PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts - is there anybody out there?

psyberyeti
08-Oct-07, 00:08
Does anyone else around here have a ghost in their house? What are your experiences?

Ours disapeared (if a ghost can disappear) for almost two years, and now seems to have come back. It's very spooky. The cat is behaving strangely, doing 'pointer cat' things, standing transfixed for several seconds, and does not seem to like to go through the dining room even though the ghost now appears to go from the hall entrance, up the stairs to my daughters room? It has been heard a different times by both my wifie and myself. We investigated straight away when we hear it stomping up the stairs and shutting doors (3 times now).... but there is nothing there. :eek: The doors were locked and we checked that no-one was sneeking around and hiding. It makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

I have most of the lights on and a torch next to me just incase.

Do ghosts only manifest themselves when there is someone there to observe, or do they do things, say if you just leave a recorder in the room/area?

When the ghost was here before it was very peaceful and used to exude calming smells - this one does not seem so quiet or give that same feeling of 'calm'.

P.S. I am a scientist so I cannot logically believe in ghosts :cool:

oldmarine
08-Oct-07, 00:44
This should be an interesting topic. Although I am an electronic engineer with science as my background, I have observed enough during my 82 years to believe there are strange phenomina that would give witness to ghosts, etc. I plan to watch this thread closely.

Kenn
08-Oct-07, 00:58
Could kinetic energy be an answer, what sort of age is your daughter?
I have no belief in ghosts but will accept that just once in a while we can experience what happened in a different time or dimension or maybe it's a kind of folk memory, the human brain is a strange place.

psyberyeti
08-Oct-07, 01:20
Could kinetic energy be an answer, what sort of age is your daughter?
I have no belief in ghosts but will accept that just once in a while we can experience what happened in a different time or dimension or maybe it's a kind of folk memory, the human brain is a strange place.

Hello Lizz,

Daughter not in the house at the time. We know where she was. Twice this happened when dark and once at about 18:00. When he/she (ghost) was here previously we experienced strange things happening at any time of day or night, but this was mostly smells, voices (on at least one occasion, I thought my son had left his TV on in his room) and the cats acting strangely (looking at the ceiling or watching certain areas of the room - not normal cat behaviour without a reason).

It could be that I am a numpty head, but it is very strange to have things going on, they stop, and then after almost 2 years they start happening again.:eek:

No, I don't believe in ghosts either - what a silly idea. You live, and then you die - just a pile of chemicals and water. No after-life.

The only explanation I can think of is the quartz rock that our house is built directly on is behaving like a sort of piezo electric crystal memory device, which may act directly on our brains via an electric field - although my electric field definitely has woolly sheep in it! So we can hear it stomping on the stairs and doors being opened and shut, but we don't see anything there.

brandy
08-Oct-07, 01:46
a tape recorder is great for recording.. set up a vid camera and you may get some poltergeist activity.. if they are opening doors!
talk to your ghostie ask it to do something..
could just be strong memories that have left an impression.
we have ghosties, but they just visit every now and again..
they tend to follow my family around.. the freakiest was when a little girl partially materialised in front of my cousin. shes never been the same *laughs*
but said little girl had been around for ages. we would catch peeks of her around corners or hear her giggling.. we thouth it was one of the twins for the longest times till we realised that the twins were not there one day when she was popping around.
my aunt told her she didnt belive in her.. and she threw everything in the closet out into the floor...
so you im a tried and tested believer

Jeemag_USA
08-Oct-07, 02:32
Maybe your ghost went on holiday for a couple of years and had a bad experience and came back all grumpy and foul smelling [lol]

Seriously though, interesting topic, I have no ghost stories and have not stayed in houses with any paranormal activitiy, but I have heard stories from people who believe they have, pretty fascinating. Have you investigated the hostory of the house you are in?

PS if you don't believe in ghosts how can you say 'ours' disappeared two years ago? You have one or you don't have one?

Thumper
08-Oct-07, 09:11
I myself do believe in ghost and know that I have just set myself up for a "roasting" for admitting it.I dont know why I believe i just do.I had some noises and footsteps in my house and was told by a clairvoyant that it was my guardian angel making the noises just to let me know he was watching over me at a very difficult time in my life.Maybe it is a lot of bunkum but when you hear soebody walking across the room above you and you know your the only one in the house it does make you start to wonder :eek: x

johno
08-Oct-07, 09:39
the only ghosts in wick are up at the quoiting shed after the members have had a good session.? Sorry folk,s i dont believe in ghosts. it,s just not feasable .

