PDA

View Full Version : nekkid potty training!

brandy
07-Oct-07, 16:54
ok getting desprate now.. trying to get this boy out of pull ups!
have resorted to the nekkid potty training tech. which did work for sam.
ben just brought me a pull up wanting it on.. threw a fit when i said no.. and i told him to go sit on his pit if he needed to go.
think im gonna have to turn into bad mommy now.. and just say look you are to big for a pull up.. go pee in the pot!
the thing about it is.. he does go to the toilet at night time,
well he tries, dosent always pee.. but he does stand their like a big boy and tries.
i feel bad as hes laying in the floor now crying wanting a nappy on.
hes brought me the whole pack now. and is desprate to have one on.. but if he has it on hes gonna use it!
arghhhhh!!!
have tried him with pants as well .. and he just goes in the pants!
ok end of rant.. sitting here calmly waiting for him to pee in the floor!

rockchick
07-Oct-07, 17:03
I tried to potty train my daughter by "force" - making her sit on the potty when she was desperate for her nappy. She held onto her pee for over an hour! crying and pleading all the time. I finally gave in and let her have what she wanted. This scenario showed me that she could certainly hold her pee if she wanted to, so she was physically ready to be trained, but I had to get it into HER head that she was ready.

A while later she made up her mind, started using the potty and never looked back. I think she only had two "accidents" in total, which I thought was pretty good.

Your son might not be psychologically ready to give up his pull-ups yet. Don't force the issue, he'll get there eventually.

telfordstar
07-Oct-07, 17:07
hi brandy

have you tried the making a great big fuss over him when he does go for a pee and even giving him his own wee sticker/reward for doing it. if all else fails get his big brother to let him in when he goes for a pee see how the big boys do it. have you tried saying that all the boys and girls in his class at playgroup dont wear pull ups anymore.:D

footie chick
07-Oct-07, 17:07
Bribery worked for me. If he stayed dry all day he got a tub of playdough until he had all the colours. I also hid all of the pull ups so he had to use pants.

brandy
07-Oct-07, 17:11
no hes def. ready.. shows all the signs.. i think its more hard headishness than anything.
if i tell sam to go pee.. ben is thier first. when he wants to he will pull his pull up down and try and pee in the big toilet.. i know hes no where near to night time ready.. its just that i know he is ready for day time in the house potty trained.
its getting him to understand .. he dosent need a pull up on. hes gotten to the point that when he poos the pull up comes straight off.. and it makes a HUGE mess... as he cant stand to have a wet or dirty pull up on.
ohh and as an add on..
yep, we have a potty dance.. and hip hip horray.. they pee together standing round the toilet.. really quite funny seeing daddy sam and ben all huddled around at teh same time!!!!
the sticker chart is up on the wall.. and he really dosent care about what other kids are doing.. tried it all... hes now 3 years old.. (since aug) and well the whole when hes ready it will happen thing is getting old.

sam
07-Oct-07, 17:18
Have you tried telling him what a clever boy he is and how he is a big boy now just like his brother, also tell him that he will be like his daddy, it's amazing what can be achieved through praise rather than bribery.
lol even try getting him to put the pull up on a teddy telling him that teddy can have them as he is a big boy who doesnt need them anymore

telfordstar
07-Oct-07, 17:31
no hes def. ready.. shows all the signs.. i think its more hard headishness than anything.
if i tell sam to go pee.. ben is thier first. when he wants to he will pull his pull up down and try and pee in the big toilet.. i know hes no where near to night time ready.. its just that i know he is ready for day time in the house potty trained.
its getting him to understand .. he dosent need a pull up on. hes gotten to the point that when he poos the pull up comes straight off.. and it makes a HUGE mess... as he cant stand to have a wet or dirty pull up on.
ohh and as an add on..
yep, we have a potty dance.. and hip hip horray.. they pee together standing round the toilet.. really quite funny seeing daddy sam and ben all huddled around at teh same time!!!!
the sticker chart is up on the wall.. and he really dosent care about what other kids are doing.. tried it all... hes now 3 years old.. (since aug) and well the whole when hes ready it will happen thing is getting old.

