PDA

View Full Version : Your Scottish Menu

Rheghead
10-Oct-07, 18:47
If you were a Scottish cuisine restauranteur, which choices of starters, main meals and desserts would you have on your menu? You are catering for the upmarket customer and you want them to have a good impression of realistic Scottish cooking.

karia
10-Oct-07, 18:56
If you were a Scottish cuisine restauranteur, which choices of 4 starters, 4 main meals and 4 desserts would you have on your menu? You are catering for the upmarket customer and you want them to have a good impression of realistic Scottish cooking.

Well done Rheg!

A good question and I will be pondering my (proper) reply for some time.

I would say straight off that I wouldn't go for a 'Scottish' themed menu but rather use the quality of our seafood, meat, produce etc. at its freshest and in dishes where those elements really count.

I will get back to you after deliberating!:)

karia

Rheghead
10-Oct-07, 19:01
And please, I don't want a fried Mars bar to be seen anywhere!:)

changilass
10-Oct-07, 19:06
Starter from when Jamie had Forss house was a trio of puddings (white, black and haggis) on abase of melted Orkney cheese

Mains would have to be fillet of Aberdeen Angus, can't do without my steak

Dessert would be cranachan

omg my mouth is watering already:D as it is I am having hubbies spag bol for tea, not quite in the same league but yummy just the same:D

emszxr
10-Oct-07, 19:28
cant think of a pud right now. but cullen skink to start and venison for main

Rheghead
10-Oct-07, 19:33
Starters

Scotch broth with fresh roll..... nothing fancy.
Smoked freshly caught wild Salmon with Salad
Haggis with a topping of creamy whisky sauce
Pickled herring

Main meal

Herrings in oatmeal, roast potatoes and clapshot.
Slowly roasted (well hung or fresh)venison with gravy that's made with real ale.
Moray pie with a choice of chips or seasonal vegetables
Scallops marinated in a tangy ginger sauce with a choice of seasonal vegetables.

Dessert

Butterscotch meringue served with a choice of fresh cream or Orkney icecream.
Oatcakes with crowdie, honey, jam or marmalade
Clootie dumpling served with white sauce or Orkney icecream.
Currant Duff with custard.

All washed down with a wee nip of Old Pulteney.

wifie
10-Oct-07, 19:35
Well I was thinking of a nice juicy steak at first then I saw the venison! Cullen Skink a definite for the starter, then a venison stew and a good steamed pudding like my Nana used to make. Asked OH and he thinks Haggis in a whisky cream sauce to start and also goes for the venison and steamed pudding (as long as it is light).

Oddquine
10-Oct-07, 21:08
Rheghead, as someone from Morayshire............what is Moray Pie?

I am intrigued.

Rheghead
10-Oct-07, 21:14
It is basically a mince or cubed beef, carrot and tattie pie with a thick pastry crust.

Whitewater
10-Oct-07, 21:21

Ah!!! you disappoint me now Rhegers.

But on a serious note, all Scottish menus should in include scallops (hand picked, not dredged); wild salmon, could be either smoked or fresh on the menu, good quality meat i.e. locally bred, quality beef and wild venison. All served with local seasonal vegetables. then a good sweet using some of our Old Pulteney Malt , and finished off then with a nice glass of Old Pulteney Liqueur.

The make up the above could be left in the capable hands and imagination of a good chef.

Housewifie
10-Oct-07, 21:30
I think certainly Smoked Salmon or Haggis as a starter, halibut in a cream sauce, or Haggis Stuffed Chicken Breast with a onion sauce and pan cakes with cream and whisky.

rhino
10-Oct-07, 21:43
home made broth

mincen tatties

syrup sponge n custard (although is this scottish?)

horseman
10-Oct-07, 21:43
Rheghead-you pose an interesting post an an a good menu to fill it.
Mrs h was interested in the herring choices- no my dish, not liking the bones an I cann'y propose an alternative one myself,I just belly up to what is put in front of me. I know that is away from your thread-an I could'ent tell her what Cullen Skink was:(thou' I mind skinks the butchers ,

golach
10-Oct-07, 22:00
home made broth
mincen tatties
Rhino............aaaaah comfort food :)

Welcomefamily
10-Oct-07, 22:12
A nice Scottish Bunny drowned in Old Pulteney liqueur and Velvet, add some haggis to complement the gravy stock and thicken it.
Prawns with a honey, mustard and whisky sauce is a nice alternative and a nice varation on Cranachan is to use crushed pineapple instead of berries.

Loads of whisky of any sort.

Julia
10-Oct-07, 22:30
Entrée

Seafood platter, local fish and crab claws with a dip

or

Deep fried orkney cheddar served with a crisp salad and redcurrant dip

Main

Fillet steak topped with a thick layer of haggis, smothered in an onion, whisky and cream sauce served with clapshot and home-made giant onion rings

or

Lamb served with Creamy Haggis & Potato Mash

Sweet

Home-made Clootie Dumpling served with brandy butter & anglaise sauce

or

Cranachan, made with the finest oatmeal, raspberries and whipped cream

Rheghead
10-Oct-07, 22:33
Entrée

Seafood platter, local fish and crab claws with a dip

or

Deep fried orkney cheddar served with a crisp salad and redcurrant dip

Main

Fillet steak topped with a thick layer of haggis, smothered in an onion, whisky and cream sauce served with clapshot and home-made giant onion rings

or

Lamb served with Creamy Haggis & Potato Mash

Sweet

Home-made Clootie Dumpling served with brandy butter & anglaise sauce

or

Cranachan, made with the finest oatmeal, raspberries and whipped cream

Mmmm, not sure about that anglaise sauce though on a Scottish menu.

angela5
10-Oct-07, 22:35
home made broth

mincen tatties

Yum! Home made broth. Double yummy! syrup sponge and custard.:Razz

Rheghead
10-Oct-07, 22:36
A nice Scottish Bunny.

That's something I never see on a menu. I was brought up on rabbits. Mmmm... Though I've gone largely veggie now.

Anne x
11-Oct-07, 13:15
Seared Scallops

Fillet of Aberdeen Angus

Cranachan

Oatcakes & Scottish Cheese

George Brims
11-Oct-07, 18:37
The deep fried chocolate bar is not a Scottish invention, even though Scotland seems to be taking the blame nowadays. They have been doing them at State and County Fairs (like the County Show in Caithness) in the USA for decades. The latest introduction at this year's Orange County Fair was deep-fried cheesecake.