PDA

View Full Version : Accident at Berriedale Braes

ber219
09-Oct-07, 00:48
Just got home after a 4 hour delay due to a cattle lorry going south catching fire and crashing into the barriers at the Braes.

Seems like the fully loaded vehicle was coming down the braes too fast and due the braking heavy coming to the first hairpin the brakes have caught fire, thus setting the cab on fire and smashing into the barriers and overturning.

Driver and passenger escaped (somehow) from the cab which ended up nearly over the edge, they were both taken to hospital, injuries unknown.

Approx 48 cattle were loaded with an unknown number killed or put to sleep.

The fire crews are still trying to recover the vehicle but the road has now been partially reopened.

It really is a pig of a road and no doubt that this will add to the debate for the flyover.

DeHaviLand
09-Oct-07, 00:58
I travel that road every day and have yet to see a cattle truck going too fast. But it is a bad road, and I hope that driver and passenger are not badly hurt.

huh
09-Oct-07, 00:58
Having to drive down that road is enough to put me off wanting to start driving lessons. It's very intimidating!

ber219
09-Oct-07, 00:59
Seems this was a private cattle vehicle so their may be a possibility that he wouldn't know the road too well...

DeHaviLand
09-Oct-07, 01:00
Having to drive down that road is enough to put me off wanting to start driving lessons. It's very intimidating!

Its not intimidating, it just demands a little respect.

theone
09-Oct-07, 01:50
They should put a bridge over there in the same way they did Dunbeath.

emszxr
09-Oct-07, 08:09
personally i feel there is nothing wrong with the road. you just have to drive to theroad conditions and with berriedale that means a lot slower and watch out for larger vehicles that are coming round the northside hairpin.

tisme
09-Oct-07, 08:37
I agree. No Way should they put a bridge across. Just take it easy, it's not that bad.

grumpyhippo
09-Oct-07, 09:19
this was a private cattle vehicle

I didn't know there were public cattle vehicles available. Do cattle in the over 30 month scheme qualify for a free pass?

ber219
09-Oct-07, 09:50
I wouldn't like to see a flyover built in Berriedale however i do believe it is just a matter of time, although last night was a rare instance the main problem is lorries coming North getting hitched up on the hairpin as they can't swing out wide enough to give the trailer room to clear the barrier.

Its not too much of a problem for local drivers and drivers who do the trip regulary but for visitors its just something they dont expect.

bekisman
09-Oct-07, 10:14
Tisme: "I agree. No Way should they put a bridge across. Just take it easy, it's not that bad."

I think you must be in the minority, the Braes have been the location of countless accidents ( "I think I am correct in saying that a year does not pass when an HGV LGV does not have a serious accident, brakes failure, and even running out of the emergency sand pit run off road near the bottom.. The journey to Thurso was, warm, dry and uneventful apart from the 2 lorry accident at Berriedale Braes.. A Kirkwall man was taken to hospital in Wick on Thursday after a road accident at Berriedale on the Scottish mainland") and so it goes on. Fair enough it might be fine for those locals who are used to it and think it's quaint, but for those from the south who have travelled a great many hours to be then confronted with a Third World road, it's no joke.

Common sense:
The Caithness Partnership Caithness Transport Forum:
BERRIEDALE BRAES CROSSING: CTF was pleased to see that the Berriedale Braes crossing features in the Provisional Programme and we would like to see this pushed forward in the timetable to become an early priority within the programme.
As a lifeline road for both Caithness and Orkney the A9 north of Helmsdale must be a major priority in any regional transport strategy. In 2006 a series of landslips close to the road at the Berriedale Brae brought the vulnerability of the road into sharp focus and its importance as the main route for a population of 25,000 in Caithness and an additional 19,000 in Orkney. The alternative route into the county from the south via Kildonan Strath (single track) is already is a precarious state and weight restrictions are imposed.
Over the next 20-30 years there will be additional usage of the A9 into Caithness as major developments such as the Pentland Firth energy developments, the super-port in Scapa Flow and the forecast timber harvest (several million tones in Caithness and Sutherland) starting in 2010 make early action on a Berriedale Braes crossing imperative.
The CTF has received confirmation that the A9 Inverness to Thurso route is regarded as part of the Trans European Network and we understand that there is an obligation that these routes are of a “high, uniform and continuous level of service, comfort and safety” to which sections of the A9 north of Dornoch clearly do not comply.
National strategic outcome: Improved journey times and connections, improving quality, accessibility and affordability of services to, from and within remote and rural areas in Scotland