BRIE
08-Oct-07, 09:47
have you done any house alterations in the two years your ghost was away?
If you disturb the surrounding it can unsettle a ghost whos otherwise been quite happy.
Yes ghosts can move around & travel with you.
weve lived in a few properties where theres been spirits, they can frighten the life out of you! one used to hide things from you & he wouldnt let you find it until you'd asked for it back:lol: ( how crazy am I sounding! but true)

telfordstar
08-Oct-07, 10:24
wow I love ghost stories although I have never encountered one I still like to believe that there are some, all good ones ,going around I looking forward to reading some stories of peoples experiences:D

Murdina Bug
08-Oct-07, 10:32
We recently had someone in our house to do tarot card readings and she said that although our house wasn't haunted (i.e. had a resident ghost) we did get spirit visitations. She then went on to describe the lady whose presence she was feeling and it was a spot on description of my auld auntie who had lived there before us!

She also reckoned my son could sense spirits and funnily, when he was a baby and was gazing intently into corners we always used to ask him who he was talking to!

Odd little things have happened in the house, cold spots, lights etc but as it is an old family property I figure that it's only the old relations saying hello so we are not concerned by it.

zappster
08-Oct-07, 10:37
I didnt believe in Ghosts until a couple of years ago when I witnessed something that to this day I cannot explain ..Believe me I was petrified

BRIE
08-Oct-07, 10:42
what did you see zappster??

paris
08-Oct-07, 10:51
We lived in a haunted house in Linc's for 8 yrs. It was then that i became a spiritualist and trained medium. We had some very strange things happen , the dog used to sit and beg, paw up , to nothing, but it looked like he was begging to someone standing in front of him. We had taps that came on , lights switched of, things moved/hidden , furniture moved, BUT after being terrified we learnt to live with it and took it all very calm. I used to sit and encourage it to manifest but it never did, dark shadows were seen but that was about it. Hubby being a non believer was in bed early one evening and something got on the bed and pinned him down, he said it was really heavy and he couldn't move. ( no it wasn't me ) lol . I could go on for ever about this but some would get bored so i will stop now . Jan x

Welcomefamily
08-Oct-07, 11:08
I used to live on Exmoor, we did up an old barn which I later found out belonged to a man who hanged himself when he found out that his son died of Aids.
As I found out more while its was being converted, I found that I knew the person (many years prior.)
The power supplies on Exmoor are not very good so you often had long power cuts and during one of these power cuts on one occasion I asked my wife where the lattern was, she said its was in the side board which was a large old oak thing with a door which nearly pulled your arms off to open it. Using the pocket torch I walked into the kitchen and shone it at the side board, the door slowly opened and the lattern rolled across the floor about 10 feet to my feet.
My wife said when I went back into the lounge she said I was as white as a ghost. The next day I spoke to the local vicar, he said to leave it, it was being helpful. As a very logical person it freaked me out for a while.

zappster
08-Oct-07, 14:19
what did you see zappster??

In the Travel Lodge at Inshes(Inverness)(yes I know its a relativly new building)what I Thought at first was the bairn getting up to go to the toilet at 4am the figure stood up & I could see its head (sillouette as the street light was shining in at the side of the curtains)look around the room twice..As i sat up & said ma bairns name(bear in mind i thought it was him standing on the bed confused being in a hotel room) the figure moved across in front of the curtains & vanished. .Everyone else including the bairn was fast asleep under the covers.I CAKED MASELL!!

spiggie
08-Oct-07, 15:03
My granny's old house used to be haunted - you would hear babies crying in the night, knocking on doors, foot steps, furniture being dragged across the floor upstairs things tapping you on the back eeeugh!!

When they knocked the house down they found bones in the walls, although it was thought they were animal bones as it was supposed to be lucky to put the bones of your animal in the walls of your house at the time baring in mind the house was well over 100 years old.

lady penelope
08-Oct-07, 23:10
The house we now live in used to belong to an old lady who had lived here all her life and died a spinster. I say goodnite to Janet because ,although I never knew her, this will always be her house and her spirit lives on.

