PDA

View Full Version : The Kilt As Everyday Wear

karia
10-Oct-07, 19:31
Hi Folks,

Saw a man in a kilt (and big clumpy boots) doing his shopping in Morrisons in Falkirk this afternoon. His wife was dressed quite normally so I don't think they had been to an 'event'.

To be frank he looked both silly and chilly!...(also a bit 'show offy!':roll:)

Your views on the kilt as everyday garb please.

Karia

Alice in Blunderland
10-Oct-07, 19:43
Bring it on I say and they must all be true Scotsmen ........now let the North Wind blow :eek::lol:

Victoria
10-Oct-07, 19:43
i work with loads of scots who always roll out the kilt garb at the christmas party.

i keep telling them that they're not proper scots unless they wear it to work!!!

karia
10-Oct-07, 19:48
i work with loads of scots who always roll out the kilt garb at the christmas party.

i keep telling them that they're not proper scots unless they wear it to work!!!

Quite right!:eek:

Its not fancy dress....or is it?;)

karia

Lavenderblue2
10-Oct-07, 19:56
Hi Folks,

Saw a man in a kilt (and big clumpy boots) doing his shopping in Morrisons in Falkirk this afternoon. His wife was dressed quite normally so I don't think they had been to an 'event'.

Karia

I don't agree with you at all Karia - I like to see the kilt worn in everyday life.
Nobody wore it better than the late Lord Thurso and he wore it everyday with trainers, wellies or proper shoes and he never looked silly and I am sure he was never chilly.

LB

golach
10-Oct-07, 19:56
The Kilt as we know it today is not a proper Highlanders kilt, but a Georgian idea of a kilt that was only worn by the gentry, as the wearing of the tartan was banned after the battle of Culloden.
We in the Capital see kilts in every shape and size and every nationality under the sun wearing them, everyday.
The shops selling most kilts in the Royal Mile are all owned by the same family of Sikhs and its strange to see a kilted Sikh wearing a turban dashing across the Lawnmarket from one shop to the other with an armful of kilts or sporrans, but hey why not

Dynamic Sounds
10-Oct-07, 20:34
I remember when I was younger seeing Robin Sinclair, the late Lord Thurso, always wearing his kilt. I remember someone saying that he used to have a working kilt that he wore about the place.

karia
10-Oct-07, 20:37
I don't agree with you at all Karia - I like to see the kilt worn in everyday life.
Nobody wore it better than the late Lord Thurso and he wore it everyday with trainers, wellies or proper shoes and he never looked silly and I am sure he was never chilly.

LB

With respect Lavender Blue, Lord Thurso is hardly an example of ordinary kilt wear and its place in today's society...he wasnae poppin' doon tae the co-op or taking the bairns to school...he was reminding you of his status!:D

Glad that you enjoyed his style and flair though!

golach..I totally prefer the plaid worn the way it should be and don't suspect that anyone would be less than impressed with that..
....even in Morrisons!;)

karia

Anne x
10-Oct-07, 20:45

LB

The late Lord Thurso was a extremely handsome man and suited the Kilt as does many a man long short tall thin fat as does the green lovat type kilt in plain fabric suit many a working man gamekeeper or poacher wear it with pride I saw as long as the wearer is comfortable

Dadie
10-Oct-07, 21:02
Doctor Fraser in thurso seems to wear a kilt to work everyday!

karia
10-Oct-07, 21:03
The late Lord Thurso was a extremely handsome man and suited the Kilt as does many a man long short tall thin fat as does the green lovat type kilt in plain fabric suit many a working man gamekeeper or poacher wear it with pride I saw as long as the wearer is comfortable

Indeed Anne,

I was looking at more contemporary wear and less of the D.H Lawrence stuff!

But it is plain to see that many a girlish heart has been swayed by the swish o' the tartan.....in it's time!

So what about now?

Appealing or appalling?

The kilt in future years....discuss!

