PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic testing

rs 2k
07-Oct-07, 17:22
Hi

could anyone tell me if there is a chemist in Thurso that does diabetic testing??

Or is it the doctor only?

gollach
07-Oct-07, 17:40
It should only be done by your doctor as there are several tests that need to be done to rule other things out. Ask for an early appointment with the GP as you should have a fasting blood test - nothing to eat or drink at all before having the blood taken.

ploo251
07-Oct-07, 19:00
It should only be done by your doctor as there are several tests that need to be done to rule other things out. Ask for an early appointment with the GP as you should have a fasting blood test - nothing to eat or drink at all before having the blood taken.

Your doctor will be able to diagnose you if you are diabetic without fasting. If you think you maybe are diabetic just get along to your doc as soon as possible.

brandy
07-Oct-07, 20:18
just remember the signs of diabetis..
tiredness, lots and lots of peeing,
always thirsty..
essesive weight loss or gain
shaky, i always get shaky and groggy when my sugar goes up!

footie chick
07-Oct-07, 22:04
Hi

could anyone tell me if there is a chemist in Thurso that does diabetic testing??

Or is it the doctor only?

If you suspect you are diabetic the doctor will be able to give you all the reasurrance and treatment you need.

oldmarine
08-Oct-07, 00:37
I was diagnosed by my doctor that I am a diabetic during the 1980's. I have been on medication since 1988 when I had open heart surgery. Since then I have been on different prescription drugs as diagnosed by my doctor. What you have read above are the truth and you should visit your doctor.

Anne x
08-Oct-07, 00:40
If you have a lloyds pharmacy they do it or Dr best but do it

rs 2k
08-Oct-07, 00:54
Thanx for all the replies

I just thought i better get tested as my granny and granddad have it and my little sister was diagnosed with type 1 last year, she is 31yrs old

This last month or so i have been feeling tired all the time, going to the toilet all the time, feeling giddy and thirsty a lot of the time too

I think i should go to the docs just to get tested

I have seen ads on the telly for this sort of testing for Lloyds, thats why i wondered if any chemist here does it

thanx again

Lindsay

scorrie
08-Oct-07, 15:40
just remember the signs of diabetis..
tiredness, lots and lots of peeing,
always thirsty..
essesive weight loss or gain
shaky, i always get shaky and groggy when my sugar goes up!

Hi Brandy, How high does your sugar have to be before it makes you feel groggy? I only get problems when my sugars are low. I have been down to 1.2 and seeing stars but still had full awareness. At the other end of the scale I have been at 26.0 but felt no ill effects at all. Was just interested as to how it affects other people.

rs 2k
08-Oct-07, 23:09
Thanx guys :D

was at doctors today and i have to go back thurs morning for the fasting blood test, nothing to eat or drink apart from water after 10pm wed night,get results a week later

Cheers everyone

emb123
09-Oct-07, 00:38
Good luck RS 2K
Bon apetit afterwards too! :)

Metalattakk
09-Oct-07, 04:07
Hi Brandy, How high does your sugar have to be before it makes you feel groggy? I only get problems when my sugars are low. I have been down to 1.2 and seeing stars but still had full awareness. At the other end of the scale I have been at 26.0 but felt no ill effects at all. Was just interested as to how it affects other people.

I get the 'warning signs' way before it gets as low as 1.2! Trembling, double vision, light-headedness, and then the sweats - literally every single pore in my body will utterly drench me in sweat. Most uncomfortable, I can assure you. Usually of course, I recognise the signals pretty quickly and it doesn't get that far though.

As for high blood sugar levels, I get a sweet, almost tangy taste in my mouth when my blood sugar levels are anywhere above 12. It's almost like the sugar in my blood is seeping into my saliva, or something. Maybe it is...? :D

Anyway, my last HBA1 test came back as 7.1, which to me is not too bad. Blood pressure is under control, as is cholesterol (3.1). Just got to get the weight down a bit. ;)

scorrie
09-Oct-07, 17:42
I get the 'warning signs' way before it gets as low as 1.2! Trembling, double vision, light-headedness, and then the sweats - literally every single pore in my body will utterly drench me in sweat. Most uncomfortable, I can assure you. Usually of course, I recognise the signals pretty quickly and it doesn't get that far though.