What this house has witnessed is in the walls and a big old house always has memories, noises, smells, unexplained phenomena and although I am not settling as well as I'd like, the house has always welcomed us.

Blazing Sporrans
09-Oct-07, 00:14
I used to think that I'm too sensible to believe in ghosts, but I always come back to a family story involving my late uncle. As a young man he lived in one of the smaller Western Isles with his parents and was driving home one night in torrential rain. As he passed the airport shed, he saw an elderly lady whom he recognised and as it was a small place, where everybody knew everybody else (not to mention the terrible weather) he stopped to give her a lift. As he drove, she asked him to do her a favour, which was to pass a very important message to the local priest, who had since moved on to Glasgow. He was puzzled that she'd ask him to do such a thing, after all she could phone the priest, however he agreed. The condition was though, that he was not to share the message with another living soul apart from the priest. Drawing up to her house, he let her out at the bottom of the path that led up the hill to her front door. No sooner was she out of the van than the hairs stood up on the back of his neck and he realised that this woman had passed away recently. He never knew why it didn't register before then, in fact he said he had an unusual feeling of overwhelming calm while she sat in his van, however the minute she was out, he panicked. Looking up the path, there was no sign of her - she'd completely disappeared. In a state, my uncle raced home, ran into the house and locked the door behind him (absolutely unheard of in that part of the world in those days). His mother realised that something was wrong and pressed him on it. Eventually he told her everything, with the exception of the content of the message, which he nearly blurted out, but his mother stopped him, insisting that the message was not meant to be heard by her. When he asked his mother what he should do, she said it was quite simple - he had to go to Glasgow and pass the message on as requested. My uncle had little money of his own, so his parents even paid for his trip on the ferry to the mainland. He went to visit the priest in Glasgow, who seemed not in the least disturbed by the content of the message - apparently it made perfect sense to him. He thanked my uncle and told him that the old caileach would be at peace now.

Now obviously many will scoff at this tale, however in all my years, I have never met a more straightforward, sensible (not to mention teetotal) individual. In fact if it was ANY of my other relatives I'd be much more sceptical, but I believe in him 100%. In fact I only learned of this story through my late aunt and my uncle was always quiet when she recounted it to others. She was always frustrated though that he would never tell her the content of the message for the priest, saying it was intended for one person and one person only. He carried that promise to his grave.

Welcomefamily
09-Oct-07, 10:33
Its just one of the many parts of life that we are unable to explain by the conventions of science and yet it is surprising how many people have experiences like these. Surely it all cant be figments of our imagination?

hotrod4
09-Oct-07, 11:52
I dont believe nor dis-believe.
I am very open-minded,but over this last while certain things have happened when mentioning a dearly departed loved one that make me tend to belive more.

We were having a wee dram one night and were discussing said individual.
We commented on a possession that belonged to that person,We then heard a thump from upstairs.Thought nothing off it and continued talking.
Every time this possession was mentioned THUMP!!!!.
So being rather cheeky and knowing this persons sense of humour I continued to "bait" them.
The result-More banging and thumping,(only when posession mentioned) but I had a strange warm feeling by it all and No sense of fear at all.
Done the obvious checks but nothing we could find made the noises.
Thought maybe it was"the drink talking!!" but defenitely heard and felt something that night.
Could've been co-incidence that the banging happened evrey time I mentioned it but seemed very real to me.

That is why I dont have a definite Yes or No on the subject, Intrigued DEFINITELY!!!

Thumper
09-Oct-07, 13:45
I think that ghosts do exsist it's just that we are more conditioned now to "explain it away".I remember a few years back stopping at the mound for a break from driving with my ,then Hubby.It was a lovely night and while enjoying the view all of a sudden out of nowhere this white shape just appeared and swooped right up to the windscreen and then just disappeared again!Don't know who was whiter or more shaken by it me or the hubby but we both definately saw something!A few years after that I was driving past the mound with a friend of mine and she said to me, "you know what?Me and my boyfriend were sitting in that carpark one night when a white shape appeared out of nowhere and came flying right up to the windscreen"!...I nearly crashed the car when she said it as I had never told anyone about the night that I had seen it :eek: x

psyberyeti
10-Oct-07, 23:46
[quote=Blazing Sporrans He never knew why it didn't register before then, in fact he said he had an unusual feeling of overwhelming calm while she sat in his van, however the minute she was out, he panicked. .[/quote]

There are some great spooky stories here. I wanted to tell our experiences, and find out other peoples, to see if there is a common link. I have watched some of the 'Most Haunted' programmes, but I am sure that they are made up for their entertainment value, so by definition, they are not particulary entertaining. I told the lady in one of the Tongue shops of our ghost story and she told us of hers. It was well scary - I won't say which shop. So I know that there are real local ghost stories.

