PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a photograph

The Oracle
09-Oct-07, 20:40
Hi,

Does anyone have an early photograph of Cormack's Chip Shop that they will allow me to copy ?

A good friend of mine quite often reminds me of how good it was and he doesn't have a photo of it, so I would like to get one for him.

" The best Chip Shop ever ! ", I'm told, as he recounts his youth in Wick.

Quality doesn't matter too much as I can retouch it if necessary?

I will collect and return it.

trinkie
09-Oct-07, 21:05
Sorry I dont have a picture - but I'll ask around.

Instead I have put 'Two Two's an a Fish' on the Lit Page,
Enjoy
trinkie

ads
09-Oct-07, 21:30
You could try the John O'Groat Journal Office in Wick. They have done articles in their paper in the past covering John Cormack.

The Oracle
09-Oct-07, 22:30
Thanks Trinkie, great poem !

johno
09-Oct-07, 22:37
Hope there is a pic of John,s chipper. there were plenty photos of the Schoolkids on a wall in his shop. we used to call it the rogues gallery.
His shop was at the Braehead just over from the Pilothouse then he took over from Dane Robertson in Henrietta St where the chippie is now.
John Cormack died just recently there was a bit in the Groat about him being in a band and that. in fact it was on the T V.

The Oracle
09-Oct-07, 22:43
Thanks Johno and ADS for the info. I'll look into both of these.

johno
09-Oct-07, 22:49
Thanks Johno and ADS for the info. I'll look into both of these.
better than that oracle, im pretty sure it was an article with the painter guy Scott .?

The Oracle
10-Oct-07, 17:15
Johno, do you know (roughly) when he moved to Henrietta Street?

johno
10-Oct-07, 17:38
Johno, do you know (roughly) when he moved to Henrietta Street?
Cant say for sure as i was out of wick for a long time, but at a guess 35yrs app. Charlie Simpson had the shop after John then Wullie Byrne. The program featuring John was by that Wick born artist. think he is a professor ?Scott. His mother lives in West Banks up by the High School In Wick.
Ps, and it was a damned good chippie.

ploo251
10-Oct-07, 21:49
Prior to Charlie Simpson buying the chippie it was owned by a couple named Debbie and Dave (I think). I am sure one of them was the son or daughter of the bloke Punnet who used to have the electrical/ spares shop on the Cliff.

johno
10-Oct-07, 22:01
Prior to Charlie Simpson buying the chippie it was owned by a couple named Debbie and Dave (I think). I am sure one of them was the son or daughter of the bloke Punnet who used to have the electrical/ spares shop on the Cliff.
True and before that i think Dane & Nessie Robertson had it. Dane used to be the manager of the Coop shop in Coach Road. Christ thats going back a bit.:roll:

south view 7
11-Oct-07, 21:26
In my day(going back even further) a mrs. lyall had it and it was always known as " mrs.lyall"s chip shop ".....we used to ask for three three"s and a thrupney bag..........