PDA

View Full Version : Packing Boxes

Fluff
07-Oct-07, 18:02
Pfft, I never realised just how tiring packing things is! I am knackerd, and I am still not done!

Still, eyes on the prize...

Anyone got any funny stories about moving?

BRIE
07-Oct-07, 18:05
remember my dad moving my sister with a car & trailer & losing a few boxes on the motorway!! my sister wasnt impressed:lol:

stekar
07-Oct-07, 20:54
Don't think there's anything funny about moving, it drives you mental!!

Last time we moved, removal van was due at mid-day. It arrived at 8am, I was still in my nightclothes and in need of a shower.

Van got loaded up, and we were still waiting on a call to say the sale had been completed. Talk about stress.....

mums angels
07-Oct-07, 21:43
i thought my last move would be easy ...no boxes to pack etc as we were literally moving across the road but it was even worse..we were like wee ants carrying things across exactly as they were , talk about the neighbours knowing exactly what you have :lol:.

MISS K
08-Oct-07, 09:10
I have moved twice in 6 months :eek:nightmare!!!!!! first time was at the end of january moving up here, 2 days before the move the removal company pulled out, we also thought we had sorted out a joiner for removing a window, that also fell through, aaaarrggghhh stress, we get new removal company load up and get here for the new joiner to break the window, putting it back in, anyway at the end of july we bought our own home and moved from one and of town to the other and it was a nightmare packing up again, but not any of the hassle we had moving up here.:Razz

paris
08-Oct-07, 11:16
When we moved from Linc's to Lybster we had a lwb sprinter van of our own, a 4x4 and also hired a van for a friend to drive......All loaded up and 16 hours on the rd we arrived. The van we hired only did 50miles an hour so it took forever to get there but we did it . Wish i was still there !! janx

dunderheed
08-Oct-07, 11:29
haven't moved for a few years now but have vowed this time to use professionals

huh
08-Oct-07, 12:16
haven't moved for a few years now but have vowed this time to use professionals

Definitely, doing it with family and a smallish van has to be one of the most stressful occasions I've encountered. You have to bite your lip too as they're doing you a favour. Oh the broken CD cases. :~(

rhino
08-Oct-07, 12:38
we moved here last year. I DIDN'T have any problems!!!!!

I was already up here with work and left the missus to do it all!!!!!

She had to sell the house, packupeverything including the 3 cats, dog and 3 children.

Joking aside, i am SORRY that she was left to it all and i hope she knows that i do appreciate her for all that she put herself through.

Fluff
08-Oct-07, 13:35
Rhino, I know how she feels! The boyfriend has left almost everything to me grr!

Well we got the keys this morning. Now the fun begins. What really dosnt help is
1. we have no wheelie bins and i can't get a hold of the landlord
2. i cant figure out how to turn the fridge on!!! ( it is built into the cupboard) saying that the dish washer won't come on either)

Grr, well I will be off and on here for god knows how long, need to get the net set up!

stekar
08-Oct-07, 16:03
We used to have a built in fridge freezer. To plug it in you had to stand on a chair then you could just see the socket which was about 4 inches from the ceiling. Of course this was hidden from normal view.

If it's just a built in fridge, this will be of no help to you whatever, but thought I'd mention it. Good Luck!

Fluff
08-Oct-07, 16:15
Thank you steker, it all helps! it is a built in fridge with a small freezer dept in it. I think it must be connected at the same socket as the dishwasher as it wont come in either.
I dont think we have any heating or hot waterat the moment too. getting abit irked! I am really looking forward to moving in, it has all gone so well up until now!

huh
08-Oct-07, 16:34
Maybe there's a switch at the fusebox thing you have to flip?

johno
08-Oct-07, 16:40
these things usually are on an illuminated switch somewhwere near
or it may be that they are off at the circuit breaker,s in the consumer box. good luck you will find them. :cool:

Fluff
08-Oct-07, 16:51
Nope, checked those. Thing is the cooker and washer/dryer works, but they have switches above them.
I am hoping the landlord phones me back soon, it is getting on my nerves not knowing!

johno
08-Oct-07, 16:59
has it got a fuse box with the modern curcuit breakers if so there may be buttons on them to test. if you press the buttons the power might go off you then just push them again. if your sure that there ar,nt illuminated switches. there has to somewhere . or if you press the buttons anyway as they well may be off. if its the old boxes ,i doubt it ,
the fuse wire may be blown. cant see that though. there has to be switches .the cooker will be on its own breaker. & the washer etc obviously is on a different circuit

lady penelope
08-Oct-07, 22:57
Apart from doing everything ,dog,cats ,kids, house and removal the morning of my last move the removal men arrived early , I was totally disorganised. They were a day early!:eek:

One of the men was a total letch and kept brushing past me and staring where he shouldn't! My other half thought it was hilarious.

10 years ago was a bad move. We did the move ourselves and all the neighbourhood kids decided to 'help!'

Carrying boxes for us and just getting in the way nosing in the boxes.

I'm sure some stuff disappeared that day to whosever pocket it found its way into[lol]

Whitewater
08-Oct-07, 23:10
My funniest story about moving goes back many years now. It was before the days of the drive-on ferries to Orkney.

My very good friend was an avid collector of books, and still is, with the view of setting up a good quality second hand book shop when he retired. However, he had to move to Orkney, so he purchased an old caravan to transport the books. It seemed a brilliant idea until it was time to sling it and lift it aboard the old St Ola. The caravan was duly slung with the proper ropes and slings, the crane began the lift, it didn't strain as we had expected. Instead the body came neatly off the caravan and left the chasis and books on the pier. We were not impressed but couldn't help joining the crew in rolling about with laughter.

Anne x
09-Oct-07, 12:58
We had a very good move last year from Thurso to Aberdeen we used a Local company they came packed everything and transported them to the new house we also had a gap of a day which enabled us to travel down we met up with them at the new house and the keys were late in being handed over !!! but they hung around and put all the big pieces of furniture into the correct rooms nice bunch of lads

Dadie
09-Oct-07, 19:02
I painted the inside of my hubbys car light green and i think we managed to pack a spider in each box...i cant cope with spiders ..

Fluff
09-Oct-07, 20:44
well we managed to get the fridge and dishwasher to work. there was a hidden socket in the back of a cupboard under a shelf lol. got hot water and heating too.
thunderbirds are go!