sounds like you are at the end of you tether with him i must be quite lucky my son was excellent coming out of nappies i never bothered with the whole pull up thing just sat in house with him all day with nothing but his pants on and took it from there. my daughter who is the same age as your son was a little bit harder to crack. i cant think of any other advice for you but i hope you crack it soon.

rockchick
07-Oct-07, 17:31
I'm trying to remember what it was that finally twigged it for my daughter, that she finally made the jump (seems so long ago! she's almost 12 now). It wasn't bribery or praise. It was like she just realized that this is what was expected of her, so she just went ahead and did it. She was 2 years 8 months, so not that much younger than your boy.

Every kid is different, so you just need to find your son's trigger. Since he's so quick to get the pull-ups off when he does dirty himself, maybe point out to him that it would be even quicker and cleaner if he went right into the potty, or something sensible like that?

Good luck!

Spring Flower
07-Oct-07, 17:34
hi there

whats the nekkid potting training technique - never heard of that one?

i think you will just have to persist with what you are doing - don't give in to giving him a pull up because you will be back to square one and gone through all the upset for nothing.

I potty trained my first at 19 months and she took to it no problem - I just put her in pants [never used pull ups]. Ok we had lots of wet pants for the first few days but she soon didn't like the feeling of the pants being wet and after a week starting using the potty. I didn't pressure her - just left the potty out and played games such as had a tea party [her chair just happened to be the potty!] and she soon got into the swing of sitting on it.

My second was done at 22 months - the only reason I left her longer was because my first had so many things on my second didn't get the consistency of going in pants because most days we had to leave the house and I didn't feel confident enough not to put her in a nappy cause she didn't have the hang of using the potty. However, I finally bit the bullet and decided not to go out for a week [anywhere] and she soon got the hang of it - again didn't put pull ups on - just went for it will pants [again lots of wet pants to start with but thats the only way they will learn].

Don't give up I am sure you will get there but as I said don't go backwards and give in - the holidays may be a good time to persist with it as you could limit the number of times you have to leave the house so you are not tempted to put the pull ups back on.

Good luck !

brandy
07-Oct-07, 18:24
the nekid potty training is just leaving them without anything on.
i found it a lot easier this way with sam as he would pee his pants.. but if he had nothing at all on.. would use the pot.
dont know why that worked, but it did.. and after about a week.. put him into pant and it worked... but tried for weeks before that.. and as long as he was in pants he would use them like a pull up.. and just pee thru them. and not even bother him..
strange i know.. but it seemed to work

telfordstar
07-Oct-07, 18:51
have you tried looking at tips from the supernanny webside shes good at what she does and maybe offer a solution or tip that none of us has thought of. my son has adhd and her website helped me alot with a few issues i was having.

Big Jean
07-Oct-07, 19:05
My boys will be so embarrassed if they happen to read this, but .....
I was given this advice a long time ago, and it worked for my boys when nothing else seemed to .
I tore off a small section of toilet paper, the stranger the shape the better, let it fall in the toilet, this became a ship or boat, and got the boys to see who could 'sink the ship'. They would compete to see who could sink it the quickest !
Might be worth a try .
Good luck.

telfordstar
07-Oct-07, 19:18
My boys will be so embarrassed if they happen to read this, but .....
I was given this advice a long time ago, and it worked for my boys when nothing else seemed to .
I tore off a small section of toilet paper, the stranger the shape the better, let it fall in the toilet, this became a ship or boat, and got the boys to see who could 'sink the ship'. They would compete to see who could sink it the quickest !
Might be worth a try .
Good luck.

