16-Aug-05, 00:02
yes definately !!!!

Rheghead
16-Aug-05, 09:21
ok I will take the bait

In attitude or technically?

brandy
16-Aug-05, 09:32
umm just wondering what is wrong with the american military? its strong and a force to be reconed with.. just because its leadership is not the best is nothing to do with the military itself.. *frowns*

scotsboy
16-Aug-05, 09:55
Answer to the question (imho) is no.

fred
16-Aug-05, 11:49
umm just wondering what is wrong with the american military? its strong and a force to be reconed with.. just because its leadership is not the best is nothing to do with the military itself.. *frowns*

Well basically in order to maintain a large enough army to be fighting so many wars in so many parts of the world they have to go way over the top with the the Glory and Patriotism con to get the recruits and end up with a lot of people who are just not suitable for the job.

You might have guessed by now that I am totally opposed to war but even I can accept that there are some who are just not like me and they have a place in this world as well. I am not soldier material but there are others who are, people who are ideally suited to a life in the military, that is how they want to live and that is who they are. If, knowing all the risks and of their own free will they want to go off somewhere and blow each other up I can't complain as repulsive as I find it, it's their lives but just so long as they leave all the people whos choice in life was not to get mutilated out of it.

I know people who are in or have been in the British military, they are happy with their lives and doing what they want to do but when I see the parents of an American kid who went home from Iraq in a box saying "after 9/11 he felt he just had to do his bit to defend his country" I consider their child was murdered.

brandy
16-Aug-05, 19:31
i agree with your point fred.. but what is bothering me is people thinking the american military is something evil like its a bad thing
my brother joined teh army a couple years ago went thru basic and found he couldnt hack it.. they let him go.. with an honorable discharge because he mentally could not take it.. wasnt what he thought it would be..
so there are exscape clauses..
america can at least say it dosent hand weapons to small children and send them to war
these boys that sign up are grown men.. and have to make that choice.. my brother did even though the whole family begged him not too..

honestjohn
17-Aug-05, 20:46

Since when has it been a force to be reckoned with? They make nothing but mistakes, like all the" friendly fire" incidents in both Gulf conflicts etc.etc.etc.

Trouble with the U.S. army is that it is too "Gung Ho!"
Now they are on about military action against Iran because of their nuclear factories. Any excuse for a war.
As long as they don't rope the best army in the world into it.

fred
17-Aug-05, 21:21
i agree with your point fred.. but what is bothering me is people thinking the american military is something evil like its a bad thing

I don't know about that brandy I don't see the ordinary American soldier as evil, I see him as just another victim of evil.

Rheghead
17-Aug-05, 23:19
I can't help get the feeling that there are some members of this forum who would have been celebrating the day after 9/11 happened.

hereboy
17-Aug-05, 23:26
the same kind of people, who if it wasn't for the americans, would be wearing lederhosen and slapping each other on the thighs in a funny accent while eating cabbage and cold sausage for breakfast right now...

I thank you...

compo
18-Aug-05, 01:17
and whats wrong with ladenhosen (probably not spelt wrong) pray tell. as for ending up like them well we dont want that honestly we dont.

fred
18-Aug-05, 09:27
I can't help get the feeling that there are some members of this forum who would have been celebrating the day after 9/11 happened.

I don't think so Rheghead. I know there are some members of this forum who can just dismiss the killing of large numbers of innocent people with "the end justified the means" and I know there are people here who will be better off as a result of 9/11 but I don't think anyone was celebrating.

I can't help thinking there were a few prominent Americans celebrating though. I don't think the invasions of Afghanistan or Iraq would have been possible without it.

fred
18-Aug-05, 09:35
the same kind of people, who if it wasn't for the americans, would be wearing lederhosen and slapping each other on the thighs in a funny accent while eating cabbage and cold sausage for breakfast right now...

Better off wearing baseball caps and wishing each other a niced day while eating McDonalds and drinking Cocacola I suppose.

Rheghead
18-Aug-05, 11:08
Better off wearing baseball caps and wishing each other a niced day while eating McDonalds and drinking Cocacola I suppose.

No, better off wearing a Tam o Shanter and saying 'nae bother' all the time while drinking wee nips of vodka in yer irn bru. :roll:

brandy
18-Aug-05, 15:56
fred .. thank you very much and tell me what is wrong with saying have a nice day?
i am american an quite proud of the fact.
i was raised in a good home with a good upbringing and
i never talked back to my elders and respected adults
never went out on the drink or harrased people
i was never biggoted or racist or closed minded..
like some people on this board..
im sorry if you are anti- american but we are not bad people as a whole
and from what i have seen.. the community i grew up in is a lot more wholseom than
what i have seen in this grand country.

hereboy
18-Aug-05, 16:41

no, better being persecuted for not being aryan, sent to Poland for a train ride with your chums, and working 20 hours a day down a coal mine...

