PDA

View Full Version : Male Poodle wanted!!!

mandy&baz
07-Oct-07, 15:45
I have a black minature bitch 3 year old and am looking for a male black minature poodle for stud, she has not had a litter yet. The reason i am seeking a male is it is aparently better for the dogto have one litter.

Thanks

:Razz

brandy
07-Oct-07, 16:17
umm just curious, who told you that?
its not true at all.
i would def. speak to your vet before you decide to breed your girl.
and poodles have loads and loads of hereditrery diseases.. so you will need to check out both of them before they are bred.
and talk to your vet again.. re expences.. as it can be very very expensive..
(the reason i know all this is from my labradoodle board.. where their are several breeders.. and they have drilled into everyone about responsible breeding.. ) so if you are only wanting to breed her because you have been told.. its better for them to have a litter.. please make sure you know everything you need to first.

Liz
07-Oct-07, 17:37
Totally agree with Brandy!

It is a myth that it is better for a dog to have one litter.

mandy&baz
07-Oct-07, 17:54
My girl is a pure pedigree and kc registered and has no family history of any diseases. and would obviously have to check the same for stud.

Liz
07-Oct-07, 18:02
So do you actually want to breed from her then?

It's just that you implied that it was just because you thought it was 'better for the dog to have one litter'?
Which of course is totally untrue.

singysmum
07-Oct-07, 19:13
I also agree with brandy. I have bred many different breeds and my little poodle was the only one I lost just after she whelped and then I had to hand rear 4 puppies. I kept one of the bitch pups and had her spayed as soon as she was old enough without having any pups and she lived to the ripe old age of 15 years.

I would say enjoy your little dog and don't put her, or yourself, through the trauma of having pups, I'm sure you will all be happier. Helen

jean
14-Oct-07, 20:35
I suggest you do some reading and research.... then get your dog health checked..
see link below..
poodles are subject to a host of ailments .. my family has kept them for years and back yard breeding is not the way to go. both parents really should be tested for inherited conditions that arent obvious they may be carriers.. both sire and dam,.. and there is always the risk of your bitch dying while whelping. potentially you could be left with a dead bitch and pups and a huge vet bill..pet insurance does not ususlly cover pregnancy.
If you want another pup why not buy one from a reputable breeder who does the health checks? after all our dogs are our pets to love and care for..not to make money of..
check the link..
http://www.napoleon.org.uk/health/poodlehealth.htm

Julia
14-Oct-07, 21:57
I'm currently looking for a miniature poodle but I would not buy a pup unless I knew both parents were in good health, had good hip scores and had been PRA tested.

Breeding is a very expensive, stressful and time consuming task. IMHO the only reason to breed is to continue or improve on the pedigree, having a litter because it is good for the bitch is a complete myth.

A healthy pup will be one bought from a responsible breeder who completes and pays for the health checks pertaining to that particular breed.

lab
22-Oct-07, 23:23
My my lets all attack someone asking a simple question think if post read correctly she has said her poodle has had all nessesary health checks and she would do the same for any stud used god give the girl a break.

Liz
23-Oct-07, 13:10
What I was worried about is she said the reason she wanted the bitch to have a litter was because 'it was apparently better for the dog to have one litter' which isn't true!

porshiepoo
23-Oct-07, 18:31
My my lets all attack someone asking a simple question think if post read correctly she has said her poodle has had all nessesary health checks and she would do the same for any stud used god give the girl a break.

Oh thats alright then eh!
She obviously has no experience with litters and is basing the whole debacle on a piece of ridiculous information that says it's best for her dog to have at least one litter, but let's pay no never mind to that.
The fact that it's immensley time consuming, costly and very risky to mum and pups shouldn't put her off neither eh?

Oddquine
23-Oct-07, 20:09
Oh thats alright then eh!
She obviously has no experience with litters and is basing the whole debacle on a piece of ridiculous information that says it's best for her dog to have at least one litter, but let's pay no never mind to that.
The fact that it's immensley time consuming, costly and very risky to mum and pups shouldn't put her off neither eh?

Well, no if she's prepared and happy to spend the time and money and it would only be risky if she doesn't get the beat veterinary attention.

As to whether it is or isn't better to let a dog have a litter, doesn't it depend on whether she wants to have her dog spayed or not? If she doesn't she has been given the correct information.