Welcomefamily
09-Oct-07, 10:18
No I think we should keep it, its not as if its a steep hair pin, (there many far worse). It adds a bit of character to whats quite a boring road for driving, not too bad as a passenger.
It also gives the tourists a buzz, when I worked in Devon in a large holiday complex there was a road the coach drivers used to take up on Exmoor going down to Lynmouth which dropped from a very great height going down (20%) at the top down to (25%) at the bottom along a cliff edge. The Tourists would talk about it for days, little did they know once they got down it, that the other two routes out were nearly as bad.
One of Somersets biggest Tourist attractions is Porlock Hill, where the road off of Exmoor drops nearly 400m at 25% with one hair pin at 28%, however I dont think coaches go down that one (A toll Road was built around), you certainly get a buzz going up it even after many times.
I know Tourists are the last thing on peoples minds if they drive to Inverness on a regular basis, but we are going to become increasingly dependent on that side for our economy.

Welcomefamily
09-Oct-07, 10:26
A by-pass.....don't lose it with another Bridge, its a pity they could not have by passed Dunbeath, it looks a disaster. The faster a road the less stops people make the more the local community suffers in the long run.

golach
09-Oct-07, 10:39
Came down the Brae yesterday on my way south at approx. 13:30 the road was so quiet and clear, as it was all the way back to Edinburgh, sorry to hear about the accident, it may have been mechanical failure.
I would like to pay compliments to the courteous drivers employed by D Stevens, who all indicated to let us pass them any time we got stuck behind them heading North on Friday, they were the only drivers who did this, Thanks again Lads.

fred
09-Oct-07, 10:44
No I think we should keep it, its not as if its a steep hair pin, (there many far worse). It adds a bit of character to whats quite a boring road for driving, not too bad as a passenger.
It also gives the tourists a buzz, when I worked in Devon in a large holiday complex there was a road the coach drivers used to take up on Exmoor going down to Lynmouth which dropped from a very great height going down (20%) at the top down to (25%) at the bottom along a cliff edge. The Tourists would talk about it for days, little did they know once they got down it, that the other two routes out were nearly as bad.
One of Somersets biggest Tourist attractions is Porlock Hill, where the road off of Exmoor drops nearly 400m at 25% with one hair pin at 28%, however I dont think coaches go down that one (A toll Road was built around), you certainly get a buzz going up it even after many times.
I know Tourists are the last thing on peoples minds if they drive to Inverness on a regular basis, but we are going to become increasingly dependent on that side for our economy.

I agree with you about there being far worse hills in other parts of Britain but the big difference is that the A9 is the only viable route into the county and as we get more shops there will be more heavy traffic. Get a diesel spill the bends are a death trap, get snow even the snowplough can't get up, get a heavy vehicle can't take the hill the road is blocked, the county is effectively cut off for road transport.

Quaint hills are fine where they can be bypassed, the A9 is our lifeline, our main road, practically the only road in or out.

Fluff
09-Oct-07, 11:15
can anyone tell me what percentage the braes are please?

Cazaa
09-Oct-07, 11:32
They should put a bridge over there in the same way they did Dunbeath.

As long as they get their measurements right. The climb after the bridge (going south) is far too steep (and who would use the escape bed at the same place . . . going north?)

tisme
09-Oct-07, 11:33
Tisme: "I agree. No Way should they put a bridge across. Just take it easy, it's not that bad."

I think you must be in the minority, the Braes have been the location of countless accidents ( "I think I am correct in saying that a year does not pass when an HGV LGV does not have a serious accident, brakes failure, and even running out of the emergency sand pit run off road near the bottom.. The journey to Thurso was, warm, dry and uneventful apart from the 2 lorry accident at Berriedale Braes.. A Kirkwall man was taken to hospital in Wick on Thursday after a road accident at Berriedale on the Scottish mainland") and so it goes on. Fair enough it might be fine for those locals who are used to it and think it's quaint, but for those from the south who have travelled a great many hours to be then confronted with a Third World road, it's no joke.

