PDA

View Full Version : The Manual

buddyrich
09-Oct-07, 15:20
I wonder if any of the budding musicians who make up the local "scene" have read The Manual? It is after all the complete guide to getting to number one.

Look for it on Amazon, authors are Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty.

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Oct-07, 16:31
I much prefer the essay written by Steve Albini. Much more realistic.

Jeid
09-Oct-07, 17:10
Steve Albini is a legend!

buddyrich
10-Oct-07, 18:53
In Utero is quite good. Other than that im clueless about him. Didnt he do that Page/Plant reunion album about ten years ago??

Anyway, the staff at his studio have some pithy things to say about gear and recording in general.

www.electrical.com (http://www.electrical.com)

The comment about the Shure SM57 is priceless.

rob murray
11-Oct-07, 09:20
Steve Albini is a legend!

Nah, Bill Drummond is the true genius, ( anyone who can get Tammi Wynette to appear on a number one single singing "they're justified and ancient and they drive an ice cream van", surely has to be ) Albini is a more a studio engineer

Jeid
11-Oct-07, 11:07
I've just started reading Bill Drummond's "45", I'm useless at reading, but this book is pretty good so far. Might check out The Manual next...

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Oct-07, 12:40
Or forget trying to sustain a music career at all, and get a real estate license instead.

rob murray
11-Oct-07, 13:11
Or forget trying to sustain a music career at all, and get a real estate license instead.
Yer not far of the mark Pepsi, one of the follow up ventures that the KLF ( Drummonds pretend rave band ) had was The KLF Plant Hire Company, ie a bogus plant hire company they formed in order to get equipment to knock down stonehedge, they gave up on this but hung dead cattle from power lines across southern england....dont ask !!

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Oct-07, 13:58
I ken all about it, Rob. I read 45 when it first came out. Met Bill a couple of years ago; judging by his face he probably wishes he didn't burn that million quid after all. Numpty.

buddyrich
11-Oct-07, 15:09
I liked the bit in 45 where they drive round the M25 twenty five times. Anti clockwise of course.

rob murray
11-Oct-07, 15:18
I ken all about it, Rob. I read 45 when it first came out. Met Bill a couple of years ago; judging by his face he probably wishes he didn't burn that million quid after all. Numpty.

What kind of bloke was he Pepsi, my reading of 45 led me to believe, art terrosrism scams apart, that he was pretty grounded.???

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Oct-07, 17:03
General nice guy, I thought. He was looking a bit shabby though and complaining he was stuck for cash. Well, you would, wouldn't you if you'd just put one million squid up in smoke.