The Lord Thurso fan club can rest assured that we have taken note of their stance.;)

(will I be ex-communicated forthwith?):)

karia

squidge
10-Oct-07, 21:32
My partner is 32 and wears his kilt at every available opportunity. He wears it with a t shirt kilt socks and Doc marten boots if we are going to the pub or friends for dinner - he wears it with a shirt he bought in India kilt socks and Doc Marten boots if we are going out to dinner and only as formal dress with the whole thing when we are doing something more formal - wedding or the like. He loves wearing it he says it is warm and yet cool depending on how wide apart you place your feet;)

I love to see the kilt worn as everyday wear - and if the reactions are anything to judge so do lots of other people - the number of times people - and its usually other men - say something like "great to see the kilt" i have lost count. I think its fab and i would suggest more guys try it and see how it feels

Housewifie
10-Oct-07, 21:38
I think its wonderful as formal dress.

karia
10-Oct-07, 21:47
My partner is 32 and wears his kilt at every available opportunity. He wears it with a t shirt kilt socks and Doc marten boots if we are going to the pub or friends for dinner - he wears it with a shirt he bought in India kilt socks and Doc Marten boots if we are going out to dinner and only as formal dress with the whole thing when we are doing something more formal - wedding or the like. He loves wearing it he says it is warm and yet cool depending on how wide apart you place your feet;)

I love to see the kilt worn as everyday wear - and if the reactions are anything to judge so do lots of other people - the number of times people - and its usually other men - say something like "great to see the kilt" i have lost count. I think its fab and i would suggest more guys try it and see how it feels

Great stuff Squidge...and we can tell it works for you!;)

Some guys just seem 'right' with it and 'wear it well!' but a lot of the time, especially down here in Central, it is a 'showing off'*and only worn for the attention brought about by the knees.

*mostly by folks with no idea of its importance or significance..and certainly none of its history!

Karia

Victoria
10-Oct-07, 21:51
Just watching the Pride of Britain and the 4 lads from Glasgow have all got their kilts on.

Dadie
10-Oct-07, 21:53
1 small word to get all kilt wearers quaking in their boots -

midgies:eek:

Welcomefamily
10-Oct-07, 21:56
I worn one to a few cornish weddings, you often see people wearing the Cornish Hunting Tartan down there, on Sundays at Church, Ive seen a number of Rugby clubs having their players wearing them for club tours etc. I think it looks quite smart a Rugby top and a kilt with docs.

horseman
10-Oct-07, 21:57
I'm wondering squidge if you are my nephew's wife?
Your lad sounds a dead ringer for him-lovely lad:)

Welcomefamily
10-Oct-07, 21:58
And you dont get Midges so you can be (insect) bite free

Rheghead
10-Oct-07, 22:00
"Yes dear, I will just finish off this weeding, can you get my boilersuit washed and ironed if we're going out tonight?"

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/Rheghead/Russell.jpg

Victoria
10-Oct-07, 22:03
*wolf whistle* ;)

WeeBurd
10-Oct-07, 22:03
I love the kilt worn casually (think "Duncan" from Monarch of The Glen), and we should definitely see more of it about. I think the problem is that chaps try too hard with it sometimes, and it ends up looking showy.

MrBurd wears his with black shirt/tie/socks for weddings, and with short sleeve shirt/t-shirt & clumpy boots for less informal gatherings. He'll be wearing his Scotland shirt & a Glengarry (sp?) this weekend though [lol].

Important note: it should never be worn with a Jacobite shirt, unless it's for re-enactment purposes only :eek:. Just my opinion mind!

karia
10-Oct-07, 22:05
"Yes dear, I will just finish off this weeding, can you get my boilersuit washed and ironed if we're going out to night?"

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/Rheghead/Russell.jpg

Is that yourself?

