PDA

View Full Version : MS Excel: Importing data from the web

Rheghead
09-Oct-07, 21:25
I'd like to import data from a webpage but the trouble is, when the data is imported, the cells can change position on refresh so making it difficult to handle the data. Does anyone know how I can customise/target data specifically to an area on a webpage? Am I missing to apply a nifty function because it seems very clumsy. Is there a way to quote the variable name and quote the full url thingy majig as the table moves slightly depending on what graphics is on the page.

Thanks in advance

Mr_Me19
09-Oct-07, 22:16
If you can give us the link to the page and explain what it is you are trying to get then we might be able to help further.

From what I know just now my best guess is to use VBA. But if you can't program in that then you have a problem as I think the recording option only works with formatting data.

Rheghead
09-Oct-07, 22:39
Hi Mr_Me19, it is for nothing really essential, www.travian.com, the point really is to learn more about MS Excel because I saw that travian's plus account could be serviced by writing a good MS Excel spreadsheet without having to pay for the privilege(sp).:Razz I must admit to shying away from VBA as it seemed a bit complicated :)

Mr_Me19
10-Oct-07, 20:44
Oh no.... Looks like im going to have to go trawling through my hosts file for it this since I blocked it to stop my younger brother from going on it... :lol:

I'll have a look and see what I can dig up though.

Mr_Me19
10-Oct-07, 20:57
Is this the table you are wanting:

Rheghead
10-Oct-07, 21:19
I think I have sorted my problem so it is more manageable. I had my 'Data range properties' set wrong. On refresh Excel was inserting new cells and rows instead of overwriting and clearing out old data. The reference cells were being changed previously and making it unworkable. It seems to work a lot better now, I just copy and paste the bouncing cells into a more stable part of the spreadsheet using rotational copy and paste thingy and the rest of the calculational gubbins does the work from there on, I hope I have explained myself clearly?:confused

Thanks

Mr_Me19
10-Oct-07, 22:21
I hope I have explained myself clearly?

I don't quite get what your meaning, but you do and it works. Thats what matters. Lol. Sorry I couldn't be of more help though.