Common sense:
The Caithness Partnership Caithness Transport Forum:
BERRIEDALE BRAES CROSSING: CTF was pleased to see that the Berriedale Braes crossing features in the Provisional Programme and we would like to see this pushed forward in the timetable to become an early priority within the programme.
As a lifeline road for both Caithness and Orkney the A9 north of Helmsdale must be a major priority in any regional transport strategy. In 2006 a series of landslips close to the road at the Berriedale Brae brought the vulnerability of the road into sharp focus and its importance as the main route for a population of 25,000 in Caithness and an additional 19,000 in Orkney. The alternative route into the county from the south via Kildonan Strath (single track) is already is a precarious state and weight restrictions are imposed.
Over the next 20-30 years there will be additional usage of the A9 into Caithness as major developments such as the Pentland Firth energy developments, the super-port in Scapa Flow and the forecast timber harvest (several million tones in Caithness and Sutherland) starting in 2010 make early action on a Berriedale Braes crossing imperative.
The CTF has received confirmation that the A9 Inverness to Thurso route is regarded as part of the Trans European Network and we understand that there is an obligation that these routes are of a “high, uniform and continuous level of service, comfort and safety” to which sections of the A9 north of Dornoch clearly do not comply.
National strategic outcome: Improved journey times and connections, improving quality, accessibility and affordability of services to, from and within remote and rural areas in Scotland

I don't think I am really. Fair comment, I am familiar with the road and do see it through rose tinted specs coz I know I am only 40 mins away form home once I pass the braes, but. You say about people coming up from South don't expect it. But surely it is up to the driver to ensure he is driving in the correct state to approach, you can't expect every road to be straightened, flattened etc to compensate for those who are not local!! If I am going somewhere new I take my time anyway, and don't blame the road for my driving, just myself for not being more cautious.

bluelady
09-Oct-07, 12:13
They should put a bridge across for heavy goods vehicles and caravans and anyone else who wants to use it, but the braes should still be open for access and anyone else wanting to use that way as there's houses,etc on one side. Other counties do this, puting in an alternative road so drivers can have the choice.

ber219
09-Oct-07, 14:07
Whatever (if anything) they decide to do it will be very intresting to see.
They have talked about it for long enough!!

hotrod4
09-Oct-07, 14:17
Not 100%(me not the braes) but I think that the braes are a 13% incline
Drove down it yesterday think thats what it said!

Cookerpebble
09-Oct-07, 14:25
Its not just the Braes, although I accept they are one of if not the worst stretches of road. I travel between Halkirk and Aberdeen fairly frequently and I cannot imagine any other developed nation has the poor transport links we have up here. 2 hours at best to Inverness by car, 4 hours to Aberdeen (This was when I left at 11pm) I did it for the football the other week and it took 6 hours. Train from Aberdeen to thurso 7 hours, used to be 9 till timetable changes recently. If you want the luxury of a 30minute flight it will set you back £170. I am flying to Switzerland soon with BA for £150.

I'm sorry for venting all this as you know it already, but it winds me up.

rockchick
09-Oct-07, 18:36
With respect to transport times, in some ways Caithness has it made. You live in a place where a traffic jam is a farmer moving cattle, or some sheep clogging the road. In more built-up areas, like where we're living now, it can take you an hour to drive 10 miles during rush hour! The thought of being able to drive 100 miles in 2.5 hours off a motorway would be heaven! You have NO SPEED CAMERAS (except the mobile ones) north of Aviemore...you drive the A9 with people who know how and when to overtake...most of the time anyways...and you have the brilliant scenery on the way.

A second (back-up) roadway into the North would not be a bad idea however, even if it followed the meandering railway to lessen the environmental impact.

Cookerpebble
09-Oct-07, 19:03
Good points rock chick. I do, hypocritically i guess, take the micky out of my friends commutes when I travel my 20 miles to work in less than half an hour.
But these caithness roads are perfect for the traffic levels and demands on them. I don't think the A9 is up to the job. The second road would be good, if it could have access back onto the A9 at various points so that in event of an accident like today you wouldn't have to wander too far off track.
As my mum used to say though, 'I wants don't get'

Jeemag_USA
09-Oct-07, 20:58
personally i feel there is nothing wrong with the road. you just have to drive to theroad conditions and with berriedale that means a lot slower and watch out for larger vehicles that are coming round the northside hairpin.