Oft times we have wondered!;)

Karia

Victoria
10-Oct-07, 22:15
Another one with a kilt on on the Pride of Britain...Mmmmmmm

getting very spoilt now!!

emb123
10-Oct-07, 22:23
I've seen a few older folk (not out here tho') wearing more traditional garb including kilts and I agree it's a good thing although so few have the nerve (to brave the looks, the laughs and the nasty jokes) or feel the inclination these days it's becoming anachronistic. It shouldn't be just a fancy dress to show you're the ceremonial Scot doing the traditional Scottish fancy dress thing.

It would be good to see more younger folks less nervous about wearing traditional clothing, or indeed whatever they wanted to wear to break the shackles of popular opinion or peer-pressure.

karia
10-Oct-07, 22:32
I've seen a few older folk (not out here tho') wearing more traditional garb including kilts and I agree it's a good thing although so few have the nerve (to brave the looks, the laughs and the nasty jokes) or feel the inclination these days it's becoming anachronistic. It shouldn't be just a fancy dress to show you're the ceremonial Scot doing the traditional Scottish fancy dress thing.

It would be good to see more younger folks less nervous about wearing traditional clothing, or indeed whatever they wanted to wear to break the shackles of popular opinion or peer-pressure.

Aye Indeed!

We are all little clones wearing stuff from Top Shop or Next and hoping that we are getting it right but forgetting that imagination and style are inherent...and cannae be learnt.

My mum could throw a scarf or a belt at an outfit..twist this ..knot that and voila!:)

I don't have that talent...but boy do I envy it!

karia

Julia
10-Oct-07, 22:40
It's nice to see a man in his kilt, I once interviewed Lord Thurso who was wearing a red sweatshirt, kilt and green wellies, I will never forget it. Karia stop rolling your eyes :lol:

One of my pet peeves however is seeing the kilt worn incorrectly, it never amazes me how many male wedding-goers haven't a clue how to wear it 'properly' or how to tie the laces of their brogues.

helenwyler
10-Oct-07, 22:45
When I was very little I had a lovely kilt which I really loved, and was sad to grow out of:(...

...I've sometimes thought since then that I'd like to wear one again...with long boots and a snazzy wrap!!

Maybe this is a bit odd...perhaps only in England do parents dress their little girls in kilts[lol]...I'm part Caithness descended though!

karia
10-Oct-07, 22:48
[quote=Julia;281685]It's nice to see a man in his kilt, I once interviewed Lord Thurso who was wearing a red sweatshirt, kilt and green wellies, I will never forget it. Karia stop rolling your eyes!

Not at all Julia!:eek:

Do you think that you were all served the same 'coffee' by any chance?;)

kariaxx

Anne x
10-Oct-07, 22:50
Kilts are for everyone be it with brogues shoes or Kinky boots or latest name for them !!! somehat about -- boots plaids or whatever Vivian Westwood making a big thing on them this season but no patch to a highlander in highland dress

anneoctober
10-Oct-07, 22:54
The best 'photo of my hubby and both sons, yes you've guessed it - was in their kilts at a family wedding. They stood proud and tall with a firm stance.;) I have the 'photo up on the office wall and has been admired , for the handsome trio that they are, by Caithnessians and "tourists" alike. Bring it on I say whether it's informal or not ![lol]

karia
10-Oct-07, 23:02
When I was very little I had a lovely kilt which I really loved, and was sad to grow out of..

...I've sometimes thought since then that I'd like to wear one again...with long boots and a snazzy wrap!!

Maybe this is a bit odd...perhaps only in England do parents dress their little girls in kilts..I'm part Caithness descended though!

Not at all!

My mum, now in her 80's remembers me in a wee tartan pinafore.;)

McIntosh tartan..we were Irish bred and the Mc or Mac is very important..

I am a MacPherson and a Maxwell on the other side.

I like to keep my husbands knees between me and him..where they belong!

karia

JAWS
10-Oct-07, 23:33
Not something I've tried, English knees you see, or rather don't see! Personally I can't see anything wrong with wearing the kilt as everyday wear.
Once you have seen a Zulu in full traditional dress accompanied by a woolly cardigan you find very little strange in the clothing line.

helenwyler
10-Oct-07, 23:43
My mum, now in her 80's remembers me in a wee tartan pinafore.;)

I had tartan pinnies too...but did little girls wear kilts:eek:??

