PDA

View Full Version : Biting baby - advice anyone?

Julia
10-Oct-07, 19:13
Can anyone offer any advice on how to stop a breastfed baby from biting? I've tried being firm but he either just laughs of cries. He's got five teeth now and it's very very painful when it happens.

*Martin*
10-Oct-07, 19:15
Bite back! It's great being a guy!

rockchick
10-Oct-07, 19:18
Negative feedback should work wonders! Respond with a yelp and removal of the breast and your baby will soon catch on that this is a no-no.

lady penelope
10-Oct-07, 19:22
Ouch!!!

How old is he? If he is over 5 months then only feed when he really needs a feed. If he is older then he is only comfort feeding and maybe enjoying getting the attention, no matter how much it hurts you.
When he bites take him away from the breast and cover yourself back up. If he drinks from a bottle or cup offer water from that immediately instead. He will soon get the message and hopefully stop biting.

emszxr
10-Oct-07, 19:26
my 2 only did it a couple of times. a loud ouch and take them away from breast usually helps.

Dadie
10-Oct-07, 21:00
I was quite lucky Lauren only bit me when her teeth were bothering her ..i would push her into my breast to make her let go (less painful than pushing her away) i did not yelp it only made her giggle and do it again (not funny in my book)and cover myself back up and give her 10 minutes then try again ie bite me and it goes away !

Froggie
10-Oct-07, 21:16
I fed my last little treasure until he had 6 sharp teeth and ended up giving up after he bit me so hard one day that he drew blood, and all he could do was give a giggle. It must be a male thing coz i never had any bother with my daughter!!!
I wish you good luck:D

horseman
10-Oct-07, 22:09
I fed my last little treasure until he had 6 sharp teeth and ended up giving up after he bit me so hard one day that he drew blood, and all he could do was give a giggle. It must be a male thing coz i never had any bother with my daughter!!!
I wish you good luck:D

froggie,I thought of that conception-but did'ent dare bring it up:)
But bye the bye-one of the nicest things I have seen in many years was eldest daughter breast feeding her 3.

Julia
10-Oct-07, 22:11
Ouch!!!

How old is he? If he is over 5 months then only feed when he really needs a feed. If he is older then he is only comfort feeding and maybe enjoying getting the attention, no matter how much it hurts you.
When he bites take him away from the breast and cover yourself back up. If he drinks from a bottle or cup offer water from that immediately instead. He will soon get the message and hopefully stop biting.

He's 10 months old and does not really drink from a cup and he won't entertain a bottle, his appetite is quite poor at times so he is still having 2 feeds during the night. His little teeth are razor sharp, he is however very contented. I'm hoping it will just be a phase of getting used to his new weapons, he only started this recently. I never had this problem with my daughter who I fed until 13 months, she never had any teeth until 14 months!

WeeBurd
10-Oct-07, 22:17
snip... But bye the bye-one of the nicest things I have seen in many years was eldest daughter breast feeding her 3.

At the same time :eek:, you've got a talented young lady to be proud of there, Horseman [lol]!

Julia
10-Oct-07, 22:55
But bye the bye-one of the nicest things I have seen in many years was eldest daughter breast feeding her 3.

Not all at once I hope [lol]

JAWS
10-Oct-07, 23:09
Is "knock his front teeth out" worth a try or would that be considered a little excessive these days? ;)

It's obviously not a problem I have ever suffered from but my imagination tells me you deserve my sympathy none the less.
The very idea makes me shudder. Hope you solve the problem fairly soon.

Julia
10-Oct-07, 23:13
Is "knock his front teeth out" worth a try or would that be considered a little excessive these days? ;)

It's obviously not a problem I have ever suffered from but my imagination tells me you deserve my sympathy none the less.
The very idea makes me shudder. Hope you solve the problem fairly soon.

Wait a minute, I think I can hear social services coming [lol]

BRIE
10-Oct-07, 23:15
had exactly the same problem with mine wouldnt take a cup, bottle or a dummy! then started the biting, I perservered until he bit me so hard I had a gaping tooth mark wound!! never breast fed him again! he screamed for the first couple of nights but I handed him to my partner & he nursed him till he settled & eventually took a cup.

Julia
10-Oct-07, 23:54
It's tempting but I am determined not to give up breastfeeding for a good while yet. Maybe I could buy him a baby gum shield ;)