I was told by my vet, when my dog got pyometra and nearly died that if I had let her have a litter it would have made it unlikely that she would have had the womb infection at all.

strathfleet
23-Oct-07, 22:20
I was told by my vet, when my dog got pyometra and nearly died that if I had let her have a litter it would have made it unlikely that she would have had the womb infection at all.[/quote]

I had a dog who had a couple of litters of pups who got pyometra and had to be operated on

mandy&baz
13-Jan-08, 15:55
This is going a bit far!!! i just wnted to know if any1 knew of some1 who had a male poodle for stud......obviously i would have to see all medical records and papers to ensure the dog was 100% fit for my dog........As i have said before my dog is 100% fit and healthy and has no health problems WHAT SO EVER her parents and grandparents were crufts champions so that just shows you the standard that the male would have to meet......does this settl every1s opinion........................................... ...................

and thanks to Lab for understanding.....i was just asking a question after all

Ash
13-Jan-08, 16:02
This is going a bit far!!! i just wnted to know if any1 knew of some1 who had a male poodle for stud......obviously i would have to see all medical records and papers to ensure the dog was 100% fit for my dog........As i have said before my dog is 100% fit and healthy and has no health problems WHAT SO EVER her parents and grandparents were crufts champions so that just shows you the standard that the male would have to meet......does this settl every1s opinion........................................... ...................

there are some people on the org who just wanna start arguments and think they know everything, if they were trying to help they never think of writing things nicely just start arguments, hope you find what your looking for and good luck :D

Liz
13-Jan-08, 18:45
The reason i am seeking a male is it is aparently better for the dogto have one litter.

Thanks

:Razz

You said you just wanted to know whether anyone had a male poodle for stud but this is not what you implied in your first post.

I was merely pointing out that it is a myth that it is 'better for the dog to have one litter.'

porshiepoo
13-Jan-08, 22:00

Believe me, take it from someone who has shown dogs (at Crufts level too), just because they do well in the show ring means absolutely nothing nowadays as to the actual health of the dog.

I'll rein it in a little bit though. I accept that you were only making enquiries into a possible stud dog and I'm sure that any future matings would not be taken lightly and I'm sure you would always have your dogs best interests at heart. I tend to run off quite easily and quickly with this subject purely because I know the disaster it can be to an unsuspecting owner who has been led to believe that a bitch is 'entitled' to one litter.
I apologise if I came across rather strong, however I stand by my belief that this should not be undertaken by someone inexperienced.

shhwelle
13-Jan-08, 22:57
As long as they are aware of the responsibility and seek advice from a vet. From what they have posted it seems they have their dogs best interests at heart.

After all how can someone gain experience without taking part in something to begin with? :confused

I'm sure even experienced people still need help and advice

Best of luck if you do decide to let her have a litter

:)

Liz
14-Jan-08, 13:47
I wasn't for one moment suggesting that they don't have their dog's best interest at heart as it is evident they do.

I was just clearing up the myth of it being better for a bitch to have one litter.

mandy&baz
15-Jan-08, 01:11
a well porshiepoo if you show dogs at crufts standard you will understand the standard of poodle i am seeking......or perhaps you will know of a crufts standard male poodle???

Phoenix200416
15-Jan-08, 19:07
Mainly posting because I HATE people to argue and thought I would share an impartial opinion on the subject just so everyone can see things from both angles. Well, I can see the good points from both sides of the arguement.

Firsty, in yout first post, Mandy&baz you didn't specify that you wanted a "crufts standard" poodle for your poodle bitch or that she had had necessary health checks. Also, everyone seems to have been trying to help when they thought that you only wanted to breed from her because as you said:

The reason i am seeking a male is it is aparently better for the dogto have one litter

I don't think anyone was trying to have a go, they were just putting you right on that subject, rather than ganging up on you as it might appear. :)

Also, I think that Oddquine and shhwelle are right, because no-one can learn unless they experience something and if you have the help and advice from people that have successful bred and raised a litter then it should all hopfully be well?

I don't want to be appearing to disagree or disrespect anyone who has had experience with breeding dogs, but you all have to start somewhere and if her dog has had the necessary health checks then I can't see a problem except maybe inexperience. Of course, as I said earlier she could get help with this aspect.

Mainly I don't think anyone was trying to cause an arguement or anything. I do wish you luck Mandy&baz, if you do still decide to breed her, I hope you find a stud.

porshiepoo
15-Jan-08, 22:47
a well porshiepoo if you show dogs at crufts standard you will understand the standard of poodle i am seeking......or perhaps you will know of a crufts standard male poodle???

Oh eck! Again, a crufts standard male poodle really doesn't mean a thing! You'd be just as well to do some research and get in touch with some Poodle experts and find out the info you're going to need. You could try Champdogs, there's a few breeders on there that I'm sure will be happy to give you some advice. Just don't be suprised if they bombard you with 'why do you want to breed' etc etc, any decent breeder with the best interests of the breed would do the same.
Like I said, try champdogs or find some breeders from the Kennel Club and you could ask them.
Poodles are beyond me unfortunately.!!!!!

mandy&baz
16-Jan-08, 18:48
ok thanks porshiepoo!!! i would prefer crufts standard stud as crufts standards and helth checks are extremly high and plus i want nly the best for my girl!!! :lol: lol!! i do know a few folk who have breed dogs and will probably seek some advice first but there is a few people saying she is too petted to breed which might just ruin the whole plan!!! thah happend to my westie when i went to breed her!!! every time the male went near her she sat down!! lol...............or maybe she just likes female dogs if thats possible!! ha ha ha

DeHaviLand
17-Jan-08, 00:08
Well, we can only pray it happens again :roll:

mandy&baz
22-Jan-08, 22:18
or not............