Or were my parents beguiled by the tourist shops?

George Brims
11-Oct-07, 01:25
I very nearly bought myself a non-tartan kilt that is on sale over here in the US. It was made of a black material somewhat like denim in weight, and had as many pockets as a fisherman's waistcoat. Looked a very practical thing (except for climbing up ladders). Can't remember why I didn't buy it actually (may have been the look of horror when I showed it to Mrs B.).

There's an Irish-American band from Orange County California called the Fenians that has a very large bloke on drums who wears a plain moss green kilt. Fortunately he also has a very large bass drum in front of his wee stool.

Oddquine
11-Oct-07, 01:26
My sister and I had Red Fraser tartan kilts for Sunday wear as children.........worn with arran cardigans or sweaters.............funnily enough,though, I don't remember my brother wearing a kilt as a child.

Lolabelle
11-Oct-07, 02:13
I love the kilt worn casually (think "Duncan" from Monarch of The Glen), and we should definitely see more of it about.

Absolutely, Duncan and his kilt is what won me over to Scotland rather that Ireland (my ancestral home) for my novel.

And do you mean to say that all the morgers are not at this minute wearing a kilt, ah well, actually as it as 2.03am there you are all likely wearing a quilt [lol], but during the day. I am disappointed, all my illusions are shattered. I had such nice images of everyone running aroond the place with their knees out.
You see a lot of knees here in Oz, Dave wears shorts most of the year. Pulls overalls on if he needs longens.

Jeemag_USA
11-Oct-07, 02:29
Hi Folks,

Karia

Silly!! Oh you blaspheme, no man can ever look silly in a Kilt! Yes bring it on!

Just don't start wearing those Utility Kilts that have become popular in certain areas of Los Angeles please :L

Angela
11-Oct-07, 09:59
I had tartan pinnies too...but did little girls wear kilts??

Or were my parents beguiled by the tourist shops?

Not necessarily, helen, I also had a kilt....in the appropriate Macleod ("ancient", not "dress") tartan. Complete with kiltpin! I really liked it and was sorry when I grew out of it. I had a pair of tartan trews as well -girls didn't wear trousers so much then of course, so they were quite liberating! ;)

Must say I really like to see men wearing kilts for everyday, and I know quite a few who do....even here in the metropolis. So I'm afraid I to disagree with you, karia, it looks quite natural to me, not silly at all. :)

bekisman
11-Oct-07, 10:03
Cornwall has a history of kilts and tartans. There is early evidence of the use of kilts in Cornish as seen on the bench end at Altarnun dated circa 1510. Cornish tartans have been revived in the 20th Century. The first modern kilt was plain black, and other patterns followed... The use of kilts in Cornwall dates back several centuries. There are some carvings showing kilts, but the style is not necessarily the same as the Scottish-style kilts worn today. Debate has also existed about whether the kilts should use tartan, it has been argued that plain black kilts should be worn. However the most common kilt used is a pleated Scottish-style with a leather Duchy of Cornwall, shield-style sporran. The Cornish National tartan was designed by E.E Morton Nance using colours traditionally associated with Cornwall. Fragments of ancient tartan were found in Penwith.

nikki
11-Oct-07, 11:02
My boyfriend bought a kilt for the prom and liked it so much he wore it for days after aswell. He's planning on wearing it to "The Black Crusade" a metal(? im not quite sure if its classed as metal or rock) concert.Not sure if thats a good idea though. I dont really think kilts and mosh-pits are a very clever mix. Lol.

paris
11-Oct-07, 11:30
There's nothing nicer than to see a Scot's man in his kilt any time . Jan x

gollach
11-Oct-07, 12:02
There used to be a minister is Strathy who always wore a kilt. David Mackenzie from the Malcolm and Tait newsagent shop in Thurso always wore a kilt as well.