By the time you had spent a couple of years eating nothing but ersatz potato soup you would be quite happy with a Big Mac... unless you stil wanted to play martyr to prove a point to yourself.

Have a nice day!

fred
18-Aug-05, 18:27
fred .. thank you very much and tell me what is wrong with saying have a nice day?
i am american an quite proud of the fact.

And can't understand how anyone could possibly not want to be an American or be proud of being anything else but an American.

There is nothing wrong with saying "have a nice day" or McDonalds or Cocacola, they are a part of the American culture, there is nothing wrong with any country having a culture but this just isn't America. I prefer my own culture to American culture and if you see that as being anti American then that is your problem.

fred
18-Aug-05, 18:38

no, better being persecuted for not being aryan, sent to Poland for a train ride with your chums, and working 20 hours a day down a coal mine...

By the time you had spent a couple of years eating nothing but ersatz potato soup you would be quite happy with a Big Mac... unless you stil wanted to play martyr to prove a point to yourself.

Have a nice day!

You assume I am not Aryan.

Lets just think now about what would have happened if Germany had won the war though. They would have disolved the British Empire for certain, British government policy would be dictated from Berlin, they would have built German military bases all over Britain and school history books would be telling how the holocaust saved millions of lives.

You're right, it doesn't bare thinking about.

hereboy
19-Aug-05, 00:22
in the immortal words of Barney Rubble....

"eh, right Fred"

:roll:

brandy
19-Aug-05, 07:28
i have no problem what so ever with people being proud of their cultures and i respect dif. cultures . have you ever seen me bad mouth some one elses culture?
you are the one who is derogetory towards americans.. and that is what i am taking offence at.
i grew up in diversity.. you know america is known as the melting pot of the world
where there is a mixture of every culture?

Camra
19-Aug-05, 08:25
We are suffering the long standing effects of the decisions in the sixties, by the government of the day, to systematically dismantle British design and manufacturing capability to provide outstanding ( but initially expensive) products for our Armed forces in favour of US products thus realising huge savings in R& D costs.

You only have to look at France and Sweden which retained a parochial strategy and their aerospace industries capability are still capable of matching US products.

Hells bells, if we hadn't gone cap in hand to the US for missiles during the Falklands war, our Navy would have been decimated. How much would that have cost ?

Knowledge is being aware that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !

fred
19-Aug-05, 09:59
i have no problem what so ever with people being proud of their cultures and i respect dif. cultures . have you ever seen me bad mouth some one elses culture?

Yes, in your last post where your painted a picture of America as a place where no one ever bad mouths their elders and no one drinks unlike this grand country.

you are the one who is derogetory towards americans.. and that is what i am taking offence at.
i grew up in diversity.. you know america is known as the melting pot of the world
where there is a mixture of every culture?

And a distinct shortage of Native Americans, you wouldn't like to explain to us where they all went to in the land without racism and bigotry would you because ninety percent of the population of a continent vanished into thin air.

America has a wide diversity of cultures because it has a wide diversity of people, as people move they take their cultures with them and cultures intertwine but that is not not is happening with American Cultural Imperialism.

I too was raised in a good home with a good upbringing, in a world where obesity was a novelty and diabetese was something old people got, where policemen carried truncheons not sub machine guns and where a dentist wasn't a luxury only the rich could afford.

Rheghead
19-Aug-05, 10:39
you wouldn't like to explain to us where they all went to in the land without racism and bigotry would you because ninety percent of the population of a continent vanished into thin air.

Aww fred!!, to ask those sort of questions to another national then your own nation has to be completely innocent itself. [disgust]

If you put America in the dock then you put Britain in the dock as well

brandy
19-Aug-05, 12:03
umm well lets see... my grandmother was a blackfoot indian.. diabetes is hereditary.. many children have it from infancy.. i deleveloped gestational diabetes and it carried on after preg. but i am not obese.. never said america was perfect but where im from you would never see the disrespect in children from the majority of homes as you do here..
i also never "painted " a picture of america if you look i said the community i grew up in..
and lets see umm native americans.. was that not the british that came in a wiped them out? or is history wrong? it was the english that betrayed them when they said fight with us against the french and we will be allies and protect you then it was the crown that turned around and stole their crown and drove them away..
hmm as for culture.. in american schools they teach cultural diversity and to respect other cultures while keeping your own traditions and holidays and beliefs.. hmm theres enough room for them all i belive!
and as for the police carrying guns.. i think i heard in the news that britian had some of the highest weapons drug and people trade in the world.. scary isnt it?
and i guess you are blaming america on privatization?
i have praised the nhs left right and center since i came to this country i think it is brilliant.. but yet i have heard nothing but moaning and groaning from the brits?
funny when how you look at things dif when you come from a place where everyting is private and you are use to saving your pennies and paying for everything. and having to pay hundreds of dollars a month for insurance?