A scary bit of my experience was similar to BlazingSporran, the overwhelming feeling of calm (scary calm). I was sitting in my chair, about 22:00 hours with TV and small lights on when, what I now presume is our ghost (yes, I know I don't believe in ghosts so I must be nuts), walked along infront of the window, passed the TV and stood between myself an overhead light above and to one side. It blotted out the light from the TV and the small light. I sat there and thought, 'Yup, I am awake. I am not dreaming. I should be as scared as hell.' But, I felt very very calm. The tall grey, indistinct column of whatever just faded away.

I did not panic, but I quickly left the room and headed for bed, turning lights on and off in sequence behind me so that I would not get caught in the dark. I spent most of the night peering over the duvet in case our friend deceided to appear upstairs. It's all been quiet since then - until last week...[evil] (I believe this is the point where you 'muh-ha-ha' or something like that).

We have a new house, built on the floor area of a house where an old lady died in a fire some years ago, so there is no fabric to the original house, just the rock below.:cool:

paris
11-Oct-07, 11:39
Ive been on a Ghost hunting night with an x member of " most haunted " at an old air field in north Linc's. ( Good night as well ) But he told us that most haunted IS fake. Don't know if he said that out of spite or if its true . Jan x

Bananas
11-Oct-07, 18:02
I though I’d add my experiences to the debate. Many moons ago when I was about 17, I went home to use the loo, as I approached the toilet flushed - nobody was in! I just made a dash for it.

Another story - my grandmothers house was supposedly haunted, my aunts talked on a grey lady coming out of a cupboard in one of the rooms, that was some forty years ago or more. Just last year I obtained a 1900 postcard of the house and there is a reflection of a little old lady in the window of the haunted room. Unfortunately I seem to be the only one who can see it! I can email the jpeg to anyone that wants a look. It could be I’m just bananas!

Victoria
11-Oct-07, 20:53
Our old family home was haunted and nearly eveyone that came there had an experience.

I remember waking up when I was about 4 and seeing a very bright person shaped light at the end of the bed. I went to scream but nothing would come out and I couldn't move. Took me a little while to be able to speak and when i finally cried out fo my mum the light dissapeared.

People also used to see a large man shaped shadow in the same place walking past a doorway - even people that didn't know about it would say "did someone just walk past there".

We also had cats and they would stare at the spot where the shaddow was seen for hours.

One night I heard singing when no-one else was in the house and we would aften hear footsteps from above when you were sat in the lounge even though the room above was always kept locked!!

There was also a general un-easy feeling about the place (a bit like the feeling you get when you think someone is watching you) but I have since learnt that this feeling can be linked when there is a high voltage of electricity around such as a fuse or junction box or faulty wiring.

Someone before mentions Most Haunted which in my opinion is very fake but I have found a better American version called 'GhostHunters' and it is brilliant!

Instead of blaming every little bump and noise on a ghost the try and dis-prove it and then if they cant then maybe this is paranormal activity. Its on sky but you can also watch it on YouTube - I highly recommend it for anyone interested in this kind of thing.

oldmarine
12-Oct-07, 01:44
Very interesting posts here. None of these things ever happened to me, but I have read a lot of similar activity. Instead of discounting these claims, they make me wonder about the possibility of truth. I am an Engineer who majored in science and my profession taught me to examine everything for absolute truth. However, events such as this happens too often for me to discount them as false.

northener
12-Oct-07, 16:57
Was always a confirmed non-believer.....was.

Back in 1979/80 I went to the Swann Hunter shipyard in Newcastle as part of the core crew for the Royal Navy's latest type 42 destroyer HMS Glasgow.

Whilst she was being built (before we arrived), there was an explosion and fire on board which resulted in the deaths of a number of Swann-Hunters' dockyard employees.

Nothing to see, all sorted out, so off we went on our travels across the seas.