Lavenderblue2
11-Oct-07, 14:49
There used to be a minister is Strathy who always wore a kilt. David Mackenzie from the Malcolm and Tait newsagent shop in Thurso always wore a kilt as well.

Yes Gollach - wasn't he the Rev Maule-Brown? Not too sure of the correct spelling but I believe he was the father of Mrs K Warner the Halkirk ministers wife.

LB

jings00
11-Oct-07, 17:01
kilts are brilliant, love to see folk wearin a kilt, whether for goin out somewhere or just kickin about. kilts rock.

Errogie
11-Oct-07, 18:31
The best thing you can say about a kilt is that you can acheive a dressed up effect at funerals, weddings, birthdays, christenings and any sort of presentation but if you turn it into everyday wear it looses its "scare" value and you need a much larger wardrobe.

Off course the further you travel into the gaelic speaking extremities of Scotland and the northern isles the less likely you are to meet a local wearing a kilt. The Royal Mile is the epicentre of the phenomena and of course where George (third I think) launched the current fashion. I gave up the kilt and Sunday school simultaneously although it was a toss up which was the more detested experience.

So long as they don't frighten horses or molest children I don't have a problem but I do wonder if some wearers have an identity crisis.

karia
11-Oct-07, 18:40
Hi Errogie,

An amusing and may I say BRAVE post!:eek:

Word to the wise from the one who started this...dinnae answer the door tonight!

It will almost certainly be that the Lord Thurso fan club have come for ye![lol]

karia

golach
11-Oct-07, 19:28
The Royal Mile is the epicentre of the phenomena and of course where George (third I think) launched the current fashion.
So long as they don't frighten horses or molest children I don't have a problem but I do wonder if some wearers have an identity crisis.
Errogie, Cough cough, twas George IV actually, when he was persuaded to visit Scotland in 1822, and he wore pink tights under his kilt also, as he did not want his Scottish subjects seeing his legs.[lol]

Angela
11-Oct-07, 19:30
The Royal Mile is the epicentre of the phenomena and of course where George (third I think) launched the current fashion. I gave up the kilt and Sunday school simultaneously although it was a toss up which was the more detested experience.

Errogie, it was George IV who arrived at Leith wearing, I believe, pink tights beneath his kilt...the whole "tartanry" thing was a PR exercise by our own Sir Walter Scott, to entice the king to Scotland. Before that -as golach mentioned in an earlier post - the wearing of Highland dress had been banned following Culloden.

I can understand that compulsory kilt wearing in childhood might be a dreadful experience - my first husband and his brother were dressed in Campbell tartan kilts, as wee boys on The Isle of Wight! :eek: I don't think the experience inclined them towards wearing kilts once they had a choice not to.

The men I know in Edinburgh who wear a kilt for everyday seem quite normal people though, and I do like men in kilts! :)

Anne x
11-Oct-07, 19:33
Hi Errogie,

An amusing and may I say BRAVE post!:eek:

Word to the wise from the one who started this...dinnae answer the door tonight!

It will almost certainly be that the Lord Thurso fan club have come for ye![lol]

karia

Laugh out Loud

karia
11-Oct-07, 19:44
Laugh out Loud

Thank you Anne,

They often gie themselves awae wi' a wee involuntary skirl as they are waiting!:D

I am SO dead!

Pushes wardrobe and other heavy items against the door and takes to the roof..totally forgetting about the upstairs neighbours..or 'hostages to fortune' as they are now![lol]

karia

wifie
11-Oct-07, 23:03
Where do I start.......
Karia> As I actually knew the late Lord Thurso a show off he certainly was not, a lovely gentleman - absolutely! Also kilts are not chilly - OH says they are very warm.
Welcomefamily> Correct - rugby shirt and kilt - A1 attire.
Jaws> Zulus in cardis! The power of LK Today stretches far! (Lorraine Kelly - surely queen of the cardi.)
Oddquine> You too? There if a pic of me in a kilt (which later became my scarf in Bay City Rollers days and is still tucked away in a drawer as I still find it hard to part with - not for BCR reasons) but strangely not one of my brother.
And for anyone who thinks the young are not keen on kilts my nephew who is 18 has worn one to many events and with a velvet jacket no less. Won't say what his mother thinks of that but he is a good looking guy and I think he looks great!
Kilts for everyday wear - bring it on!