I agree with what you and tisme are saying, but like I always believe, you can be as careful as you want but you can't make the fool coming towards you do the same thing, some things you have no control over and people get hurt because of someone else's stupidity.

I think a flyover like Dunbeath would be a good idea. These roads were built when things like that were too much of an undertaking and too expensive for the people who had to pay for it. Now it should be done.

JimH
09-Oct-07, 21:11
I find the A9 this side of Golspie to be more than adequate for the amount of traffic it carries. I have never been in a queue in either a car, a car and caravan, or in a 44 ton artic.
BB is just another bit of road. For commercials, its all down to the power to weight ratio. Stevens trucks have no problems because they are all 500 plus hp, and very well maintained, thus they can cope up or down hill.
The road and the scenery is fine. You must drive according to conditions, the same just further south towards Helmsdale. There is nothing wrong with the road. Most of the incidents are single vehicles. The large majority of drivers in all vehicles negotiate the road without any problems. Traffic accidents do not just happen - they are caused.

golach
09-Oct-07, 22:17
personally i feel there is nothing wrong with the road. you just have to drive to the road conditions and with berriedale that means a lot slower and watch out for larger vehicles that are coming round the northside hairpin.
Having traveled up and down the A9 and M90 over this weekend, as a passenger, I would say there is nothing wrong with the road, and emszxr you are correct, you have to drive to the road conditions and obey the speed limits, its the impatient drivers that cause the most trouble.
My pal who was doing the driving had a Tom Tom navigator and it was fascinating to watch and listen to the navigator work.

Kingetter
09-Oct-07, 22:22
I passed the truck on my way south, not too sure of the time, but it was blazing hotter than any bonfire but no police/fire/ambulance at that time - some may have there been earlier. Some were on their way from the south even 20 mins/half an hour later - passed me heading north at speed, lights flashing. I went through Latheron maybe 8.30 pm. Quite a queue was building up on the northbound side. I followed another vehicle through (we were waved through by someone on the spot) and could feel the heat as I passed.

No pics on the way down.

Tonight, on the way back, snapped off these 2, the first looking up towards that bend, the second with all the cones marking the spot. Smoke coloured rail some of the rail damaged/missing. Warnings about slippery road.

I thought last night if that truck blew up there'd be stuff flying everywhere. Also, if fuel leaked out it would be running down that road and the traffic was queing almost to the next bend as I passed.

http://www.transportcafe.co.uk/britain4.html - see pic #4 for where it happened.

It got me to wondering where emergency services would be called from in that area.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Misc/HPIM3557-3.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Misc/HPIM3556-3.jpg

luskentyre
09-Oct-07, 23:25
Am I the only one to think about the poor cattle, and how terrifying it must have been for them?

Margaret M.
10-Oct-07, 03:55
Am I the only one to think about the poor cattle, and how terrifying it must have been for them?

I'm with you, Luskentyre, poor things. I am sooo soft hearted when it comes to animals, all animals.

johno
10-Oct-07, 10:22
Ive never had an issue with the Wick-Inverness road, apart from Berriedale which is ok so long as you respect the braes. Now the Inverness- Aberdeen road is a national disgrace. To have a road that bad between two of Scotland,s major city,s. :eek:. I dont travel that route much but last month i was unfortunate enough to have made the journey and i kid you not if i ever have to go to Aberdeen again it,ll be by some other route. maybe by Dundee reckon the extra miles will be compensated by a nicer drive less frustration & i dont think the extra 90 or so miles would put much on the journey time.

j4bberw0ck
10-Oct-07, 11:24
Johno, if you go to Michelin mapping (http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/dyn/controller/Driving_directions) and select Aberdeen - Inverness for your route, then select the option for "by bike" (they mean pushbike) (I also selected by motorcycle but I don't think it made any difference) it comes up with a nice, cross country route through Dufftown, Craigellachie and Cawdor. Sure enough it's a route with problems of its own, but anything that keeps you off the A96 has got to be good. I used a similar route on my bike (not a pushbike!) and the scenery helps pass the time nicely.

Any of the car-based options on the Michelin mapping end up on the A96 sooner or later.