Fast forward a bit -

The Refrigeration Machinery space, where the deaths occurred, was always a strange place to work in. Invariably you always had the feeling you were being watched, both in this machinery space and the compartments immediately around it.

Usually when you were on watch in the early hours of the morning, tired, not all there, you'd see something move out of the corner of your eye or maybe a spanner would 'develop legs' and move a few feet from where you left it. Sometimes you'd ask who was in the machinery space as you'd just seen a figure behind some machinery - always getting shrugs and 'dunno' as a reply.

This led to a ghostie being created by us to frighten the newer recruits - we named it/he/she 'Derek the Dockie'.
'Derek' was usually blamed for anything that wasn't quite right on board the ship, breakdowns, things going missing, anything we couldn't explain or even anything we wanted to weasel out of!
We all sort of accepted that maybe there was some sort of apparition on board but treated it as a joke or -at worst- a friendly spirit that liked to play pranks now and again.

Until the following happened.

1982. We're on our way back from the Falklands War, battered but OK. We have sustained serious battle damage and have on board a number of civilian engineers (transferred across from the support ship Stena Sea Spread) to help with repairs en route to Portsmouth.

It's 3 in the morning and my mate 'H' is on watch and tasked with checking the readings on the refrigeration equipment in the Refrigeration Space. 'H' leaves the rest of the watchkeepers in the Machinery Control Room and sets off on his hourly rounds.

A few minutes later 'H' smashes back into the Control Room. He is in a state of near hysteria, cannot speak, is shaking uncontrollably and is terrified of something. Repeated attempts to find out what the problem is are met with gibberish. We have to inform the Bridge that we have a problem, possibly a fire, and may have to call 'Hands to Emergency Stations' as a precaution.

We despatch runners all over the ship but cannot find any evidence of a problem. So we stand everyone down.

Eventually 'H' calms down. I can still see him, sat on the deck, back against a bulkhead, white as a sheet and trying desperately to stop shaking enough to smoke the fag and drink the hot choccy that he's been given.

This is what he told us:

He'd set off as normal on his rounds. On his way forward he'd passed one of the civvy engineers who was obviously working late into the night. They'd both said 'Hi' and gone their seperate ways.

'H' went down into the Refrigeration Machinery Space and began checking over the compressors. After a couple of minutes he realised there was another civilian engineer in the space with him (easy to spot, we wear blue overalls - this guy was wearing green). The engineer was crouched with his back to 'H', facing the bulkhead and didn't seem to notice that 'H' was there.

'H' didn't think anything of it until, after a few minutes, 'H' realised that the figure was still crouching with his back towards 'H' and wasn't actually doing anything. - Just crouching - motionless.

Being a bit concerned, 'H' wandered over and called out over the noise of the compressor. - no response. So 'H' leans over and gently taps the guy on the shoulder.

The guy turned his head to look up at 'H'.

And as 'H' later said "I have have never been so terrified in my life"

The guy had no face.

'H' said - "The back of the head was there, the sides were there, but the face was just a void -a hole. You couldn't see anything, it was a completely empty space with nothing to focus on. I just ran and scrambled back up the ladder as fast as I could."

It's worth saying that 'H' refused point-blank ever to enter that compartment again. Normally he would have been on a charge for direct disobedience for refusing to carry out his duties.

But he was never, ever, challenged over his refusal.

There's a lot we don't know.

oldmarine
13-Oct-07, 01:21
Was always a confirmed non-believer.....was.

Fast forward a bit -

1982. We're on our way back from the Falklands War, battered but OK. We have sustained serious battle damage and have on board a number of civilian engineers (transferred across from the support ship Stena Sea Spread) to help with repairs en route to Portsmouth.

Northener: Pardon me for extracting this small bit of your post. I wish to make a comment:
I was with a team on a small classified island off the coast of Honduras providing classified support to a large ship during the Falklands War. We were transmitting classified data by way of satellite communications to that ship. What a small world it is to meet up with someone many years later who was a part of that operation. I was an engineer with classified clearance to have access to that classified data for classified transmission. I realise this is straying from the topic, but I feel compelled to pass it on to you.

northener
13-Oct-07, 10:36
Hi OldMarine.

Going off topic, so I've PM'd you.