if you go to superdrug they have like a funny shaped thingy to put into the toilet for that purpose a brilliant idea:D

mums angels
07-Oct-07, 19:27
Having a similar problem with my 2 year old at the minute, now the boy decided that he would sit on the potty himself about 2 months ago and if he's wearing nothing he's perfect ,completly potty trained , the problem comes when he's wearing trousers ..he just wees in them and doesn't seem to care . have no ide how to get that sorted .
other 2 were different one was done in a week very early on and second was just over 2 and cracked the weeing easily and the night time trips... number 2's were a problem :( shame they all can't be the same:lol:

las123
07-Oct-07, 20:11
Turn it into a game, i havent tried this with my boys but i have heard thats its supposed to be great fun, but put a pin pong ball down the toilet and let them pee on it, it is supposed to spin and encourage them to go back. i trained my kid when 18 months and had no problems, i stayed in the house with him for a few days until he got the hang off it. good luck!!

justine
07-Oct-07, 20:18
well i have spent alife time of what i call double deckering.I sit at the back of the toilet and put the wee one i am trying to potty train in front of me. It may take a couple of minutes or half an hour but they will need to pee, and feeling secure with you there is the best feeling a child can have.....It makes good for one on one...But as i have found out a couple of times it does not always work..Bad attention for wetting just makes it worse as the child will just keep wetting for attention.I am going through it at the mo with my little one, who is dry a playgroup all day, then all day at home until the bigger ones come in from school, and then she seems to wet herself, and i know it is becasuse of attention, which she does not get..Praise his good times and ignore the bad, he will figure out which makes mummy happy...:)

brandy
07-Oct-07, 20:21
*laughs* justine.. its ben! *G* but he does get loads of praise.. hes just being his normal self..
whew, it is good to talk to other mums though!
what was scary was he was playing with the primary 1's the other day after dropping sam off and he was near enough the same size as them! scary isnt it!

telfordstar
07-Oct-07, 20:24
*laughs* justine.. its ben! *G* but he does get loads of praise.. hes just being his normal self..
whew, it is good to talk to other mums though!
what was scary was he was playing with the primary 1's the other day after dropping sam off and he was near enough the same size as them! scary isnt it!

whats also scary is the size of some of the first years in the high school my son is 7 and hes not that much short of being same size of some of them:D

justine
07-Oct-07, 20:24
Hi brandy...yes i know when you look at them and think god i remeber when they were tiny..But it can go the other way. I have a 9 yr old who is no bigger than the p1,s....all her mates call her titch.Dont worry ben will figure it out soon enough...

BRIE
07-Oct-07, 21:29
dont lose heart brandy! as the health visitor told me when I was having trouble potty training my son 'how many kids do you see in nappies when they start school?'
dont worry he will do it when hes ready :D

squidge
08-Oct-07, 13:53
My middle boy was potty trained by being encouraged to pee in the grid outside the house - I used to say "shh its a secret - dont tell daddy" and make it a big conspiracy - He would NOT use a potty. We did that for about a week during the summer and then To move from the grid to the toilet i used a ping pong ball and the "if you do a wee wee for mummy then you can have a wee box of smarties" Bingo we were away!!!

At Lassagie
09-Oct-07, 13:02
I used Bach's Floral Remedy Walnut on my son - I too was very sceptical when I was told about it but was at the end of my tether too and was willing to try anything. 3 days later he was dry, couldnt believe it! Friends I have recommended it to also say it worked for them. Boys are really difficult arent they!

telfordstar
09-Oct-07, 15:35
I used Bach's Floral Remedy Walnut on my son - I too was very sceptical when I was told about it but was at the end of my tether too and was willing to try anything. 3 days later he was dry, couldnt believe it! Friends I have recommended it to also say it worked for them. Boys are really difficult arent they!

ive never heard of that. but must admit i have a boy and a girls and i found my son was alot easier to potty train than my daughter she is coming for and thats us just geting her ut of pull ups at bed time shes been out of nappies/pullups during the day since 2 and a half but nightimes were a bit more tricky:)

squidge
09-Oct-07, 17:15
I dont think its aboy girl thing - my eldest boy was dry at 15 months. I took his nappies off and he never wore one again and i never had an accident with him during the day. I think its just a one kid is different than another thing lol