Oddquine
11-Oct-07, 23:17
I was thinking that a thread in the photography forum of selves or family all kilted up might be a laugh. I think I have one somewhere of me in mine!

karia
11-Oct-07, 23:37
Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to this thread.

I confess to being a bit provocative but was genuinely interested in the outcome..and I am glad that the kilt came out as a winner.

For myself, and as I have shared with others, I reckon that the chosen footwear makes a big difference to the 'look'.

Those who got it very right ..or horribly wrong!......

You'll have heard from me by now!;)

kariax

Anne x
11-Oct-07, 23:39
got to be brogues Karia to get ""The Look""

karia
11-Oct-07, 23:41

Footwear..I rest my case!;)

kariax

Anne x
11-Oct-07, 23:43
Bless !!!no jimmy choos for the kilt

theone
12-Oct-07, 00:02
Wore my kilt with pride at Oktoberfest this year.

Seeing the arrivals lounge in Munich you'd excuse the locals for thinking the "Schottenrock" wasn't normal attire.

Kenn
12-Oct-07, 00:54
There is ABSOLUTELY nothing like the swing of a kilt above a pair of good legs in white stockings..(Slavers).. he he.
Although what we see today as Highland Dress is a falsehood compared to what was historically worn, there is definitely a cause to be pleaded for mannies in skirts.
Well I am mere sassenach or sawsenak in my language but I'm all for any sort of dress that identifies a race.
Flex 'em calf muscles men, wiggle 'em hips!
Hey did the late Lord Thurso have a red beard and if not, who was the mannie who used to walk down Trail Street some 25yrs back in kilt, tweed jacket an' all?

George Brims
12-Oct-07, 01:40

Whit? No wellies?

oldmarine
12-Oct-07, 02:05
While working at the Thurso Navy Base, I often visited Castletown. There I saw the proprieter at a hotel wearing Kilts everytime I visited. He wore them quite well and it was impressive to me. It made me think of Scotland of its long past.

golach
12-Oct-07, 09:24
Lol Anne x , your such an owld traditionalist, trainers and DM's are the in footwear now

Anne x
12-Oct-07, 09:29
Ah golach widna do if all the traditions fell by the wayside enough gone already

Errogie
12-Oct-07, 14:10
Karia, here's one for the fan club.

I used to work for the late Lord Thurso and always recall a visiting American coming out with the memorable expression "that man could charm the knickers of a nun" and I don't think it was entirely down to his kilt, but it prabably helped.

Errogie
12-Oct-07, 14:16
Gollach, thanks for the historical correction. of course it was George fourth rather than third.
I seem to remember that the third was recorded in my history book as simply being deaf, blind, and insane whereas the fourth George was clearly getting better when the only outward display of cumulative inbreeding was this well recorded tendency to cross dress.

Thumper
12-Oct-07, 14:54
While working at the Thurso Navy Base, I often visited Castletown. There I saw the proprieter at a hotel wearing Kilts everytime I visited. He wore them quite well and it was impressive to me. It made me think of Scotland of its long past.

Ahh oldmarine I had nearly forgotten about Sandy Ross!Yes you are right he did wear it every day! x

northener
12-Oct-07, 15:52
Kilts, very smart. As long as they're not been worn by people trying to be Scots.

Cornwall has a history of kilts and tartans. There is early evidence of the use of kilts in Cornish as seen on the bench end at Altarnun dated circa 1510. Cornish tartans have been revived in the 20th Century. The first modern kilt was plain black, and other patterns followed... The use of kilts in Cornwall dates back several centuries. There are some carvings showing kilts, but the style is not necessarily the same as the Scottish-style kilts worn today. Debate has also existed about whether the kilts should use tartan, it has been argued that plain black kilts should be worn. However the most common kilt used is a pleated Scottish-style with a leather Duchy of Cornwall, shield-style sporran. The Cornish National tartan was designed by E.E Morton Nance using colours traditionally associated with Cornwall. Fragments of ancient tartan were found in Penwith.