As for high blood sugar levels, I get a sweet, almost tangy taste in my mouth when my blood sugar levels are anywhere above 12. It's almost like the sugar in my blood is seeping into my saliva, or something. Maybe it is...? :D

Anyway, my last HBA1 test came back as 7.1, which to me is not too bad. Blood pressure is under control, as is cholesterol (3.1). Just got to get the weight down a bit. ;)

Thanks for sharing the information. I am normally aware when my sugar gets below 4.0, most of my hypos occur around about 3.5, although 2.0 or less has been known. They are a very unpleasant experience for me.

My long term average has not been good. I am currently on acctrapid three times a day and lantus once to try to avoid night hypos. I have known my reading to go from 21.0 to 3.0 in less than two hours. When I was first diagnosed in hospital my reading was 44.8 and the nurse seemed to think I should have been comatose at that level.

My weight also needs to drop!!

brandy
09-Oct-07, 19:36
im doing very poorly right now with my sugars, they hit 24.5 and knocked me for a loop.
if they ever get to 3 i feel wonky. had a hba1c last week and it was 9.7 the highest its ever been.
been in bed last few days, ihave an infection and that make your sugars worse... so not so fun.

scorrie
09-Oct-07, 23:05
im doing very poorly right now with my sugars, they hit 24.5 and knocked me for a loop.
if they ever get to 3 i feel wonky. had a hba1c last week and it was 9.7 the highest its ever been.
been in bed last few days, ihave an infection and that make your sugars worse... so not so fun.

Sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. Thanks for taking the time to post. I feel lucky that I can go high without feeling ill but worry about my long-term average. Look after yourself, best wishes.

vodka-queen
09-Oct-07, 23:11
I also have a few diabetics in the family and one time i felt so strange and in another world i tested my blood and it was 1.2 nearly took a heart attack

rs 2k
07-Nov-07, 17:29
Hi everyone

Just an update

I had a couple more tests with the recent 1 being fasting then blood test done then a bottle of lucozade sit for 2 hours then another blood test done

Got my results on monday and i am diabetic (type 2)

I have to go to c diabetic nurse tomorrow

The doc said i have to control it myself without tablets to c how i get on,

So any advise would b good coz i don't have a clue, only no sugary stuff, salt, fried stuff etc and exercise

Thanx

Lindsay

highlander
07-Nov-07, 17:47
I did not know i was diabetic until i ended up in intensive care in Inverness, i was admitted to hospital for other reasons, they were giving me this huge syringes of insulin along with antibotics, it was not until i was down stairs in the ward i said to one of the nurses i could not read the clock properly, it was fuzzy, she told me it was the side affects of the medicine i was getting in I.C.U. When they did a blood sugar test it was 22 and told me yes i was type 2 diabetic, now i take tablets. Just back last week from my diabetic clinic and blood levels are now 5.7.

fred
07-Nov-07, 18:04
So any advise would b good coz i don't have a clue, only no sugary stuff, salt, fried stuff etc and exercise

The trick is to eat little and often rather than having big meals.

percy toboggan
07-Nov-07, 21:29
Thanx guys :D

was at doctors today and i have to go back thurs morning for the fasting blood test, nothing to eat or drink apart from water after 10pm wed night,get results a week later

Cheers everyone

Good luck. I'm diabetic - diet controlled for three years - almost borderline. Always best to know though and be monitored regularly. Big problems can ensure if you leave it for too long.

The link with obesity is often overstated. I've never been 'obese' and weight less than twelve stone.
Let us know how you get on.

I think you need to see a dietician for advice. Or, try a low GI diet.