Mik.M.
13-Oct-07, 23:32
Have lived in various haunted places and had a polterguist attatched to me (thankfully no more!) and have had just the one experience in my new house on my second night here. If your daughter is under the age of seven or over 14 she will be more attractive to ghosts, she will have a brighter energy. It may just be that you've changed something and made your polterguist unhappy. They do often go away for a while and come back again but usually it is only a month or two and not 2 years, but it is not unheard of. If you are worried about her and your safety and peace of mind put a bible open at psalm 91 in her room and yours, If it doesn't work get back to me. There are other things I've learnt that get me peace and quiet from ghosties!

moureen
14-Oct-07, 13:51
My Uncle Paw used to visit me when I went back home to Tongue to have my daughter every night he came and stood at the side of my bed{Paw died in my bedroom} until one night i said to him "Paw you keep wakening me go away " from that night I never saw him again.I was never frightened I knew he would not harm me unlike the man who visited me in my home in Culloden I knew from the moment I saw him that he wanted my son but thats another story if any one wants to hear it let me know.By the way I can still describe him even although its 26yrs ago his face still haunts me.

katarina
14-Oct-07, 15:31
If psychics can tap in to spirits then they must exist. What I'd like to ask a believer is, Why do they come back?

Thumper
14-Oct-07, 19:58
If psychics can tap in to spirits then they must exist. What I'd like to ask a believer is, Why do they come back?
usually it's simple...unfinished business x

oldmarine
15-Oct-07, 03:22
My Uncle Paw used to visit me when I went back home to Tongue to have my daughter every night he came and stood at the side of my bed{Paw died in my bedroom} until one night i said to him "Paw you keep wakening me go away " from that night I never saw him again.I was never frightened I knew he would not harm me unlike the man who visited me in my home in Culloden I knew from the moment I saw him that he wanted my son but thats another story if any one wants to hear it let me know.By the way I can still describe him even although its 26yrs ago his face still haunts me.

That sounds like a nightmare. Do you think he wanted to take your son away in death? I've never heard anything such as that.

moureen
15-Oct-07, 22:47
I knew from the moment that I opened my eyes and saw the man standing watching us sleeping that he wanted Phillip{Phill was just a baby and I had taken him into my bed for a wee while}How? I do'nt know I just knew, I screamed for my husband to come up and the man just faded before my eyes.I have spoken many yrs later to some one who told me maybe the man was trying to warn me that I would not have Phill for long but I did not understand.A night mare it was'nt I know the difference the man was "real" and yes I have lost my son.

oldmarine
17-Oct-07, 22:58
GhostlyCarAd.wmv

:lol:[lol]

oldmarine
17-Oct-07, 23:05
I knew from the moment that I opened my eyes and saw the man standing watching us sleeping that he wanted Phillip{Phill was just a baby and I had taken him into my bed for a wee while}How? I do'nt know I just knew, I screamed for my husband to come up and the man just faded before my eyes.I have spoken many yrs later to some one who told me maybe the man was trying to warn me that I would not have Phill for long but I did not understand.A night mare it was'nt I know the difference the man was "real" and yes I have lost my son.

Your story is sad. How did you lose your son and at what age? Did it tie in with what you visualised during your earlier years? I've never heard of such a happening like that with anyone except you.

sharon
17-Oct-07, 23:18
i must have one that eats everything and makes a awful mess!!!! [lol] nothing to do with my 4 kids.

i do like watching most haunted! when i am in the house alone and get totally spooked out!

years ago my 2nd daughter when she was 3 or 4 said to me that there's a man in her room and once when we were pulling out of the drive she said she seen a man at the window of her room, but never said it again after that.
there has been a few times that i think i have seen something out the corner of my eye, but maybe its my imagination running away with me :roll:

Mik.M.
18-Oct-07, 11:51

Mostly it's unfinished business but there are a few bad spirits out there. Ones I have met I won't go into as v bad and would rather forget. Some are things from 'other realms' as it were and do not have human form at all. Some just come back to check in, i.e. relations. My great uncle still comes to visit now and again,doesn't matter where I am. My nan also popped in to see my daughter when she was born. Most people you love and have recently died will come back a week or two after their death to say goodbye, as it were. There is also a theory that if they die quickly or in a horrible way then they are stuck and have to be sent on, other ghosts are more place memory, like a video playing over and over a series of events, like the old man that used to walk up the stairs in my old house at 6.30 every morning regular as clockwork.