Interesting points, Bekisman.

Where does check design end and tartan begin?

Do the Cornish sources attribute any of these checks that have been discovered to a particular family or clan? My understanding is that it is only a Tartan if it can be proven to be worn by a certain family or group.

Celtic and Briton check patterns are recorded quite a bit, but it doesn't make them tartans.

Any further info in your source?

Also, would it be correct to call them kilts?

bekisman
12-Oct-07, 17:34
Hi Northerner
I 'aint getting into this too deep (I'm entitled to wear the Robertson, nuff said) I do also have a Cornish tartan tie - which incidentally was 'borrowed' - as he had forgotten his own - from me by an SNP chap who was standing for Highland Councillor (he got in) and he explained to enquirers that the tie was a 'Celtic Connections tie'. BUT as it says below, the tartan came over to Scotland from Ireland initially, yet it also says the Scots did not wear kilts till 1600's? it's one of those things like religion or politics..
Anyway bit below;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A794405 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A794405) Tartan is associated the world over with the kilt, the national dress of Scotland, and the history of both goes hand in hand. Tartan is a material that can be woven from many colours, and originally it was a sort of 'uniform', the distinguishing feature of the many clans in the Highlands and islands of Scotland. Although there are various forms of tartan or clan 'uniforms', so to speak, throughout the world, the origins of the clans of Scotland and their distinctive tartan dress can be traced as far back as the middle of the 5th Century to Ireland, where the Scots originated. And to this day, these origins are still wrapped in debate and controversy. ...Tartan did indeed originate in Ireland, and it was then introduced to the then unnamed country of Scotland by the Scots, who moved from Ireland to re-found their ancient kingdom, Dalriada. It was they who gave Scotland its name. The very first form of tartan is nothing like its modern day counterpart, being a type of shirt that ended just above the knee, known as léine in Irish Gaelic. It is generally accepted that it was made of linen, and although the earliest references to this garment describe it as light-coloured, it may have been of a darker yellow shade which led to the English describing it as a saffron shirt

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/celt-clothing/

Most people in the SCA believe that the kilt is the ancient traditional dress of the Scots. However, this is not true. The traditional dress of the Scots is very similar to that worn by the Irish. According to McClintock, up to the year 1600 the Scots wore a saffron shirt (similar to a léine), a mantle, at times tartan trews, and possibly a short woolen jacket. The dress is very similar to that of the Irish.

A number of extracts from period writings detail to some degree what the Highlanders wore. The following is a brief breakdown of some of them (McClintock, 1950 p. 12).
Major -- 1521
Saffron Shirt
mantle or plaid ("Chlamys")
"Pannus lineus" worn in battle and daubed with pitch. probably a quilted and padded linen coat serving the purpose of armor
Barelegged from middle of thigh
The King's Highland Suit -- 1538
Short Highland jacket of velvet
Tartan trews
long Highland shirt
Jean de Beaugue -- 1548-9
Dyed shirt
Mantle or plaid ("couverture") of several colours
Otherwise unclothed
Pitscottie -- 1573
"mantle" (sic)
Safron shirt
Barelegged to the knee
Bishop Lesley -- 1578
Plaid or mantle ("chlamys"). Nobles' vari-coloured, peasants' plain
Also shaggy rugs ("villose stragulae") like those of the Irish
Short wollen jacket ("tunicella") with sleeves open below
Very large pleated shirts made of linen, flowing loosely to the knees and with wide trailing sleeves, dyed saffron among the rich, smeared with greese among the poor
Buchanan -- 1581
"Variegated" and "striped" garments. Plaids ("sagum") sometimes many coloured, but more generally of a dark colour matching the heather.
D'Arfeville -- probably 1547 -- not published till 1581
Large, wide saffron shirt
Coarse wollen coat to the knees, like a cassock, over the shirt
Bareheaded with very long hair
Barelegged and generally barefooted, occasionally high boots reaching to the knee
History of the Gordons -- 1591
"yellow warr coat, which amongst them is the badge of the Chieftaines."
Gordon of Straloch -- 1594
Tartan plaid. ("Loose cloke of several ells, striped and parti-color'd")
Short linen shirt, which the "great" sometimes dyed with saffron
Short jacket
Trews (in winter)
Short hose (stockings) at other seasons
Raw leather shoesThe very earliest that we have any evidence of the great kilt or more properly the belted plaide is the late Elizabethan period (1590). One of the earliest accounts that can be thought to be a great kilt is from 1594. This is a description of a body of Hebrideans who come to Red Hugh O'Donnell's aid.
The earliest drawing we have of the belted plaid is from 1641. It is a German woodcut of Scottish Soldiers. This woodcut may be found in the British Museum in England.
The plaid was a length of tartan cloth. Tartan is a style of plaid designs native to Scotland. However, it must me noted that the tartans used during this period are not the same as the clan tartans in use today..

