without returning 20 Whisky CD's and didn't bother to inform me (Even though they had my Invoice details from previous transactions - In my book that is theft!!)[evil]

roblovesplastic
18-Oct-07, 21:27
They closed down without returning 20 Whisky CD's and didn't bother to inform me

Now there’s an obsessive fan eh?

I hope it’s a shop that sells guitar strings, drum sticks and actual musical instrument type hardware, and software.

No point in selling CD's, cater to the musician and music enthusiast.

Get limited edition vinyl
Get HTFR
Integrate with the local music dudes

Mr P Cannop
29-Oct-07, 15:38
for your info their number is 890566

Deemac
29-Oct-07, 17:18
for your info their number is 890566

As ever Mr. P Cannop, your contribution is completely self explanatory!!

I assume the number is a telephone number (without STD code)

I also assume that the number is for the Pentland Music shop.

(though, these are mear guesses based on this thread).

Ash
29-Oct-07, 17:31
As ever Mr. P Cannop, your contribution is completely self explanatory!!

I assume the number is a telephone number (without STD code)

I also assume that the number is for the Pentland Music shop.

haha made me laugh!!!:lol:

im afraid Mr P Cannop old posts to up his number of posts, very obvious

Chobbersjnr
29-Oct-07, 17:32
could've whacked me out with a feather when I had a look & saw that they Vic Firth sticks not only that there was sig. models as well. Dave Weckle & Steve Gadd in particular. They had Ernie Balls & Dean Markley for electric, Earthwood & Martin for acoustic. A selection of Jim Dunlop picks & an apparent open mind for ordering stuff for the local people with particular wants

Now a small shop it might be with a limited stock but it's better than nothing when you need a set of strings for tonight.....or sticks (thanks Deemac) for a recording session!!!!!

& catering for traditionalists first & foremost is understandable given that they are an accordian driven family. Heck the dude's into Jazz accordian......interesting

all we need in there is a selection of drum heads......

Chobbersjnr
29-Oct-07, 17:34
They closed down without returning 20 Whisky CD's and didn't bother to inform me

Now there’s an obsessive fan eh?

we have loads of them........the one in question here just happens to be da drum basher in the band

20 CDs is also a fair wee wedge when it's all added up

Mr P Cannop
29-Oct-07, 17:47
01847 890566

Deemac
29-Oct-07, 19:43
01847 890566

Aahh, I see my subtle wit and charm is completeely lost here!!!!:eek:

Kev_Plastic_Food
29-Oct-07, 21:53
Aahh, I see my subtle wit and charm is completeely lost here!!!!:eek:

Perhaps your wit and charm also took your spellchecker with them when they were lost? :)