Rheghead
19-Aug-05, 12:14
was that not the british that came in a wiped them out? or is history wrong?

Yes, the British colonists were guilty but nothing like the wholesale deportation and murder committed by American forces during the mid 19th century.

brandy
19-Aug-05, 12:48
shh.. *grr* trying to make a point and you ruined it :D

brandy
19-Aug-05, 12:52
but seriously america is no better or worse than any other.. we could sit all day and throw up points from history on who did what and who was evil and who was a saint.
what really matters is what we do today.
we need to learn from our mistakes as the human race not as nationality or color..
just watched independance day recently and thought.. hmmm would it really take an alien invasion to bring the human race together and put aside their bickering and power grabbing to work together?
wouldnt it be nice if we could become enlightened enough to acccept the diferances in ourselves and all play nice?

fred
19-Aug-05, 17:53
you wouldn't like to explain to us where they all went to in the land without racism and bigotry would you because ninety percent of the population of a continent vanished into thin air.

Aww fred!!, to ask those sort of questions to another national then your own nation has to be completely innocent itself. [disgust]

You're damned right I do. As far as I'm concerned right is right and wrong is wrong as who is doing it. I don't see how something can be right when the British do it and wrong when anyone else does it. Look back over what I've written, I've never defended the British, I've condemned the English for their actions in Ireland, I've condemned the British for their actions in the Middle East both now and in the past and if it had been Churchills decission to drop atomic bombs not Trumans I'd have been condemning Churchill for that not Truman.

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Aug-05, 17:58
"Not British" :o)

Rheghead
19-Aug-05, 18:09
I've condemned the English for their actions in Ireland, I've condemned the British for their actions in the Middle East both now and in the past

Why differentiate the English from British when it comes to Irish matters? Does it make you comfortable to do this?

fred
19-Aug-05, 19:29
umm well lets see... my grandmother was a blackfoot indian.. diabetes is hereditary.. many children have it from infancy.. i deleveloped gestational diabetes and it carried on after preg. but i am not obese.. never said america was perfect but where im from you would never see the disrespect in children from the majority of homes as you do here..

Oh well then if your grandmother was a Blackfoot Indian then the genocide stories can't be true and if diabetes is hereditory then the appearance of late onset diabetes in children can have nothing whatsoever to do with bad food with good marketing.

and as for the police carrying guns.. i think i heard in the news that britian had some of the highest weapons drug and people trade in the world.. scary isnt it?
and i guess you are blaming america on privatization?

I don't remember blaming America for anything. It does seem to be a part of American culture which was introduced to Britain though.

fred
19-Aug-05, 19:53
I've condemned the English for their actions in Ireland, I've condemned the British for their actions in the Middle East both now and in the past

Why differentiate the English from British when it comes to Irish matters? Does it make you comfortable to do this?

I think you'll find that those responsible for the genocide from 1845 to 1847 were English.
Since the act of union in 1801 those murdered would have been British.

Why would it make me more comfortable?

golach
19-Aug-05, 20:18
I am confused, origionally the question asked was about the cloning of our troops.
But Fred as usual has brought in the, Brits & the Americans and has told us all that they are the Arch Demons of the world.
the Middle East troubles and Afgahnistan are all down to the Brits and Uncle Sam, also obesity and diabetes, the Atoms Bombs were the fault of Uncle Sam, then he says its the Brits fault the Native Americans were wiped out, next he started on about Ireland.!!!!!!! Is no part of this world safe from your venom Fred.
I suppose it was the fault of the likes of William Wallace and Edward Longshanks that hot bits of Dounreay are being found on the beach at Reay.

hereboy
19-Aug-05, 20:57

You're damned right I do....I've condemned the British for their actions in the Middle East both now and in the past ...

Careful Fred - you'll making it onto Blairs top 500 list soon - plenty of countries out there that will take you -pack a hat though - most of them are pretty "hot".... ;)

fred
19-Aug-05, 21:39
I am confused, origionally the question asked was about the cloning of our troops.

It's called thread drift and it's what makes forums interesting.

marion
22-Aug-05, 23:42
I don't believe so. Great Britain has long been able to think for itself and stand alone when necessary.