http://atlantacelticfestival.org/htdocs/Heritage.htm (http://atlantacelticfestival.org/htdocs/Heritage.htm) (click history of the Kilt)

http://www.alanrichards.org/cornishtartan.htm (http://www.alanrichards.org/cornishtartan.htm) types of Cornish Tartan

northener
12-Oct-07, 18:01
Fascinating.

I recognise the woodcut of the 4 Scots soldiers. It refers to Scots mercenaries who fought in the 30 Years War on the Continent. Nice to have a Continental interpretation of what the Scots were wearing at that time.

I seem to recalll another woodcut showing Scots wearing what appear to be Tartan trews. Can't remember where I saw it now.

percy toboggan
12-Oct-07, 18:03
Mrs. Toboggan's place of work has a ' Scottish Entertainer' booked for next week. Apparently his lower half will be clad in a kilt.
Things are looking up.

armanisgirl
12-Oct-07, 19:16
When I gotg married, as many others, I requested that the men/boys be in kilts, and they all looked very handsome. As most of my family is English, this was partgly for their benefit, but also partly because i think most men look (how can I put this? Sexy?) splendid in a kilt. I have photos of just the men and boys together, and it really is a favourite photo of mine. I am especially glad that I had made the request for kilts, as my favourite Aunt had said she was thrilled to finally see a 'real' Scottsh wedding in which the men had kilts on, and went as far as to rub my new husband's knee! She also danced 'The Gay Gordon' with my husband, something which she never thoughtg she would be able to do due to suffering from angina. My aunt sadly passed away a few months later, but I will always cherish these memories, and feel hounoured to have helped her desire come true.

In respect of should it be everyday wear, I'm divided on this. Yes, it would be really nice to see men in their traditional wear. But I'm not sure that it would be practical for every kind of occupation? Also, what would men wear to functions etc? if kilts were worn ever day as a matter of course, it wouldn't feel special to wear a kilt for a formal 'do'. Then again, kilts are great for tourism, and are uniform for some schools across Scotland, perhaps England. Prince Charles likes to be seen wearing his when in Scotland, and then there's that mad designer (can't recall his name, he's been on changing rooms etc) who wears his klt in various patterns and colours all the time. I guess it's the individuals choice as to what he feels comfortable in.

oldmarine
13-Oct-07, 00:58
Ahh oldmarine I had nearly forgotten about Sandy Ross!Yes you are right he did wear it every day! x

Thank you Thumper for providing the name of Sandy Ross. My 82 year old memory is getting rather difficult to use. I enjoyed chatting with Sandy back then.

Thumper
13-Oct-07, 11:46
You are very welcome oldmarine :) Yes Sandy was quite a character, I spent may a night in the pub when I was younger and he was always a very pleasant man x